Send a message via AIM to bloodredthrone
Top 5 black metal bands

My top five would have to be, and in no particular order:
Burzum
Darkthrone
Immortal
Bathory
Emperor

New black metal has aquired a more mainstream sound structure and production quality which goes against the view points and styles that actually define black metal. For example, Darkthrone purposely used lo-fi production mediums such as tapes for more of a reason than money. If you look at transylvanian hunger, it has a much lower quality of production than their earlier releases. This is to thwart away the trendy, and those who can not appreciate their nihilistic views (well not true nihilism, more of satanism light) and asatru influences. The ultra minimilistic style is inherited from the electronica scene by influencial neo-classical musicians. For example Varg uses only classical scales on his cd Det Som Engang Var. It's actually quite clever that he exited the black metal scene with two entirely electronic releases. The black metal scene is dead, as all the good bands are either no longer or they have switched to other more listenable genres (for example dimmu borgir who transformed themselves into sort of a pop black metal which is therefore not really black metal.) That is my reasoning and you aren't going to convince me otherwise much like i could not convince you otherwise.
Old 2004-12-01, 15:16
MotörCat

Send a message via AIM to guitar_demon Send a message via MSN to guitar_demon
i dont like black metal that much so...

bathory
emperor
dissection
immortal
dimmu(old)

on a side note, this thread will probbaly get flames and way off topic
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!
Old 2004-12-01, 15:18
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Send a message via AIM to bloodredthrone
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon

on a side note, this thread will probbaly get flames and way off topic

I say bring it on, im educated enough to put up a fight.
Old 2004-12-01, 15:36
Senior Metalhead

Nice points you brought up, bloodredthrone. Using low-fi quality in Black Metal might sometimes add more atmosphere to the music than reducing it.

I consider these as the finest from BM:
Darkthrone
Paysage d'Hiver
Enslaved (actually Viking Metal)
Burzum
Ildjarn
Old 2004-12-01, 18:13
Lo, they do call to me...

Send a message via AIM to MoonRaven Send a message via MSN to MoonRaven Send a message via Yahoo to MoonRaven
close this thread too, there already was a thread exactly like this.
Old 2004-12-01, 18:24
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodredthrone
Burzum

Not another one!

Darkthrone
Emperor
Mayhem

The rest blow.
Old 2004-12-01, 19:25
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
The black metal scene is dead, as all the good bands are either no longer or they have switched to other more listenable genres

Hardly. Bands like Inquisition, Revenge, Axis of Advance and Arkhon Infaustus are releasing some amazing albums. Same with Xasthur and Blunt Aus Nord if that's your thing.

Any ways, on to the topic at hand...

Dissection
Blasphemy
Mayhem
Emperor
Samael

That's the five that came to my head the fastest. Five is such an arbitrary number though.
- Sadistik Exekution
Fuck Off And Die!
- Voivod
Fuck NS Black Metal
- Me
Old 2004-12-01, 20:19
Post-whore

Dark Funeral, Emperor, and Mayhem are the only black metal bands i can tolerate, oh yeah, and Impaled Nazarene.
Burzum is terrible.

Last edited by YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD : 2004-12-02 at 23:31.
Old 2004-12-01, 20:48
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to BrokenCrimson Send a message via MSN to BrokenCrimson Send a message via Yahoo to BrokenCrimson
Bloodredthrone you're trad fucking bitch. Don't justify musical claustrophobia. "The suck ass production is to ward off the trendy" - surprise, it's not the bad production that's warding off the trendy, it's the fact that the music is not "cool". The trendy will listen to an 8 bit version of Britney Spears' farts if MTV told them to, and if BM was on MTV they would listen to it, bad production or not. Bad production is too often used as a substitute for heaviness through composing, which sucks. Minimalism gets sickening after awhile, when all it becomes is three chord wonder recombination music. Instead, BM lost it's spirit of progress and doing something unique. Did Bathory, Sodom,Celtic Frost or Venom have "tr00 BM" guidelines to adhere to? Of course not. They were pioneers, and BM was about experimentation and slapping the rules in the face, and that's gone now with everyone trying to be painfully true.

I like:
Burzum, pre-electronic. I admire Varg's spirit, and he's a decent guy, if you read any of the interviews.
Emperor, Anthems in particular, and eventhough purists called them sellouts for this album, I salute them for doing what they did.
Satyricon, both old and new.
Astriaal, you have to love Astriaal, and if you don't, you're missing out.
Mayhem, and now that Maniac got fired, I can't wait what they will come up with next.
Old 2004-12-01, 20:55
Post-whore

i dislike most black metal but still:

Marduk (raw shit, good)
Melechesh (think of a black metal version of Nile)
Kult Ov Azazel (for the same reason as Marduk)
Impaled Nazarene (they keep things simple, which is good)
Old 2004-12-01, 21:07
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
I like:
Burzum, pre-electronic. I admire Varg's spirit, and he's a decent guy, if you read any of the interviews.
Emperor, Anthems in particular, and eventhough purists called them sellouts for this album, I salute them for doing what they did.
Satyricon, both old and new.
Astriaal, you have to love Astriaal, and if you don't, you're missing out.
Mayhem, and now that Maniac got fired, I can't wait what they will come up with next.

MANIAC GOT FIRED??? we'll be waiting 4-5 years for the next mayhem effort... cant wait hehehe. GDoW was decent but nothing to write home about. chimera i havent heard, and i wont if the reviews are anything to go by.

1. burzum, including electronic. each album is unique, from the true "burzum", to the artistic and beautiful "hvis lyset tar oss", to the crushingly heavy "filosofem" and all his ambient songs in between. i intend to buy hlidhskjalf and possibly daudi baldirs.

2. dissection. not part of the raw norwegian scene, these guys were amazing. it's not really sad that jon went to jail, they may have sold out earlier (it appears they have now). ill hear the new album and see what i think. regardless, their first two cds are legendary.

3. atomizer. temporarily forefronted the australian scene, while norway is the "tr00" country, i live in australia so thats useful. not bad third album, fan-fucking-tastic second album, with raw guitar sound but not raw production and classic old school riffs.

4. astrofaes. similar to darkthrone but canes darkthrone.

5. immortal hammer. delicious raw band with some nice riffs.

hah, only one norwegian band in all of that...
Old 2004-12-01, 21:15
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
"The suck ass production is to ward off the trendy" - surprise, it's not the bad production that's warding off the trendy, it's the fact that the music is not "cool".

Exactly!

And the part where he was going off about Burzum using only classical scales or something equally ludicrous made me smirk. What the hells a classical scale?
- Sadistik Exekution
Fuck Off And Die!
- Voivod
Fuck NS Black Metal
- Me
Old 2004-12-01, 23:39
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I've read many, many Burzum interviews, as well as a fair number of the articles he's written that have been translated into English. Varg isn't a decent guy, except in the sense that it's hard to find a human being you couldn't fairly easily get along with.

bloodredthrone seems to be a less literate SR Prozak parrot. If he can't post a topic without giving us a poor imitation of that man's thesis, no matter how little it matters - What bands do you like? I think black metal's moved away from its nihilistic origins and blah blah blah Varg's a modern day hero because he went from being a pioneer in one genre to a third-rate minimalist composer blah blah blah - I'm sure one of our friends can take care of that problem for him. For future reference: if you want to talk about your top five favorite black metal bands, a topic called 'Top 5 black metal bands' is a good place to do it. If you want to talk about the degraded state of current black metal, a thread with a title like 'True black metal rules, trendy posers should suck on my rectum' would be more appropriate. The two don't belong under the roof of the same thread. Figure out which you want to talk about, or make two different threads.
Old 2004-12-02, 00:02
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to BrokenCrimson Send a message via MSN to BrokenCrimson Send a message via Yahoo to BrokenCrimson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Exactly!

