MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2005-06-27, 22:50
active corpse fucker
Senior Metalhead

Music theory by ear

I have read posts (the one on nile about Iron Maiden using minor 3rd intervals etc) and there are a lot of things about using the ear for theory (obviously). Just wondering if there were any techniques to improve this as i have sat for hours playing notes trying to remember them, then try to transcribe a tab to submit only to find a week later that while the chord changes are correct and everything, that i am hearing everything and transcribing it a 5th lower then usual. Are any tips or is it just sitting down and playing stuff until it is drummed into the head.

btw i looked for a topic about this but couldn't find one in the guitar zone, tab requests or in this area. I apologise in advance if my search wasn't thoroug enough and there is some post nestled somewhere.

Old 2005-06-28, 00:15
guitar_demon
MotörCat

check out www.musictheory.net they have good trainers and one is a ear trainer where they will play an interval (together or one then the other or both) and you have to 'guess' the interval

edit: there are some tricks
a 2nd sounds very clashy, a 7th does to but it sounds further apart

one interval is the nbc theme (if you know what that is)
one is the first two notes to the wedding thing (here comes the bride...)
^^ forget which interval it is for both of those

a first is the same note (duh)
probably a few more
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Last edited by guitar_demon : 2005-06-28 at 00:19.

Old 2005-06-28, 00:36
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I can recall guitar world or guitar one, one just had an issue out not too long over intervals, they had that same lesson, showed all these popular songs and what interval the use. Like the wedding song, jeporady theme, twinkle twinkle little star, okay I know this is much help unless you have that issue. Just work with your intervals, and identifying their characteristic sound.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2005-07-16, 12:05
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

practice simpler stuff then apply your simple knowledge to more advanced stuff.

Old 2005-07-20, 14:52
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

Random comment number 1 for the day. . . big metal bands also love the inverted minor 3rd sound(Lamb of God. . . if you consider them big. . . and consider that, I believe, it was Willie Adler that didn't know what it is) but it is the same thing as a major 6th. . . . and I didn't listen to LoG past As the Palaces Burn anyways. . . .

RIP Brian Daniel McDonough: June 30, 1983- April 13, 2006, One of the bass greats that never was discovered

Old 2005-07-20, 14:58
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

Oh but the whole ear thing. . . You should be able to Identify basic intervals with your ear and then you have the fun of learning stacked intervals(commonly called chords. . . haha). Of course I have a DVD over Harmonic Ear Training(Roberta Radley, Berklee Press) and even in it she admits that it is much easier to figure out how to play a melody by ear than it is to figure out a bunch of chords and shit(especially when you get into all kinds of crazy suspensions and shit). The ear mostly helps you to know which sound you are wanting like how Hendrix would hear something in his head and transcribe it to guitar. I probably haven't helped by this comment or anything but ear training isn't the only part because you could always just sit around and practice it on the guitar. . . All in all it does help but never rely on one aspect of theory too much. .. it will let you down. . . learn as many techniques as possible and you'll find your favorites then you forget them all and they become second nature.

RIP Brian Daniel McDonough: June 30, 1983- April 13, 2006, One of the bass greats that never was discovered

Old 2005-08-31, 21:15
active corpse fucker
Senior Metalhead

cheers for your help

about a month in i can guess intervals about 75% right
i know i am bringing up an old topic but

www.good-ear.com is a good place for ear training.

Has all the intervals, scales and chords and even a way to learn if you have perfect pitch

I certainly don't. At the same time learning to read sheet music - this stuff is harder then anything i have tried on guitar!

Old 2005-09-09, 18:15
venalanatomica
New Blood

thats really hard.

im not gonna get too hung up on it tho, i can still write music etc, it takes time to develop a good ear, and ive only been playing for a few years. just because i dont know somethings a perfect 5th or whatever, i can still wirte a "sad" piece or know what sorta chord to get evil sounds from.

i spose i takes time for your brain to catch up with your hands..lol