MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2005-01-14, 02:18
amerok
Senior Metalhead

Wholetone question

Hey, what type of chords/progressions could you use the wholetone scale?

Old 2005-01-14, 20:17
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Thrashboy might have something better to say than me on this, but I always saw the "wholetone" scale as just a [set] version of an a-tonal scale. ....A-tonal meaning there is no set scale and everything is basically it's own key.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2005-01-15, 04:06
amerok
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, i heard that the wholetone scale fits well with certain chords? Anyone know anything about that?

-amerok

Old 2005-01-15, 21:27
Thrashboy
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Thrashboy might have something better to say than me on this, but I always saw the "wholetone" scale as just a [set] version of an a-tonal scale. ....A-tonal meaning there is no set scale and everything is basically it's own key.

Yup. Its a-tonal. Not having any variation in the intervals causes each note to have equal importance.

If you wanted something written with a whole tone scale to have a "key", it would be possible, just alittle tricky. For each note in the scale, there is no perfect 4th or perfect 5th. Just an aug version of each. This will get you an interesting sound. But to pull it off, you would only want to focus on the root and 5th, maybe the 4th. By focus I mean don't hang around on the other notes for longer then a quarter beat. You stay on another note for longer then that and chances are it will become your new tonal center. I would be careful with the 5th as well, it has equal power to become the tonal center. You would have to massively focus on that root note more then the others, and then have the 5th be focused on second most.

The dim scale is simular. Since this pattern goes whwhwhwhw it has 4 of the 8 notes in it that can become a tonal center because of the symetrical pattern.

As far as chords in the whole tone scale. You only really have one chord. The none changing interal pattern means a chord from each step of the scale will have the same interval structure.....

Every single chord would be a major aug 5th. i.e C+5(or just C+)

in C some of your chords would be...
C+5
Cadd9+5
Cadd9add+11+5
Cadd9add+11add+13+5
Csus2+5
Csus+4+5
C+5add+6

You can change that C to any other note in the scale/key and it won't change the chords.

The interval degrees for whole tone are

1,Root
2,Major second
3,Major Third
4,Augmented 4th
5,Augmented 5th
6,Augmented 6th
7,don't have one, thats why no 7th, and the 9's and ups are all adds

Old 2005-01-16, 00:06
SuNioj0369
Supreme Metalhead

Wow, you know your theory man! Good post. While it may not be of much importance now, if you want some ideas of how whole tone stuff is used in metal check out some newer Cannibal Corpse. Songs like Sickening Metamorphosis, the intro to Hung and Bled, and other stuff written by Alex Webster has some stuff that use cool whole tone patterns.

Old 2005-01-16, 03:29
amerok
Senior Metalhead

Thrashboy - thanks a lot for the help, i appreciate you giving so much info.
Sun - alright, ill check them out, thanks.