MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-11-29, 22:12
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Which drummers do one footed blasts? (and did they make any instructional vids?)

Well, I'm looking for names of drummers who do one footed blasts (preferably with no triggers) and any instructional vids on the subject. I'm not talking about "cheat blasts" (eventhough I think that name is stupid, if it sounds like a blast, it's a damn blast).Just give me the band names please (I think it's obvious that I'm looking for bands who's CDs and tabs I can easily obtain, not some obscure metal bands from Uzbekistan or something). Thank you much in advance, my pretties.

Old 2004-11-29, 22:25
guitar_demon
MotörCat

cheat blasts?
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2004-11-29, 22:30
The Execrator
Noob lud

I think almost every drummer for Nile used one footed blast. Derek Roddy has a video out. He triggers though. Malevolent Creations drummer does one footed blasts. I dont know any others. Everytime i try to see if the drummer is using one or 2 feet, the other instruments are to loud(other than Malevolent Creation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2004-11-29, 22:35
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
cheat blasts?

I belive shes talking about when instead of using just one foot, you split it up between both feet. Hopefully that makes sence

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2004-11-30, 02:22
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

No, I'm talking about splitting foot work in half.

Old 2004-11-30, 02:52
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

THE KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111oneoneoneoneone

Old 2004-11-30, 02:55
Credit to Dementia
Supreme Metalhead

Derek Roddy does do one-footed blasts and has a video out (I'm not sure if he covers blasts on it, though), but he also triggers. Pete Sandoval does one-footed blasts and didn't trigger until Formulas, but has no video out. I know Hellhammer does one-footed blasts, but I don't know anything else about him. I'd expect most top-tier extreme metal drummers (all of whom should be in easily accessible bands, by extreme metal standards) to do one-footed blasts, and most of the older ones to have at least gone a long while without triggering, but I don't really know. I've definitely never heard of a drum video geared towards death metal drumming other than Roddy's.

Old 2004-11-30, 03:29
DEAD
Post-whore

I'm pretty sure Derek Roddy triggers because once double bass gets so fast (up in the 230+ BPM range) the clarity of notes deminish. And considering the song "King of All Kings" is like 250 all the way through, he has a reason to trigger.
Comforting silence

Old 2004-11-30, 03:43
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

and plus triggering helps keep 2 basses nicely in tune....

erm flo does one footed blasts unless he is gravity blasting erm I know he has a video floating around somewhere.

erm nmost extreme drummers do it one footed although I think nick did it with 2, but good luck in finding videos!

you migh wanna check out derek's forum, it has some cool shit there

Old 2004-11-30, 19:41
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
No, I'm talking about splitting foot work in half.

Thats what i was talking about

Quote:

Old 2004-11-30, 19:47
The Execrator
Noob lud

Derrek does trigger his bass drums. Theres like 2 whole threads arguing about derrek roddy and triggers. Also theres a thread that has info on the derek roddy video. He does cover blast beats. I found ordering info on an interview with him so you could probably search derek roddy and find it. And yes, Flo from cryptopsy has a video out.

Quote:

Old 2004-11-30, 22:17
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Yay Cryptopsy! What kind of stuff is on that video?

Old 2004-11-30, 22:31
Credit to Dementia
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Yay Cryptopsy! What kind of stuff is on that video?

I did a search and found this description on the Pearl site, written before it was recorded:

This well documented experience in extreme metal drumming will cover such topics as warm ups, basics of speed drumming, endurance excercises, creative rythms, and much more including different drum solos and play along segments for some of Cryptopsy’s most popular songs.

I wonder what Cryptopsy's most popular songs may be. That should definitely include blast technique, getting speed way up very cleanly, etc. There's probably a better description of it out there, I just liked the last bit.

Old 2004-12-01, 04:01
Inmykingdomcold
New Blood

tim Yeung does the one footed blast.

