MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2005-06-15, 03:50
Soeru
Post-whore

The Mustaine snarl...

I've always been a fan of David Mustaine's snarlish style of singing. I was wondering if other people here also like his vocals and if anyone can mimic his snarl. Some pointers on how to sing like him would be cool too.

It might be easier to sing like him if I was a serious burnout, but I'll pass on the hard drugs for now.

Old 2005-06-15, 05:46
7-string warlord
Post-whore

You might be able to do it by closing off your nose and kinda altering your voice in the throat, thats what i use for Alexi Laiho, could work for Mustaine

Last edited by 7-string warlord : 2005-06-16 at 06:10.

Old 2005-06-16, 04:59
Soeru
Post-whore

You mean clogging my nose with something or cutting off air kind of like squinting, but without actually wrinkling your nose? What I have most difficulty with is matching the pitch, I can't control my voice very well at mid-high pitches... I'm fine with high and mid, but the point in between(where Mustaine's sound lays according to my schematic) is rather tricky. I still get those teenager croaks once in a while.

Old 2005-06-16, 06:08
7-string warlord
Post-whore

cutting off air, as for the mid-high i aint the best at that either

Old 2005-06-16, 20:10
guitar_demon
MotörCat

i think he sounds good on the studio albums, but everytime I hear live clips of them I cant help but think he sounds kinda girlish almost...
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2005-06-17, 22:15
Tulvox
Post-whore

Yup. His voice was very girlish on Rude Awakening.

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2005-06-17, 22:34
Bia
Muffin Ass

Shit...his voice is HOT

Old 2005-06-17, 22:46
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

girlish is cool... i love his vocals on all of youthanasia, and on devil's island he kind of sounds like a metal robert plant..

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2005-06-17, 23:11
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I like to believe that I can sing like Dave, but I'm afraid the fact is I really can't without sounding... well... gay. Dave sounds great singing the way he does but he is the only one on earth that can do it.

Old 2005-06-18, 03:21
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
I like to believe that I can sing like Dave, but I'm afraid the fact is I really can't without sounding... well... gay. Dave sounds great singing the way he does but he is the only one on earth that can do it.

I feel the exact same way when singing his stuff. I can't do it without sounding like I'm being raped in the ass. But Dave Mustaine does it with balls.

If I were a chick, I would totally fuck Dave.

Old 2005-06-18, 03:34
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I have grown up singing Megadeth, but I can only sound good while singing along with Dave. When I would turn the volume down completely to hear my voice I was scared to death that I could sound so gay! Dave is the only person I know that can do the ass raping.

Old 2005-06-18, 04:18
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I like his singing the best on Peace Sells and Coundown, I think his vocals are ghey in Rust in Peace.

Old 2005-06-18, 04:35
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Yeah, but he is the only person that can make them sound less gayer.

Old 2005-06-18, 05:06
Bia
Muffin Ass

That's the thing....most of us think we sound bad...we hear ourselves diff.
Have you guys tried recording yourselves singing or judging your sound by the sounds your hear from mouth to ear?

Old 2005-06-19, 01:38
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
i think he sounds good on the studio albums, but everytime I hear live clips of them I cant help but think he sounds kinda girlish almost...

I have a ton of Megadeth live stuff and on a good portion of it, you're right, his voice sounds weird and girly. The rest of the time he pretty much sounds like he does on the albums. Fuck if I can figure out why.

Old 2005-06-19, 01:55
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I think he focuses to much on his vocals while recording and then while live he can't completely focus on singing because he is playing at the same time. I think that kinda spreads him thin live, but none the less it is still amazing that he can still sing as well as he does and play that complex at the same time.

Dave has talent.

Old 2005-06-19, 05:19
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Well he does sound pretty good on System has Failed.

Old 2005-06-22, 19:34
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

Just sound like your being anal-raped and want to like it even though the pain is nearly unbearable.
Seriously, Mustaine's voice sucks (in my opinion, at least). His voice is not only too high, but it is also too nasally. It's like a 5-year old brat bitching at his mommy for not getting the candybar he wanted. Dave is a perfect example of how attitude can, in some cases, make you sound extremely gay.
(I just scrolled down while typing and read more of the replies and realized all of what I said has already been said. So please, take the advice. Don't ever try to sound like that poor excuse for a metal-bashing man. Unless you sing about animals you'd like to fuck and why your wife left you for a man with a crooked penis. Then you could be a musical comedian.)

Old 2005-06-23, 03:16
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbolla
Just sound like your being anal-raped and want to like it even though the pain is nearly unbearable.
Seriously, Mustaine's voice sucks (in my opinion, at least). His voice is not only too high, but it is also too nasally. It's like a 5-year old brat bitching at his mommy for not getting the candybar he wanted. Dave is a perfect example of how attitude can, in some cases, make you sound extremely gay.
(I just scrolled down while typing and read more of the replies and realized all of what I said has already been said. So please, take the advice. Don't ever try to sound like that poor excuse for a metal-bashing man. Unless you sing about animals you'd like to fuck and why your wife left you for a man with a crooked penis. Then you could be a musical comedian.)

