MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 2007-07-01, 17:34
Inaphyt Inaphyt is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 240
Weird time signatures?

Name bands that write in very weird or no time structures (behold... the arctopus).

Not too fussy about it being metal but no jazz.... cos that would just be stupid
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2007-07-01, 18:40
moe_blunts's Avatar
moe_blunts moe_blunts is offline
wigger/redneck/drunkard
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: austin tx
Posts: 2,234
Meshuggah...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionist
you don't belong here. You belong on a Paul Wall message board.


http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2007-07-01, 20:08
Cunty Shunt's Avatar
Cunty Shunt Cunty Shunt is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaphyt
but no jazz.... cos that would just be stupid

Why?

Heart's Baracuda is in 25/16.

Tool uses alot as does Venetian Snares.
__________________
Everyone shut up but me.

http://www.myspace.com/jimmysband

http://www.myspace.com/pyrrhicthanatologymonger

Mr. Budd on Relapse explaining LDOH's IAHC Mcd: "It sounds like an inside-out gorilla eating 50 babies a minute."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2007-07-01, 21:50
timedragon's Avatar
timedragon timedragon is offline
Legio Draconorum Orkian
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: upon raging waves
Posts: 4,498
Send a message via AIM to timedragon Send a message via MSN to timedragon
might i ask why this is desireable. im not bashing this style. but, for as long as i can remember, i want to hear structure. call it "predictable", but thats only bad if you have some problem with structure. predictable is just a negative word for pattern. and, to be honest, i am put off by most music that does not do what i want it to, in structure. this whole "predictable" thing seems to be a defense for a lot of the guys who listen to technical/dissonant stuff. it shouldnt really be this way. i mean, if thats the best argument, one can gather, why even try, because most things, in life, seem to be more desireable, with structure anyway. i dont mean to bitch at all, its just something that caught my attention.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2007-07-01, 21:59
Zionist Zionist is offline
My Ass, Your Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,557
Send a message via AIM to Zionist
Between the Buried and Me have a lot of weird time signatures.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2007-07-01, 22:04
Inaphyt Inaphyt is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 240
Yes predictable is another word for pattern it's the people that like more exotic and unique patterns that can't stand the boredom of 4/4.

Why would you want a band to sound how you want it to sound? when i'm looking for bands i look for the most unique and interesting bands (to me) that are trying something new and/or incorporating loads of styles in their music.

When 99% of modern music is written in 4/4 it's a nice relief when you find a band that isn't oppressed by what is expected of them.

There are many many great bands that do write in 4/4 aswell and before this escalates into a discussion/argument i would prefer to keep the board clean in order for more interesting music swapping .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2007-07-01, 23:18
timedragon's Avatar
timedragon timedragon is offline
Legio Draconorum Orkian
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: upon raging waves
Posts: 4,498
Send a message via AIM to timedragon Send a message via MSN to timedragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaphyt
There are many many great bands that do write in 4/4 aswell and before this escalates into a discussion/argument i would prefer to keep the board clean in order for more interesting music swapping .

this is why im stopping here. not because you are trying to prevent an arguement, but because you assume it would have turned into one. i already said i wasnt bitching, and i said the exact words, to avoid any thoughts of confusion or bitterness. nevermind the whole fucking thing. this usually happens anyway, because most people cant express themselves, without inserting that last bit of doubt, in their own views.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2007-07-01, 23:19
Myrmidonlord666 Myrmidonlord666 is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 368
Send a message via MSN to Myrmidonlord666 Send a message via Yahoo to Myrmidonlord666
Theres alot of Hellwitch songs and Atrocity songs in fucked up time sigs or my ever often name dropped Demilich


