MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2005-08-23, 19:58
Post-whore

Marshall JCM 2000 TSL (602,600?) or Peavey JSX head

I'm looking for a new amp, preferrably a stack, for under 2000$. I tried out a bunch of different amps today and these two are by far the best. They are similarly priced, same overall ratings on Harmoney Central, both have nice cleans, nice distortions, good crunch. I found the marshall to be a little sharper than the peavey, but the peavey was a little more crushing. Right now i'm leaning a little bit towards the JSX just because I like Peavey distortion. My dad on the other hand, who also has a say in the decision, is leaning toward the marshall. If anybody here owns either of these amps i'd like to hear your opinion.
Old 2005-08-23, 20:17
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

I have a marshall DSL and a Triple XXX
Ive demoed both the TSL and the JSX
In my humble opinion The DSL is better tone wise than the TSl ,I think the gain and overall tone is better on the DSl , I think the JSX is better than a XXX , more versatile better cleans,
If I had the choice Id pick the Marshall , because despite what alot of peeps in this forum say Marshall is still the standard , I found with alot of these hi- gain amps you can be lousy and the hi gain amps will hide your lousiness with a Marshall its unforgiving , you better be a good player , if you are it will sound like heaven , all your efx will sound like mint. Now mind you Im a bit older while I play heavy rock heavy blues ,michael schenker UFO , SAxon , Priest ETC , Im not a death metal dude , The JSX is a great amp in its own right , but IMHO The marshall is the way to go , but not the TSL , I dont like the second channel and I think it takes away from the tone whereas the DSL is 2 channel and sounds better. Try em both see what you think
good luck I should say I have the DSL 100 .
Old 2005-08-23, 21:37
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to HalfmastTrousers
The JSX is a little more versatile, id go for that.

dont limit yourself to guitar store amps. Check out ENGL, Framus, and the like.

www.rocksolidamps.com

with my own time role your own innocence by
grab on to my sleeve the one that grabs at your ankle
debate to understand that we all have a flaw
then fail to represent your life as you know it
god grant you one wish to turn back the time... correct and create

me and my star
matthew good night
you know by law when you'll be forgiven
maria my star
matthew goodnight
you know my lord when you'll be forgiven
Old 2005-08-24, 05:10
Jono

Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfmastTrousers
The JSX is a little more versatile, id go for that.

dont limit yourself to guitar store amps. Check out ENGL, Framus, and the like.

www.rocksolidamps.com

+1,Alot more versatile than the marshall.
Old 2005-08-24, 06:10
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
+1,Alot more versatile than the marshall.

The Framus and Engl are kick ass but very expensive.
If you can try out each amp that will be the only way you can tell and Id suggest bring your guitar or try it with a similiar guitar.
Old 2005-08-24, 06:22
bugfucker strikes back.

Send a message via AIM to Dissection
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguitar
If you can try out each amp that will be the only way you can tell and Id suggest bring your guitar or try it with a similiar guitar.

Always try an amp with your guitar. Just makes fucking sense, don't it?

And yes, I agree. The ENGL would probably be on top of my list too, but its over expensive. I'd personally look at a Crate BLue Voodoo 120/150 before I'd consider another Marshall. Although, I can say that my AVT has about the cleanest clean I've ever heard. Sad thing is, its still an AVT and requires to be EQed. Ok, ok, the point of that is the fact that I don't have a great track record with Marshall at the moment. I keep meaning to check out the JSX, even though its about $800 past my limit.

If your dad has a say in it (i.e. money) it might be good to say you are gonna go with the marshall, and then cop out with some well thought out excuse. Such as the tone. I don't know. I'm on 5 hours of sleep. Damn not being able to sleep sucks.

Awesome.
Old 2005-08-24, 06:35
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Always try an amp with your guitar. Just makes fucking sense, don't it?

And yes, I agree. The ENGL would probably be on top of my list too, but its over expensive. I'd personally look at a Crate BLue Voodoo 120/150 before I'd consider another Marshall. Although, I can say that my AVT has about the cleanest clean I've ever heard. Sad thing is, its still an AVT and requires to be EQed. Ok, ok, the point of that is the fact that I don't have a great track record with Marshall at the moment. I keep meaning to check out the JSX, even though its about $800 past my limit.

If your dad has a say in it (i.e. money) it might be good to say you are gonna go with the marshall, and then cop out with some well thought out excuse. Such as the tone. I don't know. I'm on 5 hours of sleep. Damn not being able to sleep sucks.

