MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-04-03, 22:33
Supreme Metalhead

I've been playing for about 7months and I've and I'm being taught classical and learning shred on my own just yesterday after I put down my classical picked up my electric found a pick. I learned pinched harmonics the ones I found were on the 1st 5th 6th and 12th fret trying to find more so if anyone has any advice please give. As far as songs go a bunch of classical stuff I don't know the name of. I really haven't had time to learn a song I spend my time building strength skill and technique to learn a decent song and can sobody give me some exercises for building up chord switching speed.
Old 2005-04-03, 22:37
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to rapeandruin
about 2 years and 4months here...i suck balls at guitar and have absolutely no skills. Songs I've been playing currently...

Mastodon - March of the Fire Ants
At the Gates - Blinded by Fear
Old Man's Child - Black Seeds on Virgin Soil
Amon Amarth - Death in Fire
Iron Maiden - The Trooper
Old 2005-04-04, 01:00
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry If Its Been Done Before

I've Been Playing For 6 Months

About the same as you.
I got my Jackson half a year ago - Thats when I started to get serious about guitar.

Before that I would play on my acoustic occasionally, but never bothered to learn much.
Old 2005-04-04, 01:32
Senior Metalhead

started when I was 16, 30 now, so 14 years. And I still suck too.... Guitar playing is a never ending quest for knowledge it seems, the more you know the more questions are brought up. It never fucking ends.

As far as hardest songs, assuming you mean other peoples songs, I'd say Holy Wars is up there. But as someone else pointed out, after you know how to play it, it isn't really "hard" anymore. I have tons of my own material that I think is pretty easy, but other people have said it's "hard". Soooo, yeah.
Old 2005-04-04, 01:59
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubisXy
started when I was 16, 30 now, so 14 years. And I still suck too.... Guitar playing is a never ending quest for knowledge it seems, the more you know the more questions are brought up. It never fucking ends.

As far as hardest songs, assuming you mean other peoples songs, I'd say Holy Wars is up there. But as someone else pointed out, after you know how to play it, it isn't really "hard" anymore. I have tons of my own material that I think is pretty easy, but other people have said it's "hard". Soooo, yeah.

Yeah learning somthing new is hard because you've had no experience doing it but once you learn takes no effort to do anymore.
Old 2005-04-04, 02:13
Post-whore

I've been playing for 10 years. Since I was eight. Never had lessons though...
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+
Old 2005-04-04, 02:29
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
I've been playing for 10 years. Since I was eight. Never had lessons though...

My kid is 8, he's taking lessons and has been for the past 8 months. He's getting really good at tapping with a metronome, and palm muting powerchords with various picking patterns. If he keeps it up he'll be very good in 10 years, but unfortunately right now he thinks of it as work. Although he does have fun when he figures something out, it's cool when he plays Iron Man.
Old 2005-04-04, 03:29
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Cloaca Send a message via MSN to Cloaca Send a message via Yahoo to Cloaca
If he complains about guitar practise, beat the little bugger senseless. Physical intimidation by a psychotic parent is well known to be one of the best ways to motivate a child to shred.
Old 2005-04-04, 04:05
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca
If he complains about guitar practise, beat the little bugger senseless. Physical intimidation by a psychotic parent is well known to be one of the best ways to motivate a child to shred.

Agreed force your kid to play. when he's older he'll thank you for it. I'm 17 but when I was 8 up until 14 I was a dickhead way to smart for my own good. I regret when looking back that I did not listen to my parents and stick with music but it turned out for the best cause I was a little jerk if they had kept forcing me to play music I prolly would not be playing the guitar today. Anyway these are the days where you mold and form your kids don't let him stop do what you have to turn him into a good musician and when he is older if he still doesn't like it then music you know to leave him alone then.
Old 2005-04-04, 04:06
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca

Good plan, next time he bitches I'll get out the rubber hose.
Old 2005-04-04, 04:37
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

about 10 or more years. I didn't get real good until like 1 1/2 years ago though. So that's like 8 years that don't even count....
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2005-04-04, 10:00
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to damonta
22 years, started on Christmas a month befor 13, now 35. It took me about 8 years befor I got good to.
Old 2005-04-04, 10:44
Senior Metalhead

HEy Iīve been playing guitar for around 10 years I think, but I started in "extreme" metal 2 or 3 years ago. I do the best in this 2 or 3 years.

I can play "Blind Agony: (in)culture" the solo included.

Donīt like a lot playing other peoples stuff. I prefer mine.
Old 2005-04-04, 17:03
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Cattlefan#1
only about 3 years. like that one dude said, once you know how to play something its not very hard anymore, but i guess the coolest song i like to play is Pierced From Within by Suffocation

A live one trapped underneath.
Old 2005-04-04, 17:11
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to active corpse fucker
Been playing for about 5 and half years. I am self taught as couldn't afford lessons. I stopped playing electric guitar halfway through and spent about a year learning classical and bass guitar. I am awful at it - i can do all the techniques to some ability apart from sweep picking which i just find mind blowing at the moment. I don't generally play full songs - just riffs i like and solo's i dig. Can play some bodom stuff, most of arch enemy, trying to learn some Belphegor which is being a real bitch.
Old 2005-04-04, 17:13
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubisXy
My kid is 8, he's taking lessons and has been for the past 8 months. He's getting really good at tapping with a metronome, and palm muting powerchords with various picking patterns. If he keeps it up he'll be very good in 10 years, but unfortunately right now he thinks of it as work. Although he does have fun when he figures something out, it's cool when he plays Iron Man.

Just don't scare him away from metal. My mom forced me to play classical piano for three years, so my rebellion was obviously self-teaching myself guitar and listening to extreme music. Now I kind of wish I could play jazz piano like Chevy Chase does as a party amusement... Maybe I'll pick that up in ten years or so.
Old 2005-04-04, 18:17
Drugged Unholy

I'm coming up on 4 years now. Dunno what i consider the hardest thing i play. I play suffocation and cryptopsy, but i don't see a lot of it as that hard. Well the solos are because that's where i need a lot of work. the hardest solo i can play is probably Testament's First Strike is Deadly, and that's not even that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?
Old 2005-04-04, 22:02
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylito

Just don't scare him away from metal. My mom forced me to play classical piano for three years, so my rebellion was obviously self-teaching myself guitar and listening to extreme music. Now I kind of wish I could play jazz piano like Chevy Chase does as a party amusement... Maybe I'll pick that up in ten years or so.

I couldn't scare him away from metal if I tried. I've taken him to Death Metal concerts, little bugger throwing devil horns and headbanging away. He's seen Vehemence, Morbid Angel and Soulfly, and hopefully he'll be going to Ozfest this year to see Arch Enemy and others. He loves Children of Bodem, and him and his little buds are already talking about starting a band. Only problem is practicing is work, but he's getting good. He's learning how to arpeggiate chords and tapping now, so he's getting a good start.

I did start him on Classical too, to teach him to site read and just because it's a solid foundation, especially for metal.
Old 2005-04-05, 09:04
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to active corpse fucker
maybe you should go into teaching
looks like you got yourself a little player in the making there!
Old 2005-04-05, 09:09
Post-whore
Banned

this is my 6th year, and the hardest i can play is "the colour of sleep" or "skin coffin" by psycroptic.