But i think i've made it obvious in almost every post i like those bands but heres more senseless plugging
__________________
- you suck and your stupid
- Rise of Elitism: Yes the bands you like are gay
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
it was too hifi for me...
it's like a hot chick that is horrible in bed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2007-07-02, 00:12
Infinity's Avatar
Infinity Infinity is offline
Life is pain.
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,510
Dillinger Escape Plan
Anata
Monstrosity
Psyopus
Brain Resin
Captain Beefheart
Daughters
Flesh Mechanic
Immolation
The Locust
Some Girls
Nekkrosis
The Red Chord
White Zombie
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2007-07-02, 00:15
Myrmidonlord666 Myrmidonlord666 is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 368
Send a message via MSN to Myrmidonlord666 Send a message via Yahoo to Myrmidonlord666
Not necessarilly true about immolation, alot of their shit is in 4/4 or 5/4 they just use rests and odd note times to make it seem like its in a different time signature, kind of like funk music is typically in in 8/8 or 10/8 (this is based off what my drummer said about funk and Immolation) and it just sounds like the rhythm is awkward when its really easy on the ears. if that makes sense
__________________
- you suck and your stupid
- Rise of Elitism: Yes the bands you like are gay
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
it was too hifi for me...
it's like a hot chick that is horrible in bed.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2007-07-02, 01:00
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,980
Unless there's literally no structure, something with an unconventional time signature is typically as or more structured as something with a conventional one. Which is to say that your argument, td, is exactly the same as the one you're saying is a bullshit rationalization rather than a real argument.

For me this is like anything else; can be good or bad. So I don't collect bands with odd time signatures. But the grandaddy of them all is King Crimson, and everybody should listen to them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2007-07-02, 04:22
Unanything's Avatar
Unanything Unanything is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ballater, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 1,128
Send a message via MSN to Unanything
I have yet to notice a band who don't use 'time structure', or as I think you mean, rhythm, or a constant tempo under the whole thing.

Behold... The Arctopus use time structure, in fact, their time signatures have a structure of their own in some songs.

Or if you were meaning song structure, B... TA use lots of that. Some of their songs have the greatest thematic control in metal. Try and cite Estrogen/Pathogen Exchange Program as having no structure, and you only prove you have no ears, they return to the main theme(s) several times.

XHOHX
Spiral Architect
__________________


www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead



Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2007-07-02, 05:28
Theoldman's Avatar
Theoldman Theoldman is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cafe Le Psyence
Posts: 1,023
No offence to anyone who likes this kind of music, but I think that progressive music is reeeeaaaaally boring. I've tried so many times, but I just can't get into this stuff. Anyway, you might like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmY405qcVeQ
__________________
R.I.P. hide 1964 - 1998 <------- PRESS HERE!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2007-07-02, 05:40
Infinity's Avatar
Infinity Infinity is offline
Life is pain.
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,510
Noone in the world likes Dir En Grey...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2007-07-02, 05:51
Theoldman's Avatar
Theoldman Theoldman is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cafe Le Psyence
Posts: 1,023
Except all the thousands fangirls around the world.
__________________
R.I.P. hide 1964 - 1998 <------- PRESS HERE!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2007-07-02, 06:21
Infinity's Avatar
Infinity Infinity is offline
Life is pain.
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,510
Dude its true! They are all fan girls!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2007-07-02, 07:32
ZRO's Avatar
ZRO ZRO is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 354
I hate Dir En Grey
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2007-07-02, 08:47
Inaphyt Inaphyt is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
this is why im stopping here. not because you are trying to prevent an arguement, but because you assume it would have turned into one. i already said i wasnt bitching, and i said the exact words, to avoid any thoughts of confusion or bitterness. nevermind the whole fucking thing. this usually happens anyway, because most people cant express themselves, without inserting that last bit of doubt, in their own views.


Heh your a fool i wanted to stop it so

a) it wouldn't of turned into a discussion about how (you) one person doesn't like stuff that's not written in 4/4 because frankly i don't really care what you listen to as you obviously don't have any music written in weird sigs.

b) Cos someone else might of argued about my post which is why i put the last paragraph/sentence in the first place.

as this thread isn't for discussing why people listen to this style i would rather you didn't bring it up.

Make a thread why don't you?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2007-07-02, 08:48
Inaphyt Inaphyt is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Dillinger Escape Plan
Anata
Monstrosity
Psyopus
Brain Resin
Captain Beefheart
Daughters
Flesh Mechanic
Immolation
The Locust
Some Girls
Nekkrosis
The Red Chord
White Zombie


sweet
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2007-07-02, 09:34
Theoldman's Avatar
Theoldman Theoldman is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cafe Le Psyence
Posts: 1,023
It's Dir en grey, you n00bz!!1 D:
__________________
R.I.P. hide 1964 - 1998 <------- PRESS HERE!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:29.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.