MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2007-08-15, 05:27
Post-whore

Oldass thread... Cool stuff.

I've recently discovered something that'll help your wrist tremolo picking a LOT, making it a lot faster and more consistent(read it on another forum).

The trick is to practice a lot of downpicking, not alternate pick as fast as you can with a metronome! Alternate picking with a metronome will get you nowhere.

Practice downpicking as fast as you can as much as you can. You will cramp up. When you do, stop and find a different angle or minor alteration to your wrist pivoting, rest a little and keep doing it. You will find a sweetspot that wont get your wrist/forearm tired as fast. Then keep practicing on that one at a slower comfortable speed and keep practicing it for quite a while, gradually going faster and hold it for like one minute when you reach the max. Rest. When you reach that max keep practicing it with the same position you were using it before.

Do this for 5-10 minutes, relax, then go play something with a lot of tremolo picking, do it all from your wrist and you will notice a HUGE difference. I can't wait to see how it feels if I do this for prolonged periods every single day.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2007-08-15, 14:00
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru

I've recently discovered something that'll help your wrist tremolo picking a LOT, making it a lot faster and more consistent(read it on another forum).

The trick is to practice a lot of downpicking, not alternate pick as fast as you can with a metronome! Alternate picking with a metronome will get you nowhere.

Practice downpicking as fast as you can as much as you can. You will cramp up. When you do, stop and find a different angle or minor alteration to your wrist pivoting, rest a little and keep doing it. You will find a sweetspot that wont get your wrist/forearm tired as fast. Then keep practicing on that one at a slower comfortable speed and keep practicing it for quite a while, gradually going faster and hold it for like one minute when you reach the max. Rest. When you reach that max keep practicing it with the same position you were using it before.

Do this for 5-10 minutes, relax, then go play something with a lot of tremolo picking, do it all from your wrist and you will notice a HUGE difference. I can't wait to see how it feels if I do this for prolonged periods every single day.

Interesting, I'll have to try that.
Old 2007-08-27, 23:39
Supreme Metalhead

I was thinking that it would be a very good idea to put excercises that can keep me occupied in guitar pro, that cover sweeping, legato, tapping, alternate picking, string skipping, trem picking, and can keep me occupied for an hour at a time. That isn't atonal, and sounds decent.

I figured this would be a good idea, considering, I lost my metronome, and GP has a built in one. Plus I tend to fuck around too much when I practice, and having a set curriculum would end that. I hate learning songs on electric guitar, atleast right now, considering the low level I'm at.

Any advice, or recommendations on this, I thought this would be the right place to ask.
Old 2007-08-28, 12:44
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru

THIS TOTALLY WORKS!!!
i can't believe it,z i thought that the only thing to get better was practice but if i do this for five minutes a day i'm warmed up and fuckin fast!!!
thanks soeru
Old 2007-09-01, 15:56
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
I know Steve Morse recommends doing that with upstrokes ... something I'll do tonight at my new house.
Old 2007-09-02, 06:05
Post-whore

Also I think it's worth mentioning that I use retardedly high pick gauges. I think pick and string gauges are overlooked too much when they really have a big impact on playing fast comfortably.

The purple dunlop big stubby 3.0mm ones are like all I use nowadays, I just bought 2 dozen of em.

I used to use those purple tortex 1.14's and the light purple nylon 1.5's a lot but they flop and bend a lot when you use high gauge strings, the big stubby 3.0's are fucking impossible to bend though, and smooth, so you never feel like you're getting stuck on the strings, you just rip through with them with little effort. There's also the stubby jazz 3.0's which are exactly the same but with a pointier edge, haven't tried those. It'll sound like dull shit on low tunings with thin strings so consider trying stronger strings if it flops and sounds bad to you. I got a guitar in B with 59-13's(a 7-string set taking off the high E) and it sounds awesome with it, and my picking is practically flawless.

I wouldn't suggest it for anything that involves a lot of barre chord strumming though.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)