Old 2004-12-01, 04:16
GuitarDrummer87
New Blood

In the new Kataklsym album "Serenity in fire" the drummer does very fast blasting with single kick(I'm pretty sure he is doing one handed snare roles tho). Other Kataklysm drummers do it too. I think that i read somewhere that Flo from Cryptopsy covers a couple songs from their upcomming album on his instructional video, so it should have some blasting parts.
http://www.kataklysm.net http://www.cryptopsy.net

Old 2004-12-01, 11:04
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

erm Slit your guts would probably be their most popular song (it is my favourite)

as for Kataklysm I used to think he was doing a snare roll until I saw the video and saw that it was a gravity blast beat.

The new album of Kataklysm the track the ambassador of pain has some of the fastest gravity and DB work I have EVER heard, it left me speachless (which is a hard thing to do nowadays)

Old 2004-12-01, 21:10
The Execrator
Noob lud

Interesting. I'll look into the Flo video too

Quote:

Old 2004-12-01, 23:50
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Cool, I trust Cryptopsy a lot more than I would trust Derek Roddy to make a useful video, so I'm going to buy the Flo video first.

Old 2004-12-02, 01:15
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

hmmm I would say Derek is better than Flo, but not by much, Derek is more versatile

and for your info Flo triggers his kicks too.

Old 2004-12-02, 04:08
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

SHIT

Old 2004-12-02, 07:20
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
erm Slit your guts would probably be their most popular song (it is my favourite)

as for Kataklysm I used to think he was doing a snare roll until I saw the video and saw that it was a gravity blast beat.

The new album of Kataklysm the track the ambassador of pain has some of the fastest gravity and DB work I have EVER heard, it left me speachless (which is a hard thing to do nowadays)

Although not really a fan of the band, you're right: that song has some fucking fast drumming.

Zabek from Yattering does one footed blasts, he must because he's often choking the hi-hat while blasting at furious speeds. Check out Yattering's Creative Chaos DVD, it's like an instructional drum video in itself. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't trigger either (at least live).

Last edited by Cloaca : 2004-12-02 at 07:24.

Old 2004-12-02, 20:38
The Execrator
Noob lud

I would trust Derek Roddy more than Flo. Im not saying Flo's bad(hes like 10 times better than me), but Derek is hired to play gigs with alot of bands and some arnt even metal. He has experience in music other than metal.

Quote:

Old 2004-12-03, 05:20
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

I would trust Zabek over both of them. His background is mainly jazz, he consideres himself a jazz drummer rather than a metal drummer. And what i've seen from Flo and Derek is nowhere as good as what I've seen Zabek do (as incredible as they are, this guy is inhuman). It's just a bit of a shame Yattering aren't as well known as Hate Eternal or Cryptopsy.

Old 2004-12-03, 09:45
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

well derek only plays 10% metal (the man said so himself) and what I love about derek is he is also fairly humble, for example he freely admits that cindy black man (lenny kravitz) WASTES him when it comes to technique etc.

as for you BC, Triggering is not cheating, mainly it is to make the fast notes more audible, just like you would amp up a guitar and switch the pick ups for soloing, and it is also keep everything in tune, when you get 2 bass drums and spend fucking hours trying to get them in tune, you will understand (I have recently joined that club and now want to get me some triggers)

I would get both of these videos and also if you can find it, there is one of frost doing some blast beats if you can find it, and that has a good 10 seconds worth of video of his leg action, it taught me how to play heel up etc.

Old 2004-12-04, 10:02
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I'm not saying that triggering is cheating, I just don't want to do it. I also don't think that using a double pedal is cheating, or that cheat blasts are cheating, but I simply don't want to have to do it. That simple. For tuning, using a single drum doesn't change much except the way it looks.

The reason I want to do single footed blasts is highly personal, it's my major goal right now. What I sometimes do is I force myself to adapt instead of building up (unlike my general "baby steps" strategy). I could start off with a double pedal and move on to single foot blasting, but I won't, because I decided to push myself that way.

