Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2005-02-01, 14:20
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Well, I re-read his post and I still get the impression that he was talking about physically placing a mic on a stand in front of the guitar. Maybe Mr. Fetus can clear this up.

Deadhead Roses - Zastruga
Old 2005-02-01, 14:48
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
john, if you read guitarfetuses post more carefully you'd see he mentioned that an acoustic pickup is more like a mike than a pickup<pickup the vibration or "guitar signal">, which is true, i have a plug in acoustic, its basically a microphone inside the body,it picks up the sound that result from the vibration not just the vibration transfered as a signal. if an acoustic had an actual pickup like in a electric guitar it would be the most pointless thing this side of titanium plated cymbals, electric guitars are only intonated, they have no real resonent quality to them as to make a direct parrallel with a drumkit,this debate is going way too far into semantics, i apologize for initiating it

amoung us, i cant even begin to explain how bizzare the computer im using is, when i get on a myspace page the whole panel on the top right side does not appear, the whole play.stop,rewind, fastforward a song panel, i went to your site instead,sounds good. ok, i conceed the point, i dont know recording, im beginning to get a hi-fi digital recording setup myself, if triggers helps that, power to you, i'll never do it, hi-hat bleed be damned. i was more critical of triggers in live show situations anyway, thats what matters most in my ears

pretty much that is what i meant , thats what i was going for, i didnt know how else to explain what i meant without confusing myself, but yea that is pretty much what i meant, and the comment on how triggering makes you sound cleaner, that pretty much a lie, becouse your mistakes show even more, becouse of the clearness of the sounds, the triggered drums arent CLEANER but they are CLEARER
Old 2005-02-01, 14:57
Senior Metalhead

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=20050201115357 here you can try to hear my drummers mistakes on some of our songs, only the bassdrums are triggered, and it might be difficult to hear becouse of the shitty streaming thing, but turn it up a little bit, and you will hear some of his mistakes, all your mistakes show up with triggers. listen to "send me ur fetus" and "feasting upon the retarded" i think those are the ones with the most mistakes.
Old 2005-02-01, 18:26
Post-whore

well i just looked it up at musicians friend, and those pickups you place in an acoustic vary in range, so i guess its a stalemate. they use both aspects of miking and signal tansfer. the thing is is that they are not a electric guitar pickup, its a little of both. same with drum triggers i guess to complete the parrallel. so what you originally posted would make sense if you ignore the fact that there are drummers,unaided who can be heard over loud fullstacks as opposed to acoustic guitar players.

guitarfetus, id like to listen to your band but, im running an ancient mac from which the OS hasnt been rebooted in a good 8 years, its too wierd to explain, and i used to get the panel on the myspace page and could play songs, now i cant. so if you have another site that does quicktime, thats the only way i can hear it
Old 2005-02-01, 18:36
Senior Metalhead

do you have msn instant messanger, i could send them to you personaly.
Old 2005-02-02, 04:20
Post-whore

for some reason it loaded, i heard your band and could not distinguish any serious mess ups on the drummers basshits,double bass hits can tend to flam up and stuff, your drummer is probably a little self critical here, it sounds good,the mp3 thing makes it muddy and lo-fi, which is a recording sound i love. i always viewed the 2 bass triggers phenomenon as a why bother, kevlar and an oak head beaters sould suffice, thats what im gonna do when i can afford an all kevlar head drumset,kevlar doesnt exactly provide good tone but i own vistalites anyway, all older drumsets suck at tone, even the acrylic non aging shells of a vista lite, the heads last forever and the bass just needs a little patch for the oak head
Old 2005-02-05, 14:00
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Corpsevomit98
triggers just seem unnatural to me. Its not the fact that its "cheating" (i dont play the drums), if it makes it easier go for it, but if there was some way to make the sound natural I htink it would be best in my mind.
Old 2005-02-06, 10:48
Senior Metalhead

I think that depends on which module youre using...
I think Chimera is recorded with a triggered set, and it sounds very well.
Edit: I read yesterday, that it`s triggered and miced...(whole set).

Last edited by Lord.Worm : 2005-02-07 at 07:48.
Old 2005-02-07, 05:34
Senior Metalhead

how can triggers be cheating?
as far as i can see, all they do is to give you a controlable, clear sound.
i am guessing that objections to triggers are based on getting a clearer, more equal sound rather than the fact that you can put effects on them.
you could apply the same objections however to drumsticks, or pedals.
why not use your hands and feet? because drumsticks provide a clearer, louder

also, though i dont play drums, there is nothing you can do to disguise a bad guitarist. you can see the failed attempts, like buying the most expensive guitar, and putting on shitloads of muddy distortion, and turning up so loud it hurts (actually this works to an extent)
i would guess that te better drummers will always stand out even if they are using a chair leg to bang a skip. shakespear would have made a great sci-fi novelist, and yngwie maalmsteen probably would be the fastest penny-whistle player in the world.
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"
Old 2005-03-01, 21:06
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to rabbifoodslicer Send a message via MSN to rabbifoodslicer
i think the best sound would be to mix the triggers and the mic....so you get a full body sound and a more realistic tone to it.
Old 2005-03-27, 19:40
Senior Metalhead

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.
I am thinking about triggering my bass drum, because after 640 BPM I start to loose power.
I still intend to practice and get fuckin awsome and be able to go without triggers, but I'm toying with the idea.
I don't know shit about them, so what would I need to get?
I have a Peavey PA Head, a great mixing board..... Would I need to get a processor, or could I use this stuff I have?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2005-03-29, 13:16
Post-whore

640 bpm?

hmmm I think you are a little confused about what speed you are playing, 640 bpm would be approx twice as fast as the current world record,

unless you mean HITS in a minute, in which case say hits and not beats, because BPM means beats which is measured in crotchets (quarter notes for you merkins)
Old 2005-04-04, 17:00
Senior Metalhead

I just ordered my tirggers today.
Can't wait.
Old 2005-04-04, 18:21
Senior Metalhead

uh, yea, you need a drum module to use those triggers, i hope you have one, if not go for an alesis dm5 they are cool and cheaply priced, and can be found all over the place on ebay, and they are perfect if you are only going to trigger bass and maybe snare.
Old 2005-04-06, 21:25
Senior Metalhead

Yep, that's what I'm looking for, so keep your ears open for me.
I am looking on Ebay as well.
Old 2005-04-06, 22:45
Senior Metalhead

HAHA! I got one, fuckers!

I just won an Alesis DM5 off Ebay. My triggers are ordered, and, yes, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 2005-04-10, 23:02
Senior Metalhead

Hy GuitarFetus-

Your band's pretty heavy, for sure.
Old 2005-05-02, 21:50
Senior Metalhead

hey thanx late response sorry i havnt had internet for a while, yea my drummer got better since those songs.
Old 2005-05-03, 20:24
Senior Metalhead

So I have a DM5, as I stated above, and I bought some shitty acoustice triggers. I have some excellent Axis triggers on the way for my pedals, but they're not here yet. Anyways, I've been playing with the acoustice triggers, just trying them out, and I can't seem to get my snare to respond they way I want. If there is anyone out there that has experience with the Alesis DM5, let me know please.
Thanks
Old 2005-05-05, 23:25
Senior Metalhead

i have experience with it. its the only one i know actualy but yea, are you having trouble with the sensetivity or crosstalk or what? its tricky at first, i hate all of those settings but it pay off when you find the right ones.