MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2004-10-21, 20:01
Crusher of Skulls

Send a message via AIM to philkilla Send a message via MSN to philkilla Send a message via Yahoo to philkilla
Personal Experience with Triple Rec.

Does anyone own a MESA BOOGIE Triple Rectifier. I'm am considering getting one
some day and you can only take so much from dumb advertisements.....and I want to know REAL opinions on them....all I have right now is a Randall Warhead and some other shit.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.
Old 2004-10-21, 21:10
Post-whore

I tried a 2 channel triple recto and i got to say it was pretty good. Expensive as hell though. I havent tried the 3 channel recto though. Still i think its pretty damn expensive.
Old 2004-10-21, 22:56
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

amazing amps.... i like the cleans alot for a high gain amp...
my guitarist is selling his 5150 so he can get a triple recto... the recto just has a world of sounds to with, where as the 5150 and similar amps only have a few.
Old 2004-10-21, 22:59
New Blood

I tried the single rectoverb combo (the rectoverb) and I thought it sounded thin as fuck.
Old 2004-10-22, 07:41
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyOne
I tried the single rectoverb combo (the rectoverb) and I thought it sounded thin as fuck.

how loud were you playing it? you probably have to much presence and treble... mesa's depend greatly on the user's ability to eq them.
Old 2004-10-22, 16:09
Post-whore

The mesa i tried was pretty cool because the one i tried was connected to a ashly PQX571 seven band parametric equalizer. But i think it didnt make a big difference because there was another guy on the other side of the store playing the same amp and it sounded just as good.
Old 2004-10-22, 16:21
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

tried a dual and triple this week, tested them through a whole load of different cabs. one tip, if you want the mesa sound, get the matching cab.

it's weird, but the mesa cabs have their own tone, most cabs do but their's just have a more distinctive sound.

As for mesa's, I think they're not worth their money, but ofcourse, if its exactly what you're looking for, go for it.

They have a high-gainy sound but can get bottomy if you use the eq right, they're pretty noisy with passive pickups, but ofcourse only at high volumes. the cleans on it are 'allright' but nothing to write home about IMO, a triamp, soldano SLO100 or rivera knucklehead sounds better clean. (played those next to it to compare..)

If you get a mesa triple or dual recto, you're getting it for the distortion channel, because thats what makes it rock. It's comparable to most high-gain amps but it has a more open sound, which some people hate, but most people love.
Ofcourse, they're all the rage nowadays, but they're good amps, but if you look at it price wise, I'de definetly get something else that sounds better for the same ammount of money.

if I had to choose, I'de prolly get the dual instead of the triple, I liked it a bit better, ofcourse the triple has a bit more headroom, but you just won't use 150 tube watts. Let alone 100 tube watts. I've played a bunch of gigs with 60 tube watts and I never had it past 70% of its volume and that was cutting through the mix like a chainsaw so I had to turn it down

I had a feeling my Engl Savage would sound great through a mesa cab, so I tried that too, (only with a savage 120) it did sound neat, but it lost the engl sound and traded that in for a mix with the mesa sound, sounded great, but I like the engl sound more, so I might get rid of my marshall 1960 and get a matching engl cab with v30's.
Old 2004-10-22, 16:38
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
tried a dual and triple this week, tested them through a whole load of different cabs. one tip, if you want the mesa sound, get the matching cab.

i think v30's sound really good with recto's because they're so midrangey and recto's are a bit scoopy... so it helps balance..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
it's weird, but the mesa cabs have their own tone, most cabs do but their's just have a more distinctive sound.

i think they're built with solid peices of wood... and they're oversized.... and of course they're heavy as shit(in more ways than one)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
As for mesa's, I think they're not worth their money, but ofcourse, if its exactly what you're looking for, go for it.

that's what i think... i love the tone, but only some are actually worth the money they go for, my old vtwin rack preamp was a dream of mesa tone... and it was only like $300 used... i'd say it's pretty worth it... i can't say as much for recto's or the triaxis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
If you get a mesa triple or dual recto, you're getting it for the distortion channel, because thats what makes it rock. It's comparable to most high-gain amps but it has a more open sound, which some people hate, but most people love.
Ofcourse, they're all the rage nowadays, but they're good amps, but if you look at it price wise, I'de definetly get something else that sounds better for the same ammount of money.