Old 2004-12-05, 01:04
Credit to Dementia
Supreme Metalhead

Would it really affect the technique they were teaching if they triggered? I can understand not wanting to do it, but there should still be a lot to get out of their videos, even if the drummers are triggering.

Old 2004-12-05, 01:46
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yes, I doubt you wont learn anything from someone who triggers.

Quote:

Old 2004-12-05, 09:28
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Yes, but I'd rather learn from someone who had to adapt to working without triggers, that way their situation would be more similar to the one I want to end up in, so I'd rather go for the trigger-less videos than videos with triggers, that doesn't mean I will avoid videos with triggers if I have no alternative. Anyway, I'm going on a major shopping spree for my drums soon so I'll pick up a few goodies along with the new single kicker pedal I want to get (IRON COBRA HOO YEAH ).

Old 2004-12-05, 19:24
The Execrator
Noob lud

Yes, i know what you mean. Im also getting an iron cobra double pedal soon. Do you only play a single pedal?

Quote:

Old 2004-12-05, 21:13
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Axis ist kreig! Theyre the most versitile pedals on the fucking market...

Old 2004-12-07, 00:25
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Yeah, I only want to do single. Iron Cobras are the best pedals I could find, I couldn't find axis, besides, I'm already in love with a nice strap drive iron cobra.

Old 2004-12-07, 00:43
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Yeah, youre an aussie right? Im not sure if axis distributes over there. Im also in concurrence with belt drive, its second to direct for me.

Old 2004-12-07, 21:18
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Yeah, I only want to do single. Iron Cobras are the best pedals I could find, I couldn't find axis, besides, I'm already in love with a nice strap drive iron cobra.

Is there a reason for you not playing a double pedal or double bass? Are you ever going to play double bass?

Quote:

Old 2004-12-08, 22:09
Bo-Dom
New Blood

Quote:
Well, I'm looking for names of drummers who do one footed blasts (preferably with no triggers) and any instructional vids on the subject. I'm not talking about "cheat blasts" (eventhough I think that name is stupid, if it sounds like a blast, it's a damn blast).Just give me the band names please (I think it's obvious that I'm looking for bands who's CDs and tabs I can easily obtain, not some obscure metal bands from Uzbekistan or something). Thank you much in advance, my pretties.

Uzbekistan....

Make me chuckle, sorry but i cant be no help to you.

~ Death Upon Us ~

R.I.P Dimebag - You'll always be missed

Old 2004-12-08, 22:18
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Death.... no blasts, but insane drumming to say the least.

Old 2004-12-08, 22:48
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb of god\m/
Is there a reason for you not playing a double pedal or double bass? Are you ever going to play double bass?

Yes, there is. No, I don't plan on using a double pedal any soon.

Old 2004-12-08, 23:25
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

ummm, decrepit birth has some pretty insane drumming... basically look for anything that has tim yeung drumming on it, its most likely a really good album with lightspeed drumming.

Old 2004-12-09, 00:58
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Quote:
Yeah, youre an aussie right? Im not sure if axis distributes over there. Im also in concurrence with belt drive, its second to direct for me.

*justs sits there playing couble bass with his axis longboards*

if they deliver to NZ they WILL deliver to Aus, NZ is more onscure than aus.

as for strap drives, very smotth, but Direct drive just is more responsive and 'feely'

as for not double bassing until you have good work, it is a good idea, I used to blast one footed back when I only had a single kick, I also did lots of funky bass drum stuff, but I do wish I had got a double pedal earlier, because you wuill notice your right leg is really strong and your left lags like a biatch!

but either way as long as yuo eventually learn to play death properly, it is all good.

happy blasting!!!!

Old 2004-12-09, 12:09
The Execrator
Noob lud

Ive had my double pedal for almost 2 years and i just learned how to blast like 3 months ago! Ive been practicing alot lately and im getting the derick Roddy video soon

Quote: