MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-05-06, 21:32
Senior Metalhead

Well, Crosstalk isn't really the problem. There is one reason, and one reason only, for why I want to trigger my snare. (Gravity rolls).
So I find that I have to crank the gain to give the lighter hits a good volume, but the roll is so fuckin fast that the trigger is missing a lot of hits. I know that some of the pros trigger their snares successfully, but try finding one to ask about it! Most of those guys don't like talking about it either, because of the stigma that is attached to triggers.
Anyway, if you have experience, feel free to gimmie suggestions for settings that will be a good decay rate without missing snare shots, as well as providing enough volume....
(Geez, I don't ask for too much, eh?)
My friggin Axis Ekit triggers haven't arrived yet....
Old 2005-05-06, 21:55
Noob lud

Snare triggers are for pussies.
Well unless you have a really shitty drum set and dont want to buy a good one. But that ruins the point of drumming.
Old 2005-05-06, 22:46
New Blood

Hello all...
I am new to this forum. I've been playing for many years, and am hearing more and more bands come out with extremely fast double bass. I have a question for you veteran double bassers. Are these guys using specific "methods", such as heel-toe? I do not use any such method, but I've never actually clocked my DB. Are these guys using these tricks/methods, or straight up double bass? Anyway, good forum, and thanks in advance for any responses.

Septic
Old 2005-05-07, 03:32
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
Snare triggers are for pussies.

This is my point (for homework, everybody go back and read my first post). Does using a compressor or noise gate make a guitarist a pussy? In my eyes no, because they even out the output and cut out unwanted feedback respectively and thus give a better listening experience to the listener. Same with triggers.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Old 2005-05-07, 19:58
Senior Metalhead

totaly man the thing with the snare is, for one handed rolling shit i mysellf havnt figures it out, if you crank it up to much you can ge the rolls good but you cant even breath on your snare without it going off. thats why i made my drummer stop triggering the snare. but yea you can get it perfect for regular snare work, and regular rolls but as soon as you try doing a damn gravity blast it sucks ass, and my drummer is just better off doing a roll on his natural snare sound, somehow its loud enough to hear too. but i cant realy help you on the gravity rolls area sorry man.
Old 2005-05-10, 07:47
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to HELLBLASTER-666
I don't think using triggers is cheating(though I don't know much about
drums),but I don't like listening to triggered drums(usually they
sound fake).
Natural drums sound much better and heavier.

Old 2005-05-10, 08:25
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by septic
Hello all...
I am new to this forum. I've been playing for many years, and am hearing more and more bands come out with extremely fast double bass. I have a question for you veteran double bassers. Are these guys using specific "methods", such as heel-toe? I do not use any such method, but I've never actually clocked my DB. Are these guys using these tricks/methods, or straight up double bass? Anyway, good forum, and thanks in advance for any responses.

Septic

I don`t think that many drummers are using tricks like the heel toe technique.
The most of them are just playing straight singles.
It`s just a "mix" of ankle and leg motion. just training.

the trigger thing.
I think the discussion about triggers is unnecessary because if someone wants to trigger his set, why not?
And if someone cant get his gravity`s loud enough why aint trigger the snare. (well, I thought about it too, because my gravity isnt loud enough. but I cant play it tight enough, so it isnt worth)
Whatever, triggering is definately NOT CHEATING!!!
Because it wont make you faster it just makes it easier to play fast DB or else CLEAN and its easier to get two same sounds out of your bassdrum.
(That`s what Im trying since a while )
Old 2005-07-06, 01:22
Post-whore

my roomate just set up a drumset thats triggered in the jamroom, entire kit including the hihat, im gonna try these puppies out and see if it confirms my disdain for such things............
Old 2005-07-13, 05:10
Metalhead

I think a good drummer can still be able to play with even volume without triggers. Triggers plays a big role when you doublebass at high bpm, 180/200+
It's real hard/impossible to keep even volume at those speeds.

And when it comes to talks about Necrophagist not triggering etc.
It's all quantization and studiomagic, I doubt Hannes would play live without triggers, and I beg him not to, it would just sound shit when you wont be able to tell a note from another. Triggering helps to that.

That's my opinion on all this, I might not be right on everything (or anything at all)

* Oh, triggers are not cheating at all!

Last edited by Midwinter-Gates : 2005-07-13 at 05:17.
Old 2005-07-13, 15:19
Post-whore

i bet you necrophagist go on the road with thier own sound system , dont know it as a fact but thats what dillinger escape plan does<and probably alot of bands that arent at the arena level>and they<as in dillinger> set thier shit up even tho there is a sound system present at whatever gig. if they tour with a state of the art mic setup,PA etc. for the drums and overall amplification, theres no need to trigger them. they probably have a soundman who travels with them too. this is all assumption but it could be done. bringing triggers to shows, is a way to have a reliable bass sound with the uncertainty of what PA setup your going to encounter while playing out, i almost done blame drummers for doing this anymore since soundmen are such hacks. but overall i believe in playing loud enough to be heard at normal gigs, like clubs and bars and such, just set up in front of the stage and dont even deal with the guy<some asshat soundmen then object and try to get you miked on a the stage, then you agree.......then you get totally drown the fuck out and you have no moniters to hear the guitars......i hate fuggin soundmen> thats where im at. but if your playing a show with over 400 head capacity you need to be miked, hence the trigger and the debate about them, which ive kinda eased up on
Old 2005-07-14, 14:51
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwinter-Gates
I think a good drummer can still be able to play with even volume without triggers. Triggers plays a big role when you doublebass at high bpm, 180/200+
It's real hard/impossible to keep even volume at those speeds.

And when it comes to talks about Necrophagist not triggering etc.
It's all quantization and studiomagic, I doubt Hannes would play live without triggers, and I beg him not to, it would just sound shit when you wont be able to tell a note from another. Triggering helps to that.

That's my opinion on all this, I might not be right on everything (or anything at all)

* Oh, triggers are not cheating at all!

You're right. Drummers use triggers in order to keep each bass stroke sounding consistently powerful at extremely high speeds.

People who have a problem with it- too fucking bad.
Almost every drummer you wish you could be like uses triggers.
Tyson Jupin (Vile)
KC Howard (Decrepit birth/Odious Mortem)
James King (Origin)
Flo Mournier (Crptopsy)
Mike Hamilton (Deeds of Flesh)
Roddy (Hate Eternal)
Jon Longstreth (Who knows...)
Those are just a FEW examples.
Nowadays Triggers are an industry standard in Death metal/Grind, and you don't need to be playing a large venue or have a large crowd to use them.
I personally don't leave home without them, and now that I have been using the most kick-ass triggering setup in the world, I will never go back.
All naysayers should try before passing "judgement".....
Old 2005-07-22, 16:42
Senior Metalhead

yes i notice...all these people who hate triggering have never tried it, ha ha ha. and it pisses me off when people see my band play live and ask if my drummer is realy playing double bass that fast...then they ask the stupidest questions like these " does your drummer trigger?" "yes he does" so he uses that trigger thing to make his double bass faster?; thats lame" then i have to explain what triggers actualy do... also they say" well i was watching his legs and it didnt look like he was going that fast" and i say "its called heel toe dick" ha ha that was funny ...... john longstreath(who knows?) were is that guy? h a ha
Old 2005-07-22, 18:49
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to TheLeviathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARFETUS
"its called heel toe dick"

He uses his dick?
Old 2005-07-22, 20:02
Senior Metalhead

ha ha ha yea...... i meant "heel toe.... dick"