MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2005-05-16, 23:56
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Bands with fatal flaws

Has anyone heard an album where everything about it was awesome, but one single part ruines it? For example, I love Cynic's guitar riff style, the drumming, and the bass work, but I WILL NOT listen to them because of those awful vocals. It's just too much. Another example, Cryptopsy. I do listen to them regularly and I like them, but if they had a more traditional styled death metal vocalist, they would probably be in my top 5 death metal bands. But unfortunately, because of Worm's incoherent, inconsistent vocals, they fall well outside my top 10. Anyone else have some examples?

Old 2005-05-16, 23:58
Transient
HES BAAACK

cryptopsys hardcore vocalist on both whisper and and then youll beg
watchtower make me cringe, same with spiral architect
quo vadis are really solid except when the vocalist tries to imitate carcass

brett's drunken vocals on stillborn are really bad

massacres guitar solos ruin it

chucks riffs on control denied's album are weak and rehashed

Old 2005-05-17, 00:02
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

some of Decapitated blast beats sound sloppy.

Old 2005-05-17, 00:02
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

I thought that Spiral Architect's vocals sounded a bit like Dickenson, I like them

You forgot Toxik

Old 2005-05-17, 00:46
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

When there is a bad part of an album, I just neglect it, I don't even pay attention to it. It sort of just bypasses my attention, so I don't even really know.

Old 2005-05-17, 00:49
SARS
Post-whore

The Haunted - Pete Dolving - Nuff Said.

Old 2005-05-17, 00:50
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

No matter how many time I try to listen to Cynic, the vocals just kill everything. Tdh you are lucky.

Old 2005-05-17, 00:54
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Dave Mustaine's vocals. Yeah you could get tired of Cynics vocals pretty easily. Machine Head's vocals get on my nerves sometimes. Some of The Crowns riffs are just cheesy.

Old 2005-05-17, 00:55
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Dragonforce:badass riffs,stupid ass vocals
Cryptopsy:as stated above,the vocals
Overkill: once again the vox
Hate Eternal:constant blast beats

Old 2005-05-17, 00:59
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
No matter how many time I try to listen to Cynic, the vocals just kill everything. Tdh you are lucky.

Oh, dammit, I know what you mean now, I thought you meant an idividual song or something on a cd, or a part of a single song.

Well, the drums on napalm death's album scum just about kill the cd. Also, on morbid angel's brainstorm the guitar is mixed way too low, but otherwise its a fucking awesome cd. I could probably think of more also.

Old 2005-05-17, 01:30
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

I wish more metal bands had the bass higher in the mix. I want to hear it. Really. I don't think there are enough bass heavy bands around today.

I guess the reason is that most of the time the bass is just following the guitar, but I love it when the bass goes against the guitar. Give me some more of that. I wish I had a bass guitar.

By the way, there isn't a single metal band I won't listen to because of the vocals. There are no metal bands whose vox are so bad I can't listen to them for that reason and that reason only. If I can listen to Barnes-era Cannibal Corpse, obviously vox don't mean much to me. I like the vox on Atheist's Elements, though.

Last edited by Chris Rezendes : 2005-05-17 at 01:34.

Old 2005-05-17, 01:30
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Has anyone heard an album where everything about it was awesome, but one single part ruines it? For example, I love Cynic's guitar riff style, the drumming, and the bass work, but I WILL NOT listen to them because of those awful vocals. It's just too much. Another example, Cryptopsy. I do listen to them regularly and I like them, but if they had a more traditional styled death metal vocalist, they would probably be in my top 5 death metal bands. But unfortunately, because of Worm's incoherent, inconsistent vocals, they fall well outside my top 10. Anyone else have some examples?

I know of dozens of great bands ruined by horrid vocals......in my opinion of course.
I long for Metal Instrumentals

Old 2005-05-17, 03:09
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Kataklysm - too much fucking blast! If I want to hear industrial equipment, I'll go down the road to the overpass construction. Unfortunately, these clowns seem addicted.
Norther - too much pansy screech. Not convincing.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2005-05-17, 03:16
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

A perfect example for me is King Diamond. I love the music, "Them" and "Abigail" kinda has that NWOBHM-Maiden sound w/ great dual lead guitars, but I can't stand his voice.

Old 2005-05-17, 04:06
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
A perfect example for me is King Diamond. I love the music, "Them" and "Abigail" kinda has that NWOBHM-Maiden sound w/ great dual lead guitars, but I can't stand his voice.

Yeah, I used to like his voice (and still do on the first two Mercyful Fate albums), but he generally gets on my nerves now.

These are good bands I stopped listening to ages ago because of the vocalist:

Exodus
Queensryche
Fates Warning

Most shredder bands have the fatal flaw of not having a real rhythm section and crap vocals on top of that which is why I never listen to these guys anymore:

Satriani
Vai
Cacophony
Vinnie Moore
MacAlpine
newer Megadeth (post So far so good so what)
Malmsteen
Savatage

I think there are too many to list...

