MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2005-03-19, 05:55
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Drop D Tuning

I haven't really tuned my guitar much, can someone explain what drop d actually is? Do I tune my lowest string to D? I use a KORG GA-30 guitar/bass tuner. I know it lists frequencies 430, 440, and 450, with 440 seeming to be standard. Is the 430 drop-d, or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By Monkeys
That's insulting. They can make sandwiches and iron clothes. You should be ashamed.

Old 2005-03-19, 06:09
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
I haven't really tuned my guitar much, can someone explain what drop d actually is? Do I tune my lowest string to D? I use a KORG GA-30 guitar/bass tuner. I know it lists frequencies 430, 440, and 450, with 440 seeming to be standard. Is the 430 drop-d, or what?

Low string to D, yes.

(I'm not sure how long you've been playing, but the third string from low E is D, so tune the low E to that)

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.

Old 2005-03-19, 06:19
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Ok, this might sound silly, but I thought drop d was lower than normal? Guitar strings go (lowest to highest) EADGBe? So wouldn't tuning the E to D make the guitar higher pitched? Sorry, I'm new to this whole tuning thing, though I've been playing since Christmas (I just tune every string to 430 on the korg and it sounds great to me).
Quote:
That's insulting. They can make sandwiches and iron clothes. You should be ashamed.

Old 2005-03-19, 08:22
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Ok, this might sound silly, but I thought drop d was lower than normal? Guitar strings go (lowest to highest) EADGBe? So wouldn't tuning the E to D make the guitar higher pitched?

No, dropping to D makes the string lower pitched than standard since to drop to D you have to 'go back' a whole tone. 440MH on your tuner is concert pitch and is what the whole of an orchestra would tune to. I'd ignore this and get a chromatic tuner that will tell you what note you are tuning to.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-03-19, 13:03
amerok
Senior Metalhead

remember, the E string goes E, F, G and so on as you go up the neck, so tuning the E down would give you D

Old 2005-03-19, 13:08
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

hence, the low string would now go D, E, F, G etc

Old 2005-03-19, 15:40
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

My tuner tells you both the note and the frequency. But 1 string down (7th string) it says is G. Sorry if I'm annoying, but this just isn't making sense to me.
Quote:

Old 2005-03-19, 15:41
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

you guys have gotta tell him about sharpes and flats too, or else your really going to confuse him. hes going to play the second fret now everytime he sees a g note.
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2005-04-02, 03:41
Zertonshfits
Post-whore

Quote:
My tuner tells you both the note and the frequency. But 1 string down (7th string) it says is G. Sorry if I'm annoying, but this just isn't making sense to me.

if you have a 7 string you dont really need to drop the E to D...
ok look at your tuner... turn the low E's tuning peg LOWER untill the E turns to D... then you are in drop D, standerd with the low E changed to a lower D note.

A full explanation of drop D would be:
drop D is basically the easy way out of tuning to 1 step down from standerd, instead of tuning ALL the string you just tune the low E string to D and play a bar chord on the 5th and 6th strings instead of a full power chord on the same strings. its faster and easyer IMO than tuning all the strings and using power chords.

and to explain sharps and flats:
a FLAT note is a note half a step down (ie: E to Eb)(Eb meaning E flat)
a sharp note is the oposite, a note a half step higher (E to E#) (E# meaning E sharp)
some notes mean the same thing, if you take a low note and make it sharp, or if you make a note 1 step higher and make it flat,its the same thing (ie: D# and Eb are the same note)

if all this is confusing, get a teacher or a pro to explain it.

this is my biggest post ever

NECROTIC
Canadian Brutal Death (So you know it's good)

Last edited by Zertonshfits : 2005-04-02 at 03:48.

Old 2005-04-02, 18:48
Of_Melancholy_Burnin
Metalhead

Shouldnt someone make a sticky thread about tuning, because there is at least 2 on page 2, it would save people starting new ones everytime.