MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2005-08-12, 06:37
thrashmetal
New Blood

6550 vs kt-88 power tubes

I have a 1982 vertical input JCM 800 2203 with 6550's currently in it. I'm going to be having a tube change soon and would like any input on KT-88's and how they compare to 6550's. thanks in advance. I mainly play thrash metal, currently with a TC Electronics Line +booster pedal, and I have a Soldano Hotmod on the way.

Old 2005-08-12, 16:24
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmetal
I have a 1982 vertical input JCM 800 2203 with 6550's currently in it. I'm going to be having a tube change soon and would like any input on KT-88's and how they compare to 6550's. thanks in advance. I mainly play thrash metal, currently with a TC Electronics Line +booster pedal, and I have a Soldano Hotmod on the way.

6550 is another name for kt88. and yes you do want to stick with kt 88's. i have them in my splawn pro mod 100 and they just destroy.

you still might want to have your amp rebiased when you retube it though. especially with a marshall.

nice gear!

Last edited by xdislexicx : 2005-08-12 at 16:27.

Old 2005-08-12, 16:52
thrashmetal
New Blood

cool sounds like a plan, any brand you recommend?

Old 2005-08-13, 18:13
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmetal
cool sounds like a plan, any brand you recommend?

i run jj's. sure they're pretty expensive, but they're great.

i've bought all my jj's from www.eurotubes.com no complaints... but i've noticed www.dougstubes.com also has pretty good prices and whatnot. and in this case a quad of jj kt88's is $6 cheaper though doug's tubes. but then again i'd also ask for a shipping quote and check some other jj dealers.

there are other brands and cheaper kt88's. but i've found generally for the power section on all my amps i've had, jj's have done me the best.

for preamp tubes, i also like jj's alot. but the sovtek 12ax7lps's kick alot of ass. i'd reccomend them if you're looking for a little more grit in your jcm 800, as the lps's and select jj preamp tubes have typically around %10 more gain than the average 12ax7.

if you're looking for cleaner tones, i had some mullard reissue 12ax7's in my triamp's clean section. sweet.

Old 2005-08-13, 19:22
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

Can anyone post a site that talks about the different sounds you get from different tubes,since i am going all tube now i really think i should know this stuff