Old 2005-05-17, 04:24
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

I hated those Cynic vocals at first, but now I don't even notice them. The music is too good. Same applies for Lord Worm, except that he always kicked ass. He's different.

Capharnaum - Once again, the vocalist. Why would such a great death metal band employ the services of the Trivium singer? They suck nuts.

Severed Savior - Not a big one, but I don't like the vocals on their 'Brutality Is Law' Album. The ones on 'Forced To Bleed' are fine though.

Hate Eternal - Guitars are repetitive, as are the drums, but that doesn't matter too much in Derek's case.

Old 2005-05-17, 04:28
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

i think its the vocals that make for the biggest flaws throughout bands. in most cases, as long as the guitars and vocals are either good, or decent (according to my standards), i will like a band. they may have boring drums, or bass, but that wont bother me. good drums and complex bass are just more of a bonus for me.

Im not sure if id like immolation otherwise, but i cant stand how the singer ends practically every other word or group of words with "uh". It pisses me off so much, i amlost smashed the cd on the dresser like i did to mortician.

Nokturnal mortum put way to much blast beats on "to the gates of blasphemous fire", and on top of that the drums were too loud anyway. it ruins many parts, imo.

Summoning was way too repetative on Minas Morgul.

Hecate enthroned made the bass drum sound like a cardboard box on Upon promethean shores.

If Sinergy had good vocals, i would love them.

speaking of alexi, sort of, he IS a flaw now, imo.

Old 2005-05-17, 04:47
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Kataklysm - too much fucking blast! If I want to hear industrial equipment, I'll go down the road to the overpass construction. Unfortunately, these clowns seem addicted.

Yep.

Necrodeath - the newer vocalist sounds lame, really.

Sonata Arctica - sometimes the keyboards get really annoying

Evergrey - sometimes the vocalist sounds really lame, and sometimes he sounds cool.

Old 2005-05-17, 04:59
kin
Senior Metalhead

Gammacide - Singer : takes a ton of intensity out of the band
Vio-lence (I am sorry) - singer : I just...dont really dig his style. Does not flaw the band at all though.
Early Razor albums - Drummer - Takes alot of speed and power away from the riffs

Old 2005-05-17, 06:07
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

Anybody whom tries to imitate the mighty Jeff Walker.
Nobody can do it, they should all stop trying.
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2005-05-17, 07:03
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylito
Most shredder bands have the fatal flaw of not having a real rhythm section and crap vocals on top of that which is why I never listen to these guys anymore:

Satriani
Vai
Cacophony
Vinnie Moore
MacAlpine
newer Megadeth (post So far so good so what)
Malmsteen
Savatage

I think there are too many to list...

What the hell? Satch always has a very strong ryhtym section. And Cacophony is ana ctually band, they have a great drummer and an excellent bassist.

And your tryng to tell me that Rust in Peace has no rhythm??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca

Capharnaum - Once again, the vocalist. Why would such a great death metal band employ the services of the Trivium singer? They suck nuts.

You dont like him just because he's in Trivium...?

I cant stand Immolation much... They just bore the hell out of me, dont know why but I've tried and tried to get into them but their guitar tone completley sucks, all the recordings I've heard have shitty production..

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Last edited by BLS : 2005-05-17 at 07:05.

Old 2005-05-17, 07:17
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

Behemoth-Nergal is so fucking self righteous and seemingly egotistical that his lyrics, while not necessarily horrible, come out as self important drivel.

Hatework-The lyrics suck. Hideous.

Rhapsody-They seem to go out of their way to incredibly gay.

Manowar-Oh, to choose just one flaw. They suffer from the above Rhapsody problem while still finding new ways to be lame. They are fairly monotonous, and really have put out nothing innovative or worthwhile in their entire career.

Deicide-They always focus on the same fucking topic. There is so little variation that even if they were to stick in a song with a different topics, odds are it would be buried too deep in "No me gusta Christo" speech that no one would notice or care.
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind

Old 2005-05-17, 07:42
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Newer Megadeth has a weak rhythm section, but, to be fair, they've always had a crappy rhythm section. If you think otherwise you're very self-deluded. There's no thrash band you listen to for the guitars more than Megadeth.

Some of you don't seem to realize that the topic is 'Otherwise Strong Bands That Have One Thing That Makes Me Hate Them,' not 'I Hate These Bands!' - d'you follow? For the most part you've been good, but when you include a band you don't like at all just to poke fun at its weak points, you belong in another thread. This is the thread for people who can't listen to Nevermore because they can't get used to Warrel Dane, not the people who can't listen to Slipknot because everybody involved in or enjoying that band must be gay. Follow?

