MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2005-08-30, 14:47
SlightlyInsane
Metalhead

Too much......

In my quest to be a great guitar player I've studied scales modes chords chord progresions and all kinds of theory but it seems like I stumble upon cool riffs and song possibilitys when I am not thinkin about all that crap. I look back now and wounder how much time I have wasted runnin up and down scales and tryin to learn every chord. I guess my question is, how much theory is enough. I know it does help alot but I think burying yourself in theory books and stuff 24/7 is not the way you become a great guitar player. just my 2 cents.

Old 2005-08-30, 14:54
SARS
Post-whore

I think that totally depends on what you plan on writing...

Old 2005-08-30, 16:09
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

This is a very odd "thread" doesn't seem to really fit in theory seems more like chit chat. . .. but eh, who cares? As far as theory goes, most of it is just to give you a basic idea of the conventional/normal function of things. . . most everything I do tends to be really unconventional. . . Theory is used in writing when you get really technical. . . or you could just shred and hope it sounds good. . . . Really though theory has helped a lot, how would you know exactly what chords to use in scale harmony with what you do write and how would you communicate it to another musician such as a bassist. I use a lot of theory in my writing but I generally just play a few little dittys then I notice something I like the sound of, figure out what key or scale it is in then I expand it. . . (don't usually use very much natural major or natural minor although Alexi Laiho uses a lot of natural minor in his solos). I like exotic things though, but I also like giving things my feel so they usually end up having very odd time signatures and shit oh well. . . going to go eat, later.

RIP Brian Daniel McDonough: June 30, 1983- April 13, 2006, One of the bass greats that never was discovered

Old 2005-08-31, 09:28
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Theory vs no theory has been done before. Just go with what you feel is natural and best suited to your style of writing.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn