MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2005-08-25, 22:52
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Les Pauls. . . A waste of money?

This is just my opinion, and before anything happens, i just want to say, lets just be calm about this whole thing.

I feel Les Pauls really truly aren't good at anything but rhythm guitar and sloppy blues/classic rock. If you are good enough at guitar and want to spend over 2000 on a guitar, i should think you are something better than just rhythm play unless that is your occupation of course. Because it has humbuckers, when you turn it down, i cant really describe it, buts its just like 'blah'. Strats sound great for the blues, and have great dynamic control on the volume knobs, and from physical playing from the single coils. So strats are already a better buy for blues. Bluegrass/slide and jazz both sorta have their own guitars, the hollow bodies (strats i find work nicely too), and them metal plated guitars, or whatever (Im not a dumbass about guitar, but i just cant think of what they are called). Metal and shredding, lets face it, the les paul couldnt come close to Jackson/Carvin/Schecter/Ibanez/LTD/ESP/etc. To me, that sharper edge where my are sorta rests has a very hard time getting comfortable on a les paul, which is something that Fender seemed to notice and improved on.

So thats not really leaving too many more genres for les paul to be good in beside the genres that were developed that were forced to use the les paul. Really, the thick neck and mahagony body just give it a heavy, thick tone that i find only good for rhythm guitar, like in a punk/pop rock situation.

Basically i am just saying, for the money your dishing out, its probably the least versitile guitar on the market, and the only reason its popular is because it was the first of its kind, so all the older guys grew up playing them, and automatically became used to them. I mean lets be serious, do you really think that the first solid body guitar would come out to be the best solid bodyguitar out there, like so many think it is? Thats a bunch of bullshit if you ask me, all it did was set a standard, and so many people just got used to them over the years, so when something new came out, they were so used to the les paul, they ultimately said the new ones sucked/werent as good.

I dont want to make this post longer than it already is, so i will just save whatever i have to say until people begin to state their opinions. And if you can, really try your best to keep calm, but i think getting into arguements is the whole fun part about these forums. When there isnt one, i find it hard to stay on here, if you know what i mean.

Old 2005-08-25, 22:57
sqol
Post-whore

Off the top of my head, In Flames use Les Pauls, and last time i listened, Led Zepplin sounded pretty tight and not sloppy

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2005-08-25, 23:00
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Your entitled to your opinion, so no argument here , But I feel your wrong, Les Pauls are IMHO the cadillac of guitars , Look at when guitar players had to be really really good , Most not all played Pauls why because they are the best , now mind you Gibson did go thru a shit period mid to late 70s to mid 80s when Norlin owned them and fucked em up , thats when alot of guys went to Jacksons charvels etc.
Im not saying every one loves Pauls , I for one do , and I have 8 , I also own ESPs Eclipse which is great axe but not as good as the Gibson , To each their own but ask most pros who know their shit ,
But if you disagree thats cool , I have a strat HSS , I hate it , but I love Hendrix , blackmore and Trower so go figure. last time I looked Zakk was playing Hmmmmm a Paul
Peace out

Old 2005-08-25, 23:09
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
Off the top of my head, In Flames use Les Pauls, and last time i listened, Led Zepplin sounded pretty tight and not sloppy

Yes, the heartbreaker solo and the rock and roll solo are super clean. And Page's live stuff, not one open string. Of course i am being sarcastic, but just for the record before continueing this thread, sloppy blues isnt a bad thing at all. Thats a desired sound to many many many people, they just dont know it. I mean page had a shit load of feel and passion, but was sloppy, and petrucci is crystal clear, but i would, any day, listen to some of the Led Zepp than that petrucci stuff thats so practiced. Sloppy stuff, in most cases, is not practiced and comes from the heart, hence why it is sloppy, it is often more spontaneous.

Last edited by madtrixcerenzia : 2005-08-25 at 23:14.

Old 2005-08-25, 23:12
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguitar
Your entitled to your opinion, so no argument here , But I feel your wrong, Les Pauls are IMHO the cadillac of guitars , Look at when guitar players had to be really really good , Most not all played Pauls why because they are the best , now mind you Gibson did go thru a shit period mid to late 70s to mid 80s when Norlin owned them and fucked em up , thats when alot of guys went to Jacksons charvels etc.
Im not saying every one loves Pauls , I for one do , and I have 8 , I also own ESPs Eclipse which is great axe but not as good as the Gibson , To each their own but ask most pros who know their shit ,
But if you disagree thats cool , I have a strat HSS , I hate it , but I love Hendrix , blackmore and Trower so go figure. last time I looked Zakk was playing Hmmmmm a Paul
Peace out

Dude, you would love this guy i know. Vic Depra. He owns the guitar gallery down the road, and is a world renowned les paul collector. He has over 50. He has 8 58's, and 9 59's, and he loves les pauls. He also loves sloppy blues, and the real melodic kind of blues that isnt practiced and really comes from the heart. That stuff just really sets him off.