Man you are one angry Dude , How many cats dont check out amps with their guitars it would amaze ya,
And a AVT compared to a DSL , uh well there is no comparison, the AVT sucks.
the JSX goes about $1200 , if thats past your budget ,you better work overtime at your janitors job at the local choke and puke.
Old 2005-08-24, 06:46
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Man you are one angry Dude , How many cats dont check out amps with their guitars it would amaze ya,
And a AVT compared to a DSL , uh well there is no comparison, the AVT sucks.
the JSX goes about $1200 , if thats past your budget ,you better work overtime at your janitors job at the local choke and puke.

I wasn't being an asshole, retard. And I'm working nearly full time and its not doing much, considering some of us have BILLS to pay. Car insurance and the rising cost of gas don't pay for themselves.

Awesome.
Old 2005-08-24, 06:58
Post-whore

Nile can get a pretty kick ass tone out of those jcm 2000. It's boosted guess. I never played that marshall but I really liked too. For what i've heard the marshall jcm 2000 is awesome when boosted.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Old 2005-08-24, 07:10
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
Nile can get a pretty kick ass tone out of those jcm 2000. It's boosted guess. I never played that marshall but I really liked too. For what i've heard the marshall jcm 2000 is awesome when boosted.

I have a triple XXX a Koch Powertone II and the DSL 100 , the DSL blows away the TSL and gets very heavy ,its a simple amp to dial in , The Koch is a better amp its Dutch made it kicks ass , but its expensive it has great gain great clean , the XXX is a great metal amp shitty cleans .
My main amp is the DSl its easy to dial in as brewtal as you want and great clean , How it is compared to a Framus or a engl I never demoed either ones, the JSX is a very good amp but again I think IMHO the DSL is one Id use.I play all sorts of guitars with it , mostly gibson pauls , but ESPs and a few Deans , they all sound great ,
Its each to their own
Old 2005-08-24, 11:45
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:

pretty reasonable these days actually. what with marshall's overnight price jump and all. you can now buy a new engl richie blackmore head for cheaper than a new tsl 100.
framus is in the 2k mark right now. provided you buy from rock solid amps. music123 or whatever is trying to get them for like $2,300-2,400 but last i new derek was pimping them out at $1950 for a cobra and 1850 for a dragon.

i just don't get marshall's thinking. you can now buy the mode four for like $1,500 instead of the $1,200 they used to go for... same amp, no updates, revisions or any of that. just new price tag.

mesa has always been pretty expensive... at least peavey is keeping it real with the 6505's at about a grand.
Old 2005-08-24, 11:52
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

X dude Which one better for metal

Framus Cobra or Dragon , Im thinking of copping a framus ,
Old 2005-08-24, 12:02
bugfucker strikes back.

Don't you "have" enough gear already?

Awesome.
Old 2005-08-24, 12:09
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Don't you "have" enough gear already?

you never have enuff man , he who dies with the most toyz still dies but dies happier. , Id sell one of my other rigs , The Koch stays home , The XXX I could sell and same as the marshall .
Old 2005-08-24, 12:20
bugfucker strikes back.

I was being a smartass, keying in on the fact that I doubt you actually have some of what you say you do, but eh.

Awesome.
Old 2005-08-24, 12:28
Post-whore

Send a message via ICQ to h4x5k8 Send a message via AIM to h4x5k8 Send a message via MSN to h4x5k8 Send a message via Yahoo to h4x5k8
I dont see why I let it get to me, but since this guy can drink hes already older than me, so he should atleast be able to spell the same or better than me.

enuff=enough
toyz=toys

and numerous others in other threads.

To be thread related, I would go with the jsx. I havnt tried to many high end marshalls, but the JCM 900 I tried wasn't that ballsy.
Old 2005-08-24, 12:40
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Actually I got none of it , I just made it up , And shit for brains I have a college degree ,
So what are you two , the new dynamic duo , to gang up on me, huh ,
Fucking Schmucks
Old 2005-08-24, 12:41
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

and Hx arent you the asswipe that got a speeding ticket , you stupid fuck
Old 2005-08-24, 14:55
New Blood

Quote:
And shit for brains I have a college degree

oh shit, don't mess with him. you know how hard those are to get...
Old 2005-08-24, 15:03
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

hey u doing ectasy

hey newbie what are you the new kid on the cock , I dont think they need your stupid ass to assist em , we go at pretty good without your smart mouth , be at least at metalhead level before you begin the joust , ok fuckface