Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-04-18, 18:25
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
petrucci hits all the notes live, fine. he doesnt sing, however, and doesnt have much stage prescence. laiho runs all around stage and screws up all the time. which do you prefer?

I dont know if anybody will stand by me with this, but when I go to a show, I don't pay to see a musician running aorund and not trying to play to the best of their ability. I like to see a musician playing as best they can. Look at Terrence Hobbs, he NEVER moves at ALL on stage, but that does not affect a show in a negative way, and he is not screwing up all the time. Am I crazy for having this mentality?
Old 2005-04-18, 18:27
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion
Obviously enough people like it though. Otherwise they wouln't still be releasing albums. I have Train of Thought by Dream Theatre and I think it shits all over anything that I have heard come off a CoB album.

I guess everyone has their own opinion. it just depends on your tastes.
Old 2005-04-18, 18:32
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
I dont know if anybody will stand by me with this, but when I go to a show, I don't pay to see a musician running aorund and not trying to play to the best of their ability. I like to see a musician playing as best they can. Look at Terrence Hobbs, he NEVER moves at ALL on stage, but that does not affect a show in a negative way, and he is not screwing up all the time. Am I crazy for having this mentality?

Right, I don't go by a bands cd because the fuckin guitar player can do back flips while tapping. I buy cds because I like the music and the level of musicianship is a factor.
Old 2005-04-18, 18:36
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrolechery
the fuckin guitar player can do back flips while tapping.

I don't know, that might be pretty entertaining. But This is correct, if you want to see people running around trying their hardest to entertain the audience, go watch the clowns at the fucking circus. If your music is so boaring that you need cheap stage antics to keep the audience entertained then you fall into the same category as slipknot.
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?
Old 2005-04-18, 18:37
Post-whore

Quote:
Right, I don't go by a bands cd because the fuckin guitar player can do back flips while tapping.

I'd actually like to see that... .
Old 2005-04-18, 18:45
Senior Metalhead

Angry

Quote:
Petrucci just catches a lot of shit because he can play
and improvise without screwing up. Everyone of course is entitled to their own opinion, but the fact is Petrucci is an accomplished player who's style is very polished and Alexi is not(yet). Maybe in a few years he will be if he is lucky
and isn't forgotten about. Personally, I think his playing is stale rehashed
crap. I haven't heard a single song by COB that even remotely justifies the hype he gets He was in one of the guitar mags recently with one of those betcha can't this licks and I swear I thought it had to be a joke. He played some tapping lick that sounded like it came out of some instructional
book on tapping( like example 1 or something ). Call me a dick I don't care that's my opinion.

Fuck Improv
If you improv a solo, it doesnt come from the heart because your not actually composing anything. Its just random noise. Alexi Laiho actually writes his solos and memorizes them note for note. If thats not soul and effort, you need to rethink how you listen to music and play your guitar. If you think its only about playing as fast as you can all the time and look like a stiff, unstylish dork, you would be wrong my friend.
Old 2005-04-18, 18:47
New Blood

Someone brought up the fact that JP doesn't sing, so what, he sings occasional back ups. Besides, I know tons of guitarist/vocalists that could burn Alexi on guitar, vocals, and run around the stage.
Old 2005-04-18, 18:54
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Angry Hobbit

Fuck Improv
If you improv a solo, it doesnt come from the heart because your not actually composing anything. Its just random noise. Alexi Laiho actually writes his solos and memorizes them note for note. If thats not soul and effort, you need to rethink how you listen to music and play your guitar. If you think its only about playing as fast as you can all the time and look like a stiff, unstylish dork, you would be wrong my friend.

lol that's one of the funniest things I've ever fuckin read. You've got to be
kidding me. Aren't you the one that said Alexi improvs a lot? Ya know some people actually think solo's don't come from the heart if they are composed. Not me. I happen to like a little of both. Some people suck at improv, some suck at composition , and then some just suck.
Old 2005-04-18, 18:58
New Blood

Quote:

Fuck Improv

haha I like that you said unstylish. Yeah, I like how Alexi wears makeup and paints his fingernails, what a fuckin homo
Old 2005-04-18, 18:58
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Tulvox Send a message via MSN to Tulvox
Alexi Laiho is a punk skating douchebag. What has Alexi ever done? Be all cocky because he overcame suicide? Bullshit I say. John Petrucci is a much more accomplished guitar player. Petrucci aslo posseses composition skills. I'm sure if we were to put these two in a room Alexi would get his ass handed to him, bad. There is no emotion in Children of Bodom riffs either. It's just recycled trash. Over and over. It's like metal emo. Which is an oxymoron. Which goes to show how bad Children of Bodom really is. So what you can run around on stage and hit wrong notes? Any punk can do that. Really. Need proof? Go to your nearest Green Day concert.

www.maddox.xmission.com
Old 2005-04-18, 19:12
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox
Be all cocky because he overcame suicide? .

Good god I HATE that. I didnt know that he did until now.
Old 2005-04-18, 19:14
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

Fuck Improv
If you improv a solo, it doesnt come from the heart because your not actually composing anything. Its just random noise.

That makes no sense at all. Improvising is where most great riffs, songs, and solos are born. Composing generally results in music that is gay and stale.

To answer the original question of the thread, Alex whoever the fuck he is probably thinks he is the shit. Most successful guitarists think that even if they don't come out and say it. Malmsteen says it all the time and he's right.
Old 2005-04-18, 19:27
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
...unless youre the type that listens for musical skill instead of emotional impact. you either put on music to hear some tunes or to be impressed by technicality.

Ah fuck, thats what the Emo fags say!!! I always thought that technicality in metal over other musical genres is one of the things that make it so great!!! Shit this thread is getting me going I need a beer!
Old 2005-04-18, 19:42
Drugged Unholy

Quote:

Fuck Improv

uhh do you even know what improv is? Maybe for you it's hitting random notes becuase you don't know what the hell you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?
Old 2005-04-18, 19:49
Post-whore

improvising solo's are alot better than recorded one's
okay the wont be rememberd as much.
but it show's how good of a guitarist you are if you can improvise
of the top of your head in front of thousand's of people.
it show's imagination.
iron maiden's dave murray does it all the time and he's fuc**g
awesome.
Old 2005-04-18, 20:49
Post-whore

All you guys are gay....
Old 2005-04-18, 21:28
Post-whore

why's that
Old 2005-04-18, 21:29
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox
Alexi Laiho is a punk skating douchebag. What has Alexi ever done? Be all cocky because he overcame suicide? Bullshit I say. John Petrucci is a much more accomplished guitar player. Petrucci aslo posseses composition skills. I'm sure if we were to put these two in a room Alexi would get his ass handed to him, bad. There is no emotion in Children of Bodom riffs either. It's just recycled trash. Over and over. It's like metal emo. Which is an oxymoron. Which goes to show how bad Children of Bodom really is. So what you can run around on stage and hit wrong notes? Any punk can do that. Really. Need proof? Go to your nearest Green Day concert.

Punk? Yeah they sound really emo, i mean so much like emo they should go on the Warp Tour! I mean hell, they arent Metal at all, Emo is what they are, i mean who does Laiho think he is thinking highly of himself? People should have no self-esteem, especially over comming trying to kill themself, he should hate himself and just end his life. I mean if you listen to lets say Downfall and Warheart its like the same song, the same riffs, same drumming, just all the same. I mean a three year-old can do what Laiho does!
Old 2005-04-18, 21:31
Post-whore

Old 2005-04-18, 22:37
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DEAD
Improv isnt noit hitting random shit. It is taking what you know musicly and applying it ON SPOT. Hey guess what? MANY MANY MANY guitarists dontw rite out whole solos whne tehy record, they usualy come up with a begining and an ending and improv their ideas in the middle. Dimebag improved the solo Cemetary Gates one night when he came home drunk and used that first take for the album. Improv is a sign of talent.
Comforting silence