I still stick to what i said, im not saying les pauls suck ass, but i think there are worlds more guitars that are way more versitile, feel better, sound cleaner, and are much much cheaper.

Old 2005-08-25, 23:17
h4x5k8
Post-whore

One thing that gets to me with my Epi paul is the weight, and gibsons are even heavier. It would just get uncomfertble(sp?) after a while.

Old 2005-08-25, 23:22
Gloominati
New Blood

What I don't get is why people associate Les Pauls with rhythm. They're big and beefy, does that make them easier to play for rhythm? Fuck no. I've got some LP knockoffs and a Hagstrom Swede which basically is an LP and I've got to say it's like a breath of fresh air when I play something like a Jackson or an ESP. The neck just feels so good and I love to sit down and practice/write on them. I mean unless I had really big hands I don't really see the advantage of playing an LP over something with a more comfortable neck. The only reason I have LPs is because I think they are freaking beautiful. I'll always play with them live because when I play live I'm playing what I've rehearsed a gazillion times so it really doesn't matter what guitar I play.

But hey when it all comes down to it, you should play the guitar that YOU find comfortable/enjoyable. Don't play what X band, X scene, X bandmate tells you what you'll like because they don't know shit in the house of me, now do they?

Old 2005-08-25, 23:26
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloominati
What I don't get is why people associate Les Pauls with rhythm. They're big and beefy, does that make them easier to play for rhythm? Fuck no. I've got some LP knockoffs and a Hagstrom Swede which basically is an LP and I've got to say it's like a breath of fresh air when I play something like a Jackson or an ESP. The neck just feels so good and I love to sit down and practice/write on them. I mean unless I had really big hands I don't really see the advantage of playing an LP over something with a more comfortable neck. The only reason I have LPs is because I think they are freaking beautiful. I'll always play with them live because when I play live I'm playing what I've rehearsed a gazillion times so it really doesn't matter what guitar I play.

But hey when it all comes down to it, you should play the guitar that YOU find comfortable/enjoyable. Don't play what X band, X scene, X bandmate tells you what you'll like because they don't know shit in the house of me, now do they?

Yeah, i agree there too, to be honest, i dont think they are good in any genre, they are merely still bought for those who grew up playing them, and got used to them.

buying whats comfortable too. . .word.

Old 2005-08-25, 23:33
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I think they're good cuz they're versatile, you can use them for metal, rock, some bluesy stuff, I dunno, maybe even country. Listen to fucking Zakk man, badass riffing and lead playing. I dunno I can't think of anyone else that's plays so powerful w/ a Les Paul.

Old 2005-08-25, 23:49
Gloominati
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
I think they're good cuz they're versatile, you can use them for metal, rock, some bluesy stuff, I dunno, maybe even country. Listen to fucking Zakk man, badass riffing and lead playing. I dunno I can't think of anyone else that's plays so powerful w/ a Les Paul.

Unless you're playing a classical guitar or something with shit hardware, aren't pretty much all guitars of the same versatility? I think people tend to associate guitars to the bands and people that play them, which I guess makes sense on a visual stage presence level, but otherwise doesn't really matter. I'm sure Zakk Wylde sounds just as powerful when he plays a Jackson, he's just fond of Gibsons for whatever personal reason.

Old 2005-08-26, 00:57
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

dude. have you ever played a solo on a Les Paul? Pretty Crisp, Bright fucking tones man.

Old 2005-08-26, 01:02
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

A Epi is not in a gibsons league

A LTD to a ESP is not the same as a EPI is to a gibson , first off Epi are for the most part horrendous , a LTD on the otherhand at least the 1000 series are great guitars , Now as far as the paul is concern , alot of shredders use em Randy ,Gary Moore , Warren Hynes zakk Slash ,Clapton when he was a guitar god , Thin Lizzy, Even Metallica more and more are using em as we said before , but if you dont like Les pauls thats cool. I hate BC richs , alot of people swear by em ,
To each their own, besides thats more Les Pauls for me.

Old 2005-08-26, 01:05
deifiler
Senior Metalhead

I'm totally with you, I think the guitars are a waste of money, especially if you're wanting to play metal. Admitidly a lot of good players use them, but that's their choice and how they like it, though in my opinion LPs are crappy guitars. (For my personal taste) They weigh too much. The necks are too fat and frequently have a horrible plastic glaze. They're ugly and don't seem to hold the notes, despite the reputation of insane sustain on them. The stock pickups are horrific and not even worth owning. As for the 21 fret limit, I don't like that. Also due to the shape it's hard to get into the higher strings. I play with floating tremolo so I can't get comfortable with the rigidity of a LP, in the action, the picking and in the fretting.

I've played a couple of Gibson LPs, all of which I was dissapointed in. I traded in my custom LP (was a white gibson with silverry vines all over it, picked up cheap from the internet) a few years ago and got my Maverick which is a hell of a lot better.