i think they have pretty good cleans for high gain amps....(better than most marshall's and way better then 5150's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
if I had to choose, I'de prolly get the dual instead of the triple, I liked it a bit better, ofcourse the triple has a bit more headroom, but you just won't use 150 tube watts. Let alone 100 tube watts. I've played a bunch of gigs with 60 tube watts and I never had it past 70% of its volume and that was cutting through the mix like a chainsaw so I had to turn it down

my guitarist has a 120w tube 5150, and i have the 100w(2x50w) peavey classic 50/50 or sometimes i play my buddy's 100w jcm 900... we quite literally play with our amps dimed... he's going for a triple recto(as opposed to the dual he first fell in love with) and i'm going for a mesa 2:95... we need more headroom and volume reserves...
Old 2004-10-22, 23:07
Crusher of Skulls

Send a message via AIM to philkilla Send a message via MSN to philkilla Send a message via Yahoo to philkilla
Well, I've been stuck in the army for the past two years and I have a Randall Warhead at home that has definitely got some balls but I have only only played it through a cab like once (a randall cab also)....but I know now I definitely want a fucking ballsy ass tube tone....because solid state only goes so far.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.
Old 2004-10-23, 00:08
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla666
I have a Randall Warhead at home that has definitely got some balls

Old 2004-10-23, 12:51
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx

i think they have pretty good cleans for high gain amps....(better than most marshall's and way better then 5150's)

my guitarist has a 120w tube 5150, and i have the 100w(2x50w) peavey classic 50/50 or sometimes i play my buddy's 100w jcm 900... we quite literally play with our amps dimed... he's going for a triple recto(as opposed to the dual he first fell in love with) and i'm going for a mesa 2:95... we need more headroom and volume reserves...

Well, that's true, they do sound a lot better then marshalls and peaveys, but hell they're in a different league with high-end tops. Even though Mesa is the most well known name, it should be better, though I've heard way better cleans from other boutique amps, I'de say if you get a mesa you're getting it for the distortion, there is where it stands out, you know?

That is a lot of damn volume you actively use there. I've played a whole range of gigs with my 60w tube amp and it never seemed to run out of volume/tone. Anyways, it's a matter of how loud you play, I allways thought we play pretty loud, but you guys must make ears bleed, haha!
compared to my top, the rack didn't sound as loud for some weird ass reason. the top just sounds better. thats why my rack is my backup now. I'm thinking of getting a savage 120 or special edition in about a year and getting the 60w as backup and selling the rack, since I know a guy who wants to buy it off me, as does he want to buy my RG too. (can only sell it once I get my Ran in) but I don't want to get rid of it, I love that RG.

and for the cabs, even if you try an engl v30 cab, it still sounds waaay different, mesa cabs have more mids and highs, whilst engls have more balls, though the mesa cabs are great in combination with the mesa tops. Engl amps with mesa cabs sound delicious too, I'de highly recommend trying a setup like that. I tried both the powerball and savage on the mesa cab, I don't know, I stil like the savage better, has two kt88's though. IMO, one of the most versatile tube tops with great clear -hard punching- distortion. But hey, before I go off in another pro-engl rant, I'll shut up
Old 2004-10-23, 14:11
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
That is a lot of damn volume you actively use there. I've played a whole range of gigs with my 60w tube amp and it never seemed to run out of volume/tone. Anyways, it's a matter of how loud you play, I allways thought we play pretty loud, but you guys must make ears bleed, haha!
compared to my top, the rack didn't sound as loud for some weird ass reason. the top just sounds better.

that's what i was thinking, we practice in about a master bedroom sized room which padding and dampening blakets on the walls.... each through two 4x12's... our dummer plays fucking loud and his kit is made out of harder wood so it projects, not to mention the 18" & 19" crashes and tones of double bass(we mic the kick and make him play it alot to help make up for not having a bass player)....

