MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2004-10-27, 17:12
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to arvina
my first stuff was my dads.he had/has a 1978 fender bassman 70 head,an acoustic(company name) 4x12 cab(bought it from a guy who somehow we now live next too)and a yamaha guitar.all of it not bad.i bough a dod death metal distortion pedal and it was pretty cool.nothin great.so my parents put in 100$ for guitar and 100$for an amp.right now i have a schecter c-1 classic(very nice)and a marshall avt-275(pawn sho0 280$)all the sacond shit i bought on my own mowing lawns movin haybales,acctaully digging ditches(hard work)im only 15 so no one will hire me.but im gettin there.wow now that i look at this post it looks really stupid im posting anyways
Old 2004-10-27, 17:15
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

thats cool, at least you worked for it and shit, that would make you more proud of owning it I guess, if you get everything, it's no fun.

nice choice on the schecter btw!
Old 2004-10-27, 17:25
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
yeah, i dunno, ive been really down on my playing lately. Its like it seems that everyone is better, everywhere i look. I practice alot, but never go anywhere.
Old 2004-10-27, 17:25
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

got a teacher? or friends to play with?
Old 2004-10-27, 19:39
Post-whore

no to both, my friends are mostly nerdy metal heads whod rather play videogames and listen to dissection than play guitar, or have a band for that matter.
Old 2004-10-27, 20:33
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

i've been playing since i was like 12-13-ish... started doing the band thing when i was like 14-15-ish.... back then everybody was just scooped mids and drop D so it wasnt really a challenge for me.... the last couple years i've actually been jamming with real musicians and stuff... i've gotten so much better than i was before. best way to progress is to jam with people at or above your skill level.

as funny as it sounds, me stuggling to play one of my guitarist's riffs just makes me better.

it's a thing of time... but some things help it out... in jr. high and high school i took a bunch of music classes(general music, percussion ensemble, guitar, AP theory, ect)... i've been taking private guitar lessons from day one(still am). i've been taking private drum lessons for about 3 years now.. and in the end it all helps my guitar playing.

it's always going to seem like there are more people out there that are better than you because they're doing things you don't and doing things you can't, it's something for you to strive for... there will always be better, but eventually you'll become more comfortable with your abilities when you stop and think, "well, i'm no steve vai but i can play better than half these fucks on my radio."...
Old 2004-10-27, 20:39
Crusher of Skulls

Send a message via AIM to philkilla Send a message via MSN to philkilla Send a message via Yahoo to philkilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
... there will always be better, but eventually you'll become more comfortable with your abilities when you stop and think, "well, i'm no steve vai but i can play better than half these fucks on my radio."...

Already there

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.
Old 2004-10-27, 23:05
Post-whore

for the most part i can play alot better than those fucks on the radio. The thing im learning right now is Decrepit Births Prelude to the Apocalypse, i really like the song, and im stuck on the alternate picking section, but i got out the metronome tonight and practiced my multi string alternate picking till i got to about 115 at sixteenth notes.
Old 2004-10-28, 02:25
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
no to both, my friends are mostly nerdy metal heads whod rather play videogames and listen to dissection than play guitar, or have a band for that matter.

that makes it harder, like xdx said, playing with guys who're better then you helps out to strife for new skills, same does a teacher and ofcourse a band because you want to get your kickass riffs in.

Hell I started like you too I guess, I'm in a signed band now!! do remember that guitar is not only about technique, its about having fun too, I mean, it's nice to know some chops, but it's not the place to start off, I like to mix some more melodical technical stuff with brutal riffs and hardcore which I played a lot in my yought, I'm happy I got all these influences down, and its mainly because I had a lot of fun as a kid playing my favorite songs on guitar.
Grab your guitar, print some tabs and play along, uppen the difficulty level every time and see if you can still play everything tight!
Old 2004-10-28, 05:12
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

Everyone in my neighbourhood listens to crappy pop music and the only bassist doesnt like metal at all, i do play with my friends punk band but its not directly hard and i never get to play metal because the other guitarist cant play it. The drummer is cool though, we jam a little every rehearsal. And i have phoned a music school so i can take lessons but ill have to wait till next year.
Old 2004-10-28, 05:25
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

thats cool you'll learn loads if it is a good school, I work at one, teach bass. But I still take guitar lessons there myself.
Old 2004-10-28, 05:58
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