If you disagree with what I've said and feel like arguing, do it in a constructive/educated manner...

"The only thing worse than a LP copy is an Epiphone Les Paul"

Old 2005-08-26, 01:09
DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
Peace out

I whole heartedly disagree.

I think many muscians used them "back when you had to be good" was because there were only two options, Fender and Gibson. And the era you are talking about, the idea of a humbucker in a fender didnt exist, EVH was the first to do that. SO, if you wanted that big solid tone, you would get a Les Paul because of the humbuckers, large body, set neck, and mahagoney (i could wrong about the wood, but I'm pretty sure) body which gives a much deeper tone than the Alder Fenders.

Now, as music progressed in the 80's we saw rise of musicanship (IMO this is when you had to be good) and the super strat came out with companies like Jackson/Carvel and Carvin endorsing artists like Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Steve Vai, ect. ect. This rise in musicianship propted the production of the superstrat. This amazing guitar players demanded a light body weight, humbucker, neck through body construction, 24 frets, Jumbo frets, fast neck, and a locking trem. NONE of these were offered by Gibson, and Fender only had a light body weight going for them.

So totaly contrary to what you are saying, great muscians demanded guitars to cater to thier style of play, which was basicly the total opposite of a Gibson Les Paul.

I believe Pauls are a waste fo money, they are nowhere near worth the money, and they are really only good for blues and rhytm work. Now, a Paul is fine for what you play and what Zack Wyle and otehr play, moderatley difficult lead playing and heavy rythm work. Now take a look at what really world class shredders play. Thats right, high end custom guitars usualy superstart-esque. All theos people you mentioned, is regarding person musical taste and only looking at technical abbility, they are nothing.

OWNT.
Comforting silence

Old 2005-08-26, 01:17
Gloominati
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by deifiler
"The only thing worse than a LP copy is an Epiphone Les Paul"

Tokai Love Rock owns ya.

Old 2005-08-26, 01:31
Seve420
Senior Metalhead

I personally hate LPs. Chunky as fuck, thick necks but seeing everyone uses has them, they must be good.

If I'd ever get a Gibson, I'd probably get an Explorer but what's the point paying $2000(AU) when I can get a KE3 for half the price or a personalized Ran for the same amount? Oh hold on. I've already got a Kelly and it's got the thinnest neck and lowest action I've seen, not to mention light as fuck and sounds awesome.

I don't know about you, but I'd favour getting a guitar that suits me a lot better than an overpriced, generic, fat arse of a guitar. Perhaps that's just me?

Just because Gibson is the heavyweight brand of the guitar industry and pays big names to play their guitars doesn't mean you should defend them.

but Jimmy Paige used them and the almighty Zakk uses them-WHO THE FUCK CARES?

Just Click On These
Friendship In School Hours
StraightEdge Tattoo Removalist
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns

Old 2005-08-26, 02:39
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Have you played a les paul , a gibson not a Epi , if you have was it a 60s neck or 50s , if you played one at you still dont like it thats cool , but if you havent then Id suggest you try it , As far as the explorer goes its very similiar to a paul in the neck and you for sure cant sit with one , I have too explorers I happen to like em,
And probably In Australia I would think the Japanese guitars would be alot cheaper < Am I right , Gibson LPs here in the states are expensive as shit too, But like I said before I personally love Les Pauls but thats me , Im also a bigger type guy , So to each their own

Old 2005-08-26, 02:45
YJM04
Post-whore

i agree with what ur saying. owning a les paul is like owning a peice of history. its the first guitar that use humbuckers. it feels very weird playing on a tune-o-matic bridge from a original flody rose. fender is a little peice of history as well. thats the only reason i would buy a les paul (my opionon) as more of a decoration, if it could stay on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!

Old 2005-08-26, 02:50
Bia
Muffin Ass

I know several that shred with a Les Paul.

It doesnt take an axe just like ones hero to jam......Metal comes from the heart....not some over rated pickups.

Pick up and play for christs sake instead of dissecting every single millimeter of equiptment.....unless you're a POSER.

Old 2005-08-26, 02:57
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

well said, If you got chops you can sound good on any decent guitar , actually IMHO more important is not what axe you use except of course its a 2 dollar rubberband strung POS is the amp you use. A great guitar player will sound like balls on a shitty amp even if he has the mother of all guitars , but yet give me a 200 dollar starter guitar on a great amp , Ill kick ass. Dont believe me next time you go to GC or sam ash where they let you play all the stuff take a cool guitar plug into a crud amp , then take a cheapey guitar plug into a decent amp, Then let me know.
Peace

Old 2005-08-26, 02:57
YJM04
Post-whore

i've seen malmsteen play one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!

Old 2005-08-26, 04:36
Soeru
Post-whore

I've heard endless praise about LP's since I was young. Quite recently I had the chance to play a friend's Gibson LP *something*, which cost $1500. I was NOT AT ALL impressed, his Schecter C-1 kicks the shit out of his Gibson. In everything: tone, playability, neck thickness and width, action, feel, and strat shapes are cooler than LP's.