in one way i'm delighted to be able to crank that shit because it sounds the best like that, but then my cleans grit up(sometimes i want it, sometimes i don't)... i think alot of it has to do with the output of the preamp going into the poweramp(though i have it dimed too.)
we don't really notice much difference in volume on his head btween 6 and 10 but we just dime it anyways.
i'm a volume freak.
Old 2004-10-24, 17:18
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SixfeetUnder420
I have a tripple rectifier and it is probably the best amp ive played through. the good thing about them is that they are really versitle and loud. I really suggest you to get one.
Old 2004-10-24, 17:26
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixfeetUnder420
I have a tripple rectifier and it is probably the best amp ive played through. the good thing about them is that they are really versitle and loud. I really suggest you to get one.

you're 15 kid. how the fuck did you ever get that kinda money.
Old 2004-10-24, 18:03
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Its America...
Every kid is a fucking millionare besides me, when he turns 16 im sure his parents will buy him a car with fucking heated seats too.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-10-24, 18:10
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

fuck me, I'm moving over there!
Old 2004-10-24, 18:38
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

he might be bullshitting...

but yes, i see it all the time... "mommy, i'll never ask you for anything ever again if you buy me the most expensivist amp in guitar center."
so of course for his birthday, he gets his rectifier, it's only a dual so he sobs a bit because they sold his roadking two weeks earlier to another brat.

two weeks later, "daddy, i really wish i had a prs..."
so for christmas he gets his custom 22.

occassionally they actually earn it...

my first amp i stole/was given to me... crate gfx30 30w s.s. 1x12 combo... it was at my friend's house... a friend of his left it there and he hadnt seen the dude for like a year... i asked him if i could have it... so i took it.
the fx didnt work, and the distortion channel was kinda busted...
bad amp.
ironically the way i lost this amp was i let a friend barrow it... he left it at a friends house, that kid pawned it... i wasnt too heart broken.

my first half stack(2nd amp) was a crate g1600xl... pretty good amp.
my parents helped me out a bit...
$300 used from a friend, i paid half and the rest was my bday present from my parents.... that's all i got for my 14th birthday....

i always busted ass to get my gear... before i was old enough to get a real job it was mowing lawns in the summer, shoveling driveways in the winter, paper boy, whatever...

i'm glad i earned it though, playing mediocre gear at first helps you appreciate the little things... i can actually make shitty peices of gear sound pretty good now because of the experience...

you can make something as shitty as a dod grunge pedal through a gfx30 sound good then think of the possibilities you have with nicer amps....
Old 2004-10-24, 18:41
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

mmm.

my first amp was a laney, a small combo and I worked my ass of to get it, got a peavey bandit after that, owned a jcm900 for a short while and some other stuff, then I got onto the rack gear and the engl head, but its probably not gonna stop here.

I had to work for everything I bought, I never got shit from my parents. But at least I get a fair ammount of cash for my weekend job that I got next to my study, it's enough to save up a bit every month and get new shit.
Old 2004-10-24, 18:45
The Stings of Conscience

Send a message via AIM to Rapture
im rather in between on the subject. my parents will buy me stuff like that, but its only when warranted. like, they bought me my first guitar (about $200) because it was something i wanted to do and they supported it. however, i bought my second one. they bought me my first amp, i bought the second. so its like, they support what i want to do, but they dont spoil me.

onto the triple recto.
i dont own one, but i have played it.
tone = amazing. quite a beauty to play, i loved every second
value = eh, not quite so amazing. DAMN expensive. ill take a 5150 any day
Old 2004-10-24, 18:49
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

as for support from your parents, yeah, I'de be the cool thing to do as a parent. I don't know, when I was a kid my parents didn't care much about it, but if I'de ever get kids I would support them at the start, as in first amp, first guitar.

As for value, it's whatever turns your clock, if the triple recto is the amp for you, then it's worth the money.

I mean, I'm up for buying another top next year, and its gonna be around 2000 bucks for sure, it's worth it for me, if you look at it in a sensitive way, it's not. but if I think it's worth it, fuck it, I'll get it anyways. it's just a matter of how far you can push it, I can't afford it right now partially because I've got my custom guitar on the way and all..