I always felt that Belladonna sounded like somebody having his nuts stamped, and that Spitz played like a child in love with the one scale he'd learned, but I always dug old Anthrax. There aren't many bands whose flaws I can't get by, and when I can't, they tend to outweigh the band's good aspects. Like Linkin Park or Necrophagist or something.

And two of Capharnaum's songs have Suecof on vocals, bitches. Go listen to those, or any of their pre-Fractured output (2 albums). Silly.

Old 2005-05-17, 07:59
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
You dont like him just because he's in Trivium...?

I cant stand Immolation much... They just bore the hell out of me, dont know why but I've tried and tried to get into them but their guitar tone completley sucks, all the recordings I've heard have shitty production..

No, that's got nothing to do with it. I think that Suecof should have done the whole album. But anyway, I was saying that I thought it a stupid idea to have someone from a band like Trivium fronting a band like Capharnaum. Trivium are shite, at least from the two songs I heard off their new album.

And about Immolation, I can't agree with your reasons. I realise that they have a style that's going to bore many people (I didn't like it first time I listened either). However, that guitar tone is badass, suits the riffage to a tee, and the only albums you could possibly say have shitty production are the earlier ones (Dawn.., Here In After). Personally I think the production rules on Here In After, makes the album sound so gloomy and epic. Awesome album.

Last edited by Cloaca : 2005-05-17 at 08:05.

Old 2005-05-17, 09:01
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I cringe at most of Trey's solos as they get lost in a swathe of wah and whammy wankerage. Some are good, nay classic, but he seems to have a stock solo for when the juices aren't flowing. I still love Morbid Angel though.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-05-17, 11:58
SARS
Post-whore

This doesn't touch on "fatal" but I do sometimes cringe at some of Amon Amarth's slower songs...I just feel they could be speedened up abit...

Old 2005-05-17, 17:55
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Watchtower - Shitty vocals but I can tolerate them 'cause everything else kicks-ass.

Annihilator - Vocals can be extremely shit in places, but when they're normal (minus the hardcore screaming, and emo as in stressing the "American" , singing) they can be kick ass.

Old 2005-05-17, 20:47
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion
Anybody whom tries to imitate the mighty Jeff Walker.
Nobody can do it, they should all stop trying.

Yeah but Sean "Bloodbath" McGrath in Impaled is a dead ringer for Jeff. It's not exactly like Jeff's but he sounds the closest.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2005-05-17, 20:59
DEAD
Post-whore

Vocals dont bother me anymore, I can seriously block out band vocals and listen to the music.

What turns me off about Cynic is the production, although I'm used to it by now.
Comforting silence

Old 2005-05-17, 21:04
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

Megadeth are the obvious choice.
Orphaned Land's clean singing pisses me off.

Oh and almost all the lyrics written by any thrash metal band are pure shit.

Old 2005-05-17, 21:18
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes
I wish more metal bands had the bass higher in the mix. I want to hear it. Really. I don't think there are enough bass heavy bands around today.

The Haunted (i think) are good because their bass is high in the mix. At least when i saw them live and heard a couple or tracks it was like that. High mixed bass is most appealing

Old 2005-05-17, 21:36
I Play Drums
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes

Pavor is pretty cool.
| ``````E-FIGHTS```````|
| ````````ARE``````````l
| ``````HILARIOUS``````|
| `````````````````````l
'--------------Ooo-------'
````````|__|__|
`````````||`||
````````ooO Ooo

Old 2005-05-17, 22:37
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

i only know of it on this song but six feet under-the day the dead walked, the hi pitched part that sounded like a fucking muppet

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2005-05-17, 22:54
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

Quo Vadis - Sometimes the singer really sucks, and the riffs are kind of bland.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2005-05-17, 22:58
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:

oh come on now, its king diamond, you know what youre getting into

Old 2005-05-17, 23:04
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

If you say so...

Old 2005-05-17, 23:16
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
Yeah but Sean "Bloodbath" McGrath in Impaled is a dead ringer for Jeff. It's not exactly like Jeff's but he sounds the closest.

What did you think of Leon de LaMuerte?

Old 2005-05-17, 23:18
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
Annihilator - Vocals can be extremely shit in places, but when they're normal (minus the hardcore screaming, and emo as in stressing the "American" , singing) they can be kick ass.

It's dire, isn't it? A shame in an otherwise skillful thrash band. "All For You" was riddled with fag.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2005-05-17, 23:20
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

3 inches of blood:

the out of nowhere "hardcore" screams. they don't belong in power metal.

Old 2005-05-17, 23:21
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast

yes on the later stuff, get Two From The Vault- Alison Hell/Never Neverland, singing is good, production rules, and Jeff Waters is on FIRE!!

Old 2005-05-18, 00:18
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
It's dire, isn't it? A shame in an otherwise skillful thrash band. "All For You" was riddled with fag.

nothing can top literally THEE gayest chorus of all time

*clears throat*

ahem

SIXES! AND SEVENZ!!!!

Old 2005-05-18, 00:43
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Newer Megadeth has a weak rhythm section, but, to be fair, they've always had a crappy rhythm section. If you think otherwise you're very self-deluded. There's no thrash band you listen to for the guitars more than Megadeth.

I always felt that Belladonna sounded like somebody having his nuts stamped, and that Spitz played like a child in love with the one scale he'd learned, but I always dug old Anthrax. There aren't many bands whose flaws I can't get by, and when I can't, they tend to outweigh the band's good aspects. Like Linkin Park or Necrophagist or something.

And two of Capharnaum's songs have Suecof on vocals, bitches. Go listen to those, or any of their pre-Fractured output (2 albums). Silly.

Nick Menza's very fluid in his playing... one of my favorites.

you stupid Bush lover..

HA! I GET THE LAST LAUGH IM ON THE DVD!

and Spitz has really long arms and is crossed eyed... how much more metal can you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ton Alien
3 inches of blood:

the out of nowhere "hardcore" screams. they don't belong in power metal.

Atleast their trying something new, dont like them then listen to one of the other 354363454334 power metal bands that all sound the same. But I dont think they need a whole extra singer just to do those screams..

Quote:
And about Immolation, I can't agree with your reasons. I realise that they have a style that's going to bore many people (I didn't like it first time I listened either). However, that guitar tone is badass, suits the riffage to a tee, and the only albums you could possibly say have shitty production are the earlier ones (Dawn.., Here In After). Personally I think the production rules on Here In After, makes the album sound so gloomy and epic. Awesome album.

Fair enough, but Failures For Gods has a horrible guitar tone.. like a big pile of mud.. really sad too I'm sure theirs some great riffs buried in that mess somewhere..

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-05-18, 00:49
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

Pig Destroyer would be better if JR Hayes didn't scream like such a fucking pussy. He can do death-style vocals, so I don't understand why he shrieks as if his balls were being cut off.

Old 2005-05-18, 01:55
Pandemonium
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD

Evergrey - sometimes the vocalist sounds really lame, and sometimes he sounds cool.

Aww man, I love Englund's vocals. You can really tell he takes his performance passionately. But to each his own.

Old 2005-05-18, 02:02
BrutalGtrPlayer
Metalhead

I get really annoyed when a band uses way too many thirds. Perfect example is Cannibal Corpse's Gallery of Suicide album.

Old 2005-05-18, 02:54
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
What the hell? Satch always has a very strong ryhtym section. And Cacophony is ana ctually band, they have a great drummer and an excellent bassist.

And your tryng to tell me that Rust in Peace has no rhythm??

Satch has an awesome rhythm section live, but the compositions and album versions are generally lacking style.

Cacophony...maybe you're right on that. The guitar bored me. We're there any vocals on Speed Metal Symphony? I forget. I seem to think there were some and they were bad.

Rust In Peace I consider a good album, but not good enough to listen to over any of the first three. That's the first album that had the gay backing vocals, the new not so hot lead vocal style, Marty Friedman's boring solos, and uninspired drumming. Maybe no fatal flaws on that one.

PST said something about them never having a good rhythm section, but I think Gar and Dave 2 ruled which is why the first two albums are FAR above the rest IMO.

Really I'm mainly picking on the big dogs since pointing out the fatal flaws of shit bands is pointless. In that spirit I'll add that Pantera's fatal flaw was not changing their name when they came out with Cowboys From Hell. I find it very hard to like them having already heard the old power metal poser crap from the early days.

