MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 2005-11-12, 19:49
Lo, they do call to me...

Send a message via AIM to MoonRaven Send a message via MSN to MoonRaven Send a message via Yahoo to MoonRaven
ive got as i lay dying waiting for me after i finish 1984, any opinions on that one
Old 2005-11-12, 21:30
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRaven
ive got as i lay dying waiting for me after i finish 1984, any opinions on that one

1984 has been my favorite book for a long time, i reread it now and again. this book was written in 1949, thats what makes it far out.

im reading classical literature, ancient mythology for the most part now. think im gonna start on some plutarch, roman lives and essays tonite since i finished a mediocre translation of the eddas. also got livy's history of rome and the egyptian book of the dead. there even might be an epic of gilgamesh book around here.

books i want to read

niccolo machievelli-art of war
the snorri translation of the eddas, hopefully oxford or penguin has a good version
the aenid<or however you spell it>the roman national epic
don quixote-spanish national epic
an autobiography on ghengis khan or history of the mongels
any history on ancient seafaring,trireme construction, famous ancient battles at sea
any history that deal with the carthaginians and pheonicians, the punic wars etc.

edit: also any indepth history on the crusades, knights of templar,knights of malta,knights of rhodes, the hospitallers etc.

Last edited by low-tech : 2005-11-12 at 21:33.
Old 2005-11-12, 21:51
HES BAAACK

snorri was the author of the eddas not the translator! get "the sagas of the icelanders" its a collection of all the sagas pertaining mostly to iceland. i read king harald's saga this year and really really dug it. the one i got had an awesome intro that talk about how snorri died and everything. great story
Old 2005-11-12, 22:02
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
Last night I finished Camus' "The Stranger". Great book.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery
Old 2005-11-12, 22:17
Post-whore

Can anyone recommend some good horror books? As in truly frightening stuff... (I don't get scared easily)
Old 2005-11-12, 22:20
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
Can anyone recommend some good horror books? As in truly frightening stuff... (I don't get scared easily)

I wish I could know some too...haha your best bet is probably reading true crime...I mean Stephen King is just tame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2005-11-12, 22:49
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

King is shit for a good scare. I've read some good horror books, but none of them really scared me shitless--if that's even possible from a book.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2005-11-12, 23:47
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRaven
i was always fond of kings work, carrie was good, hearts in atlantis was awesome.
though my favorite book is "A Clockwork Orange." I adore that book, i actually wanted to learn the whole language so i could speak it.

You're fucking crazy man! I tried reading ACO but that cockney blew my fucking mind. Got to like page 5 then fell into a coma for 20 years.

At the moment I'm reading "Hiroshima Joe" which is cool. It's about a bisexual war vet living in japan after the bomb, stealing old ladies purses to pay for his opium and prosi addictions.

Waiting patiently on the shelf is "the devils" by fyodor dostoyevsky which looks fucking brilliant.

and King is a hack.

Welcome to MetalTabs my friend!

"Brother will kill brother, spreading blood across the land. Killing for religion, something I don't understand." - 'staine.
Old 2005-11-13, 00:11
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
snorri was the author of the eddas not the translator! get "the sagas of the icelanders" its a collection of all the sagas pertaining mostly to iceland. i read king harald's saga this year and really really dug it. the one i got had an awesome intro that talk about how snorri died and everything. great story

cool, i look those up. what i read was "masks of odin" which was a translation of most of the codex regius, the elder eddas. the author omitted parts of the poem so it could fit into some stupid new-age theory of the cosmos or some shit. and they let you know in the last chapter that you are not infact reading a full translation which i wasnt happy with. i got snorri confused with the monk guy who found the codex regius and made copies and preserved it, but whatever, its cool.
Old 2005-11-13, 01:44
Muffin Ass

Non Fiction here.

Sagan is the shit!
Old 2005-11-13, 10:23
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
Carl?

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!
Old 2005-11-13, 11:04
Supreme Metalhead

I'm not a huge fan of King, but he is a good writer and does have some stories that I liked such as Salem's Lot. I like more of the fantasy books that go hand in hand with powermetal. Like the Lord of the Rings series and shit.

Presonus Firepod - $425 shipped
Gator 4 Space Rack Case - $75 shipped
Rackmount Tuner - $75 shipped
Pacific Drum Works 5000 Double Bass Pedal - $175 shipped
Old 2005-11-13, 11:21
Die Young.

In speaking of fantasy....has anyone read R.A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale Trilogy or the Dark Elf Trilogy? I was reserching these books on the net and they look fairly interesting.

Quote:
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2005-11-13, 11:49
Post-whore
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pandemonium
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
As I stated in an eariler post I am reading A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. It is the first of the series(The 4th book just came out.) This is the first real fantasy novel I have read, excluding The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy. Usually I read fairly casually, but I have only had this novel for a week and two days and I'm already surpassing the 400 page mark. I cannot put this book down...has anyone else read it?

For more information - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

I also starting reading The Lord of The Flies..a classic I have not read yet..

POST!!! WHAT ARE YOU READING?!!

I've heard good things about that series. I need to check it out.

Right now I'm reading "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams, book 1 of "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn". The writing style is quite unique, but maybe I'm biased because I'm a Williams fan.

For non-fiction I just finished "Into Thin Air" by John Krakauer, about the ill-fated Everest expedition in 1996. Now I am beginning "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz, a memoir about a man who escaped from a Siberian prison camp and walked all the way to India. I think the party went without water for 9 days or more in the Gobi Desert.
Old 2005-11-13, 12:08
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
In speaking of fantasy....has anyone read R.A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale Trilogy or the Dark Elf Trilogy? I was reserching these books on the net and they look fairly interesting.

read those as a kid, when i was into DandD, i strongly advise against it. ra salvatore and possible the whole genre of rpg board game books are the equivalent of supermarket romance trash. unless if you're into a fixed and easily identifiable sense of good and evil, cornball overused plots that are spoonfed, pet characters who are omnipotent, allwise and infallable, books written without any significant moral or philosophical meaning behind them than go for it. in terms of literature these are kids books, superman comics have more relevence in substance and meaning, and that isnt saying much.

read frank herberts "dune" series, its a good example of a fantasy based plot, that encorporates a well researched understanding of ancient religion, ecology,geology,astrophysics,genetics as it was known in the 60's, tyrannical governments, both the latin and arabic language. it took the man years of research to write these books and they are meaningful beyond the genre, hold more depth than just reading about wierd monsters and cool magic weapons and the like.
Old 2005-11-13, 12:28
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
I thought the Dune series was written by a woman, but that she did research and live parts of hr books just to get authenticism in them. I might be thinking of someone else though. Or is that a pseudonym?

EDIT: I don't know who the heck I'm thinking of, but the books I'm thinking of were popular back in the early to mid 80's. It obviously wasn't Dune though.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Last edited by L,B'XXX : 2005-11-13 at 12:34.
Old 2005-11-13, 12:30
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Vardanstalt
John Saul is pretty good with horror or mystery or something, I recently finished Black Creek Crossing, that was good. Now I'm starting Midnight Voices. I reccomend him, if like you like mystery and horrr.

"Faith: not wanting to know what is true."
-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

teh myspace
Old 2005-11-13, 13:03
Die Young.

Pandemonium - Seriously, check out these books..they are more of a history lesson that a fantasy, losely based off The Wars of Roses between the Yorks and Lancasters.(Stark and Lannister in the novel) I mean dragons and elves are far in the past already in the novel..maybe the other books include them I do not know...however it is a fantastic read, and I would definitely reccomend it, even too people who hate the fantasy genre. The characters are so well thought up and the plots are so tediously suspicious it will keep you reading until your eyes force blood.

Low-Tech - Thanks for the insight..are DandD expansions based on these books? I noticed a video game called "D+D The Icewind Dale", I beleive it was called that...I trust your knowledge, and will read further into these books if I ever purchase them.

Quote:

RIP moe.
Old 2005-11-13, 13:28
HES BAAACK

best fantasy books ever were the piers anthony incanrations series and the dragonlance series (theo ne with seasons) raistlin is metal
Old 2005-11-13, 13:44
Die Young.

Trans...I'm not saying those books aren't good...but the incarnations series have really queer looking covers...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/038...458#reader-link

Quote:

RIP moe.