Even my cheap JS30 Jackson Kelly plays better than his LP(which I think my friend realized).

LP's are horribly overrated and overpriced. I feel that people who claim that "Gibsons and Marshalls are the only things that count" should hit upside the head, like a co-worker of mine that talks a lot of shit.

LP's are pretty though, and the clean tones are very warm and soft but that's about the only thing I could ever imagine buying an LP for: clean tones and decoration like someone said. Maybe not, I don't think LP's sustain too well...

By the way, In Flames' Björn Gelotte uses ESP EC's not Gibson LP's. He might now but I've never seen pics/vids of him with a Gibson though. Gibson Explorers and Flying V's are bad-ass, but still very overpriced and don't sustain too well.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2005-08-26, 04:57
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Les Pauls dont hold up against a lot of guitars for metal playing.
But they are legendary, beautiful, and sound great in the styles of music they are developed for.

A lot of bands from different genre's use them, I know Peter from opeth does sometimes, Adam from tool uses them too.

I wouldnt get one for my metal playing, but since I do play stuff other than metal/shred i would love one for playing the older stuff, plus they are fuckin styley lookin

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2005-08-26, 05:40
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

IMHO its not so much the guitar , but more the amp and even more the player , take your shred guitar on a fender reverb your not sounding too metal there are you skippy, But ill take my old clunky paul and Ill rip your face off with a good solid hi gain balls to the wall stack,
I can play a paul , Im used to them I like them , Alot of you cats dont and its cool, theyre not for everybody either are strats , I personally dont like single coils , but yngwie wails with one as does hendrix. So dont play pauls , Its not a waste of money if first you can play em and secondly if you can afford one ,its not the guitar its the person playing it,
hey how many of you guys can wail with a ES 335 , I can , not to say im great but again I have one I play one so im used to it .
Its all subjective.

Old 2005-08-26, 05:55
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I've heard endless praise about LP's since I was young. Quite recently I had the chance to play a friend's Gibson LP *something*, which cost $1500. I was NOT AT ALL impressed, his Schecter C-1 kicks the shit out of his Gibson. In everything: tone, playability, neck thickness and width, action, feel, and strat shapes are cooler than LP's.

Even my cheap JS30 Jackson Kelly plays better than his LP(which I think my friend realized).

LP's are horribly overrated and overpriced. I feel that people who claim that "Gibsons and Marshalls are the only things that count" should hit upside the head, like a co-worker of mine that talks a lot of shit.

LP's are pretty though, and the clean tones are very warm and soft but that's about the only thing I could ever imagine buying an LP for: clean tones and decoration like someone said. Maybe not, I don't think LP's sustain too well...

By the way, In Flames' Björn Gelotte uses ESP EC's not Gibson LP's. He might now but I've never seen pics/vids of him with a Gibson though. Gibson Explorers and Flying V's are bad-ass, but still very overpriced and don't sustain too well.

Bjorn plays a LP custom fitted w/ EMG's.

http://dirtjunior.com/in31.jpg

I completely agree w/ you on the "LP's and Marshall" thing, which is true for people who don't know jack shit about guitar and gear. Those are the people that just go for the name and it's reputation. It's different for people who are really skilled and know what kind of guitar they want (feel, sound, etc.). Obviously, Zakk can use others guitars and amps besides "Gibson's and Marshall's" and sound just as good, but it doesn't go so overrated when someone who knows what they're doing chooses that gear IMO.

Old 2005-08-26, 06:11
CodeOfHonour
Metalhead

I bought a Gibson LP Studio about 6 years ago and was my main guitar for a very long time. You are right with saying that you sometimes have to "fight" for the tone, but the tone you will get by this is fuckin' amazing. Full, warm, really powerfull. A Paul with a nice SD SH-4 and a decent tube-amp will give you some really powefull and mighty metal-tones, rythm and lead.

And in my opinion you can play all styles of music with a Paul. Blues, Jazz, Rock, Metal (even the extreme styles) ... no problem.

http://www.myspace.com/codeofhonour

Old 2005-08-26, 06:54
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Yeah I guess it also depends on which 'Paul you play. I played a Classic and it was really warm and dark sounding, not as powerful and aggressive, which was suited more for like classic rock and stuff. On the other hand, I tried a LP custom and that thing fucking screamed. I just had it hooked up to a Crate BV w/ no effects or anything, just the dist. on it and it sounded so powerful w/ leads, and harmonics were pulling off really nicely.

Old 2005-08-26, 11:14
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I love to play les pauls, yes I only own superstrats but I've been caught playing Gibsons live on more then one occasion

I've played a classic and a standard for quite a while and those things just have 'mojo', it's not something you can easily grasp. sure they're not too versatile, sure they're heavy as fuck and sure they're not that easy to play on the higher frets. but they just have something going, besides the immense sustain and tone that they got.

don't get me wrong, I don't prefer a les paul for what I play but I'de love to have one of those ancient LP custom's in cherry red. just to have around for when I'm older. good investment and man, they will allways sound the part. you can't say that about any regular ibanez rg, jackson soloist, bc rich warlock or even an esp kamikaze.