Old 2005-05-18, 03:07
ShredIsNotDead
Post-whore

Quote:
Cacophony...maybe you're right on that. The guitar bored me. We're there any vocals on Speed Metal Symphony? I forget. I seem to think there were some and they were bad.

Rust In Peace I consider a good album, but not good enough to listen to over any of the first three. That's the first album that had the gay backing vocals, the new not so hot lead vocal style, Marty Friedman's boring solos, and uninspired drumming. Maybe no fatal flaws on that one.

Yeah, there were vocals on Speed Metal Symphony. They were alright but not great.

Man, it's funny you say that Friedman's solos are boring. I always found he added a lot of creativity to the solos and songs. I found Poland's solos and most of his songs he was associated with to bore the shit out of me.

I'm going to go into some uncharted territory here. I find that most of Chuck Shuldiner's solos make me cringe. They are far from being a fatal flaw, but very noticeable. I preferred it when Andy Larocque had solo duties.

Old 2005-05-18, 03:13
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
In that spirit I'll add that Pantera's fatal flaw was not changing their name when they came out with Cowboys From Hell. I find it very hard to like them having already heard the old power metal poser crap from the early days.

AHAHA, thats fucking retarded man. Who gives a shit if their old music wasn't your thing (I like it.. ) if you like post power metal stuff then whats the problem?

Friedman boring? His phrasing is extremely creative.. he hardly uses scales but instead creates his own.. which is awesome imo. Very original player.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Last edited by BLS : 2005-05-18 at 03:23.

Old 2005-05-18, 03:22
MyOwnSavior
Registered Sex Offender

Dimmu Borgir and Slayer for the same reason and that's the vocals. Cattle Decapitation has an awesome vocalist (even though he doubles his voice) but the music is just horrible. Children Of Bodom musically is really great but is hard to stand Alexi's vocals. In some older Deeds Of Flesh, the vocals and drums overpowered the guitar.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

“I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'.” - Early Cuyler

Old 2005-05-18, 03:46
Josh
Metalhead

I would love Dillinger Escape Plan if they didn't have the metalcore vocals.......it just totally ruins it for me for some reason, and I'm not picky on vocals to begin with.

Old 2005-05-18, 03:50
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Atleast their trying something new, dont like them then listen to one of the other 354363454334 power metal bands that all sound the same.

i enjoy them. i think they (3 Inches) are one of the best "power metal" bands around.

but trying something new isn't always a positive thing. the hardcore screams do not belong there, the same way rapping doesn't belong in black metal, to give an example.

Dragonforce managed to shove blast beats into power metal (at least i think they were the first ones) and it worked. it didn't took away from the atmosphere you have on a typical power metal song.

3 Inches failed at introducing the hardcore vocals into the "molds", so to speak, of power metal. it kills the atmosphere and takes away from the epic feeling the songs usually have.

to sum everything, as a long time power metal fan, i feel that mixing power metal with metalcore is "wrong", not because it's the "kvlt" thing to do but only for the fact that it doesn't feel like power metal at all.

Old 2005-05-18, 04:45
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Severed Saviors Forced to bleed. Great music, but the guitars sound like mud... And I love severed savior. Brutality is law is one of my favorite albums.

I dont know, I really liked everything about Cacophony. It was catchy, and had amazing guitars.

Chuck.. he wasnt the best soloer, but I do love his solo's. Yeah, a lot of his solo's sounds similar but they are good.

And wow, this topic really starts a lot of arguements.. wonder why!

Old 2005-05-18, 05:05
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
AHAHA, thats fucking retarded man. Who gives a shit if their old music wasn't your thing (I like it.. ) if you like post power metal stuff then whats the problem?

Just one of those things I guess. I think Friedman also catches a lot of flack from me because he is such a poser. If he wasn't always trying unsuccessfully to look "metal" I would probably enjoy his playing more.

That is the fatal flaw of most bands IMO... Image.

And Chuck is an awesome solo player, but I generally only listen to the pre-Human albums which were less noodling in the solo department and had better drums.

Last edited by Kylito : 2005-05-18 at 05:07.

Old 2005-05-18, 05:06
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
Severed Saviors Forced to bleed. Great music, but the guitars sound like mud... And I love severed savior. Brutality is law is one of my favorite albums.

Hehehe, I think the opposite to you. I love Severed Savior as well, but I like the production of FtB way more than BiL. The vocals sound annoying on BiL, but the guitar tone is pretty sick.

Old 2005-05-18, 06:11
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Just one of those things I guess. I think Friedman also catches a lot of flack from me because he is such a poser. If he wasn't always trying unsuccessfully to look "metal" I would probably enjoy his playing more.

Look metal? He's in a fucking Jazz Pop band..

He's not trying very hard to look, be, or act metal.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-05-18, 09:32
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

A) I hated Belladonna well before I heard Bush. Even if Bush sucked, Belladonna would still suck. He sounds like he couldn't record unless Scott Ian had Charlie Benante on his shoulders while stepping on his (Joey's) nuts.
B) I'm on last year's DVD.
C) Gar was mediocrity embodied. Like I said, the rhythm section in Megadeth was never a big deal, and if you want to delude yourself into believing it was that's your business.

