MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2004-12-12, 07:53
warlock_freak
Senior Metalhead
Banned

will a pedal float a boat

hopefully something like this thread hasnt been done b4, but if i have a stock warlock with stock strings and stock pickups, could i just get a pedal and have a very nice, heavy tone, or do i should i get pickups and strings..i kinda want to get better pickups, but im hoping to get a nice pedal and save money...Also vise versa...should i get good pickups and that might be what i want

P.S. im not a tightass but im a bargain hunter

Old 2004-12-12, 08:42
cxmachine
Senior Metalhead

everything in your rig will contribute to your sound. is there a certain sound you are looking for? frankly i'm not a fan of warlocks, and if you have a bronze warlock don't bother buying anything until you replace the pickups. also though i am a hypocrite by saying this since i use pedals, a good amp distortion will kill any pedal. unfortuneately i bought my amp on name alone (marshall) and i liked its warm tube feel, however the distortion blows for what i play (In flames, nevermore, fear factory sound). i therefore have a pedal rig as a cheap fix for the time being. my reccomendation to you, try out alot of pedals and make sure you get yourself a noise gate. i'm a fan of both the digitech metalmaster and pro rat for my distortion, and any fairly decent quality noise gate should keep the noise to a minimum. as for you warlock frankly unless you have a top of the line series one, replace the pickups with actives, since the wood on the lower end ones are crap. active pickups can make almost any guitar sound good, since then the wood affects the sound very little. hope this helps somewhat, i'll follow up if ya post again
Originally Posted by Righteous_Death
Black Sabbath are so good, so I wouldnt say anything to disrespect them.
Cunt face.

Rest in Peace Dime, thank you for changing my world on vulgar display of power, thank you for being my next step after sabbath, and thank you for inspiring me to pick up that guitar and learn some heavy fucking metal \m/ your memory will live on forever

Old 2004-12-12, 15:33
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

personally i'd get new pickups...

Old 2004-12-14, 07:10
warlock_freak
Senior Metalhead
Banned

thanks cxmachine, you know, a lot of people diss the warlock, and for me, its good, i know i have the bronze series but its made of basswood, not agathis.. (Agathis is some no-name bulshit), and so i think of it as being one of the better shitty ones. yeah the pickups are shit... is it hard to change the pickups? or should i pay a fortune for the shop to do it?

Last edited by warlock_freak : 2004-12-14 at 07:26.

Old 2004-12-14, 22:11
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock_freak
thanks cxmachine, you know, a lot of people diss the warlock, and for me, its good, i know i have the bronze series but its made of basswood, not agathis.. (Agathis is some no-name bulshit), and so i think of it as being one of the better shitty ones. yeah the pickups are shit... is it hard to change the pickups? or should i pay a fortune for the shop to do it?

those bronze warlocks are complete shit... they don't stay in tune well, the pickups are garbage, they're heavy and poorly constructed... the wiring is like little kid's toy shit....

just buy a new guitar

Old 2004-12-16, 10:41
warlock_freak
Senior Metalhead
Banned

give me a break

give me a break, sure you may say the warlcoks crap, but its the best guitar ive ever played. ok. im typing this now cause low E broke and im replacing it with Dean Markley 10-52...(bad or good..salesman sucked) and + for christs sake im 14. ill get a better warlock when i save up for it. and mate, 7 bucks an hour is not a lot when youve got other commitments (no i dont take drugs that fucking stupid) na i have other hobbies too. well, toodle-oo

Old 2004-12-16, 20:58
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

......... .............
GET A BTURAL EMG SET BECAUSE THEY"RE BROOTIL!!!!1

sorry bls i had to...

Old 2004-12-16, 21:07
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

Hey warlock freak....I'm gonna tell you first hand....don't challenge xdislexicx at what he does best man....he's gonna make you look stupid.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.

Old 2004-12-16, 21:30
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

basically i'm just saying those guitars are crap... we all have money problems... but that doesnt mean it aint crap..

my guitarist has that guitar... he replaced the bridge pickup with an emg hz, better, but still complete shite..
it just stays at his house now that he has a gibson sg.... he had it(as well as a line 6 2x12 combo) when i first started jamming with him(lucky for him he's really good so i saw past the crappy gear), and i told him i resused to gig until he got something better.

i despise bc rich.

Old 2004-12-16, 22:06
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
give me a break, sure you may say the warlcoks crap, but its the best guitar ive ever played. ok. im typing this now cause low E broke and im replacing it with Dean Markley 10-52...(bad or good..salesman sucked) and + for christs sake im 14. ill get a better warlock when i save up for it. and mate, 7 bucks an hour is not a lot when youve got other commitments (no i dont take drugs that fucking stupid) na i have other hobbies too. well, toodle-oo

When I was 14 (a year ago) I had 8 guitars! Now, I still have 8 guitars but I'm getting a new one real soon.
Active pickups wouldnt be a bad idea in a case such as this. They dont rely on the wood of the guitar for the tone as much. The bad thing is, is that the EMGs would cost as much as the guitar is worth so.. But I'm not against that. My Washburn has a good $300 worth of things I've bought for it and I only got it for $200. And you dont want to know how much more I'm planning on putting into it.

