MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 2005-03-26, 22:22
Necrovore Necrovore is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 81
Mesa Rec /Soldano Avenger decision

I'm in the market for a new amp and have been eyeballing two amps. One is a Dual Rec and the other is the Soldano Avenger.
I have played both and really like both but tend towards the darker character of the Mesa more. My question regarding the Mesa is that I do not like how it seems flubby in the bottom end. I know that you can have the amp modded etc.. but I do not want to spend $1600 on an amp then have to pay more to fix something that should be able to be dialed in stock. Is there a way to tighten up the bottom end using the knobs on the amp? I also know that Dual Rec's come from the factory biased cold. I know that the amp has that bias switch so that I can change between EL34's and 6550's. Other than that is the amp able to be internally biased? I like the tubes towards the high end of the voltage ratings. Tube life is not a concern because tubes go out you change them... That is part of having a tube amp, maintenance.

As for the Avenger, this is the perfect amp. Perfect if you want a one trick pony. the Avenger is what Marshall should have done when they came out with the 2203. What I do not like about it is that it is single channel and a little mid heavy. But the mids are tailored so that they are never nasally.

I play Blackdeath and want a thick heavy tone but not that fizzed out scooped tone.
Thanks for any info on my questions.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2005-03-26, 22:41
Soulinsane's Avatar
Soulinsane Soulinsane is offline
Pirate Lawd
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanger 18
Posts: 6,507
Let me save you the trouble and money. The Randall RM with a Recto will give you all that you want from the Recto with out the noise and sponginess. It just fucking blows my mind how good they sound. I actually like the Randall Recto better than the Mesa recto.
__________________
Authorized Mercury Magnetics tech/dealer

Last edited by Soulinsane : 2005-03-26 at 23:34.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2005-03-26, 23:20
BLS's Avatar
BLS BLS is offline
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,705
Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Soldano SLO-100

Now you have an Avenger w/ a clean.
__________________
"Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the cemetery gates"

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2005-03-26, 23:33
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Soldano SLO-100

Now you have an Avenger w/ a clean.

+1

the avenger is just the poweramp section and lead channel from the slo 100...

as for the recto... throw some el34's in there and tell me what you think... it really tightens up the flub and reduces the unusable bass.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2005-03-27, 04:13
Six_Feet_Under_420's Avatar
Six_Feet_Under_420 Six_Feet_Under_420 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,506
I would go for the rectifier
__________________
.
.
.
.
.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2005-03-27, 10:32
Necro_Butcher's Avatar
Necro_Butcher Necro_Butcher is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PEI, Canada
Posts: 1,103
Send a message via MSN to Necro_Butcher
I was watching cannibal coprse's making of the wretched spawn last night.

the tone Pat Obrein got out of his recto was amazing!

i might just consider a triple rect if i can't get an ENGL
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2005-03-27, 13:08
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
the triple recto is nothing like an engl... they're voiced completely differently... and you have to understand that's pat's "studio tone".. custom bc rich into recto+shitloads of other amazing things they can do in the studio.

besides.. engl powerball $1,850, triple recto $1,700... engl richie blackmore $1,600..

if you can afford a triple recto you can afford an engl.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2005-03-27, 13:36
John Holland's Avatar
John Holland John Holland is offline
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Angelskingarden
Posts: 2,395
Send a message via AIM to John Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
the triple recto is nothing like an engl... they're voiced completely differently... and you have to understand that's pat's "studio tone".. custom bc rich into recto+shitloads of other amazing things they can do in the studio.

besides.. engl powerball $1,850, triple recto $1,700... engl richie blackmore $1,600..

if you can afford a triple recto you can afford an engl.