If you want a referential scale, Lars was crapulence embodied. Follow? No? Fuck you, especially if your problem with Pantera is that they got noticeably better. 'Oh no, this shitty band is better than they used to be! They must suck!' What the fuck logic is that? Most of the people here (because they're tools) can't stand pre-Corpsegrinder CC, but they don't have dumbass little 'Why couldn't they change their name? They would've been sooooooooooooo much cooler!' arguments to back them up. My point? All of you shut up.

Yeah, I've been drinking, and I'll keep that up.

Oh, and Marty Friedman always looked like himself. His attempts to look 'metal,' if you call it that, amount to nothing different than his attempts to look 'Japanese.' If you can't stand a guy's playing because of his pictures, you have a very big problem.

Old 2005-05-18, 11:45
fatdanny
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Friedman boring? His phrasing is extremely creative.. he hardly uses scales but instead creates his own.. which is awesome imo. Very original player.

Agreed, I love the lead on rust in peace.

I don't really like Goratory's vocalist, but the music is great, the bass really stands out.

Old 2005-05-18, 11:50
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

I would like Black Metal, except for the anoying raspy high vocals, the crappy doomish synth sound, the anoying raspy guitar tones, the "boom-box inside a metal trashcan" production, the unimaginative drum beats and the general evilness of it.
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2005-05-18, 12:55
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Any black metal that uses keyboards and synth. If I wanted to hear the fucking symphony orchestra I'd get a record from them instead. I'm paying to hear black metal and the band, not that bullshit.

Old 2005-05-18, 18:22
Rattler
Metalhead

one "fatal flaw" i have found with Slayer is that Sum41 happens to like them
that sends chills up my spine, dont get me wrong, im a huge fan

Old 2005-05-18, 20:47
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
one "fatal flaw" i have found with Slayer is that Sum41 happens to like them
that sends chills up my spine, dont get me wrong, im a huge fan

SUM41 likes them, what are you talking about?...........you mean Slayer likes them, cuz Kerry played w/ them.

Old 2005-05-18, 21:07
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Quote:
SUM41 likes them, what are you talking about?...........you mean Slayer likes them, cuz Kerry played w/ them.

Thats more like it.

Old 2005-05-18, 22:32
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

60% of nu metal kids like Slayer... for the wrong reasons, mind.

Old 2005-05-18, 22:38
Rattler
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofStorms
Thats more like it.

I read a artical about Kerry King, King said that he was "forced into it".

Old 2005-05-18, 22:39
Rattler
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRoseImmortal
60% of nu metal kids like Slayer... for the wrong reasons, mind.

i assure you thats not me

Old 2005-05-18, 22:49
fatdanny
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
I read a artical about Kerry King, King said that he was "forced into it".

I doubt that. The pile of money was probably just too tempting... Who cares anyway? It doesn't make slayer sound different.
Unless a changing fanbase makes them change their music metallica style, I suppose.
Slayer's problem these days is Kerry writing lyrics.

Old 2005-05-18, 23:05
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

Slayers problem in general is Kerry.

Old 2005-05-18, 23:49
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Yea and Kerry likes Dicksnot too

Old 2005-05-19, 00:45
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
I doubt that. The pile of money was probably just too tempting... Who cares anyway? It doesn't make slayer sound different.
Unless a changing fanbase makes them change their music metallica style, I suppose.
Slayer's problem these days is Kerry writing lyrics.

That, (combined with Kerry's lead playing) has always been Slayer's problem. Even Hanneman only has the occasional good solo.

If you honestly think about it, Slayer is a musical anomaly. They are four musicians who aren't really that good at their instruments (Lombardo is the exception, although sometimes it was more speed than anything), that somehow managed to become living legend. Don't get me wrong, Slayer have some excellent riffs, overall, the ratio of excellent to horrible ratio is questionable.

Old 2005-05-19, 02:16
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbolla
Pig Destroyer would be better if JR Hayes didn't scream like such a fucking pussy. He can do death-style vocals, so I don't understand why he shrieks as if his balls were being cut off.

You kiddin me man??? I love PD'S vocals, it never gets boring for me. How can you not like that dude constantly insanely screaming at high pitch? Just too awesome.

It was indeed a sellout thing to do for slayer to get all lovey-dovey with Sum41, but I don't give a shit because they haven't released anything I consider crap. Even God Hates Us All doesn't suck.

Xasthur- It sounds pretty good, but they play the same damn riff over and over again for like 5 minutes. This one reason ruins my appreciation for this band.

Old 2005-05-19, 02:56
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Gar was mediocrity embodied. Like I said, the rhythm section in Megadeth was never a big deal, and if you want to delude yourself into believing it was that's your business...

And Business is Good...

As far as Pantera and Friedman go, not liking them because of their image is my opinion, not my problem. I could call you retarded for liking them, but I used to like Friedman in the eighties and Pantera's OK sometimes. If you can seriously look at all the various album photos and videos of Marty Friedman and not think he's one of the biggest posers in history then I pity you.

Old 2005-05-19, 03:02
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreadfulHoroscope
It was indeed a sellout thing to do for slayer to get all lovey-dovey with Sum41,....

I'm not aware of this...need more data please.
Seriously though....not sure what you mean here but is a band like Slayer supposed to hate a band like Sum41 automaticaly or is there a deeper reason?

Old 2005-05-19, 03:18
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Kerry King played a solo in an incredibly gay Sum 41 music video. I mean.. fuck, i think the song was "Rock, its what we're all about" or something stupid like that.

Old 2005-05-19, 04:23
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
Kerry King played a solo in an incredibly gay Sum 41 music video. I mean.. fuck, i think the song was "Rock, its what we're all about" or something stupid like that.

WELL WELL WELL MUTHA FUCKA

Old 2005-05-19, 08:52
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
Don't get me wrong, Slayer have some excellent riffs, overall, the ratio of excellent to horrible ratio is questionable.

You're fucking shitting me aren't you? They have at least 6 albums without a shitty riff in earshot.

Old 2005-05-19, 15:12
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
You're fucking shitting me aren't you? They have at least 6 albums without a shitty riff in earshot.

What I'm saying is, for every killer "Raining Blood" or "War Ensemble" there's a filler riff or two that they just put under a verse or prechorus. Maybe the word choice I used was a bit off, but what I'm trying to get across is that while they do have some really good, realy memorable riffs, there are those that either don't really stick out, or in some cases sound alot liked others.

For instance, the first riff in "Dead Skin Mask." If you play it, it utilizes almost al of the same notes as "South of Heaven," and in all honesty, sounds suspciously like it (without the menacing feel).

Old 2005-05-19, 17:18
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

Decrepit Birth - Too much blast and the riffs sound pretty much the same to me all the fucking time, boooooring.

Old 2005-05-19, 18:28
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabbefusk
Decrepit Birth - Too much blast and the riffs sound pretty much the same to me all the fucking time, boooooring.

Agreed.

Old 2005-05-20, 04:53
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

I think a lot of that has to do with the uneven production of ..And Time Begins. Apparently they've been playing a new song at recent shows, and they've taken quite a big step in a different direction. More melodic and stuff like that, apparently.

Old 2005-05-20, 05:03
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

Quote:
I hated those Cynic vocals at first, but now I don't even notice them. The music is too good. Same applies for Lord Worm, except that he always kicked ass. He's different.

Agreed

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2005-05-21, 12:20
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
What I'm saying is, for every killer "Raining Blood" or "War Ensemble" there's a filler riff or two that they just put under a verse or prechorus. Maybe the word choice I used was a bit off, but what I'm trying to get across is that while they do have some really good, realy memorable riffs, there are those that either don't really stick out, or in some cases sound alot liked others.

For instance, the first riff in "Dead Skin Mask." If you play it, it utilizes almost al of the same notes as "South of Heaven," and in all honesty, sounds suspciously like it (without the menacing feel).

The way I see it, no band can write 10 songs per album that have 6 or 7 instantly memorable and classic riffs over the course of 6 or 7 albums. What Slayer have managed to do up to and including Divine Intervention is put 1 or 2 killer riffs in each song on each album. That's a far higher output (over that period of time) of classic riffs than any band that I could care to mention.

Old 2005-05-21, 18:58
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
The way I see it, no band can write 10 songs per album that have 6 or 7 instantly memorable and classic riffs over the course of 6 or 7 albums. What Slayer have managed to do up to and including Divine Intervention is put 1 or 2 killer riffs in each song on each album. That's a far higher output (over that period of time) of classic riffs than any band that I could care to mention.

its all over now man, no contest, give this guy the 10 million dollars. i dont know the exchange rate into the british currency, nor wish to know.

Old 2005-05-21, 20:11
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

my thoughts exactly

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2005-05-21, 22:20
IRON FART
Senior Metalhead

Blind Guardian - Music and vocals are GREAT. But I don't listen to them because of the cheesy lyrics.

Rhapsody - They could be a really great band, but they are IMO really repetitive. And they sing about dungeons and dragons all day.

Kataklysm - Vocals

Iced Earth - I will listen to them often, but Something Wicked is really depressing for me.

There are a lot of Death/Black metal bands that I won't listen to because they have really shit vocals and just boring riffs.

Locust - Listen and you will understand.

Old 2005-05-22, 04:36
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

Dream Theater, Their vocalist usually kills everything. They could be so much better but Labrie(or whatever) screws it up. Then again Dream Theater are kinda cheesy so that screws them up as well, they always write about shit thats way to global not local enough. If I wanted to hear about the factors(opinions) concerning abortion I'd read a book not put in a CD. I guess another band would have to be Symphony X, they seem to do the same thing(vocal wise not lyric wise). Another band would be GWAR, they have the ability to be great musicians but it seems as though their stage presence/persona takes over the music. . . guess that's why they call it "shock rock".

RIP Brian Daniel McDonough: June 30, 1983- April 13, 2006, One of the bass greats that never was discovered

Old 2005-05-22, 23:33
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

Someboy I think is worth mensioning is Katatonia. Their music is quite depressive. After listening to a whole CD i feel like going and finding a knife and turning it upon myself. This isn't quite a fatal flaw, because I still listen to them quite a bit, but its still getting there.

Old 2005-05-23, 04:41
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

I see your point, it's just an opinion thing on my part though. I mean, I'd probably say the same thing about Overkill or Exodus.

Old 2005-05-23, 05:22
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Quote:
As far as Pantera and Friedman go, not liking them because of their image is my opinion, not my problem. I could call you retarded for liking them, but I used to like Friedman in the eighties and Pantera's OK sometimes. If you can seriously look at all the various album photos and videos of Marty Friedman and not think he's one of the biggest posers in history then I pity you.

Your opinion which, in both cases, has nothing to do with the music; this is why it's a problem.

I don't actually like Friedman; his playing style's too neat for me and he really hastened Megadeth's decline into an overly clean sound, but my problem has everything to do with what he plays and nothing to do with the fact that (and you're right), he's a massive poser. His Guitar World or whatever column was annoying too. But if his playing really ruled as much as people keep claiming, none of that would matter.

As for Pantera: again, unless you've changed what you're saying, the fact that they became a better band than when you first knew of them is your problem; this makes no sense. If you don't like post-glam Pantera, that's fine by me; but not to like it because they used to be worse? If that's the case, the pity's flowing both ways.

Give me something that has to do with the music and I might not think you're little contributions here are such a joke. Though it's still better than the kid who said his flaw for Slayer was the Sum 41 like them.

Old 2005-05-23, 06:51
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Your opinion which, in both cases, has nothing to do with the music; this is why it's a problem.

Any why is that a problem? Because it's not what you would do? The wheel of kharma is going to strike me down because I poke fun at people?

Quote:
Give me something that has to do with the music and I might not think you're little contributions here are such a joke. Though it's still better than the kid who said his flaw for Slayer was the Sum 41 like them.

Everything's a joke to me PST. A lot of people here take my jokes seriously, but that's what happens when you read something differently than the author intended. Do I think I would like Friedman in he wasn't a poser? No. Pantera? No, they're better than they used to be, but still boring. Am I going to type in all five million reasons why I don't like them? No, just the first thing that comes to mind and amuses me to write. Why do some of you guys focus on my response when the entire thread is about personal pet peeves? I have no clue. Did I get offended by you giving your discourse on how the thread should be responded to in your first post? No, I laughed as usual and ignored it.

Old 2005-05-23, 09:01
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Always get so touchy over 'jokes'? Probably my favorite internet defense tactic. Thanks for the entertainment, grumpums.

Old 2005-05-23, 09:04
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!
(x.x) (> <)

Old 2005-05-23, 19:42
fatdanny
Post-whore

Quote:

Yeah, that's true. That little
------9-10-----
----7----------
--0------------
thing is also used in 'spill the blood' and 'divine intervention'.
It is subtly different each time though. It still kicks arse.

Old 2005-05-24, 01:37
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
I'm not aware of this...need more data please.
Seriously though....not sure what you mean here but is a band like Slayer supposed to hate a band like Sum41 automaticaly or is there a deeper reason?

I don't know what hell I was smoking when I used that term "lovey dovey" anyway...

Old 2005-05-24, 01:43
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Always get so touchy over 'jokes'? Probably my favorite internet defense tactic. Thanks for the entertainment, grumpums.

Touchy? When did that happen? Where DO you come up with this crap?

Old 2005-05-24, 17:18
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Another one: Slayer.

Never liked 'em, I just find them boring as fuck. (*Runs away from villagers bearing pitchforks and hoe's*)

Old 2005-05-24, 19:35
Mordor
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchambliss
Dream Theater, Their vocalist usually kills everything. They could be so much better but Labrie(or whatever) screws it up. Then again Dream Theater are kinda cheesy so that screws them up as well

thats my thoughts exactly

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!

Old 2005-05-24, 20:24
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...

i love suffocation to death, but the guitar always sounds so muddy to me.

Old 2005-05-25, 01:12
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Nasty Savage. Somtimes Nasty Ronnie's voice gets on my damned nerves.

Old 2005-05-25, 02:35
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Nasty Savage. Somtimes Nasty Ronnie's voice gets on my damned nerves.

I agree with that. I liked his voice on the debut album but not after that (about the only semi-falsetto metal voice I ever liked besides King Diamond on the first two Mercyful Fate albums). Penetration Point was just plain shitty.

I think it's already been mentioned, but Anthrax's fatal flaw has always been the vocals. They should just stick with the S.O.D. lineup at all times.

Old 2005-05-25, 22:20
Zertonshfits
Post-whore

Slayer: Diabolus In Musica... and an aging Tom Araya thats losing his throat

Metallica: the end of the 80's

Satch: singing...

Megadeth: Dave+religion= shit

most black metal: gay synth and high pitched screatching vocs

certain Cryptopsy: to much fuzz on guitars... but its still cool

NECROTIC
Canadian Brutal Death (So you know it's good)