Old 2004-12-23, 01:00
warlock_freak
Senior Metalhead
Banned

ok, i just realised how fucking stupid my previous message was.. well anyway..i dunno i might get pickups but for now the guitar is ok. and unfortunantly i play in a shitty punk-rock band..its absolutely shit...the vocalist doesnt even want to swear because his mum said no.. and the guitar is ok for the quality of the band... as far as my skill goes ive only been playing for 6-8 months so it wouldnt be worth getting a $2000 guitar..well, maybe in a few years

P.S. no-one in my school listens to metal apart from a few kids that like Metallica.. and as soon as i can leave the band, i will.

P.P.S. so what is a 'good' guitar.. how about you talk about something good rather than diss me.

Last edited by warlock_freak : 2004-12-23 at 01:23.

Old 2004-12-23, 03:24
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

well, how much do you have exactly and are you willing to buy used? also, what styles of guitars are you into? shred stuff with thin necks and hot pu's or the more classic les paul/sg "tone" type guitars?

Old 2004-12-23, 03:31
warlock_freak
Senior Metalhead
Banned

i dont know much about guitars. im into black/ death. thin neck, bad-ass tone, really heavy. and something different..not another LP or strat. nothing against those guitars, i just like metal. I wouldnt mind a Jackson Dinky though. Basically something for metal. i would be willing to spend up to $1000 AUD. $300 AUD for an amp.

Old 2004-12-23, 03:51
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

you got alot of growing up to do kid...

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-12-23, 04:11
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Basically something for metal.

uhh. Any electric guitar can be 'for metal'.

Old 2004-12-23, 04:20
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
i dont know much about guitars. im into black/ death. thin neck, bad-ass tone, really heavy. and something different..not another LP or strat. nothing against those guitars, i just like metal. I wouldnt mind a Jackson Dinky though. Basically something for metal. i would be willing to spend up to $1000 AUD. $300 AUD for an amp.

hmmm... maybe get a dinky then?
for $300 aud on an amp you're totally fucked.

Old 2004-12-23, 04:23
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-12-23, 04:34
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS

hahaha! Sweet.
"ok not quite mint..This worked fine untill my guitar fell into my amp..."

Old 2004-12-23, 04:42
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

man, only $60???

seriously... that's a nice guitar, same kind def has, all you'd need is a fucking new neck and you'd be set. you can find a new or used wizard I style neck fucking easy for way cheap too.

hell, you could probably gut it and sell the peices for more than $60, the pickups alone even.

the amp is crap though, just a bonus....

Old 2004-12-23, 04:47
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Def has the RG750 which is like the 80's version of the 570 !!!

But yeh.. the bridge would go for around $50, the body around $50 and the pickups maybe a little elss than $50 and new neck would be like $80ish.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-12-23, 04:51
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

$60, but the reserve isn't met.
And judging that hes asking like $200 for the buy it now, I think the reserve isn't to low.

Old 2004-12-23, 04:52
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
uhh. Any electric guitar can be 'for metal'.

True, any guitar you can play can be used for heavy metal ... just look at Malmsteen, playing what is often considered the least ideal instrument for heavy metal, the "sproingy-toned" stratocaster. An object lesson that tone is more in the hands than in the equipment ...

B.C. Rich is generally looked down upon by more experienced players ( unless they are endorsed by B.C. Rich, of course ... then they are playing American Made B.C. Rich's that cost upwards of 1,500$ ), mainly because they are notorious for producing instruments of an "inferior" quality, but with pointy edges to sell in greater quantities. And at that, these extreme shapes can come off as contrived to some players. But play whatever you prefer, because you will not be happy any other way!

If you're going to replace your Warlock, I sugggest ESP. Some of their models ranging from 4-600$ feature active electronics ( EMG ), 24 fret thin necks and aesthetics instrinsic to heavy metal bravado that scream 'metal', which sounds like what you're looking for. And as always, E-bay is a fine place to look.

You get what you pay for, although some companies offer better values than others, and this is at the discretion of the customer.

And if you're not going to replace the Warlock ... then at least modify it to the greatest extent possible, I would go so far as to replace the original hardware ( tune-o-matic bridge, tuners ), and active humbuckers would be a must. EMG or Seymour Duncan's LiveWire.

Last edited by John Holland : 2004-12-23 at 04:54.

Old 2004-12-23, 08:12
warlock_freak
Senior Metalhead
Banned

well thanks.. yeah ill buy new gear soon. pen15