Die. Megadeth kicks ass. Mustaine has the balls to sing and play however the fuck he wants without caring about what people think of him. Even his regular speech make some doubtful of his sexuality, but he's clearly not homosexual, so quit calling everything you don't like gay, you sexually insecure child. I assume your opinion of Axl Rose's voice -or any 80's metal/rock singer's voice for that matter- isn't any different... How lame.

Last edited by Soeru : 2005-06-23 at 03:19.

Old 2005-06-23, 14:23
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Die. Megadeth kicks ass. Mustaine has the balls to sing and play however the fuck he wants without caring about what people think of him. Even his regular speech make some doubtful of his sexuality, but he's clearly not homosexual, so quit calling everything you don't like gay, you sexually insecure child. I assume your opinion of Axl Rose's voice -or any 80's metal/rock singer's voice for that matter- isn't any different... How lame.

What a shame. I attack Dave Mustaine and you attack me. Personal attacks are just stupid on this board.
And by "gay", we mean "lame" or "dumb", not homosexual.
And dear lord. "You sexually insecure child"? Fuck. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time on this. Good holy hell. Those mods are right. This does turn into a day-care center.
And please, don't reply with more insults or pissy hissy fits. Do you not remember The Golden Rule ??
Good day.

Old 2005-06-23, 21:20
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

I really like Dave's voice on Killing Is My Bussiness-Rust In Peace but that is as far as I go with Megadeth. Although his voice does sound girly and cheesy it fits the music. But I'm sure most of the 80's metal bands sound like girls anyway.

Funny story: My friend is the lead singer/guitarist for a thrash metal band. Everyone in the band likes different styles. He (like myself) likes Thrash, Death, and Gridcore. However no one else in the band is crazy about Death Metal or Grind so he decided to sing thrashy. Well he played one show and started to sing like a classic thrash singer (well like Dave anyway) and it sounded really cheesy. So everyone agreed that he should just sing Death vocals since he can't do high vocals (Kreator, Exodus ect) So now the band sounds like Iced Earth meets Opeth meets Slayer meets Bloodbath.

Just an odd fact that if any new band came out and tried to do Dave's voice people would'nt take it seriously.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2005-06-24, 11:11
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I think he was lip-synching on rude awakening, it looks like it on a couple of the songs.

Old 2005-06-24, 14:57
Cheese Co
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbolla
What a shame. I attack Dave Mustaine and you attack me. Personal attacks are just stupid on this board.
And by "gay", we mean "lame" or "dumb", not homosexual.
And dear lord. "You sexually insecure child"? Fuck. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time on this. Good holy hell. Those mods are right. This does turn into a day-care center.
And please, don't reply with more insults or pissy hissy fits. Do you not remember The Golden Rule ??
Good day.

Dude, actually that was perfectly fine what he said. He had a perfectly good reason. Gay does not mean 'lame' or 'dumb' no matter how much you want it to be. Personal attacks are much more intimate than that like for instance me telling someone to fuck a tree because their mom rapes them up the ass with a spoon and that i hope they rott in hell. Not just calling you a sexually insecure child.
In the process of him insulting you, you indirectly ((but directly) which makes no sense, but see if i give a shit) insulted him by calling it a Day-Care center, implying that he was a child. Ok, so apparently you arent the perfect angel that you had though.

But back on topic... Mustaine doesnt sound girly, he sounds like he has a unique voce, which is rare (nowadays atleast). It is different, god forbid we should get some variety in this world. Cheesey, sometimes... but still unique. I personally love his voice, when i first heard it, i was like 'Wow, this guy must be getting his balls grabbed' but honestly, it grew on me.

Old 2005-06-24, 15:37
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Co
In the process of him insulting you, you indirectly insulted him by calling it a Day-Care center, implying that he was a child.

That did seem more directed to the forumers as a whole...

Funny how you call this a day care center considering the nature and content of your last 2 posts, shimbolla.

Back on subject. I didn't know Mustaine did lip-synching on the DVD... it wasn´t on all the songs was it? I've seen some other live performances and he does do it nicely -in fact better than what he does on the DVD.

Last edited by Soeru : 2005-06-24 at 15:43.

Old 2005-06-24, 21:54
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

Dear heavens. A mod had called it a daycare center in a previous thread. That was my little "pun".

....PILLOW FIGHT!!!

The mistake I made was taking it seriously. Then, after I blew something out of proportion, other people did as well. My fault. I tell people how much they should be able to take an insult, and I've shown in this thread how I, too, am human. Sorry for the pussy fight. Hope we're still on for tonight.
Your Truly,
Your Biological Father

Old 2005-06-24, 22:15
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

1 more, i repeat ONE MORE off-topic shit and this thread gets it

Old 2005-06-24, 22:17
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Mustaine is a Metal GOD!

Old 2005-06-30, 18:29
Zertonshfits
Post-whore

Megadeth is real fast, real good thrash and Mustaine's vocs fit the band very well... now if he could stop obeying the damn church...

NECROTIC
Canadian Brutal Death (So you know it's good)