MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2005-04-20, 19:33
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Scale Intervals

Okay,

Recently, I've been compiling theory reference charts to post around my jam room. Using resources from here and other sites, I've compiled a chart with the natural/melodic/harmonic major/minor scales, and all their corresponding intervals. I believe this will serve as a good tool for beginner theorists, like myself. If I could get one of you guys that know alot about theory to download and validate that I didn't fuck up, I'd greatly appreciate it. For the others, once it's been certified, feel free to download ya a copy and print it out for reference.

UPDATED: 4-21-05
Attached Files
File Type: doc Scale Intervals.doc (36.0 KB, 247 views)

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Last edited by davie_gravy : 2005-04-21 at 21:35.

Old 2005-04-21, 03:28
amerok
Senior Metalhead

Unless youre showing a comparison between major and minor you wouldnt put a flat III, or any other flats anywhere. It is asumed that the III is flat because the scale is minor. Same thing with harm. and melodic. Depends on how you want the chart to be read..

Old 2005-04-21, 14:45
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Yeah, for major you got it right. For minor you don't put "bVII"--you just put "VII." To get technical, you only put those flats in front of the roman numeral when you start getting into modal mixture and neaplitan chords.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2005-04-21, 21:33
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Ahh,

I see. So the only reason I would put flats in there is to show the comparison of what notes are flattened to make some other scale/mode in relation to say... the major scale. Updating Attachment...

Old 2005-04-22, 13:19
powersofterror
Forum Leader

...??......eh? There is no "comparison..." When the flat signs are in front of the roman numeral, it just means the chord is based on a flattened scale degree (not in the original key signature). Minor Keys already have the flat notes, so there is no need to write the flats in for every roman numeral.

....but yeah, it's better now.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2005-04-24, 17:00
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

Attempted Help

Ok, I read the Scale Intervals doc and I wish to simply add on a little.
All of my examples are formulated from the major scale(Ionian) so when I b the III VI and VII steps of the Natural minor scale(Aeolian). I'm using the steps of Ionian to give the steps of Aeolian in which case they will need to be flatted.
In major or minor or whatever people choose to refer to them as now these are the scale formulae.
H- Half, W- Whole; Half is one fret, Whole is two frets up.
fe: fret 3 on the low E is a G, one H up and you hit G#/Ab, two H's(one W) up you hit A.
dom- Dominant
There should not be any errors as far as information goes and the conduction of that information should be equally as correct as far as my typing capabilities I suck.
I. Ionian(natural major)- I- II- III- IV- V- VI- VII- I
Steps- W- W- H- W- W- W- H
fe: Cmaj: C- D- E- F- G- A- B- C
Dmaj: D- E- F#- G- A- B- C#- D
Hopefully that gets the general concept of the first mode down.

II. Dorian(a form of minor, from major)- I- II-bIII- IV- V- VI-bVII-I
Dorian(from natural minor, easier)- I- II- III- IV- V- (natural)VI-VII-I
Steps- W- H- W- W- W- H- W
fe: D Dorian: D- E- F- G- A- B- C- D
A Dorian: A- B- C- D- E- F#- G- A
Now for the third mode.

III. Phrygian(form of minor, from maj)- I- bII- bIII- IV- V- bVI- bVII- I
Phrygian(from natural min)- I- bII- III- IV- V- VI- VII- I
Steps- H- W- W- W- H- W- W
fe: E Phrygian: E- F- G- A- B- C- D- E
A Phrygian: A- Bb- C- D- E- F- G- A
and fourth.

IV. Lydian(form of maj)- I- II- III-#IV- V- VI- VII- I
Steps- W- W- W- H- W- W- H
fe: F Lydian: F- G- A- B- C- D- E- F
C Lydian: C- D- E- F#-G- A- B- C
Now I see why people don't bother to try to explain this stuff in forums very much. If all of the viewers understand this I'm going to be off like a prom dress. But as long as I help just one person I will feel as though this post was worth my time.

V. Mixolydian(form of maj, actually dom)- I- II- III- IV- V- VI- bVII- I
Steps- W- W- H- W- W- H - W
fe: G Mixolydian: G- A- B- C- D- E- F- G
A Mixolydian: A- B- C#- D- E- F#- G- A
Now for the next.

VI. Aeolian(Natural minor)- I- II- bIII- IV- V- bVI-bVII- I
Steps- W- H- W- W- H - W - W
fe: A Aeolian: A- B- C- D- E- F- G- A
B Aeolian: B- C#- D- E- F#- G- A- B

Now for the least liked/used due to its diminished tonic.

VII. Locrian(diminished)- I- bII-bIII-IV-bV-bVI-bVII- I
Steps- H- W - W- H- W- W - W
fe: B Locrian: B- C- D- E- F- G- A- B
A Locrian: A- Bb- C- D- Eb- F- G- A

That's it for the modes of the natural major scale, it helps to learn these and then go towards chord formulae, that way you know that modes I, IV can make beautiful maj 7th chords, where as in the same key modes II, III, VI can make min 7th chords, the V of that scale can make a beautiful dom 7th chord, and your VII step makes up your min 7(b5) chord. I don't feel like doing anything more than skimming the top on that subject for now though, tell me what you think of this and if it helps, if it doesn't I will not bother going any deeper. This post is not too deep but as with all of music it does take time, patience and a lot of studying if you don't already know this, next up I will explain more about chords, exotics, pentatonic modes and so on and so forth. I've had multiple theory courses and of course I order many books and movies, if you wish to hear more from me let me know. So before I involuntarily stab myself in the eye for the redundant words. Later.

Old 2005-04-24, 19:07
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Cool, another theory buff. You should resurrect some of me and demon's old threads and add anything you wish.

This is my band's page

Old 2005-04-24, 19:15
guitar_demon
MotörCat

yea damn nice work bud
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2005-04-26, 13:52
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

Thanks guitar demon and powersofterror, It will take me a little while to get around to the next lesson maybe a week or more. I don't know what I want to touch bases with next or how I want to approach it. I know I need to go into either chords of exotic scales, either way I have to follow up with chords from natural major modes and chords for the exotics. So one way I divide the chord lessons up and just do scales/modes and urg. I think I'm going to go with doing exotics next, then just do all the chords together. Maybe even do a nice little explanation of consonance and dissonance, by our western music. I know I'll get around to an explanation of intervals but yeah. It's more trouble finding out what I want to talk about and organizing my thoughts than anything. Anyways, thank you for the compliments and as long as people are listening, I'll continue to blabber. I'm tired of incorrect information being spread around so easily online and correct information being harder to find. If anyone that views this needs a more in depth explanation of anything I say. Inform me and I'll try my hardest to explain in better terms or terms that anyone can understand. Beginners remember. We all start where you are, all that matters is how you teach yourself and if you care to learn.

Old 2005-04-26, 20:31
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I'd like to know more about chord progressions, substitutions, and how to apply scales and modes to progressions.

Old 2005-04-26, 23:47
powersofterror
Forum Leader

We have a great feature called SEARCH here on this site. *hint hint*

This is my band's page

Last edited by powersofterror : 2005-04-26 at 23:50.