MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2005-05-24, 02:24
revoltingblob
New Blood

how to write sad-sounding guitar riffs?

hey, does anyone have any tips on writing sad-sounding black metal riffs? I am new to writing and am interested in writing riffs for my atmospheric black metal band. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Old 2005-05-24, 09:05
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Use the minor key and inverted power chords/diads. I think there's a thread in this forum about inverting power chords and some different shapes of diads.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-05-24, 12:02
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

slow goes hand in hand with sad
and yeah, what mansley said
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2005-05-24, 19:04
guitar_demon
MotörCat

what inversion do you mean john? or any in general
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2005-05-24, 21:05
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

figured black metal band play their power chords inverted
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-05-24, 21:57
SARS
Post-whore

http://metaltabs.com/forum/showpost...7&postcount=409

I dunno if that'll help anyone who is looking to write those kind of "sad" sounding songs. In my opinion the root note of the chord usually defines the sound.....

Old 2005-05-25, 08:59
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
what inversion do you mean john? or any in general

Just any in general.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-06-03, 16:48
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

If you pull it off right you can get "sad" sounds from diminished riffs, harmonic minor riffs, or a personal favorite hungarian minor. .. yeah I know that it isn't very typical, but structuring chords from those scales can be very pleasant or using the scale harmonies to your advantage(by the way hungarian minor is just like harmonic minor except it has an augmented 4th. . . so the formula using the major scale to define it is I-II-bIII-#IV-V-bVI-VII. . . .) give it a round about I didn't even know what it was the first time I heard it on Serenity Painted Death by Opeth. . . Very beautiful riffs that they pulled off with it. . . anyways. . . It creates a somewhat dissonant tension but eh, with a few little classical resolves and such, it is quite sweet.

RIP Brian Daniel McDonough: June 30, 1983- April 13, 2006, One of the bass greats that never was discovered

Old 2005-06-03, 22:01
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchambliss
If you pull it off right you can get "sad" sounds from diminished riffs, harmonic minor riffs, or a personal favorite hungarian minor. .. yeah I know that it isn't very typical, but structuring chords from those scales can be very pleasant or using the scale harmonies to your advantage(by the way hungarian minor is just like harmonic minor except it has an augmented 4th. . . so the formula using the major scale to define it is I-II-bIII-#IV-V-bVI-VII. . . .) give it a round about I didn't even know what it was the first time I heard it on Serenity Painted Death by Opeth. . . Very beautiful riffs that they pulled off with it. . . anyways. . . It creates a somewhat dissonant tension but eh, with a few little classical resolves and such, it is quite sweet.

try doing a pull off to a vibrato. that makes it sound really sad, also dynamics help make it more dramatic, same with a slow tempo like adagio in g minor. perfect example

Old 2005-06-13, 21:29
CoreyB

Red face

I dissect a lot of black metal I listen to and in the eyes of abyssic hate and judas iscariot, I see a lot of..

In standard Tuning.

[------------------------------------------------]
[121212121212121211111313/-101010910910/1212]
[101010101010101010101010/- 8 8 8 8 8 8 8/1010]

(not very good at tabbing, that was probably my first attempt ever)

etc, I get pretty dramatic / haunting riffs when I pull of things like this. I think it could also appeal to your sad senses in a way as well.

I try to compose some pretty atmopsheric dark metal as well, if you would like to talk to me sometime, I have a private ftp site where we can share some musical stuff. I'd love to hear what other people are doing out there.