MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2005-03-26, 04:09
crispykid
Senior Metalhead

new to theory

im new to theory id like to get into it for soloing purposes but i have no clue about anything i know some scales but thats it. ive always been into my riffing but now im getting more into solos. any sites, books, or help you guys can give to me about theory from step one. i got the skills to play msot scales im just confused about all of it.

Old 2005-03-26, 11:27
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

Old 2005-03-26, 15:22
guitar_demon
MotörCat

that is a good start andy, but it doesnt seem like hes to interested into learning to read sheet music ( i suggest it though

what exactly confuses you though?
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2005-03-26, 15:53
crispykid
Senior Metalhead

all the different keys, moveable patterns cofuse the shit out of me. like i said i know a few scales but nothing beyond that. is there any kind of books or anything or any sites that would help or even on here?

Old 2005-03-26, 16:10
guitar_demon
MotörCat

the scale keys confuse you? like A major and Bb scales...

Old 2005-03-26, 16:29
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

youre not going to be able to shred out solos over night...just practice scales slowly

Old 2005-03-26, 20:01
guitardid
New Blood

Cool solos

conect the dots

Old 2005-03-27, 03:43
crispykid
Senior Metalhead

i know how to read the fuckin' tabs for scales and can play all the ones i know, but when someone says to move it down the neck were do you go im lost what i mean. maybe i need a theory for dummies book sounds good i wish they had it. im lost and confused.

Old 2005-03-27, 03:46
guitar_demon
MotörCat

well to move it down the neck you can either
move the shapes you know up to the next octave
or
find where the notes would be else where and get creative like open A string is an A so is 4th fret low E and so is 7th fret D string

Old 2005-03-27, 07:25
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

I recently started theory as well...

If you mean you have trouble with connecting the different modes of one scale, then you might start out with the minor pentatonic... 5 modes and not too much notes, you'll probably learn it pretty fast. Once you start seeing the modes as one big unity, you can improvise and stuff... Then move on to more complicated scales.

http://www.theorylessons.com/pentpos.html
Good example for learning... If this is what you are looking for?

Last edited by Exodus666 : 2005-03-27 at 07:29.

Old 2005-03-30, 00:27
crispykid
Senior Metalhead

that site owns thanks alot

Old 2005-04-15, 20:13
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispykid
... maybe i need a theory for dummies book sounds good i wish they had it. im lost and confused.

Check this out I'm gonna get it along with a couple of others because i really want to get some music theory behind me

Old 2005-04-15, 21:05
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

No problem man.

Old 2005-04-16, 05:23
amerok
Senior Metalhead

dont let some of the wankers on this forum confuse you, theory can be much easier if its explained in the right way. pick up a beginners thoery book, anyone. even if you know some of it already make sure you get down the basics so it doesnt fuck you over later on

Old 2005-05-05, 08:30
DamageFan6984
Senior Metalhead

Learn your root shapes first. It'll be a million times easier.

Old 2005-05-09, 13:28
HatecrewESP
Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
im new to theory id like to get into it for soloing purposes but i have no clue about anything i know some scales but thats it. ive always been into my riffing but now im getting more into solos. any sites, books, or help you guys can give to me about theory from step one. i got the skills to play msot scales im just confused about all of it.

thats exackly whats goin one for me too

Old 2005-05-09, 13:52
tchambliss
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatecrewESP
thats exackly whats goin one for me too

I pity you because apparently you are going to get very discouraged being an Alexi Laiho fan and all. He's very talented(equally as unconventional). Don't let it get you down though. I've done a few lessons and I'll do something over the Cage system of visualizing the neck regardless of if it will help or not, but it should. Being discouraged you feel like you won't get any better or as though you'll never be good enough. I've been there, I think everyone does go there at least a few times. Also anytime they hear anyone that just blows them away musically. Anyways, later.

Old 2005-05-09, 21:38
Tone Surfer
New Blood

Quote:

Agreed .Thanks for the link Exodus.

Old 2005-05-18, 22:05
Rattler
Metalhead

Quote:
all the different keys, moveable patterns cofuse the shit out of me. like i said i know a few scales but nothing beyond that. is there any kind of books or anything or any sites that would help or even on here?

yeah, there is a thrash lead guitar book out with a CD that looks quite helpful, there are tons of books out there, google it.

Old 2005-05-18, 22:46
amerok
Senior Metalhead

if any of you have questions feel free to ask. heh, this music theory section could use it.

Old 2005-05-19, 10:48
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Surfer
Agreed .Thanks for the link Exodus.

goddamn , åkerfeldt is one ugly dude. that is a hideous avatar.

Old 2005-06-08, 10:49
Banishment
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
well to move it down the neck you can either
move the shapes you know up to the next octave
or
find where the notes would be else where and get creative like open A string is an A so is 4th fret low E and so is 7th fret D string

dude, you mean 5th fret low E right?

Old 2005-06-13, 23:48
DRI
Metalhead

MY Theory Basics

As far as I'm concerned the most important thing to know for starting out on soloing and theory and improvising and shit is the minor modes and their moveable patterns. It's retarded to learn a million seperate keys like A minor, B minor, G major, D locrian and so on and which notes go in them when you can just treat them as one scale with variable strating points.
For each scale there is a set pattern of half steps (1 fret) and whole steps (2 frets). Just pick your starting note and go up the scale once or twice to figure out which notes you can use in the scale. Then you can change your key by just moving that same pattern up the neck to a different staring point. For example, most of us know the E minor scale, since that's what most thrash songs are in:
------------e
------------B
------------G
0---2-------D or, going straight up the neck: 0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12
0---2---3---A
0---2---3---E
This is your E natural minor scale, now if you want say, A minor, just move up your tonic (the starting note) 5 frets to A and pretend that fret 5 is your open string. So you get:
------------e
------------B
------------G
5---7-------D or 5-7-8-10-12-13-15-17
5---7---8---A
5---7---8---E
Nothing more to it then that. This is alot easier then learning every key individually. Even if you find moveable patterns confusing this is THE easiest way to learn keys. Just practice it awhile and try out different staring points. And once you have played around with any given scale/key using this method for a while you'll know it's notes anyway just like you would if you had memorized it and it's key signature to start off.

Old 2005-06-13, 23:49
DRI
Metalhead

My basic theory, continued

That having been said the most important scales/patterns to learn are
Natural Minor: You use as your standard scale in most songs, it's basically an extended petatonic scale, if you know that. If you don't know the petatonic scale, just learn the natural minor. They serve the same purpose but the minor scale is more expressive.
0---2--------D
0---2---3----A or 0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12
0---2---3----E
Harmonic Minor: Used in neo-classical, and of course, regular classical music alot. It's essentially the natural minor with 1 changed note that leads into the tonic again really well. In practical use you rarely use this scale for a whole song, you just occasionally change out the one different note occasionally with it's natural minor counterpart when you want that anticipatory, "leading" effect.
1---2------D the leading tone is the 1 in this line
0---2---3--A or 0-2-3-5-7-8-11-12
0---2---3--E
Phrygian: Commonly used in flamenco and metal. It's, again, natural minor, with one changed note.
0---2------D
0---2---3--A
0---1---3--E
Locrian: Really cool for heavy "chug-chug" palm-mutted riffing, but hard to solo with. It sounds really weird. Slayer used it a fair amount. Listen to the Angel of Death solo, it's got some nice locrian runs. Metallica’s “Shortest Straw” is in this, so is a lot of death metal like dying fetus. It's the same as the Phrygian with one changed note:
0---2-------D
0---1---3---A or 0-1-3-5-6-8-10-12
0---1---3---E

And again, any of these scales can be moved anywhere on the fret board so just play around with them. Start out with natural minor and work your way down.

I hope this helps someone. If it's confusing at all, sorry, just ask any questions.

Old 2005-06-15, 23:39
crispykid
Senior Metalhead

maybe if i read it 5 times then it'll sink in