Yeah but its not long lessons theyre like 20-30 minutes and you get homework. A friend of mine who just started there said it was nice and you could choose what you wanted to learn. I want to learn some theory like notes, scales and all that. And maybe some playing styles.
Old 2004-10-28, 06:08
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Well, my teacher allways lets me play what I want but I learned jazz/blues, classic rock and even spanish music too, because I wanted to learn a bit of that.

theory can come in handy too, if you're stuck with it your teacher can help you a lot, but there's a lot of theory sites on the internet too which you could use to get a headstart.
My lessons are the same length, but I don't ever do my homework anymore, its just jamming with my teacher and trying to outplay him, it's good fun and sometimes I pick up new tricks, that guy really rules. hell if he didn't I wouldn't be taking lessons from him for such a long time. there's allways room for progress though!
Old 2004-10-28, 08:01
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

me and trans have tried a king v on a triple rec, trans's 5150 pees all over it. Mesa's are way overpriced, they are real nice, but definately not worth the money.
Old 2004-10-28, 08:41
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

a 5150 pisses over a triple rectifier?

did you have your ears shut or did you forgot to tweak the amp?
Old 2004-10-28, 10:22
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

i personally prefer the rectos, but you can't honestly say one is better than the other... they're two different amps... apples and oranges....
the recto just has more options so you can do more with it... and imo i like everything it can do more than the 5150...

don't get me wrong, i love 5150's. but there is a reason my guitarist is selling his for a triple recto.
Old 2004-10-28, 10:38
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabbefusk
Yeah but its not long lessons theyre like 20-30 minutes and you get homework. A friend of mine who just started there said it was nice and you could choose what you wanted to learn. I want to learn some theory like notes, scales and all that. And maybe some playing styles.

my lessons are about 30 minutes each. the thing with the homework is that you actually have to practice and work on the stuff in your spare time, if you just do it all in that 30 minute lesson good luck increasing your skills.
i'm comfortable with how good i am, but i can only get better, i can just find something i want to do, say for example classical/jazz(i have a love for chromatics and weird melodies and a theory that alot of death/grind/black metal is extremely based off of classic and jazz/blues)... my teacher can give me some stuff to look into, chords, techniques, the theory behind it, ect... it makes me better.
may drum lessons make me a better drummer, but they help me all around in the rythem/time keeping category... which imo is just as important as playing the notes.
then say when i've had my fill on that i want to look into some tapping stuff, he'll show me some cool warm ups and practice exercises... then it's up to me to make it go far...

this is my third teacher. the first one was some middle age lady who played only acoustics... after about 2 years it got to the point she wasnt really teaching me anything new, so i changed to a different teacher, who was determined to make me a mad man at blues shit... it was going well for a little while, but then he moved... now i'm with this hippie dude who is in a beatles coverband... he's kinda weird, but very talented.

next teacher i'm looking into is a dude that plays two guitars at once... he's a local dude, and he's absolutely amazing. he'll have one guitar with thick strings and lower tuning that he plays the bass lines/rythem stuff with one hand(tapping of course), then the other is for the melodies... incredible. i can only imagine what he could teach me.
Old 2004-10-28, 11:37
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
a 5150 pisses over a triple rectifier?

did you have your ears shut or did you forgot to tweak the amp?

We tried screwing with it but it didn't seem to have that much crunch.
Old 2004-10-28, 11:43
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

use the 'gain' button

my teacher is like Vai, really fast and a tapping freak, he's pretty good with melodic stuff but he can play anything you give him, his idols are malmsteen and batio. he loves those neo-classical soloshit too. He's great to learn from, he's been a professional musician too so he gives good tips for leads and stuff. I don't personally know anyone who's better them him when it comes to technique and pure skill
Old 2004-10-28, 11:50
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Tapping is usually for people who cant shred (Hammett) but in Vai's case, his tapping fucking rules. And Frank Blackfire's i like. But Blackfire and Vai are a world apart.