And between a triple rectifier and an Engl ... for me, there is no contest.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2005-03-27, 14:30
Necro_Butcher's Avatar
Necro_Butcher Necro_Butcher is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PEI, Canada
Posts: 1,103
Send a message via MSN to Necro_Butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
the triple recto is nothing like an engl... they're voiced completely differently... and you have to understand that's pat's "studio tone".. custom bc rich into recto+shitloads of other amazing things they can do in the studio.

besides.. engl powerball $1,850, triple recto $1,700... engl richie blackmore $1,600..

if you can afford a triple recto you can afford an engl.

yeah man thats what i figured it was all the studio magic that made it sound amazing, but it still did sound AMAZING.

yeah im still going for the ENGL, but i need to hear more soundclips of the powerball, im thinking of emailing Derek at rocksolid and asking for some Deathmetal clips from the powerball
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2005-03-28, 01:46
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
yeh, i'm just saying that price is no excuse to pick a recto over an engl..

the rectos are still pretty bad ass.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2005-03-28, 13:34
Necrovore Necrovore is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Soldano SLO-100

Now you have an Avenger w/ a clean.


Yeah but I do not nor see the reason to spend over $2000 for a guitar amp when I am not making at least $200/night playing out. If I had the money yes the SLO would be looked at over these other two.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2005-03-28, 13:38
Necrovore Necrovore is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
the triple recto is nothing like an engl... they're voiced completely differently... and you have to understand that's pat's "studio tone".. custom bc rich into recto+shitloads of other amazing things they can do in the studio.

besides.. engl powerball $1,850, triple recto $1,700... engl richie blackmore $1,600..

if you can afford a triple recto you can afford an engl.


I'm interested in the Engl amps but no one in my region(100 miles radius from my home) sells these. Know of any dealers in South Texas? I was actually trying for a high end limit of around $1500-1600. But for something special I could go a few hundred more. Nothing over $2000 though as that is plain rediculous.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2005-03-28, 16:08
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
well, i guess if you arent willing to spend that kind of money then you arent willing to get that kind of tone. you'll have to settle for something else.

you could always grab an avenger used, and then something different like a used jc 120 for a clean amp, and then use an a/b box to work between them like a channel switcher.. shouldnt run you over $2,000.. but you'd be stuck hauling two amps around.

as for engls... they're way rare in america.. i'm lucky to have played some of them. but then again they're on the level of niceness that you can do a blind buy and if by a chance in hell you arent satisfied, you can resale it for the same price. that imo is one of the best advantages of buying used.

how about a 5150/6505 or 5150 II/6505+? in your price range... and very soldano ish... like a slo without the mojo.. why? because the 5150 is a complete ripoff of a soldano slo. just a bitless in build quality, customer service and not quiet as nice in sound quality.

also, the soldano modded tube yamaha's ae fucking awesome too.

the hughes & kettner triamp could always use a look.. that's what i have. not very soldano like, but it's an amazing amp for just about anything. i paid like $1,250 used for mine, with the midi module installed. i could have gotten it for $1,100 without the midi module but i need it.

have you considered a modded marshall? like a two channel jcm 800 with a gain mod?

just throwing some ideas around. you'll find something... but i don't suggest cheaping out. if it's your dream amp. don't sell yourself short.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2005-03-28, 16:49
Soulinsane's Avatar
Soulinsane Soulinsane is offline
Pirate Lawd
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanger 18
Posts: 6,507
Or the Randall RM. Please don't over look that amp people. Just FYI
__________________
Authorized Mercury Magnetics tech/dealer
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2005-03-28, 19:23
Necrovore Necrovore is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
well, i guess if you arent willing to spend that kind of money then you arent willing to get that kind of tone. you'll have to settle for something else.

you could always grab an avenger used, and then something different like a used jc 120 for a clean amp, and then use an a/b box to work between them like a channel switcher.. shouldnt run you over $2,000.. but you'd be stuck hauling two amps around.

as for engls... they're way rare in america.. i'm lucky to have played some of them. but then again they're on the level of niceness that you can do a blind buy and if by a chance in hell you arent satisfied, you can resale it for the same price. that imo is one of the best advantages of buying used.

how about a 5150/6505 or 5150 II/6505+? in your price range... and very soldano ish... like a slo without the mojo.. why? because the 5150 is a complete ripoff of a soldano slo. just a bitless in build quality, customer service and not quiet as nice in sound quality.

also, the soldano modded tube yamaha's ae fucking awesome too.

the hughes & kettner triamp could always use a look.. that's what i have. not very soldano like, but it's an amazing amp for just about anything. i paid like $1,250 used for mine, with the midi module installed. i could have gotten it for $1,100 without the midi module but i need it.

have you considered a modded marshall? like a two channel jcm 800 with a gain mod?

just throwing some ideas around. you'll find something... but i don't suggest cheaping out. if it's your dream amp. don't sell yourself short.


Yeah thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the hughes & kettner website the other night I just have no clue who sells them here in the US, at least in my area. As for Marshalls, That is what I own and just want a change. As for Peavey's yeah I know all about the 5150, but I would rather have a tube amp that doesnt have to plug tubes into the main board of the amp, just in case.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2005-03-28, 19:32
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrovore
Yeah thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the hughes & kettner website the other night I just have no clue who sells them here in the US, at least in my area..

if they don't have a list of dealers on their website.. e-mail them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrovore
As for Peavey's yeah I know all about the 5150, but I would rather have a tube amp that doesnt have to plug tubes into the main board of the amp, just in case.

what?
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2005-03-29, 06:25
Def's Avatar
Def Def is offline
Master Killer
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 11,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrovore
I'm interested in the Engl amps but no one in my region(100 miles radius from my home) sells these. Know of any dealers in South Texas? I was actually trying for a high end limit of around $1500-1600. But for something special I could go a few hundred more. Nothing over $2000 though as that is plain rediculous.

you could get a powerball for that ammount, I've got one and I'm damn pleased with it. it's my 3th Engl amp at the moment, I love them! check out www.rocksolidamps.com for sound samples. (owner derekB is on these forums too)

as for H&K, the only thing worth getting is the Triamp which will set you back a load of cash if you get it new.

5150's aren't at the same level if you ask me, but ofcourse you can mod those fuckers.

if you really had to pick between the mesa and the soldano, I'de go for the soldano any day of the week. but I'de rather get a used SLO100 (or maybe an SL60 if you can find one)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2005-03-29, 12:52
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
as for H&K, the only thing worth getting is the Triamp which will set you back a load of cash if you get it new.

i dunno, being a triamp owner, and having played many a duotone.. the duotone can cover pretty much the same ground as the triamp, but you only have TWO channels, instead of 6.

and even then.. these amps arent made to be the most insanely brutal monsters on the planet like an engl powerball.

they're ment to be the all in one amps, the kind of amp anyone can buy for any style. and be happy with it.

but that's not to say you can't still acheive insane high gain brutality with bone crushingly tight low end and lots of gain on tap.

a new mkII triamp without the midi module is like $2,700. a used one can be had for a few hundred under $2,000 though.

i bought my used mkI for only $1,250 with the midi module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
5150's aren't at the same level if you ask me, but ofcourse you can mod those fuckers.

amen... but i think considering the 5150 is less than one 3rd the price, i'm amazed at how good they are sometimes.

but the soldano imo sounds better and looks better. not to mention the build quality is WAAY superior, that's not even an opinion, that's fact.

not to say peavey shit isnt well built, my bro has had his 5150 for a while now and not ran into any problems. same with alot of other dudes.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2005-03-29, 15:16
Def's Avatar
Def Def is offline
Master Killer
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 11,372
lol the same dudes that had all those problems with their 5150's like on these forums?

the duotone ain't bad. but it sure ain't no triamp, it sounds more boring to me, the triamp just does way more and thats its charme.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2005-03-29, 16:00
xdislexicx xdislexicx is offline
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The West.
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
lol the same dudes that had all those problems with their 5150's like on these forums?

those were just blown speakers in combo amps mind you.

i'm talking about blowing fuses and tubes, frying shit, breaking down, ect... not the speaker quality of sheffeilds.

60w into two 30w speakers is a recipe for trouble.
__________________
Friends don't let friends play Krank!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.