And the part where he was going off about Burzum using only classical scales or something equally ludicrous made me smirk. What the hells a classical scale?

Natural scale? Mode scale? I don't know. It is quite obvious that bloodredthrone doesn't know what he's talking about. Trad bitches seem to tack on the whole Nihilism bullshit to BM, making it no better than any other religious music. Nihilistic origins? Fuck you! Romantic origins, naturistic origins, maybe, but not Nihilistic.

Quote:
Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. A true nihilist would believe in nothing, have no loyalties, and no purpose other than, perhaps, an impulse to destroy.

No, not nihilism. That anus dude isn't a true nihilist either.
Old 2004-12-02, 04:18
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Cloaca Send a message via MSN to Cloaca Send a message via Yahoo to Cloaca
Fuck this, not again!

Emperor, Immortal and Astriaal. Thats it.
Old 2004-12-02, 05:21
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to HELLBLASTER-666
Immortal
Darkthrone
Dodheimsgard
Mayhem
Thorns

Old 2004-12-02, 09:03
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
I don't like BM much but I like some Emperor, Rotting Christ and Anaal Nathrakh (or however you spell it). Generally, if I wanted to listen to music that sounds like it's been recorded by a 15 year old with a cheap dictaphone I'd lock my brother in the bathroom while he's having a shit. Not my scene but like I said, some of it is OK.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Old 2004-12-02, 10:20
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to obrien20
Immortal.
Old 2004-12-02, 10:52
Senior Metalhead

I think that nowadays scene is in some areas much better than the one on late 80's-early 90's, there weren't bands like: Deathspell Omega, Paysage d'Hiver, Satanic Warmaster, Inquisition, S.V.E.S.T, Peste Noire etc. though, eg. Darkthrone's early albums are still one of the best albums from Black Metal, it doesn't mean that all of these pioners' music would be better than nowadays ones.

It is true that these Darkthrone, Burzum, Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate and many other pioners has done a lot of influence to the nowadays scene, and therefore one might make an assumption that these all pioners should be/are better, which isn't always(/only some times) true. For example Abyssic Hate's Suicidal Emotions was a total master piece of Burzum's Filosofem-era Black Metal, and if you start to compare these two albums, Abyssic Hate's one is way better.
Old 2004-12-02, 11:06
Lo, they do call to me...

Send a message via AIM to MoonRaven Send a message via MSN to MoonRaven Send a message via Yahoo to MoonRaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decrepify
I think that nowadays scene is in some areas much better than the one on late 80's-early 90's, there weren't bands like: Deathspell Omega, Paysage d'Hiver, Satanic Warmaster, Inquisition, S.V.E.S.T, Peste Noire etc. though, eg. Darkthrone's early albums are still one of the best albums from Black Metal, it doesn't mean that all of these pioners' music would be better than nowadays ones.

It is true that these Darkthrone, Burzum, Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate and many other pioners has done a lot of influence to the nowadays scene, and therefore one might make an assumption that these all pioners should be/are better, which isn't always(/only some times) true. For example Abyssic Hate's Suicidal Emotions was a total master piece of Burzum's Filosofem-era Black Metal, and if you start to compare these two albums, Abyssic Hate's one is way better.

READ WHAT THE FUCK PST JUST FUCKING SAID, NO DEBATING THE FUCKING STATE OF BLACK METALS EXISTANCE IN THIS THREAD, START A NEW FUCKING THREAD FOR THAT SHIT, AND YOU AND THE OTHER ELITIST PRICKS ON THIS SITE CAN GO ON AND ON ABOUT HOW RIGHT YOU GUY ARE THAT TR00 KVLT BM NO LONGER EXISTS. THIS IS FOR YOUR TOP 5 PICKS FOR BEST BLACK METAL BANDS.
on that note

1 - borknagar
2 - emperor
3 - immortal
4 - acoustic fucking mayhem
5 - dimmu borgir