Old 2005-08-26, 11:53
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Some one said about the les paul studio, The studio is on the low end of the Les paul line ,
probably first is the Custom with block inlays , theyre expensive cause now only gibson custom shop makes the new ones , Randy Zakk , john Sykes use those among others , You have the Supreme, I never played one of those yet , but they have fancy inlays are expensive as shit even here in the U.S,
The one most people pros use is the Standard, thats the page , clapton, peter green thin lizzy etc, they now come with burstbucker pros which IMHO scream , Then you have the classics which have hot pick ups i believe are 500 t 496 r , some believe theyre too hot ,
then comes the studio which IMHO suck .
Now as I stated before especially with standards you have your choice of 50s fat necks , Which is too big for my hands but on the other hands if you are a slow type lead player ,bad company etc , I know not death metal enuff than thats the guitar , a fatter neck sounds awsum and sustains for days, the 60s neck are thinner and faster. Most lead players use that , now obviously unles its a custom shop , gibson puts in gibson pick ups , I think the burstbuckers are great but you may not , You can swap em .
A paul is not for everyone , Either is a 7 string , but a waste of money , hell no .
I do like i say have 8 , LPs , I have ESP eclipse JH-3 and LTD truckster which are all les paul shaped but my Gibsons own them.
For me I love the way jacksons look especally the Dinky I but everytime I play a Jackson I hate the neck it has a weird shape for me , But I love my Deans and ESPs and gibson
The point and im not arguing its all subjective ,, just grab a axe and play dont matter what it is unless its a real dawg.
peace

Old 2005-08-26, 13:04
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

I think that les pauls rock. There are other great guitars but les paul is a fucking good one. I own a Gibson lp special and it sounds really great in my opinion.

Edit: BTW Foxguitar, no offence, but you must be rich if you have enough money to buy that many guitars. Did you get them new or used?

Last edited by IRON90 : 2005-08-26 at 13:06.

Old 2005-08-26, 13:11
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Edit: BTW Foxguitar, no offence, but you must be rich if you have enough money to buy that many guitars. Did you get them new or used?[/QUOTE]
No offense taken , I got a great job , I bought them all new,
one was a graduation gift , I got my custom in 75 . The rest Ive bought in the last 5 years, To me they are great great guitars , like Ive said before Im not a deth metal dude. Im more think grave digger primal fear , John sykes , mercyful fate , Gary Moore , Saxon , Old priest , that type, So a paul is great for what I do.

Old 2005-08-26, 14:10
Gamma
Senior Metalhead

Off the top of my head In Flames and Naglfar use Les Pauls.
And Naglfars pretty damn heavy.

I think its just a matter of replacing the pickups, after that its a very good guitar so I don't see why people are complaining so much. I guess it IS just a matter of the pickups. Might as well take em off save em for later XD

but OWNING a les paul imo, is like a man buying a porsche, its a treat for your self. you don't go out soccer pooling your kids in your porsche, so you dont go out shredding cannibal corpse on your les paul.

Old 2005-08-26, 14:48
Seve420
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma
but OWNING a les paul imo, is like a man buying a porsche, its a treat for your self. you don't go out soccer pooling your kids in your porsche, so you dont go out shredding cannibal corpse on your les paul.

Then buying a top of the line Jackson or a custom Ran is like buying a Ferrari that's meant for you to rev the shit out of it.

Quote:
Have you played a les paul , a gibson not a Epi , if you have was it a 60s neck or 50s , if you played one at you still dont like it thats cool , but if you havent then Id suggest you try it , As far as the explorer goes its very similiar to a paul in the neck and you for sure cant sit with one , I have too explorers I happen to like em,
And probably In Australia I would think the Japanese guitars would be alot cheaper < Am I right , Gibson LPs here in the states are expensive as shit too, But like I said before I personally love Les Pauls but thats me , Im also a bigger type guy , So to each their own

I have played Gibson and Epi Les Pauls as well as an Epi Explorer. I find the guitars far too weighty and the necks far to thick. They just don't suit me.

At the moment my favourite guitar is my KVX10 and I doubt that will change for a considerable amount of time. It suits my playing perfectly. Shred and death metal i.e Cryptopsy, Nile, Cephalic Carnage, Origin, Martyr, Necrophagist...

I guess it all depends on 'what floats ya boat', to be horribly cliche.

Just Click On These
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns

Old 2005-08-26, 15:09
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420
Then buying a top of the line Jackson or a custom Ran is like buying a Ferrari that's meant for you to rev the shit out of it.

hell fucking yeah!

Old 2005-08-26, 15:55
Gamma
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420

Agreed.

AND I FORGOT ONE OTHER BAND.

DARK TRANQUILLITY.

These fuckers are amazing and the fucking lead guitarist uses a Les Paul. These bastards are kings of MDM and are just brilliant.

Old 2005-08-26, 16:20
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

I must say i do like the sound of a les paul...but i prefer the SG, its much lighter, and you can shred on it. Im pretty sure thats what iommi uses. But why would you get a gibson LP,then replace the picups? It eleminates the reason for getting an LP, to put it on display in a glass frame, haha.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2005-08-26, 16:21
Insomnium
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia

It doesnt take an axe just like ones hero to jam......Metal comes from the heart....not some over rated pickups.

Pick up and play for christs sake instead of dissecting every single millimeter of equiptment.....unless you're a POSER.

So let me get this straight... Real players just pick up a guitar and play, just like every teenager in the world, but posers learn their shit and study the instrument? Oh, ok, i get it.

Old 2005-08-26, 17:44
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
A LTD to a ESP is not the same as a EPI is to a gibson , first off Epi are for the most part horrendous , a LTD on the otherhand at least the 1000 series are great guitars , Now as far as the paul is concern , alot of shredders use em Randy ,Gary Moore , Warren Hynes zakk Slash ,Clapton when he was a guitar god , Thin Lizzy, Even Metallica more and more are using em as we said before , but if you dont like Les pauls thats cool. I hate BC richs , alot of people swear by em ,
To each their own, besides thats more Les Pauls for me.

None of these guys seem like shredders to me. The only shredder that really uses a paul is buckethead, and its probably real custom to be more of a shred guitar.

Quote:
IMHO its not so much the guitar , but more the amp and even more the player , take your shred guitar on a fender reverb your not sounding too metal there are you skippy, But ill take my old clunky paul and Ill rip your face off with a good solid hi gain balls to the wall stack,
I can play a paul , Im used to them I like them , Alot of you cats dont and its cool, theyre not for everybody either are strats , I personally dont like single coils , but yngwie wails with one as does hendrix. So dont play pauls , Its not a waste of money if first you can play em and secondly if you can afford one ,its not the guitar its the person playing it,
hey how many of you guys can wail with a ES 335 , I can , not to say im great but again I have one I play one so im used to it .
Its all subjective.

Its easy to wail on an ES 335. When i went to Jazz camp, everyone played hollow bodies, and all the proffessors used em, and would play just as fast as any shredder. And when i was able to use em, they really were comfortable to play chords then solo right over them.

Also Mr. Fox, im not saying you haven't, but ive been reading your posts, and you really never mention or bash many other brands like Jackson or Ibanez. Which is nice and all, but, that leads me to believe that your possibly, (dont take offence im only speculating cause we have many of these in my area), on of those guys that are too stubborn to even try touching any other kinda of guitar except those classics. I have shown a couple people that have les pauls the light by showing them some other good guitars. I feel that possibly that you either have not taken notice of some other great guitars, or you have played one but didnt give it enough appreciation. You also, which is a huge mistake by many, take it off the shelf and judge it by playing it there. Its never set up ever, and becomes ten times better after. You also might have just played a lower end model, even ones that were expensive, but still lower end, and judged it with that.

I dont know if any of these are true, but if they are, go find a friend with like a Ibanez Prestige or Jem or a Jackson USA. You may be suprised. ANd i just got a Jackson USA soloist, and its has an ALder body, and i dont know how they do it, but they sound real good and warm, to me at least. So even some well made guitars of other than Mahogany sound really good. This is just a thought, this very well may not be you in the least bit, but if it is, give some of those other guitars a shot.

Last edited by madtrixcerenzia : 2005-08-26 at 18:11.

Old 2005-08-26, 18:01
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrixcerenzia

That was a very one-dimensional thing to say ... these "posers" you speak of more often than not are the ones practicing into the wee hours of the morning.

Old 2005-08-26, 18:03
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

Awesome.

Old 2005-08-26, 18:07
madtrixcerenzia
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
That was a very one-dimensional thing to say ... these "posers" you speak of more often than not are the ones practicing into the wee hours of the morning.

Originally Posted by madtrixcerenzia

Umm^, for some reason it said i said that, but i definately didn't, that was someone else, just letting you all know.

And real fast, the guys who are practicing the most, that i have seen at least, dont have the signatures, i dont know why but its just something ive noticed. They practice a hell of alot, but ALWAYS on the wrong stuff. There is more practice to be done than to just the wee hours of the morning, its how you practice. Those real good guys are well versed in theory which is the big killer for all those players that want to be pros. They lack theory for so long, that when they realize how important it is, it is too late. Thats just the way it kinda seems like to me.

Also it kills people who get too into theory and technique stuff. The real real good players of the world that make it, are the ones who work on the theory and technique constantly, but still dont forget to put emotion and feel when using technique and theory. This sounds easy and simple, but i dont know anybody with that right now around here, but im just realizing it, and im trying my best to work at it.

Last edited by madtrixcerenzia : 2005-08-26 at 18:14.

Old 2005-08-26, 18:25
Panda
Senior Metalhead

i own a gibson gothic lp ( a cheap studio version... they dont even make em anymore i guess) and although its hard to play fast high fret stuff it still has its charm. noone knows whats the magic about the les pauls. the heavy headstock ... the thick body or the neck ... and their sound is therefore a true mystery. i personally love their sound their warmth and their beauty. call me gay but i had the opportunity to play a really good one ... i believe it was a 59' lp ... and i really got goose skin ... there was much more than just wood and hardware.

just dont put emgs in em like zakk does. dont get me wrong i love his playing etc ... but to my mind the character of a les paul gets lost when using high output pickups. just my opinion though ....

Old 2005-08-26, 18:26
DEAD
Post-whore

Bia, refrain from posting such stupidity in an otherwise good topic. Just because you don't have the knowledge to discuss what we are talking about is no reason spew forth your idiot ramblings.
Comforting silence

Old 2005-08-26, 18:48
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD
Bia, refrain from posting such stupidity in an otherwise good topic. Just because you don't have the knowledge to discuss what we are talking about is no reason spew forth your idiot ramblings.

+1

arrogance so lost, but it was necessary.

Awesome.

Old 2005-08-26, 18:57
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

you thought I wouldn't ban you for that?

stop beeing such a homo and kissing ass to everyone that talks smack to bia

Last edited by Def : 2005-08-26 at 19:34.

Old 2005-08-26, 19:09
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia

So humbuckers are over rated?

Do you ever read what you write?

Old 2005-08-26, 19:24
Bia
Muffin Ass

Where do I start?

Dead says... Bia, refrain from posting such stupidity in an otherwise good topic. Just because you don't have the knowledge to discuss what we are talking about is no reason spew forth your idiot ramblings."

Well Dead...I know exactly what others...and myself are speaking of.
I simply gave an opinion. It's as valid as anyone elses.
MY opinion is that LPs can thrash....if the person playing it thrashes.
Fucking DUHHHH
------------------------
Death CS says,
"So humbuckers are over rated?
Do you ever read what you write?"

I never even came close to saying that.
I said Metal comes from the heart...not over rated pickups.
Meaning (for you daft motherfuckers) that even a cheap stock pickup can sound great with the right person....unless one is so arrogant that they refuse to use anything except some high dollar special froo froo mega pickup that's been....well...you get the picture.
Humbuckers rule.....so I throw your question back at you...."Do you ever read what people say?"

Again...fucking DUHHHH

I realize some males dont like a chick that has a guitars or opinions....and that's cool.....but dont try and put fucking words in my mouth.

Old 2005-08-26, 19:33
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

most stock pickups do sound like ass, even with malmsteen playing them, it'll be incredible playing with crap tone. still, incredible playing but... you know

anyways, chill out.

you make yourself sound like on of those girls that are highly pissed off about nothing. it's the internet, not real life. you won't ever meet these people, fuck 'em. maybe you just like to argue, that's fine. maybe I just didn't get you right, that's fine too. but please stay on topic..

Old 2005-08-26, 19:37
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
I realize some males dont like a chick that has a guitars or opinions

Your pathetic grammar makes me laugh.

Old 2005-08-26, 19:39
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

like I said. ON TOPIC.

last warning. next one who posts bullshit gets it.

Old 2005-08-26, 19:48
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
like I said. ON TOPIC.

last warning. next one who posts bullshit gets it.

i LOVE it when you talk dirty.

Les Pauls, in my opinion, are very nice guitars.... just not worth the money they cost. Vastly overpriced, me thinks. Heavy as fuck too, which is no problem for me, but for the more scrawny among us (Bill) its quite a load to carry. I would like to buy one in my lifetime, but it wouldnt be my main guitar.

Old 2005-08-26, 19:53
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

(now where did I hear that before this week..)

Ditto. they're overpriced but they're more of an investment. I wouldn't dare to get a custom lp and use it on stage weekly. I would have it hanging on a wall and play some classic rock on it every now and then

Old 2005-08-26, 19:56
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
(now where did I hear that before this week..)

Ditto. they're overpriced but they're more of an investment. I wouldn't dare to get a custom lp and use it on stage weekly. I would have it hanging on a wall and play some classic rock on it every now and then

Precisely what i was trying to say.

Old 2005-08-26, 20:20
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Gibsons are very expensive no doubt , but Jackson soloists and DK 1 are about $1800 , If you want to play cheaper but great guitars Id suggest the 1000 series LTD , they are well made have real EMGs or Duncans , but that said , Unless you play a paul on a regular basis you wont appreciate it. I have 8 , I play all 8 , not all at once , Im not an octopuss , I love each and every one cept my custom , and thats because its a 75 made during Gibsons dark period when they were taken over by another company NORLIN who did everything to save money and the QC went out the shitter. I just picked up not too long ago a LP standard faded , Ill jam with any one with that guitar , its tone are kick ass , as is my other Pauls,
some peeps swear by strats , i hate em , not because they suck , its just not my cup of tea ,Im not crazy about jackson who is owned by fender now ,never liked the BC rich , Love ESP LTD Dean ,
Point is its not a waste of money for someone who loves that type of guitar and has the cash for it. like ive posted before I love flying Vs some of you may hate em.
If you play it and you create something with it its never a waste of money.

Old 2005-08-26, 21:03
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Fucking overrated or not, I'll pop a boner looking at this finish anyday. W/ the bindings and shit it looks sooo fucking good.

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibs...5mmmnh_wall.jpg

Old 2005-08-26, 21:08
foxguitar
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

I have a class 5 in that color fucking beautiful guitar and sounds like an angel in heat with the burstbucker 2 and 3s fucking awsum

Old 2005-08-26, 21:10
IlikeRiffseveryone
Supreme Metalhead

I played on a les paul today, It had a very wet, drooping sound, Ideal for blues or jazz, but it didn't seem to push my buttons. Still a nice guitar though.

Old 2005-08-26, 21:20
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
Fucking overrated or not, I'll pop a boner looking at this finish anyday. W/ the bindings and shit it looks sooo fucking good.

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibs...5mmmnh_wall.jpg

Amen!

Old 2005-08-26, 21:27
IlikeRiffseveryone
Supreme Metalhead

yeah, there still gorgeous in my opinion.

Old 2005-08-27, 04:16
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
I realize some males dont like a chick that has a guitars or opinions....and that's cool.....but dont try and put fucking words in my mouth.

You have PM, since I don't want to start a muckwar in this forum.

If I were going to have to have a Gibson LP it'd be the baritone model ... I think they made seven string LP's a while back, I'd love to have one of those.

Old 2005-08-27, 05:01
DEAD
Post-whore

That is a nice finish but I the flame looks to be only AAA. Get some more highly flamed maple and I'd be popping a boner aswell.
Comforting silence

Old 2005-08-27, 09:40
BEHEMOTH
Senior Metalhead

I donīt like the Les PAuls, because of their sound and their neck. But I think they are diferent guitars comparing to the other models.
I think I,ll never buy a Gibson (because the neck), but if you like it, go on. I think are very good guitars, I personally donīt like them to me, but I like them for you.

Old 2005-08-27, 12:01
HermanRi!
Post-whore

ultimately, i think les pauls have their places in certain genres but just not in metal.

Old 2005-08-30, 05:49
Volcheyar
New Blood

Les Paul in Metal? Don't make me laugh!!!!
Better off buy Stratocaster!

Last edited by Volcheyar : 2005-08-30 at 05:51.

Old 2005-08-30, 05:58
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcheyar
Les Paul in Metal? Don't make me laugh!!!!
Better off buy Stratocaster!

Silly Russian, go back in ur hole

Old 2005-08-30, 06:54
Volcheyar
New Blood

Quote:

Yes, but I'm already there!

Just waste your money, buy LP and play COB, or better Malevolent Creation, Kataklysm, Krusiun or Behemoth on it! It's your problem. I'll say you no more words about it.

Last edited by Volcheyar : 2005-08-30 at 06:58.

Old 2005-08-30, 20:37
((Nervous)) Texx
Metalhead

i myself own a les paul, and someone a while back said epiphones were horrendous and i disagree. Maybe its because im fairly young and cant afford much better, but i personally think mine rocks...compared to my squier strat at least lol...i have a $500 quilt top epi LP in wine red and it sounds great (to me and my bandmates at least) and looks very sexy (which everyone seems to agree upon).
im not gonna bash other brands, i have a friend that has a jackson and my next one will probably be an ESP of some sort.

Old 2005-08-30, 22:02
h4x5k8
Post-whore

I also own an EPI Les Paul custom, they are ok. The reason why I dont like it as much is because for the money you can get better. The LTD eclipse (LP copy) looks better, plays better, sounds better (better stock pups), and are priced around the same. Plus almost all Epi's are neck heavy, which really sucks.

Old 2005-08-31, 07:09
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x5k8
I also own an EPI Les Paul custom, they are ok. The reason why I dont like it as much is because for the money you can get better. The LTD eclipse (LP copy) looks better, plays better, sounds better (better stock pups), and are priced around the same. Plus almost all Epi's are neck heavy, which really sucks.

Yeah, the epi custom looks decent, that's about the only thing though w/ most of 'em.

Old 2005-08-31, 15:33
Seve420
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

Silly person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sand.jpg (25.4 KB, 331 views)

Just Click On These
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns

Old 2005-08-31, 15:38
Seve420
Senior Metalhead

Ohh. And Gibson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toll.jpg (29.4 KB, 336 views)

Just Click On These
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns