MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-08-25, 17:52
Senior Metalhead

Les Pauls. . . A waste of money?

This is just my opinion, and before anything happens, i just want to say, lets just be calm about this whole thing.

I feel Les Pauls really truly aren't good at anything but rhythm guitar and sloppy blues/classic rock. If you are good enough at guitar and want to spend over 2000 on a guitar, i should think you are something better than just rhythm play unless that is your occupation of course. Because it has humbuckers, when you turn it down, i cant really describe it, buts its just like 'blah'. Strats sound great for the blues, and have great dynamic control on the volume knobs, and from physical playing from the single coils. So strats are already a better buy for blues. Bluegrass/slide and jazz both sorta have their own guitars, the hollow bodies (strats i find work nicely too), and them metal plated guitars, or whatever (Im not a dumbass about guitar, but i just cant think of what they are called). Metal and shredding, lets face it, the les paul couldnt come close to Jackson/Carvin/Schecter/Ibanez/LTD/ESP/etc. To me, that sharper edge where my are sorta rests has a very hard time getting comfortable on a les paul, which is something that Fender seemed to notice and improved on.

So thats not really leaving too many more genres for les paul to be good in beside the genres that were developed that were forced to use the les paul. Really, the thick neck and mahagony body just give it a heavy, thick tone that i find only good for rhythm guitar, like in a punk/pop rock situation.

Basically i am just saying, for the money your dishing out, its probably the least versitile guitar on the market, and the only reason its popular is because it was the first of its kind, so all the older guys grew up playing them, and automatically became used to them. I mean lets be serious, do you really think that the first solid body guitar would come out to be the best solid bodyguitar out there, like so many think it is? Thats a bunch of bullshit if you ask me, all it did was set a standard, and so many people just got used to them over the years, so when something new came out, they were so used to the les paul, they ultimately said the new ones sucked/werent as good.

I dont want to make this post longer than it already is, so i will just save whatever i have to say until people begin to state their opinions. And if you can, really try your best to keep calm, but i think getting into arguements is the whole fun part about these forums. When there isnt one, i find it hard to stay on here, if you know what i mean.
Old 2005-08-25, 17:57
Post-whore

Off the top of my head, In Flames use Les Pauls, and last time i listened, Led Zepplin sounded pretty tight and not sloppy

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven
Old 2005-08-25, 18:00
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Your entitled to your opinion, so no argument here , But I feel your wrong, Les Pauls are IMHO the cadillac of guitars , Look at when guitar players had to be really really good , Most not all played Pauls why because they are the best , now mind you Gibson did go thru a shit period mid to late 70s to mid 80s when Norlin owned them and fucked em up , thats when alot of guys went to Jacksons charvels etc.
Im not saying every one loves Pauls , I for one do , and I have 8 , I also own ESPs Eclipse which is great axe but not as good as the Gibson , To each their own but ask most pros who know their shit ,
But if you disagree thats cool , I have a strat HSS , I hate it , but I love Hendrix , blackmore and Trower so go figure. last time I looked Zakk was playing Hmmmmm a Paul
Peace out
Old 2005-08-25, 18:09
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
Off the top of my head, In Flames use Les Pauls, and last time i listened, Led Zepplin sounded pretty tight and not sloppy

Yes, the heartbreaker solo and the rock and roll solo are super clean. And Page's live stuff, not one open string. Of course i am being sarcastic, but just for the record before continueing this thread, sloppy blues isnt a bad thing at all. Thats a desired sound to many many many people, they just dont know it. I mean page had a shit load of feel and passion, but was sloppy, and petrucci is crystal clear, but i would, any day, listen to some of the Led Zepp than that petrucci stuff thats so practiced. Sloppy stuff, in most cases, is not practiced and comes from the heart, hence why it is sloppy, it is often more spontaneous.

Last edited by madtrixcerenzia : 2005-08-25 at 18:14.
Old 2005-08-25, 18:12
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguitar
Your entitled to your opinion, so no argument here , But I feel your wrong, Les Pauls are IMHO the cadillac of guitars , Look at when guitar players had to be really really good , Most not all played Pauls why because they are the best , now mind you Gibson did go thru a shit period mid to late 70s to mid 80s when Norlin owned them and fucked em up , thats when alot of guys went to Jacksons charvels etc.
Im not saying every one loves Pauls , I for one do , and I have 8 , I also own ESPs Eclipse which is great axe but not as good as the Gibson , To each their own but ask most pros who know their shit ,
But if you disagree thats cool , I have a strat HSS , I hate it , but I love Hendrix , blackmore and Trower so go figure. last time I looked Zakk was playing Hmmmmm a Paul
Peace out

Dude, you would love this guy i know. Vic Depra. He owns the guitar gallery down the road, and is a world renowned les paul collector. He has over 50. He has 8 58's, and 9 59's, and he loves les pauls. He also loves sloppy blues, and the real melodic kind of blues that isnt practiced and really comes from the heart. That stuff just really sets him off.

I still stick to what i said, im not saying les pauls suck ass, but i think there are worlds more guitars that are way more versitile, feel better, sound cleaner, and are much much cheaper.
Old 2005-08-25, 18:17
Post-whore

Send a message via ICQ to h4x5k8 Send a message via AIM to h4x5k8 Send a message via MSN to h4x5k8 Send a message via Yahoo to h4x5k8
One thing that gets to me with my Epi paul is the weight, and gibsons are even heavier. It would just get uncomfertble(sp?) after a while.
Old 2005-08-25, 18:22
New Blood

What I don't get is why people associate Les Pauls with rhythm. They're big and beefy, does that make them easier to play for rhythm? Fuck no. I've got some LP knockoffs and a Hagstrom Swede which basically is an LP and I've got to say it's like a breath of fresh air when I play something like a Jackson or an ESP. The neck just feels so good and I love to sit down and practice/write on them. I mean unless I had really big hands I don't really see the advantage of playing an LP over something with a more comfortable neck. The only reason I have LPs is because I think they are freaking beautiful. I'll always play with them live because when I play live I'm playing what I've rehearsed a gazillion times so it really doesn't matter what guitar I play.

But hey when it all comes down to it, you should play the guitar that YOU find comfortable/enjoyable. Don't play what X band, X scene, X bandmate tells you what you'll like because they don't know shit in the house of me, now do they?
Old 2005-08-25, 18:26
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloominati
What I don't get is why people associate Les Pauls with rhythm. They're big and beefy, does that make them easier to play for rhythm? Fuck no. I've got some LP knockoffs and a Hagstrom Swede which basically is an LP and I've got to say it's like a breath of fresh air when I play something like a Jackson or an ESP. The neck just feels so good and I love to sit down and practice/write on them. I mean unless I had really big hands I don't really see the advantage of playing an LP over something with a more comfortable neck. The only reason I have LPs is because I think they are freaking beautiful. I'll always play with them live because when I play live I'm playing what I've rehearsed a gazillion times so it really doesn't matter what guitar I play.

But hey when it all comes down to it, you should play the guitar that YOU find comfortable/enjoyable. Don't play what X band, X scene, X bandmate tells you what you'll like because they don't know shit in the house of me, now do they?

Yeah, i agree there too, to be honest, i dont think they are good in any genre, they are merely still bought for those who grew up playing them, and got used to them.

buying whats comfortable too. . .word.
Old 2005-08-25, 18:33
Post-whore

I think they're good cuz they're versatile, you can use them for metal, rock, some bluesy stuff, I dunno, maybe even country. Listen to fucking Zakk man, badass riffing and lead playing. I dunno I can't think of anyone else that's plays so powerful w/ a Les Paul.
Old 2005-08-25, 18:49
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
I think they're good cuz they're versatile, you can use them for metal, rock, some bluesy stuff, I dunno, maybe even country. Listen to fucking Zakk man, badass riffing and lead playing. I dunno I can't think of anyone else that's plays so powerful w/ a Les Paul.

Unless you're playing a classical guitar or something with shit hardware, aren't pretty much all guitars of the same versatility? I think people tend to associate guitars to the bands and people that play them, which I guess makes sense on a visual stage presence level, but otherwise doesn't really matter. I'm sure Zakk Wylde sounds just as powerful when he plays a Jackson, he's just fond of Gibsons for whatever personal reason.
Old 2005-08-25, 19:57
Senior Metalhead

dude. have you ever played a solo on a Les Paul? Pretty Crisp, Bright fucking tones man.
Old 2005-08-25, 20:02
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

A Epi is not in a gibsons league

A LTD to a ESP is not the same as a EPI is to a gibson , first off Epi are for the most part horrendous , a LTD on the otherhand at least the 1000 series are great guitars , Now as far as the paul is concern , alot of shredders use em Randy ,Gary Moore , Warren Hynes zakk Slash ,Clapton when he was a guitar god , Thin Lizzy, Even Metallica more and more are using em as we said before , but if you dont like Les pauls thats cool. I hate BC richs , alot of people swear by em ,
To each their own, besides thats more Les Pauls for me.
Old 2005-08-25, 20:05
Senior Metalhead

I'm totally with you, I think the guitars are a waste of money, especially if you're wanting to play metal. Admitidly a lot of good players use them, but that's their choice and how they like it, though in my opinion LPs are crappy guitars. (For my personal taste) They weigh too much. The necks are too fat and frequently have a horrible plastic glaze. They're ugly and don't seem to hold the notes, despite the reputation of insane sustain on them. The stock pickups are horrific and not even worth owning. As for the 21 fret limit, I don't like that. Also due to the shape it's hard to get into the higher strings. I play with floating tremolo so I can't get comfortable with the rigidity of a LP, in the action, the picking and in the fretting.

I've played a couple of Gibson LPs, all of which I was dissapointed in. I traded in my custom LP (was a white gibson with silverry vines all over it, picked up cheap from the internet) a few years ago and got my Maverick which is a hell of a lot better.

If you disagree with what I've said and feel like arguing, do it in a constructive/educated manner...

"The only thing worse than a LP copy is an Epiphone Les Paul"
Old 2005-08-25, 20:09
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DEAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguitar
Peace out

I whole heartedly disagree.

I think many muscians used them "back when you had to be good" was because there were only two options, Fender and Gibson. And the era you are talking about, the idea of a humbucker in a fender didnt exist, EVH was the first to do that. SO, if you wanted that big solid tone, you would get a Les Paul because of the humbuckers, large body, set neck, and mahagoney (i could wrong about the wood, but I'm pretty sure) body which gives a much deeper tone than the Alder Fenders.

Now, as music progressed in the 80's we saw rise of musicanship (IMO this is when you had to be good) and the super strat came out with companies like Jackson/Carvel and Carvin endorsing artists like Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Steve Vai, ect. ect. This rise in musicianship propted the production of the superstrat. This amazing guitar players demanded a light body weight, humbucker, neck through body construction, 24 frets, Jumbo frets, fast neck, and a locking trem. NONE of these were offered by Gibson, and Fender only had a light body weight going for them.

So totaly contrary to what you are saying, great muscians demanded guitars to cater to thier style of play, which was basicly the total opposite of a Gibson Les Paul.

I believe Pauls are a waste fo money, they are nowhere near worth the money, and they are really only good for blues and rhytm work. Now, a Paul is fine for what you play and what Zack Wyle and otehr play, moderatley difficult lead playing and heavy rythm work. Now take a look at what really world class shredders play. Thats right, high end custom guitars usualy superstart-esque. All theos people you mentioned, is regarding person musical taste and only looking at technical abbility, they are nothing.

OWNT.
Comforting silence
Old 2005-08-25, 20:17
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by deifiler
"The only thing worse than a LP copy is an Epiphone Les Paul"

Tokai Love Rock owns ya.
Old 2005-08-25, 20:31
Senior Metalhead

I personally hate LPs. Chunky as fuck, thick necks but seeing everyone uses has them, they must be good.

If I'd ever get a Gibson, I'd probably get an Explorer but what's the point paying $2000(AU) when I can get a KE3 for half the price or a personalized Ran for the same amount? Oh hold on. I've already got a Kelly and it's got the thinnest neck and lowest action I've seen, not to mention light as fuck and sounds awesome.

I don't know about you, but I'd favour getting a guitar that suits me a lot better than an overpriced, generic, fat arse of a guitar. Perhaps that's just me?

Just because Gibson is the heavyweight brand of the guitar industry and pays big names to play their guitars doesn't mean you should defend them.

but Jimmy Paige used them and the almighty Zakk uses them-WHO THE FUCK CARES?

Just Click On These
Friendship In School Hours
StraightEdge Tattoo Removalist
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns
Old 2005-08-25, 21:39
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Have you played a les paul , a gibson not a Epi , if you have was it a 60s neck or 50s , if you played one at you still dont like it thats cool , but if you havent then Id suggest you try it , As far as the explorer goes its very similiar to a paul in the neck and you for sure cant sit with one , I have too explorers I happen to like em,
And probably In Australia I would think the Japanese guitars would be alot cheaper < Am I right , Gibson LPs here in the states are expensive as shit too, But like I said before I personally love Les Pauls but thats me , Im also a bigger type guy , So to each their own
Old 2005-08-25, 21:45
Post-whore

i agree with what ur saying. owning a les paul is like owning a peice of history. its the first guitar that use humbuckers. it feels very weird playing on a tune-o-matic bridge from a original flody rose. fender is a little peice of history as well. thats the only reason i would buy a les paul (my opionon) as more of a decoration, if it could stay on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!
Old 2005-08-25, 21:50
Muffin Ass

I know several that shred with a Les Paul.

It doesnt take an axe just like ones hero to jam......Metal comes from the heart....not some over rated pickups.

Pick up and play for christs sake instead of dissecting every single millimeter of equiptment.....unless you're a POSER.
Old 2005-08-25, 21:57
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

well said, If you got chops you can sound good on any decent guitar , actually IMHO more important is not what axe you use except of course its a 2 dollar rubberband strung POS is the amp you use. A great guitar player will sound like balls on a shitty amp even if he has the mother of all guitars , but yet give me a 200 dollar starter guitar on a great amp , Ill kick ass. Dont believe me next time you go to GC or sam ash where they let you play all the stuff take a cool guitar plug into a crud amp , then take a cheapey guitar plug into a decent amp, Then let me know.
Peace