MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2005-01-26, 10:11
Noob lud

Reign In Blood or Master Of Puppets

Which of these do you think had a greater influence on metal today? It is said by alot of people that these are the two greatest thrash albums of all time. Even if you dont agree with that, which do you think is more influential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.
Old 2005-01-26, 10:46
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to obrien20
Just look at your avatar and you'll see what is my choice!
Old 2005-01-26, 11:15
HES BAAACK

MoP is far and away more sophisticated and technical than reign in blood. reign has brute force and speed, but there was a lot more thought and work given to everything about MoP. lars isnt as good as lombrado, but other than that metallica is better than slayer on that album
Old 2005-01-26, 11:26
Post-whore

I Disagree.
Old 2005-01-26, 11:27
HES BAAACK

how

compare the song structure of damage, inc to angel of death
Old 2005-01-26, 11:29
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to SARS
reign in fucking blood.

isn't this goin' on somewhere else?
Old 2005-01-26, 11:31
Post-whore

i prefer not man, i just like Reign In Blood much more than i like Master Of Puppets, i don't care much about song structure and that shit, if you ask the maiority on that forum, they'll certantly say Angel Of Death.
Old 2005-01-26, 11:32
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARS
reign in fucking blood.

isn't this goin' on somewhere else?

I dunno, maybe not.
Old 2005-01-26, 11:39
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to ManOwaR
I like master of puppets more, not sure wich had more influence thoug...
Old 2005-01-26, 11:45
Senior Metalhead

Extreme Aggression!
Old 2005-01-26, 11:47
Noob lud

Shit, i thought i made this a poll...I think they are both great albums but i think reign had a greater influence on metal than master of puppets. Metallica had long song structures and Slayer had realy fast short songs. What do you mostly notice today, long songs and medium tempos, or fast short songs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.
Old 2005-01-26, 11:57
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to CannibalXampire
Reign In Blood. Of course. Duh. Like t0tally.
Old 2005-01-26, 12:06
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
MoP is far and away more sophisticated and technical than reign in blood. reign has brute force and speed, but there was a lot more thought and work given to everything about MoP. lars isnt as good as lombrado, but other than that metallica is better than slayer on that album

The technicality of Master of Puppets is quite overstated here. The only thing more complex about Master of Puppets is the song structure and most of the bass lines and fills. None of the riffs in MoP are more complex than the better riffs in RiB. The solos on RiB are better, not to say they are great, because they are just decent, but I really don't need to hear any of Kirk Hammett's overrated solos.

So which one is the better album? That's entirely a judgment call. I enjoy RiB more than I do MoP. I used to play them both constantly when I was in high school. Which one is more influential? I think that's pretty obvious. Metallica's influence on other bands of this period is largely overstated.

How many bands were strongly influenced by MoP? No, not how many bands list that as a favorite album in an interview, that means shit. How many were directly influenced by MoP? Name me every mid paced thrash metal band with strong song structures, good guitar work, great bass work, mediocre drumming, and lyrics focused on political and societal issues. Now, name me every speed obsessed thrash band with awesome riffs, mediocre solos, awesome drumming, practically non-existent bass, and lyrics focused on war, death, and the occult. It's pretty obvious to me which had the stronger influence.

One band I feel the need to bring up at this point is Possessed. They are not one of the more popular thrash bands, but their influence was very strong on early death metal and some thrash.
Old 2005-01-26, 17:16
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuNioj0369
I can't really make a choice as these are two albums I really enjoy. As far as influence goes, that's tough too. While Reign in Blood may have a much wider direct musical influence, Master of Puppets probably has equally indirect influence. Myself, for example, first got seriously into metal after I bought Master of Puppets, but nowadays, my writing is much more influenced by Slayer.

Chris said that MoP can really only claim technicality in the areas of bass and structure over RiB but I disagree. MoP is also far more technical in areas of harmonization and overall understanding of music theory (via the late Cliff Burton) as well.

I'd also like to take the time to point out that I find it annoying that all anyone fucks about is how overrated Hammett is. It wasn't so much his style that people like myself find great, but more his use and understanding of modes and diatonics found on Metallica's earlier records. I just find a comparison of Slayer and Hammett solos ridiculous. Slayer had great energy and speed when it came to their solos yet they have recycled the same chromatic patterns and whammy bar wankings for the majority of their soloing carreers. While Hammett's soloing may seem rather commonplace and nothing to write home about, he at least structured them a bit more and (on the earlier records) made quite frequent use of different modes within his solos and avoided repeating the same sequences for the entire record.

I also find the deeming of MoP's drumming mediocre to be a bit odd (this isn't directed at you Chris). Yeah, Lars probably can't hold up to Dave, but I don't think that he did anything blatantly mediocre on the album. Sometimes it seems that all people base the labeling on is the fact that Dave played faster and was a member of Slayer and that Lars wasn't playing as fast and didn't play fast throughout the entirity of the song.

Well, that's my two cents.

I guess I should point out that what I wrote above isn't directed at any one person and no one should take anything I wrote personally. This is just an album/band/topic I am very passionate about and I just feel I needed to put my thoughts out there in defense of this album. So whichever album you may pick over the other one its all cool, just as long as you made that choice on your own and didn't let anyone's opinions make the decision for you.

Last edited by SuNioj0369 : 2005-01-26 at 17:24.
Old 2005-01-26, 19:09
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to lamb_of_god Send a message via Yahoo to lamb_of_god
Reign In Blood I like better, but I dunno which had the greater influence.

You know, '86 was a good year for thrash:
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Megadeth - Peace Sells.........But who's Buying?
Exodus - Bonded By Blood (not sure here, I think it's '86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Everything is funny you just gotta look at it the right way.

Quote:
You know I believe in a ruling class, particuarly since I rule.

-Randal, Clerks

scientology

MySpace

scientology
Old 2005-01-26, 20:20
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRezendes
The technicality of Master of Puppets is quite overstated here. The only thing more complex about Master of Puppets is the song structure and most of the bass lines and fills. None of the riffs in MoP are more complex than the better riffs in RiB. The solos on RiB are better, not to say they are great, because they are just decent, but I really don't need to hear any of Kirk Hammett's overrated solos.

So which one is the better album? That's entirely a judgment call. I enjoy RiB more than I do MoP. I used to play them both constantly when I was in high school. Which one is more influential? I think that's pretty obvious. Metallica's influence on other bands of this period is largely overstated.

How many bands were strongly influenced by MoP? No, not how many bands list that as a favorite album in an interview, that means shit. How many were directly influenced by MoP? Name me every mid paced thrash metal band with strong song structures, good guitar work, great bass work, mediocre drumming, and lyrics focused on political and societal issues. Now, name me every speed obsessed thrash band with awesome riffs, mediocre solos, awesome drumming, practically non-existent bass, and lyrics focused on war, death, and the occult. It's pretty obvious to me which had the stronger influence.

One band I feel the need to bring up at this point is Possessed. They are not one of the more popular thrash bands, but their influence was very strong on early death metal and some thrash.

i dont understand how anyone could prefer slayer's solos. they are simply hideous, its obviously adlibbed chromatic shit, besides the fact that hanneman cant pull them off live. hammet's not a technically astounding soloist (can he even sweep?) but his solos fit the music and remain much more melodically in context than either hanneman or king
Old 2005-01-26, 20:28
Post-whore
Banned

reign in blood has influenced almost all black and death metal from today so RiB. personally i have no idea, they're about equal, possibly RiB by just a little nose.
Old 2005-01-26, 20:32
Life is pain.
Banned

Sepultura - Schizophrenia!
Old 2005-01-26, 20:50
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb_of_god
Reign In Blood I like better, but I dunno which had the greater influence.

You know, '86 was a good year for thrash:
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Megadeth - Peace Sells.........But who's Buying?
Exodus - Bonded By Blood (not sure here, I think it's '86)

Bonded by Blood was '85. I do believe Watchtower's first album, 'Energetic Disassembly', came out in '86. Off the top of my head, I can think of a few classic thrash albums that came out in '86-

Metal Church- The Dark
Kreator- Pleasure to Kill
Dark Angel- Darkness Descends (so much better than their first album it's almost a different band)
King Diamond- Fatal Portrait (I guess black/thrash, but still thrash)
Destruction- Eternal Devastation
Fates Warning- Awaken the Guardian (progressive/thrash, still thrash)
Old 2005-01-27, 00:38
Supreme Metalhead

Well, every dread-locked band in the world bows down to Slayer.

Every hard rock band sees Master of Puppets as the heaviest thing out there.

Now, Slayer's idea of speed and agression over musicality is a big factor in bands like Slipknot and Hatebreed's style. However, I'm not saying Slayer is nu-metal, or mallcore or whatever, and they certainly have influenced meny good bands, but it's undeniable that their brutal simplicity is a big part of the "Slipknot recipe."

Metallica are in the same boat. While they have influenced many good and even great bands, they're also responsible for many of the Nickelbacks of the world. With Sanitarium, they ushered in what is all but Korn's auditory rape. Think about it: if Korn had written the lyrics to Sanitarium, no one would have seen it as out of the ordinary. I'm not saying Metallica's lyrics are mallcore bullshit, but that song inparticular is one of the roots of the self pitying lyrics that plauge music today.

Both are both highly influential, but in distinctly different ways. Both are equally good and bad in the music they've spawned, and in the end, equally influential.
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind