MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #301  
Old 2007-06-11, 14:42
SuspendedByTheThroat's Avatar
SuspendedByTheThroat SuspendedByTheThroat is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 304
Send a message via AIM to SuspendedByTheThroat
ive never been a fan of pantera. the sound was just way too simple and monotone.

every pantera song i've ever seen heard i can figure out the song in minutes.
and im a terrible guitar player.

and oh so what he busted out a solo every once in a while, those never got my attention either, just a bunch of scales really.

I think kirk hammet is alot better, even though he is also extreamly overhyped.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 2007-06-11, 14:58
Child of Decadence's Avatar
Child of Decadence Child of Decadence is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspendedByTheThroat
every pantera song i've ever seen heard i can figure out the song in minutes.
and im a terrible guitar player.

I think kirk hammet is alot better


http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g...16ef5c9d824.jpg
Nergal says you fail.

Last edited by Child of Decadence : 2007-06-11 at 15:14.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 2007-06-11, 18:19
Requiem Requiem is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: terra firma
Posts: 6,940
I never want to hear any one say that Randy Rhodes is over rated. He was so ahead of his time and there are still only a select few who are even close to the talent that he reached at such an early age.
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 2007-06-11, 19:25
Silent Night 6 6's Avatar
Silent Night 6 6 Silent Night 6 6 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspendedByTheThroat
ive never been a fan of pantera. the sound was just way too simple and monotone.

every pantera song i've ever seen heard i can figure out the song in minutes.
and im a terrible guitar player.

and oh so what he busted out a solo every once in a while, those never got my attention either, just a bunch of scales really.

I think kirk hammet is alot better, even though he is also extreamly overhyped.

Please tell me you're joking, so that you'll spare me the energy of having to write out a 5 paragraph essay on how you are wrong. Your statement isn't even a matter of opinion too, it just sounds silly.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 2007-06-11, 22:13
SuspendedByTheThroat's Avatar
SuspendedByTheThroat SuspendedByTheThroat is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 304
Send a message via AIM to SuspendedByTheThroat
why would I be joking.

this is a thread for the most over rated metal guitarists. it's a thread for oppinion, and my oppinion is that he is way more hyped then he should be.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 2007-06-11, 22:28
Silent Night 6 6's Avatar
Silent Night 6 6 Silent Night 6 6 is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,968
I don't think Dime was anything near a god, but I respect his abilities. I don't know what your conception of a "horrible guitarist" is, but if you're figuring solos out easily from, let's say CFH, then I would say that you're an above average guitarist. Unless that is, you're figuring it out all wrong. And "just a bunch of scales"......Considering this is heavy metal, the use of scales as oppossed to? Finally, saying that Kirk Hammett is better than any one is, well....a sin in my view.....and I won't even explain that.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 2007-06-12, 13:31
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,980
Dime is probably both incredibly important and great, and also overrated. I don't think there's any rule prohibiting you from being both overrated and truly great.

So, for example, Randy Rhoads is probably overrated because people like Requiem overstate his genuine greatness into something unassailable, which it clearly isn't. But he's still genuinely great. Of course, this tends to lead to my view that every highly-rated guitarist is overrated to some degree, which makes the act of determining which guitarists are overrated a pretty pointless exercise, however fun.

And I think the dude was saying that Dime's solos were just running up and down scales, not that his solos used notes from scales. That's giving him the benefit of the doubt, and the statement still comes out retarded. However, that he also makes it sound like the majority of Pantera songs don't have leads, my belief is that he's either talking out of his ass or only knows Reinventing the Stee, which should temper some of his claims.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 2007-06-12, 14:38
Casketcrusher Casketcrusher is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,280
I don't think guitarists like Michael Angelo, Steve Vai, Satriani and others are overatted cause the average guitar person has not even heard of them. Everyone I talk to only knows like Zakk Wylde, Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page and even Dimebag. And that's really sad that Zakk and Dime (who both just wank the penatonic scale over and over-not so much Dime but Zakk) who seem to write the same in the same style over and over again get more recognition than guitarists like Vai who ,yes wank a lot, write outside the standard theory and use a wide variety of patterns and even obscure techniques on the guitar. Bringing something new to the table where as Zakk and Alexi are just rehashing the same stuff over and over again.


But whether or not the person is influencial is irrelevent, Johnny Ramone, Keith Richards were both extreemly influencial to a lot of players but were they great guitarists? No. A person can be influenced by the simplest of guitar playing to the most technical.

