MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2004-11-09, 11:02
New Blood

Question Beaters and Bass Drum Heads

I've been playing drums for about ten years, and I feel confident in my playing ability. But until resent, I've never really paid attention to how my drums sound. I am becoming more and more disapointed in the sound of my drums everyday. In particular, I HATE the washed out sound of my bass drum. I'd like to give it a more cutting attack and I've considered triggering my bass, but I don't have that kind of cash. What drum heads or bass drum beaters would you guys suggest?
Old 2004-11-09, 15:38
Noob lud

Try the EMAD bass drum head by Evans. It has 2 different sized styrofoam mufflers to get different sounds. I got it about 2 months ago and i think it kicks ass. I have felt beaters on my double pedal. Ive never played any other kind of beaters besides the Axis one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.
Old 2004-11-09, 22:42
Post-whore

Tighten up your batter and response head, and fill your bass full of slothes (experiment with how much is needed) this will give a nice Duh! it sounds killer when miked up!!
Old 2004-11-09, 22:55
New Blood

Thumbs up

Thanks for your insites! I've tightened my heads and filled my bass drum with two old pillows. I like the initial thud, but now there's also a real vulgar twangy sound. "I guess you win some and you lose some."
Old 2004-11-10, 00:35
Post-whore

vulgar twang? there shouldn't be, check for anything that is loose on your bass, or check your snare wire, it won't be your bass twanging!
Old 2004-11-10, 08:48
New Blood

I turned off my snare and checked around the entire kit to see if anything was loose, and that twang was still there!
Old 2004-11-10, 14:55
New Blood

BASS HEADS : Aquarian Super kick II on beater and an Evans hydrolic (oil between 2 plies) is what i have on my 26" ludwig. i have a fuckin incredible sound now. especially with double pedal. they are not cheap but they will last. as far as tom heads, you'll probably have to try just about anything and everything. i have...........gone with remo pinstripe along with those "little blue gel things" to muffle heads just a little. good luck
Old 2004-11-10, 16:59
Noob lud

26" bass drum?!Thats what Paul from Cannibal Corpse uses. Thats pretty big compared to what im used to.

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.
Old 2004-11-10, 19:43
New Blood

Yeah! I only have a 22" bass drum.
Old 2004-11-18, 23:53
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

i like aquarian super kicks... best bassdrum heads ever imo...

try loosening the back head also.

also, what kind of beaters do you have? my drummer just got new beaters... they're the big wooden kind... it has more click and "sub" attack/thud now, the volume has also increased and i find it to be more comfortable to play slower/medium tempo double bass.

he has a super kick I on the front head with a remo double kick pad, and the back head is a ported aquarian(also has a muffling ring.)

nothing is in his bassdrum and it sounds awesome...
Old 2004-11-18, 23:56
Post-whore

Send a message via ICQ to h4x5k8 Send a message via AIM to h4x5k8 Send a message via MSN to h4x5k8 Send a message via Yahoo to h4x5k8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
i like aquarian super kicks... best bassdrum heads ever imo...

try loosening the back head also.

also, what kind of beaters do you have? my drummer just got new beaters... they're the big wooden kind... it has more click and "sub" attack/thud now, the volume has also increased and i find it to be more comfortable to play slower/medium tempo double bass.

he has a super kick I on the front head with a remo double kick pad, and the back head is a ported aquarian(also has a muffling ring.)

nothing is in his bassdrum and it sounds awesome...

do you like play every instrument or somthing, you seem to know everything about everything
Old 2004-11-19, 10:34
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x5k8
do you like play every instrument or somthing, you seem to know everything about everything

i mainly play guitar...

but i also play bass, drums, a little keys, and i pretend to sing
Old 2004-11-19, 15:23
Noob lud

My bass drum head is mfufled and i also have 2 old shirts stuffed inside. My sound is good but could be better. I have no idea how tight my bass drum heads are. I never realy fooled around with them much.

Quote:
Old 2004-11-19, 16:54
New Blood

I use the wooden beaters.
Old 2004-11-20, 15:07
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

i love the aggresive sound of the wooden beaters... it's also louder and cuts more too.

i'm not a fan of putting stuff in bass drums... muffling rings are the way to go. aquarians pretty much come stock with dampening built on. evans is also making a similar design... i don't know if remo makes any premuffled heads, but i know you can buy a remo muffling system for your bassdrum.

my friend has a fucking sandbag in his bassdrum, it weighs a fucking ton, but suprisingly sounds really good with his remo heads...

i find a looser head will give more click and punchy sound, though it might not be as deep or create as much volume and overtones. on my drummers heads, his back head is fairly loose, and his front head is medium, to tight on the front and your beaters will bounce off really quick and make it harder to play...
it sounds really good with his wooden beaters. i can't even beleive what a difference it's made. he used to just have the stock dw beaters, then he decided he didn't like them, to big or something, so he swapped them with a friend for some pacific's beaters(smaller), then he flipped them around to so it's the plastic side.... then one day, i don't know how, but they broke so i told him to buy these big red wooden ones because they looked like fucking apples... i was joking of course, but he bought them and they sound fantastic.

so if you want a really aggressive sound i suggest wooden beaters.
Old 2004-11-21, 03:32
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
or axis beaters, i dont know what theyre made of, but they sound good and have good rebound.
Old 2004-11-21, 18:42
Noob lud

They are made out of plastic. They are acually pretty small. xdislexicx, you seem to know alot about drums

Quote:
Old 2004-11-26, 14:44
New Blood

Question newbee

i know this is really late but if any body is still paying attention to this than how do those plastic beeters with the rubber on them sound (speed ball for example) and how are triggers used?
Old 2004-11-26, 18:48
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
go to the triggers thread...
Old 2004-12-13, 18:18
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyDick
i know this is really late but if any body is still paying attention to this than how do those plastic beeters with the rubber on them sound (speed ball for example) and how are triggers used?

I see you only have one post and i bet you arnt going to come back to see this but whatever. The iron cobra pedal i got yesterday came with 3 different beaters. Felt, Wood, and Rubber. I tried all of them out. I think that felt sucks compared to wood and rubber. Its to quiet and low sounding. I tried the rubber and realy liked them. I tried the wood which was good but i picked rubber. I was about 2 minutes into a song playing medium tempo double bass and i noticed a bunch of the rubber stuff coming off the beater. I stopped and looked at it and it was wore down alot. I felt it and it was really hot. I dont know if that happens with all rubber beaters. I also have a plastic impact pad on my bass drum so that may have had something to do with it. So, i just switched bass to wood. But the rubber beaters sound realy good. Alot of punch.

Quote: