MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 2005-08-24, 22:45
DEAD's Avatar
DEAD DEAD is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,399
Send a message via AIM to DEAD
5150 will not be your amp if you want cleans. I own the combo version (converted into a head) and the clean channel is fine if you are only a moderate user of it and use it on low volumes.
__________________
No fear, nor fight
Comforting silent side
So free, through flight
Comforting silence
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 2005-08-24, 23:54
ShredIsNotDead ShredIsNotDead is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD
5150 will not be your amp if you want cleans. I own the combo version (converted into a head) and the clean channel is fine if you are only a moderate user of it and use it on low volumes.


The cleans don't have to be that great any more. My dad said he'd rather get an amp that is great at one thing (distortion), than an amp that only gives 85% for each.

How is the distortion in your opinion?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 2005-08-25, 04:18
foxguitar foxguitar is offline
Supreme Metalhead
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY just south of heaven
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomnium
Krank is hardly in any sort of league with the other two... i don't understand the hype and endorsement they are getting. I've played all of their models, and found nothing good about any of them. There was one that was better than the rest, but it wasnt even worth remembering the name.

Thats the problem , most people here havent demoed em , but all the ozz fest bands are using em , I would love to check out the krankenstein ,Ive heard it sucks Ive heard its great ,
its all subjective , To me my DSL sound awsum , but im not a deth metal dude, Think old MSG , Grave Digger , running wild , UFO , so the marshall for me is cool.
Its all good , if you got chops you will sound great on any decent amp
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 2005-08-25, 11:36
Insomnium's Avatar
Insomnium Insomnium is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to Insomnium
yea, the krankenstein was the one that sounded better than the rest, but it still wasnt my cup of tea
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 2005-08-25, 12:50
Casketcrusher Casketcrusher is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,280
What is the retail price for a Marshall JCM 2000 head?
__________________
"I miss the days when it was acceptable to listen to everything."
-Chuck Schuldiner (R.I.P)

Truer words were never spoken.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 2005-08-25, 13:12
HalfmastTrousers HalfmastTrousers is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dorchester, MA
Posts: 596
Send a message via AIM to HalfmastTrousers
Oops, I double posted. SOrry guys.
__________________

with my own time role your own innocence by
grab on to my sleeve the one that grabs at your ankle
debate to understand that we all have a flaw
then fail to represent your life as you know it
god grant you one wish to turn back the time... correct and create

me and my star
matthew good night
you know by law when you'll be forgiven
maria my star
matthew goodnight
you know my lord when you'll be forgiven
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 2005-08-25, 13:13
HalfmastTrousers HalfmastTrousers is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dorchester, MA
Posts: 596
Send a message via AIM to HalfmastTrousers
Foxguitar, I'll only call you out on this: why should someone buy an amp because everyone else is using it? That's no way to purchase amps IMO, and it's no way to choose which one is best. He shoulld use his ears, by listening to clips


That 5150 buy is a GREAT deal. It's a killer metal amp, and the crunch is good too. The cleans are always called out on it but they're usable.

ALso, I've heard a few Krank clips that I've liked. I've found that you should use them without their respective cabs though. Krank cabs tend to sound very trebley and boxey.

For some reason, I think they'd mix well with ENGLs in a mix.
__________________

with my own time role your own innocence by
grab on to my sleeve the one that grabs at your ankle
debate to understand that we all have a flaw
then fail to represent your life as you know it
god grant you one wish to turn back the time... correct and create

me and my star
matthew good night
you know by law when you'll be forgiven
maria my star
matthew goodnight
you know my lord when you'll be forgiven
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 2005-08-25, 13:23
DEAD's Avatar
DEAD DEAD is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,399
Send a message via AIM to DEAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredIsNotDead
The cleans don't have to be that great any more. My dad said he'd rather get an amp that is great at one thing (distortion), than an amp that only gives 85% for each.

How is the distortion in your opinion?



I love the distortion. I was in your same position choosing between a DSL and a 5150. I choose the 5150 because I could get a great thrash sound and a great detah metak sound, aswell and clean lead sound. The only thing I have to complain about is that it didnt reach its full greatness untill I bought a new cab. As long as you are running it through a good cab you will be fine, but no shit Shefield speakers.
__________________
No fear, nor fight
Comforting silent side
So free, through flight
Comforting silence
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 2005-08-25, 14:32
foxguitar foxguitar is offline
Supreme Metalhead
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY just south of heaven
Posts: 809
[QUOTE=HalfmastTrousers]Foxguitar, I'll only call you out on this: why should someone buy an amp because everyone else is using it? That's no way to purchase amps IMO, and it's no way to choose which one is best. He shoulld use his ears, by listening to clips


well first Ill agree you shouldnt just buy an amp because that every one else is using but ,but then again you shouldnt buy a mesa because metallica uses it or a XXX because that band uses it so on ,the reason I made that reference never have heard the Krank myself but the feedback on the board seems to say that the ozzfest line up sounded good.\ And as far as clips , fuck clips < You need to demo the fucker personally , how many clips of effects pedals sound bitchin you get the pedal home and its a dawg and you no way can you dupe the clip.
So Half , Ill call you back out . And dont use the 5150 because Van Halen used it.And lastly the clips on the krank website suck.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 2005-08-25, 14:42
Insomnium's Avatar
Insomnium Insomnium is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to Insomnium
i guarantee that most of the Krank amps used by bands on ozzfest are dummy amps. Krank is on an endorsement streak, they're paying every trendy band in the universe to endorse their shit.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 2005-08-25, 16:53
foxguitar foxguitar is offline
Supreme Metalhead
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY just south of heaven
Posts: 809
maybe so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomnium
i guarantee that most of the Krank amps used by bands on ozzfest are dummy amps. Krank is on an endorsement streak, they're paying every trendy band in the universe to endorse their shit.

Im not saying that aint a possibility , Ive heard they are great , Ive heard they suck , Ive never tried one , Id like too , all I meant the folks who saw the bands at Ozzfest came back saying the bands sounded great and they were using Kranks, Then again Most bands have their shit modded to their specs anyway , Its like buying a signature guitar or amp , its never exact , Most pros have their techs mod the shit out of thier rigs
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 2005-08-25, 20:51
HalfmastTrousers HalfmastTrousers is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dorchester, MA
Posts: 596
Send a message via AIM to HalfmastTrousers
The clips i heard that i liked weren't from the Krank site. They were on some other forum i stumbled on...they sounded good through mesa cabs, but the Krank cabs sucked the life out of them.
__________________

with my own time role your own innocence by
grab on to my sleeve the one that grabs at your ankle
debate to understand that we all have a flaw
then fail to represent your life as you know it
god grant you one wish to turn back the time... correct and create

me and my star
matthew good night
you know by law when you'll be forgiven
maria my star
matthew goodnight
you know my lord when you'll be forgiven
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 2005-08-25, 21:49
foxguitar foxguitar is offline
Supreme Metalhead
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY just south of heaven
Posts: 809
some cat I stumbled across who claims to do Sessions in LA swears by the Krank , he said the same thing you said about the Krank Cab sucking , he used a Marshall 1960 , I guess the only way will be to demo this frickin thing ourselves. I went out to West LA music a few weeks ago they had a Krankenstein they just sold it a day before I was there , they all liked it but then again they wanted me to order one from em
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 2005-08-25, 22:36
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
krank blows. hands down. i've never met one creditable person without an endorsement that actually likes them or uses them. i've played all three heads myself, and a couple cabs.... well, they're about the same sound level as a rogue tuberider.

weak brittle gain, wack eq, and an upper mid shrillness that doesnt go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguitar
Some swear by the 5150 , I think the 5150 II and 6550 are probably a bit better, To me IMHO the 5150 is too bottom heavy , the JSX is to me way way better.

i assume you mean 6505...

different is different and opinions are cool and whatnot. but when you say you think a 6505 is better than a 5150 you look like an asshat.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 2005-08-25, 22:51
foxguitar foxguitar is offline
Supreme Metalhead
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY just south of heaven
Posts: 809
you see what I mean about being a dick , it was a typo , See you have to be a cock U knew what i meant , again was it necessary to attack ,nope other than the typo ,what in the post did you take umbrage with professor,
You are a pompous ass
Now correct me if im wrong first came the 5150 then came the 5150 II now its called the 6505 because EVH no longer is affliated with peavey , so Doctor X, what besides my typo was wrong , Cmon school me ,

Last edited by foxguitar : 2005-08-25 at 22:56.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 2005-08-25, 23:13
ShredIsNotDead ShredIsNotDead is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguitar
you see what I mean about being a dick , it was a typo , See you have to be a cock U knew what i meant , again was it necessary to attack ,nope other than the typo ,what in the post did you take umbrage with professor,
You are a pompous ass
Now correct me if im wrong first came the 5150 then came the 5150 II now its called the 6505 because EVH no longer is affliated with peavey , so Doctor X, what besides my typo was wrong , Cmon school me ,


I believe the 6505 and the 5150 are the exact same amps. When you said you liked the 6505 better than the 5150 it seemed a little odd.

Man i'm bummed out tonight. We went to try out that 5150 the guy is selling for 400$ and when we got there the guy was at the hospital because his daughter had an allergic reaction. I don't want to sound insensitive, but it was just unfortunate that we drove all the way across town.

Instead of just going back home we hit a couple guitar stores and tried out a 6505, mesa rectoverb, marshall jcm 2000 dsl100. The first one I tried was the mesa, which once again, had gain that was a tad sloppy. I didn't get a great lead sound out of it either. Second, I tried the 6505. I'm kind of self concious about playing in guitar stores, so i didn't get to crank any of these amps up, but the 6505 sounded the best of the three amps. Cleans were a tad dissapointing but it had great distortion (I got an exact megadeth sound), and very heavy. Last amp we tried was the dsl 100. We started off with the cleans and I was like "holy shit, this amp is going to blow the others away." Unfortunately, that only applied to the cleans and crunch. The gain was no better than the 5150, and the lead was horrendous. Scratchy, not smooth enough for me.

So now I'm sitting at home wishing I had a new stack to fool around with. If that guy had been home we would have most definetely picked up that 5150 head. He just got new tubes in, and the price is incredible. We are going to get it tomorrow night.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 2005-08-25, 23:37
foxguitar foxguitar is offline
Supreme Metalhead
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY just south of heaven
Posts: 809
The problem you experienced is because Marshall sounds like shit at lower volumes, you have to open it up , the first time I played it it sounded like shit ,I played it low its not a bedroom amp its a gigging amp Do your self a favor , Try the DSL crank it and then tell me
if you dont like it after that then you dont like it, try these settings
Deep in
presence 9 treb 6 mid 5 bass 7 lead 2 gain 8 tone shift out .
You may like the 6505 better and thats cool. good luck
the 5150 is the older version then they went to the 5150 II , maybe , im not sure the 6505 and 5105 II are the same Im pretty sure the 5150 and the II are bit different

Last edited by foxguitar : 2005-08-25 at 23:42.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 2005-08-26, 14:03
ShredIsNotDead ShredIsNotDead is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,487
That DSL won't work for us if it needs to be cranked, we need an amp that sounds good at a volume playable in a house.

Man, this peavey guy is really hard to get a hold of. We are going out today to pick up a used mesa rectoverb for 900$. I kind of had my heart set on the peavey so when my dad told me that I was pretty dissapointed. Now my dad said that if the peavey guy phones back we can go get that too! Ha, i'm feeling pretty awesome right now.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 2005-08-26, 14:45
foxguitar foxguitar is offline
Supreme Metalhead
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY just south of heaven
Posts: 809
kid your dad is way cool

Man you got a great Dad , props to ya Mr. Shred.
But getting back on topic, yeah the marshall at lower volumes is a dawg , thats no lie , it has to be cranked up to work its magic , but check out my new thread.
Good Luck with your new amp(s)
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 2005-08-26, 14:54
Rapture's Avatar
Rapture Rapture is offline
The Stings of Conscience
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lutz, FL
Posts: 2,245
Send a message via AIM to Rapture
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguitar
The problem you experienced is because Marshall sounds like shit at lower volumes, you have to open it up , the first time I played it it sounded like shit ,I played it low its not a bedroom amp its a gigging amp Do your self a favor , Try the DSL crank it and then tell me
if you dont like it after that then you dont like it, try these settings
Deep in
presence 9 treb 6 mid 5 bass 7 lead 2 gain 8 tone shift out .
You may like the 6505 better and thats cool. good luck
the 5150 is the older version then they went to the 5150 II , maybe , im not sure the 6505 and 5105 II are the same Im pretty sure the 5150 and the II are bit different


The 5150 is the original EVH sig amp. Then came the 5150 II, which has an extra tube in the preamp stage, but this extra tube is only used on the rhythm channel. It also has seperate EQs for the 2 channels.

Later on down the line, Peavey lost their endorsement with EVH. In order to keep their vastly popular line of EVH signature amps rolling, they simply changed the name and the faceplate. The 6505 and 6505 + were born.

Let me reiterate. The 5150 is EXACTLY the same as a 6505, and the 5150 II is EXACTLY the same as a 6505 +.


Pfft. And you claim to know gear...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.