Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-08-25, 21:57
Post-whore

i've seen malmsteen play one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!
Old 2005-08-25, 23:36
Post-whore

I've heard endless praise about LP's since I was young. Quite recently I had the chance to play a friend's Gibson LP *something*, which cost $1500. I was NOT AT ALL impressed, his Schecter C-1 kicks the shit out of his Gibson. In everything: tone, playability, neck thickness and width, action, feel, and strat shapes are cooler than LP's.

Even my cheap JS30 Jackson Kelly plays better than his LP(which I think my friend realized).

LP's are horribly overrated and overpriced. I feel that people who claim that "Gibsons and Marshalls are the only things that count" should hit upside the head, like a co-worker of mine that talks a lot of shit.

LP's are pretty though, and the clean tones are very warm and soft but that's about the only thing I could ever imagine buying an LP for: clean tones and decoration like someone said. Maybe not, I don't think LP's sustain too well...

By the way, In Flames' Björn Gelotte uses ESP EC's not Gibson LP's. He might now but I've never seen pics/vids of him with a Gibson though. Gibson Explorers and Flying V's are bad-ass, but still very overpriced and don't sustain too well.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2005-08-25, 23:57
Toast-whore

Send a message via MSN to OpethFan
Les Pauls dont hold up against a lot of guitars for metal playing.
But they are legendary, beautiful, and sound great in the styles of music they are developed for.

A lot of bands from different genre's use them, I know Peter from opeth does sometimes, Adam from tool uses them too.

I wouldnt get one for my metal playing, but since I do play stuff other than metal/shred i would love one for playing the older stuff, plus they are fuckin styley lookin

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2005-08-26, 00:40
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

IMHO its not so much the guitar , but more the amp and even more the player , take your shred guitar on a fender reverb your not sounding too metal there are you skippy, But ill take my old clunky paul and Ill rip your face off with a good solid hi gain balls to the wall stack,
I can play a paul , Im used to them I like them , Alot of you cats dont and its cool, theyre not for everybody either are strats , I personally dont like single coils , but yngwie wails with one as does hendrix. So dont play pauls , Its not a waste of money if first you can play em and secondly if you can afford one ,its not the guitar its the person playing it,
hey how many of you guys can wail with a ES 335 , I can , not to say im great but again I have one I play one so im used to it .
Its all subjective.
Old 2005-08-26, 00:55
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I've heard endless praise about LP's since I was young. Quite recently I had the chance to play a friend's Gibson LP *something*, which cost $1500. I was NOT AT ALL impressed, his Schecter C-1 kicks the shit out of his Gibson. In everything: tone, playability, neck thickness and width, action, feel, and strat shapes are cooler than LP's.

Even my cheap JS30 Jackson Kelly plays better than his LP(which I think my friend realized).

LP's are horribly overrated and overpriced. I feel that people who claim that "Gibsons and Marshalls are the only things that count" should hit upside the head, like a co-worker of mine that talks a lot of shit.

LP's are pretty though, and the clean tones are very warm and soft but that's about the only thing I could ever imagine buying an LP for: clean tones and decoration like someone said. Maybe not, I don't think LP's sustain too well...

By the way, In Flames' Björn Gelotte uses ESP EC's not Gibson LP's. He might now but I've never seen pics/vids of him with a Gibson though. Gibson Explorers and Flying V's are bad-ass, but still very overpriced and don't sustain too well.

Bjorn plays a LP custom fitted w/ EMG's.

http://dirtjunior.com/in31.jpg

I completely agree w/ you on the "LP's and Marshall" thing, which is true for people who don't know jack shit about guitar and gear. Those are the people that just go for the name and it's reputation. It's different for people who are really skilled and know what kind of guitar they want (feel, sound, etc.). Obviously, Zakk can use others guitars and amps besides "Gibson's and Marshall's" and sound just as good, but it doesn't go so overrated when someone who knows what they're doing chooses that gear IMO.
Old 2005-08-26, 01:11
Metalhead

I bought a Gibson LP Studio about 6 years ago and was my main guitar for a very long time. You are right with saying that you sometimes have to "fight" for the tone, but the tone you will get by this is fuckin' amazing. Full, warm, really powerfull. A Paul with a nice SD SH-4 and a decent tube-amp will give you some really powefull and mighty metal-tones, rythm and lead.

And in my opinion you can play all styles of music with a Paul. Blues, Jazz, Rock, Metal (even the extreme styles) ... no problem.

http://www.myspace.com/codeofhonour
Old 2005-08-26, 01:54
Post-whore

Yeah I guess it also depends on which 'Paul you play. I played a Classic and it was really warm and dark sounding, not as powerful and aggressive, which was suited more for like classic rock and stuff. On the other hand, I tried a LP custom and that thing fucking screamed. I just had it hooked up to a Crate BV w/ no effects or anything, just the dist. on it and it sounded so powerful w/ leads, and harmonics were pulling off really nicely.
Old 2005-08-26, 06:14
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I love to play les pauls, yes I only own superstrats but I've been caught playing Gibsons live on more then one occasion

I've played a classic and a standard for quite a while and those things just have 'mojo', it's not something you can easily grasp. sure they're not too versatile, sure they're heavy as fuck and sure they're not that easy to play on the higher frets. but they just have something going, besides the immense sustain and tone that they got.

don't get me wrong, I don't prefer a les paul for what I play but I'de love to have one of those ancient LP custom's in cherry red. just to have around for when I'm older. good investment and man, they will allways sound the part. you can't say that about any regular ibanez rg, jackson soloist, bc rich warlock or even an esp kamikaze.
Old 2005-08-26, 06:53
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Some one said about the les paul studio, The studio is on the low end of the Les paul line ,
probably first is the Custom with block inlays , theyre expensive cause now only gibson custom shop makes the new ones , Randy Zakk , john Sykes use those among others , You have the Supreme, I never played one of those yet , but they have fancy inlays are expensive as shit even here in the U.S,
The one most people pros use is the Standard, thats the page , clapton, peter green thin lizzy etc, they now come with burstbucker pros which IMHO scream , Then you have the classics which have hot pick ups i believe are 500 t 496 r , some believe theyre too hot ,
then comes the studio which IMHO suck .
Now as I stated before especially with standards you have your choice of 50s fat necks , Which is too big for my hands but on the other hands if you are a slow type lead player ,bad company etc , I know not death metal enuff than thats the guitar , a fatter neck sounds awsum and sustains for days, the 60s neck are thinner and faster. Most lead players use that , now obviously unles its a custom shop , gibson puts in gibson pick ups , I think the burstbuckers are great but you may not , You can swap em .
A paul is not for everyone , Either is a 7 string , but a waste of money , hell no .
I do like i say have 8 , LPs , I have ESP eclipse JH-3 and LTD truckster which are all les paul shaped but my Gibsons own them.
For me I love the way jacksons look especally the Dinky I but everytime I play a Jackson I hate the neck it has a weird shape for me , But I love my Deans and ESPs and gibson
The point and im not arguing its all subjective ,, just grab a axe and play dont matter what it is unless its a real dawg.
peace
Old 2005-08-26, 08:04
Supreme Metalhead

I think that les pauls rock. There are other great guitars but les paul is a fucking good one. I own a Gibson lp special and it sounds really great in my opinion.

Edit: BTW Foxguitar, no offence, but you must be rich if you have enough money to buy that many guitars. Did you get them new or used?

Last edited by IRON90 : 2005-08-26 at 08:06.
Old 2005-08-26, 08:11
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Edit: BTW Foxguitar, no offence, but you must be rich if you have enough money to buy that many guitars. Did you get them new or used?[/QUOTE]
No offense taken , I got a great job , I bought them all new,
one was a graduation gift , I got my custom in 75 . The rest Ive bought in the last 5 years, To me they are great great guitars , like Ive said before Im not a deth metal dude. Im more think grave digger primal fear , John sykes , mercyful fate , Gary Moore , Saxon , Old priest , that type, So a paul is great for what I do.
Old 2005-08-26, 09:10
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Gamma Send a message via MSN to Gamma
Off the top of my head In Flames and Naglfar use Les Pauls.
And Naglfars pretty damn heavy.

I think its just a matter of replacing the pickups, after that its a very good guitar so I don't see why people are complaining so much. I guess it IS just a matter of the pickups. Might as well take em off save em for later XD

but OWNING a les paul imo, is like a man buying a porsche, its a treat for your self. you don't go out soccer pooling your kids in your porsche, so you dont go out shredding cannibal corpse on your les paul.
Old 2005-08-26, 09:48
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma
but OWNING a les paul imo, is like a man buying a porsche, its a treat for your self. you don't go out soccer pooling your kids in your porsche, so you dont go out shredding cannibal corpse on your les paul.

Then buying a top of the line Jackson or a custom Ran is like buying a Ferrari that's meant for you to rev the shit out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguitar
Have you played a les paul , a gibson not a Epi , if you have was it a 60s neck or 50s , if you played one at you still dont like it thats cool , but if you havent then Id suggest you try it , As far as the explorer goes its very similiar to a paul in the neck and you for sure cant sit with one , I have too explorers I happen to like em,
And probably In Australia I would think the Japanese guitars would be alot cheaper < Am I right , Gibson LPs here in the states are expensive as shit too, But like I said before I personally love Les Pauls but thats me , Im also a bigger type guy , So to each their own

I have played Gibson and Epi Les Pauls as well as an Epi Explorer. I find the guitars far too weighty and the necks far to thick. They just don't suit me.

At the moment my favourite guitar is my KVX10 and I doubt that will change for a considerable amount of time. It suits my playing perfectly. Shred and death metal i.e Cryptopsy, Nile, Cephalic Carnage, Origin, Martyr, Necrophagist...

I guess it all depends on 'what floats ya boat', to be horribly cliche.

Just Click On These
Friendship In School Hours
StraightEdge Tattoo Removalist
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns
Old 2005-08-26, 10:09
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420
Then buying a top of the line Jackson or a custom Ran is like buying a Ferrari that's meant for you to rev the shit out of it.

hell fucking yeah!
Old 2005-08-26, 10:55
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Gamma Send a message via MSN to Gamma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420

Agreed.

AND I FORGOT ONE OTHER BAND.

DARK TRANQUILLITY.

These fuckers are amazing and the fucking lead guitarist uses a Les Paul. These bastards are kings of MDM and are just brilliant.
Old 2005-08-26, 11:20
Senior Metalhead

I must say i do like the sound of a les paul...but i prefer the SG, its much lighter, and you can shred on it. Im pretty sure thats what iommi uses. But why would you get a gibson LP,then replace the picups? It eleminates the reason for getting an LP, to put it on display in a glass frame, haha.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount
Old 2005-08-26, 11:21
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Insomnium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
I know several that shred with a Les Paul.

It doesnt take an axe just like ones hero to jam......Metal comes from the heart....not some over rated pickups.

Pick up and play for christs sake instead of dissecting every single millimeter of equiptment.....unless you're a POSER.

So let me get this straight... Real players just pick up a guitar and play, just like every teenager in the world, but posers learn their shit and study the instrument? Oh, ok, i get it.
Old 2005-08-26, 12:44
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
A LTD to a ESP is not the same as a EPI is to a gibson , first off Epi are for the most part horrendous , a LTD on the otherhand at least the 1000 series are great guitars , Now as far as the paul is concern , alot of shredders use em Randy ,Gary Moore , Warren Hynes zakk Slash ,Clapton when he was a guitar god , Thin Lizzy, Even Metallica more and more are using em as we said before , but if you dont like Les pauls thats cool. I hate BC richs , alot of people swear by em ,
To each their own, besides thats more Les Pauls for me.

None of these guys seem like shredders to me. The only shredder that really uses a paul is buckethead, and its probably real custom to be more of a shred guitar.

Quote:
IMHO its not so much the guitar , but more the amp and even more the player , take your shred guitar on a fender reverb your not sounding too metal there are you skippy, But ill take my old clunky paul and Ill rip your face off with a good solid hi gain balls to the wall stack,
I can play a paul , Im used to them I like them , Alot of you cats dont and its cool, theyre not for everybody either are strats , I personally dont like single coils , but yngwie wails with one as does hendrix. So dont play pauls , Its not a waste of money if first you can play em and secondly if you can afford one ,its not the guitar its the person playing it,
hey how many of you guys can wail with a ES 335 , I can , not to say im great but again I have one I play one so im used to it .
Its all subjective.

Its easy to wail on an ES 335. When i went to Jazz camp, everyone played hollow bodies, and all the proffessors used em, and would play just as fast as any shredder. And when i was able to use em, they really were comfortable to play chords then solo right over them.

Also Mr. Fox, im not saying you haven't, but ive been reading your posts, and you really never mention or bash many other brands like Jackson or Ibanez. Which is nice and all, but, that leads me to believe that your possibly, (dont take offence im only speculating cause we have many of these in my area), on of those guys that are too stubborn to even try touching any other kinda of guitar except those classics. I have shown a couple people that have les pauls the light by showing them some other good guitars. I feel that possibly that you either have not taken notice of some other great guitars, or you have played one but didnt give it enough appreciation. You also, which is a huge mistake by many, take it off the shelf and judge it by playing it there. Its never set up ever, and becomes ten times better after. You also might have just played a lower end model, even ones that were expensive, but still lower end, and judged it with that.

I dont know if any of these are true, but if they are, go find a friend with like a Ibanez Prestige or Jem or a Jackson USA. You may be suprised. ANd i just got a Jackson USA soloist, and its has an ALder body, and i dont know how they do it, but they sound real good and warm, to me at least. So even some well made guitars of other than Mahogany sound really good. This is just a thought, this very well may not be you in the least bit, but if it is, give some of those other guitars a shot.

Last edited by madtrixcerenzia : 2005-08-26 at 13:11.
Old 2005-08-26, 13:01
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrixcerenzia
It doesnt take an axe just like ones hero to jam......Metal comes from the heart....not some over rated pickups.

Pick up and play for christs sake instead of dissecting every single millimeter of equiptment.....unless you're a POSER.

That was a very one-dimensional thing to say ... these "posers" you speak of more often than not are the ones practicing into the wee hours of the morning.
Old 2005-08-26, 13:03
bugfucker strikes back.

Send a message via AIM to Dissection
*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

Awesome.