MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2004-12-05, 21:53
guitar_demon
MotörCat

The major scales

the major scales are the most basic and simplest scales to learn. that pattern for making a major scale is
W=whole step
1/2=half step

W,W,1/2,W,W,W,1/2

so you take a note and use that pattern to make that major scale of it.
this would be a good time to bring up enharmonic values...
and enharmonic value is a note that has two names like F# and Gb same note but different name. in a scale you always have to go up by one note name. so say your at a A# and you have to go up a whole step, then you would have to use the name B# even though there really is no B# note (its the same note as C)
these are the scales with sharps in them( i will just list the notes that are shaprend within them, cause all the rest are natural notes)
G-F#
D-F#,C#
A-F#,C#,G#
E-F#,C#,G#,D#
B-F#,C#,G#,D#,A#,
F#-F#,C#,G#,D#,A#,E#
C#-F#,C#,G#,D#,A#,E#,B#

every scale gets another sharp to it. if you noticed the scales go up in 5ths and the sharps also go up in 5ths

the flate major scales
F-Bb
Bb-Bb,Eb
Eb-Bb,Eb,Ab
Ab-Bb,Eb,Ab,Db
Db-Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb
Gb-Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Cb
Cb-Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Cb,Fb

here every scale gets a flat added to it. also these scales go down by 5ths and the order of the flats also goes down by 5ths.

to make the full scales from above. take the scale name, start with that note, and add the notes in(with that pattern), if you dont see a flat or sharp of the note you need then its just the normal note name(called natural)

some of you may think these are boring, but if you plan on learning key sigs and such , then you must know these

there is one more scale
the C-major scale which has no flats or sharps so its just
C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2004-12-05, 23:31
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

....if I may add....
An easy way to remember the order of flats is BEADGCF. With sharps it's the same thing but backwards, FCGDAEB. And a good way to find out the key sig of a piece, take the last sharp and raise it a half step. For ex. if you are in the key of F# major, take the last sharp, E#, and raise it a half step and hey, you get F#...major. Differently with the flat keys, look at the second to last flat and that's the key. For ex. in the key of Cb major, the last flat is Fb and the second to last one is Cb.

---just a few cheats to figuring things out as a beginner.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2004-12-06, 01:13
guitar_demon
MotörCat

ah you ruined my little cheats for the key sig thread

Old 2004-12-06, 02:51
briyo2289
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
....if I may add....
An easy way to remember the order of flats is BEADGCF. With sharps it's the same thing but backwards, FCGDAEB. And a good way to find out the key sig of a piece, take the last sharp and raise it a half step. For ex. if you are in the key of F# major, take the last sharp, E#, and raise it a half step and hey, you get F#...major. Differently with the flat keys, look at the second to last flat and that's the key. For ex. in the key of Cb major, the last flat is Fb and the second to last one is Cb.

---just a few cheats to figuring things out as a beginner.

okay i am a beginner at theory so what do u mean by the last sharp. like the highest one on the staff or the last one from that list?

"I don't think I should be playing with these medium strings. I need light guage if I'm gonna thrash." - Master Shake

Death, Megadeth, Testament, Ozzy, Exodus, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Annihilator, Pantera, GWAR, Symphony X, Iced Earth, Anthrax, Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, Kreator, Hammerfall, Nevermore.

RIP DimeBag
RIP Syd Barrett

Old 2004-12-06, 03:01
guitar_demon
MotörCat

the last sharp in the key signature

Old 2004-12-06, 05:41
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
ah you ruined my little cheats for the key sig thread

teehee....there are others, I'm sure you'll figure something out.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2005-01-12, 02:32
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

can someone tell me what a dissonant chord is?

Old 2005-01-12, 03:32
exoDo
New Blood

i think there´s an error on the scales that have Cb and Fb

Cb=B and Fb=E

it´s theory too, but the structure is good

Old 2005-01-14, 11:32
Schizoid
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
the major scales are the most basic and simplest
G-F#
D-F#,C#
A-F#,C#,G#
E-F#,C#,G#,D#
B-F#,C#,G#,D#,A#,
F#-F#,C#,G#,D#,A#,E#
C#-F#,C#,G#,D#,A#,E#,B#

every scale gets another sharp to it. if you noticed the scales go up in 5ths and the sharps also go up in 5ths

the flate major scales
F-Bb
Bb-Bb,Eb
Eb-Bb,Eb,Ab
Ab-Bb,Eb,Ab,Db
Db-Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb
Gb-Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Cb
Cb-Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Cb,Fb

here every scale gets a flat added to it. also these scales go down by 5ths and the order of the flats also goes down by 5ths.

to make the full scales from above. take the scale name, start with that note, and add the notes in(with that pattern), if you dont see a flat or sharp of the note you need then its just the normal note name(called natural)

some of you may think these are boring, but if you plan on learning key sigs and such , then you must know these

there is one more scale
the C-major scale which has no flats or sharps so its just
C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C

I thought you look at the circle of fifths to see what scales are related to what. So are you saying that all scales with sharps are related with each other and all scales with flats are related with each other? So are C#-F#,C#,G#,D#,A#,E#,B# and Cb-Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Cb,Fb all all related to each other?