MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 2005-01-21, 00:00
Post-whore
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pandemonium
For those of you that read.

Anyone read the Dark Tower series? Specifically, the last book? I'm just appalled at King's laziness here, and lack of imagination throughout much of it. There are some issues that I'd like to share with you, and I'd like your reactions to the book as well.

SPOILER ALERT

The ending: How disgusting! Roland is condemned to replay this journey over and over? Bah! I thought pretty decently of the book until those final pages.

The death of the ka-tet: Eddie, died in a good way. The other deaths were meaningless. Jake, and especially Oy, died as if King just suddenly wanted to be rid of them.

Walter: King's ultimate super villain, who plays the evil dude in more than one of his works, comes out of nowhere and gets eaten by spider boy? Pathetic.

Mordred: All kinds of build up, and for nothing. He just follows Roland until the end of the book, and dies in less than a few paragraphs. And doesn't talk to Roland at all. Completely useless character.

Oh, and the Crimson King. Santa Claus throwing flying grenades? GGGRRRRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEERRRRAAAHH. Useless! This is supposed to be the Supreme Lord of Chaos. Not some pathetic creature throwing grenadoes.

Those are my biggest complaints, although there are many more flaws.

Last edited by Pandemonium : 2005-01-21 at 00:23.
Old 2005-01-21, 10:17
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Steven King is a stumpdicked pigfucker.

I've read everything in the entire world, except anything by or about Steven King. Why? See above small penis/porcine reference.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."
Old 2005-01-21, 11:47
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane

I've read everything in the entire world, except anything by or about Steven King. Why? See above small penis/porcine reference.

I've never read a horror/suspense book that I thought was good, unless you count the RL Stein books that I used to like to read in the 4th-6th grade. Steven King's are among the worst I've ever bothered to waste my time reading. I guess I hate most fiction books, anyway... except Dr. Seuss. He fucking ruled. After that, mostly just stuff like true crime, science, history (especially books about wars), and occasional biographies. Oh, I also spend hours on end pouring through atlases and maps... I'm obsessed with stuff like that. I like old maps, too, they show all sorts of then active railroad tracks that are now abandoned and inadequately mapped.
Old 2005-01-21, 11:57
Lo, they do call to me...

Send a message via AIM to MoonRaven Send a message via MSN to MoonRaven Send a message via Yahoo to MoonRaven
i was always fond of kings work, carrie was good, hearts in atlantis was awesome.
though my favorite book is "A Clockwork Orange." I adore that book, i actually wanted to learn the whole language so i could speak it.
Old 2005-01-21, 13:06
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Carrie was from his earlier days, and it was the worst horror book I've ever read. I used to read all the RL Stein books, actually I still have most of em-That being the goosbump books, and some of the RLstein series. I don't really read them anymore though. Now it's mostly just the two trilogies I read, Lord of the Rings and HLector. And sometimes I read the Dark Forces series.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2005-01-21, 16:10
HES BAAACK

i want to read the dark tower ... but thats a LOT of reading. im not going to ready many posts in this thread because i dont want to ruin it formyself. i read "the stand" over the summer and enjoyed all 1200 pages of it

i really really really recommend it. a HUGE book like that makes the characters seem more real. the author gets much more time and methods to expand them
Old 2005-01-21, 18:25
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
The Stand is fucking amazing. You do, as Transient stated, get very into the characters. Awesomely vivid book. Other than that, I haven't read anything else by him.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey
Old 2005-01-21, 22:02
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRezendes
I guess I hate most fiction books, anyway... except Dr. Seuss. He fucking ruled.

Oh yes. I bought a copy of the Grinch about a month back. Second childhood I guess.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."
Old 2005-01-21, 22:16
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
i want to read the dark tower ... but thats a LOT of reading. im not going to ready many posts in this thread because i dont want to ruin it formyself. i read "the stand" over the summer and enjoyed all 1200 pages of it

i really really really recommend it. a HUGE book like that makes the characters seem more real. the author gets much more time and methods to expand them

The Stand started out good enough, but the middle was pitifully boring. This is probably the only case where the movie was better than the book.
Old 2005-01-21, 22:41
HES BAAACK

yeah, i thought the ending was a little weak too, but the actual apocalypse part was amazing. the way he did like 20 pages of tiny little stories.... very well done.

my heart raced in parts too, like the tunnel scenes
Old 2005-01-22, 00:36
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to BrokenCrimson Send a message via MSN to BrokenCrimson Send a message via Yahoo to BrokenCrimson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRaven
i was always fond of kings work, carrie was good, hearts in atlantis was awesome.
though my favorite book is "A Clockwork Orange." I adore that book, i actually wanted to learn the whole language so i could speak it.

Love the book, but even for me it was a pain to read.
"Yarblokos? Oh, Apples!" I used to read a lot, but nowadays I don't. I read the "must read" shit like Brave New World, Animal Farm and 1984, but apart from those I've been too lazy. Just finished a fairly boring trilogy called "Journeys Of The Catechist" by the same dude who wrote the origional Alien trilogy, but that's about it.I mostly read Terry Pratchett's stuff nowadays, the last one I read was The Last Hero and before that, Soul Music.
Old 2005-01-22, 07:55
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to SARS
Quote:

ditto.
It does have to be the most bland awful stuff i've ever read. I'm not actually into horror reading that much, which might explain the distaste. Mainly i read up about WW2, Terry Pratchett, Tolkien, anything Sci-Fi does it for me.
I didn't mind reading the Da Vinci code either, but i can't see Tom Hanks playing the lead role.

Ho-Hum.
Old 2005-01-28, 11:35
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Quote:

Did you like the DeVinci Code? I've so far the first chanpter and already I think it might be really cool.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2005-01-28, 11:38
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to SARS
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Did you like the DeVinci Code? I've so far the first chanpter and already I think it might be really cool.

tis a good read. a few nice twists too.........
Old 2005-01-28, 15:24
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium
The Stand started out good enough, but the middle was pitifully boring. This is probably the only case where the movie was better than the book.

You've got to be kidding me.

I hear the DiVinci code is really good. I've never seen so many people read the same book.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so ronrey
Old 2005-01-28, 16:24
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
You've got to be kidding me.

I hear the DiVinci code is really good. I've never seen so many people read the same book.

No, not kidding. Highly overrated story.
Old 2005-01-28, 20:34
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to TheDreadfulHoroscope
I finished the Di Vinci Code about a week ago, and it's a fun read. I dunno about the whole religous concept, but it's a decent puzzle book.
Old 2005-01-29, 06:18
Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to collyersgirl
i havent read the dark towers, but i did enjoy a couple of other books by king ie: Carrie, IT, Cujo, The tommyknockers and The shining. hes not brilliant but the books are good for school reports and all because the teachers lap it all up
Old 2005-01-29, 13:27
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to TheDreadfulHoroscope
Yeah I've read the shining, I've also seen both movie versions....
Old 2005-01-30, 00:18
Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to collyersgirl
yeah the only thing that scared me was when the grass lions covered in snow came to life (on the movie) only cos i saw it when i was 8 and love playing in the snow.