Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2003-03-29, 22:32
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Bones98
Budget Jackson Have; Seymour Duncan Pickups or EMG Hz's
Budget Ibanez Have; Stock Pickups (some are good, but most suck)

High End JAckson Have; Powered EMG Pickups, Seymour Duncan Pickups,
and Powered Livewire SD pickups
High END Ibeanez have; Stock pickups & Di marzio pickups
Old 2003-03-30, 05:53
Senior Metalhead

id suggest u do some research for urself before u go buy one
Old 2003-03-30, 12:18
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Bones98
Budget Jackson Have; Seymour Duncan Pickups or EMG Hz's
Budget Ibanez Have; Stock Pickups (some are good, but most suck)

High End JAckson Have; Powered EMG Pickups, Seymour Duncan Pickups,
and Powered Livewire SD pickups
High END Ibeanez have; Stock pickups & Di marzio pickups

note: the Budget Jackson's Seymour Duncans are the duncan-designed shit, not the JB/Jazz/59 type...

Also, in terms of bridges, Ibanez redone their lineups, and have dropped the old TRS (POS) bridge, and have replaced it with the Edge Pro...

Both have thier positives and negatives, but IMO, pickups are much easier to change than a bridge.
I don't care where it goes
And it don't matter if you're straight or gay
You should fuck yourself anyway
Now, you don't have to listen to a word I say
But I know you, you'll be humpin' away
Old 2003-03-30, 15:42
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

besides pickups, what are other contrasts?
Old 2003-04-24, 01:10
Supreme Metalhead

re

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Arioch
Ibanez 's cool for bass but not really for guitar

I don't know the health of your Jackson but mine is in bad &
I'm trying to make her feel better

If you've played for a long time with you just can't throw her away
She doesn't deserve that

Pay some attention and respect to your instrument

The RG270 Ibanez is quite a cool guitar, but i should never change it for a jackson guitar.

Stealths and the PS-series are cool!

Join the hordes!!

Last edited by atifman : 2003-05-04 at 16:50.
Old 2003-04-25, 04:10
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by atifman
besides pickups, what are other contrasts?

well the bridge but thats allready been mentioned, high range ibanez's have Wizzard necks, which are really thin and have great acces to the higher frets (the neck feels better then regular guitars above the 12th fret)
Jacksons have nice necks too, but I liked the ibanez's better (I only played a american Dinky though)

however, I think the paint on ibanez guitars is CRAP, our guitarist owns one and the guitarist in my other band has an ibanez too, but he doesn't like it much. the paint chips of way to easily, having a hardcase helps but still if you just hit the guitar against something, the paint chips off...

Well Looks... I prefer most of the Jacksons, wicked headstocks and stuff, but Ibanez's are really cool too... only the RG series though, but that's the way to go if you're going to buy an ibanez anyways. The 's' series feels too light and has not got a great ammount of sustain (the non-prestiges I might add.) I like the sharp edged RG series a lot....

Jacksons, well if you have enough money to spend, get an american jackson, they're pretty awsome... I think they beat the Ibanez prestiges due too the active EMG's

by the way, duncan designed pickups AND EMG-hz's pretty much suck, they sound like shit compared to real seymour duncans or emg 81's.

On the other hand, looking at the el-cheapo models, Ibanez has more trump cards, I don't consider their own made pickups 'crappy', compared to the duncan designed, I think they even outclass them, but thats a matter of personal taste, looks aren't much different then the expensive models but the trems and neck are different.
I think the cheaper Jackson range is just a tad to expensive for what they are, the american pro series etc, are definetly worth their money.
Or you could just buy a cheaper Jackson and get real EMG's for it and a proper floyd.
Old 2003-04-25, 06:52
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Def
well the bridge but thats allready been mentioned, high range ibanez's have Wizzard necks, which are really thin and have great acces to the higher frets (the neck feels better then regular guitars above the 12th fret)
Jacksons have nice necks too, but I liked the ibanez's better (I only played a american Dinky though) Note: they also have the All-Access Neck Joint, (higher fret access)

however, I think the paint on ibanez guitars is CRAP, our guitarist owns one and the guitarist in my other band has an ibanez too, but he doesn't like it much. the paint chips of way to easily, having a hardcase helps but still if you just hit the guitar against something, the paint chips off... I've got an RG520, and I've never had this problem. I don't know how common this problem is. Just out of curiosity, Def, what model was it?

Well Looks... I prefer most of the Jacksons, wicked headstocks and stuff, but Ibanez's are really cool too... only the RG series though, but that's the way to go if you're going to buy an ibanez anyways. The 's' series feels too light and has not got a great ammount of sustain (the non-prestiges I might add.) I like the sharp edged RG series a lot....

Jacksons, well if you have enough money to spend, get an american jackson, they're pretty awsome... I think they beat the Ibanez prestiges due too the active EMG's

by the way, duncan designed pickups AND EMG-hz's pretty much suck, they sound like shit compared to real seymour duncans or emg 81's. To each his own.... I'd take Dimarzio, but whatever floats yer boat. EMGs are produced at higher quality than IBZ pickups, though, I will say that.

On the other hand, looking at the el-cheapo models, Ibanez has more trump cards, I don't consider their own made pickups 'crappy', compared to the duncan designed, I think they even outclass them, but thats a matter of personal taste, looks aren't much different then the expensive models but the trems and neck are different.
I think the cheaper Jackson range is just a tad to expensive for what they are, the american pro series etc, are definetly worth their money.
Or you could just buy a cheaper Jackson and get real EMG's for it and a proper floyd.

I agree. I'd say find whatever neck you like, find a low-end model, and mod it from there

Last edited by atifman : 2003-05-04 at 16:52.
Old 2003-04-27, 08:51
New Blood

well , what do u think is the best jackson model ?
i so far tried the kelly standard , and didnt like it much ......
Old 2003-04-27, 12:34
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I like the randy rhoads and the dinky models.

to mechanicalraper:

the ibanez model with the bad paint was an RG too, an RG7620 and RG3120, I dunno they both had the problem... I heard more stories about it, maybe they fixed it now, but the RG3120 was pretty new, the guy who owned it was really pissed off about it (he should be, they're not cheap...)

About the pickups, yeah, its a matter of taste, I like EMG's a lot because they sound really tight, ofcourse DiMarzio's are nice too, but I don't like their sound too much.l
And Yeah, IBZ pickups suck compared to EMG's, but not compared to EMG-hz's.. I don't know if they come from the same factory, I seriously doubt it though.
the HZ's do not sound like the real emg's at all, real EMG's sound WAY better...
Old 2003-04-27, 14:24
Senior Metalhead

That's news to me, Def....

And I'd definately take IBZs over Duncan Designed or HZs...
Old 2003-04-28, 02:04
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by MechanicalRaper
That's news to me, Def....

the paint thing? well, I dunno if you do a lot of gigs, but I can tell you this, if you're doing a lot of gigs or are doing a lot of gigs in the future, buy a case or your ibanez will be ruined in no time....
I don't know it was a problem they fixed now, but the guy with the RG3120 bought his guitar this year, so I don't think its fixed...
I have to admit, we're pretty rough when it comes to gear though, and we need to drag it along around the country, so that could explain a lot... if you just use your guitar at home or don't do a lot of gigs/transporting, the chances are that you won't damage your guitar that fast.

and ehm, just wonder but that thread starter, icarus or something, is he around? lol we're having a nice discussion and all but eh...
Old 2003-05-04, 03:01
New Blood

Has any one got an Iceman what are they like compared to jacksons of similar price???

Jackson RAndy Rhodes is the gtod of guitars (apart from my Maverick)
Old 2003-05-04, 08:31
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via ICQ to G_urr_A
Uhm, a question that is only a bit related to the topic.
Most of you guys seem to have tried a lot of models of both Jacksons and Ibanezs. Do music shops where you live have these guitars in the shop at all times, or have you like asked the shop to get one so you could try it?
The music shop closest to me (40km.... ) does keep some Ibanez models, but I've only twice seen Jacksons in there, and they were used.
Old 2003-05-04, 08:42
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Most shops here have loads of Ibanez's in store, prestige models too, which are neat.
Jackson can't be found everywhere here, but I only go to big music shops.... if they don't have them in store, they probably won't order them if you just want to try them and you're not sure if you're going to buy it or not.
Old 2003-05-04, 10:35
Senior Metalhead

The GC out here stocks equal models of each. What sucks is that 99% of the guitars have the bridges blocked (once I managed to find a Kelly with an unblocked bridge , but they try to block 'em all). The other stores are kind of hit or miss.
Old 2003-05-04, 10:37
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Def
the paint thing? well, I dunno if you do a lot of gigs, but I can tell you this, if you're doing a lot of gigs or are doing a lot of gigs in the future, buy a case or your ibanez will be ruined in no time....
I don't know it was a problem they fixed now, but the guy with the RG3120 bought his guitar this year, so I don't think its fixed...
I have to admit, we're pretty rough when it comes to gear though, and we need to drag it along around the country, so that could explain a lot... if you just use your guitar at home or don't do a lot of gigs/transporting, the chances are that you won't damage your guitar that fast.

and ehm, just wonder but that thread starter, icarus or something, is he around? lol we're having a nice discussion and all but eh...

Yeah, I've done some gigging (not too heavily), and yes, I use a hardshell case.
Old 2003-05-04, 11:06
Supreme Metalhead

Unfair Cause I really like what I've seen from Jackson so far, but the shop wont order anything if I'm not 90% sure I'll buy it. ( And I'd love to try an RR3 or something.
Old 2003-05-04, 12:02
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by MechanicalRaper
Yeah, I've done some gigging (not too heavily), and yes, I use a hardshell case.

ah that explains, using a case really reduces the damago on paintjobs, our guitarist didn't have on when he just bought it, his RG didn't fit into his case. in that short period his Ibanez has lost pieces of paint and has bumps and stuff, it really sucks, but he has a case now... that does the trick..

but if you don't have a case, you'll have to take serious care, Ibanez's seem to have a shitty paintjob....

maybe you guys should visit big-ass guitar shops, I bet america has them there too. I went to Musik Productiv last week, they claim to be the worlds biggest music store they had pretty much everything, tried out a few RR models and a Dinky with a dimebucker and another seymour duncan pickup.. neat shit.. Jackson is the shit when it comes to guitar, I like the high range jacksons a lot.
the RR models suck if you're trying to play sitting, lol, I like the dinky's body shape, but the RR with emg's has a great sound!
Old 2003-05-04, 12:50
Supreme Metalhead

The problem is that I live in Sweden, which is pretty much dead when it comes to music shops. And I don't live in or near a big city either (40km to closest bigger city, about 120.000 ppl I think (to put that to some type of scale I can say that Sweden has a population of 9 millions, of which 1 million live in our capital (Stockholm))).
Old 2003-05-04, 18:08
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Bones98
I'm getting a second hand JAckson CG-37.....It kicks ass!!!