It comes down to whether they are overatted. Dimebag is overatted. Like Hendrix they are really milking him after his death. As a songwritter Dime was great as a guitarist well he was fairly simple and he seemed to do the same thing over and over again with his solos.

As far as Hendrix is concerned, it's the same thing. He was a great songwritter, and a great player, very soulfull. But over the years there has been better. Yes he influenced them but when I still see Hendrix voted "Greatest guitarist of all time" come on, there are probably people on the street who are better players. Eddie, Vai, Becker, Friendman, Paul Gilbert, Ralph Santola, Luke Jagar, all top Hendrix as players. Songwritting aside. Yes of course Hendrix influenced them, of course. But it would be the same as saying that Possessed are better guitar players than Deicide cause they influenced them. Well...obviously Deicide are better players. (songwritting I would disagree on but that's IMO).

There will never be greatest guitarist of all time cause there is always someone who will raise the bar.

And BTW I am a Hendrix fan.
__________________
"I miss the days when it was acceptable to listen to everything."
-Chuck Schuldiner (R.I.P)

Truer words were never spoken.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 2007-06-12, 16:30
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,980
Well, here's the thing: Because guitarists tend to group people like Vai, Satch, and MA Batio apart from more mainstream guitarists like Dime and Zakk, and see that the latter are better known than the former, they also tend to rate the former more highly. It's fewer people doing it, but they're still giving them props for reasons that have nothing to do with their playing.

Comment about Keith Richard's laughable, as any attempt at the ancient art of weaving would surely tell you.

I'd like to know how you rank players, 'songwriting aside.' Because some of those guys can't write even an interesting solo, unless 'interesting' in the sense of 'using an unusual scale,' and if you can't do that, I, for one, don't give a shit how well you play your boring parts.

And I will definitely take Ler Lalonde over any guitarist Deicide's ever had.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 2007-06-12, 17:30
Casketcrusher Casketcrusher is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Well, here's the thing: Because guitarists tend to group people like Vai, Satch, and MA Batio apart from more mainstream guitarists like Dime and Zakk, and see that the latter are better known than the former, they also tend to rate the former more highly. It's fewer people doing it, but they're still giving them props for reasons that have nothing to do with their playing.

Comment about Keith Richard's laughable, as any attempt at the ancient art of weaving would surely tell you.

I'd like to know how you rank players, 'songwriting aside.' Because some of those guys can't write even an interesting solo, unless 'interesting' in the sense of 'using an unusual scale,' and if you can't do that, I, for one, don't give a shit how well you play your boring parts.

And I will definitely take Ler Lalonde over any guitarist Deicide's ever had.



I rank the actual player by seeing if they can play many different styles and are well rounded. I think it's a lot more impressive to play many different styles rather than playing the same thing over and over. I personally love Steve Vai's solos. Like For The Love Of God or Tender Surender cause they have catchy hooks.

I am more of a songwritting person tho. I'm not a huge fan of technical music unless it has some sort of feel to it or flow such as bands like Cynic or Athiest. Not just a bunch of random notes or sweeps up and down the neck. 3 of my biggest influences guitar playing wise are James Murphy, Eric Cutler and Tony Iommi. Both are great song writters and eccellent composers but there are better guitarists out there.

One guitarist who I think is seriously underatted is Mike Scaccia from Rigor Mortis. He is extreemly we rounded playing at incredible speed but still managing to write catchy riffs.
__________________
"I miss the days when it was acceptable to listen to everything."
-Chuck Schuldiner (R.I.P)

Truer words were never spoken.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 2007-06-13, 17:08
SuspendedByTheThroat's Avatar
SuspendedByTheThroat SuspendedByTheThroat is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 304
Send a message via AIM to SuspendedByTheThroat
Eh I personally like alot of metallica's older solos, the new solos sound like they are'nt even trying though.

and I still rest my case saying that Dime is way too overrated.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 2007-06-13, 19:17
ulrichmc's Avatar
ulrichmc ulrichmc is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washburn, IL
Posts: 115
I never said Hendrix was the best player out there. I agree there are many players more technically and musically proficient than Hendrix, but does that make him overrated? Just because everyone who has never picked up a guitar thinks Hendrix is the greatest ever because that's all they know makes no difference to me. I couldn't care less about a non-guitarists opinion about guitarists. I am speaking within the guitar community. I doubt there are many serious guitarists out there who actually think Hendrix is the best technically. Therefore, within the guitar community, Hendrix is certainly not overrated. To the general population, maybe. Even so, his influence on just about every guitarist since keeps him from being an overrated guitar player in my opinion. Does influence make him better than those he influenced? Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean he is overrated. Some people put WAY too much value on technical skill. Look at a guy like Gilmour. Did he have amazing chops? Absolutely not. In fact, compared to his contemporaries, he was a below average technical player. Yet he was still one of the greatest ever in my opinion. The man was a genius. He had one thing going for him that so many speed-obsessed shredders miss. He understood phrasing.
__________________
Like a drug it feeds the imagination of minds that go unparalyzed
Followers to the leaders of mass hypnotic corruption
That live their lives only to criticize
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 2007-06-14, 05:23
CuddlyScamp's Avatar
CuddlyScamp CuddlyScamp is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 65
HAHAHA what a great thread! Man, opinions are like arseholes : everyones got one!!! Is there a "most underrated player thread"?
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 2007-06-14, 11:19
Casketcrusher Casketcrusher is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddlyScamp
HAHAHA what a great thread! Man, opinions are like arseholes : everyones got one!!! Is there a "most underrated player thread"?


Well put Cuddly. Personally I think there should be an underatted guitarists thread. Something I shall do....

Oh and BTW Ulrichmc. Those people I where talking about were also guitarists/musicians. I wouldn't bother asking someone who doesn't even have a clue how to play.
__________________
"I miss the days when it was acceptable to listen to everything."
-Chuck Schuldiner (R.I.P)

Truer words were never spoken.

Last edited by Casketcrusher : 2007-06-14 at 11:22.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 2007-06-14, 14:04
ulrichmc's Avatar
ulrichmc ulrichmc is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washburn, IL
Posts: 115
I realize they were guitar players. Do you really think Hendrix is overrated by serious guitar players? I think any serious player realizes that he wasn't the greatest ever, but he was still a great guitarist. The people who constantly vote him the greatest ever are not serious players. They are the wannabe punks that can't play anything other than emo. Who gives a shit what they think. Of course they're going to think Hendrix is the greatest ever. They've never heard of Vai, Becker, Friedman, MAB, Satch, etc... or at least they've never heard their music. I mean, you never see three of those guys in any Guitar World top guitarists list (unless it's strictly metal). But it isn't surprising because so few people know who they are aside from serious players (i.e. not the emo kids that make up so many of the people voting in the magazine polls).
__________________
Like a drug it feeds the imagination of minds that go unparalyzed
Followers to the leaders of mass hypnotic corruption
That live their lives only to criticize
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 2007-06-16, 18:41
Requiem Requiem is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: terra firma
Posts: 6,940
Zakk Wylde
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 2007-06-18, 13:43
metalshred metalshred is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32
People only say Kirk Hammet is overated because he is in metallica, I bet if he stayed in Exodus people would call him one of the best thrash metal guitarists. Alex Skolnick is my favourite in that genre though.
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 2007-06-18, 17:19
Casketcrusher Casketcrusher is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshred
People only say Kirk Hammet is overated because he is in metallica, I bet if he stayed in Exodus people would call him one of the best thrash metal guitarists. Alex Skolnick is my favourite in that genre though.


No people say Kirk is cause he almost does the same solo every song.
__________________
"I miss the days when it was acceptable to listen to everything."
-Chuck Schuldiner (R.I.P)

Truer words were never spoken.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 2007-06-19, 02:37
ulrichmc's Avatar
ulrichmc ulrichmc is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washburn, IL
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
No people say Kirk is cause he almost does the same solo every song.

Not to mention the fact that most of the good leads he ever played were written by Mustaine and/or Hetfield.
__________________
Like a drug it feeds the imagination of minds that go unparalyzed
Followers to the leaders of mass hypnotic corruption
That live their lives only to criticize
Where is the invisible line that we must draw to create individual thought?

Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 2007-06-19, 02:46
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,970
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Kirk Hammet's solos from Ride The Lightning through to And Justice For All are some of the best examples of lead playing I've heard to date and he rightly deserves great credit for his playing during this era. The "all his solos sound the same quote" can only really be applied to Hammet from Metallica onwards.

And what a surprise that the Dave Mustaine fanboys are once again claiming that everything decent ever written by Metallica is attributable to him. Anybody who knows anything about metal knows he gets just two partial writing credits on Ride The Lightning. Additionally, I don't care for much of his writing on Kill 'Em All so the best thing Metallica ever did was dump the fucker and get Kirk on board.

Also, can somebody name a lead that James Hetfield wrote other than that in Nothing Else Matters?
__________________
Album of the day:

Deadhead Roses - Zastruga
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.