MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Who is the better Band?
Slayer 51 72.86%
Pantera 19 27.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-10-07, 11:15
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Angel of Death is kinda like that. The solo in that song is very clean.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2004-10-07, 13:24
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuNioj0369
It's funny, I remember the first time I heard songs like "Raining Blood" and "Piece by Piece", it was like a frigging adrenaline rush. My first thoughts were "HOLY SHIT! I HAVE TO GET THAT FUCKING ALBUM!" I also remember when I heard Pantera for the first time. I heard "Walk" and I thought it was cool at the time, but no where NEAR the rush I got from Slayer.

On another note, to call Kerry King sloppy is ridiculous. If you listen to the Live: DOA record, King's playing is spot on as where Hanneman wavers occasionally (although not bad at all).
Old 2004-10-07, 19:04
Supreme Metalhead

Have people been calling Kerry sloppy? I thought they just said he sucked (which I also disagree with, but it's a judgment call depending on what standard you use). You can't be sloppy and make it come out right, especially with the level of just plain oddity involved in his whammy bar usage and the precision with which he repeats it live. Though I don't have Decade of Agression or Live Agression around to confirm this.

Wait, I do have Live Undead (actually the first Slayer I ever heard). Hold on a minute, will you? Yeah, he's tight live.

John: have you seen Pantera live? They were pretty good live too, especially considering how drunk. Though a lot of it was the fact that Phil's so damn charismatic he could make the entire crowd pretend it was the mid-80s when metal was metal, men were men, and women were easily confused with hair metal band members. I don't know how it compares to Slayer, though, really, except that Slayer would never stop the show to talk for five or ten minutes at a time.
Old 2004-10-07, 19:43
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
...after seeing Slayer last night...

You bastard...
Old 2004-10-07, 19:48
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
...after seeing Slayer last night...

You bastard... Haha, just kidding, how was the set?
Back on topic...you had said three words made Slayer better than Pantera, Reign in Blood...you also forgot a few other groups of three words...Show No Mercy, Haunting the Chapel, South of Heaven...
Old 2004-10-07, 22:44
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to societys finest Send a message via Yahoo to societys finest
Slayer
Old 2004-10-07, 23:05
bugfucker strikes back.

Send a message via AIM to Dissection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Ok you Pantera fucks, death metal/black metal would not exist without Slayer..you owe them your lives.

Slayer > Pantera

BY A FUCKING MILE.

Awesome.
Old 2004-10-08, 00:34
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
Slayer... are forefathers, legends and true giants of metal. Pantera are good but I wouldn't say they were legendary by any means and they are certainly not pioneers of anything except for radically changing style in order to sell records.

Your stance on this is almost a mirror reflection of mine.
Old 2004-10-08, 04:48
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credit to Dementia
John: have you seen Pantera live? They were pretty good live too, especially considering how drunk. Though a lot of it was the fact that Phil's so damn charismatic he could make the entire crowd pretend it was the mid-80s when metal was metal, men were men, and women were easily confused with hair metal band members. I don't know how it compares to Slayer, though, really, except that Slayer would never stop the show to talk for five or ten minutes at a time.

I've not seen Pantera live but my brother has. In terms of shows he said the better gig was Pantera because he got to see Satyricon - he's a black metal fool, y'see. However in a straight Slayer Vs Pantera live show he said Slayer edged it.

SuNioj0369: Their set was great! Check the RTT and the tours forum for a better description.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Old 2004-10-08, 05:13
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
I've not seen Pantera live but my brother has. In terms of shows he said the better gig was Pantera because he got to see Satyricon - he's a black metal fool, y'see. However in a straight Slayer Vs Pantera live show he said Slayer edged it.

I don't know many people who Slayer wouldn't edge out at the least, from what I hear. I do know that opening for Slayer's like being first over the trenches. And even worse if you come onstage and muff the lyrics when Tom's voice goes on him. Bastards. From what I understand, though, Slayer basically let the music speak for itself, and quite eloquently, whereas it was unlikely that Phil could stop his drunken ramblings.

And I do see. I think I would've skipped Satyricon, were it me. Actually, I know I would have. I couldn't have sat through an hour of that. The irony of the situation could sustain me through Slipknot, but I'm really bad with black metal.
Old 2004-10-08, 13:03
bugfucker strikes back.

Send a message via AIM to Dissection
Satyricon aren't too bad. It not like going to see Marduk or Dark Funeral. Emperor and Satyricon aren't ANNOYING Black Metal.

Awesome.
Old 2004-10-08, 13:32
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRezendes
I generally don't get along with people who pretend to be knowledgable, especially when their limited knowledge it as blatantly low as his. He's obviously just around to stir trouble, to irritate people. Once I get to the point where it's obvious that somebody is like that, it's easier for me to not get irritated, because I know exactly what's going on.

Were you talking about Transient? You don't seem to like him too much. haha.
Old 2004-10-08, 13:42
Supreme Metalhead

I only moderately like late Emperor and really dislike Satyricon. I think it's Satyr's vocals. Or, if he's the guitarist, then somebody else's vocals. Fenris or something. Never a real name.

Chris was talking about NuMetalBastard.

Last edited by Credit to Dementia : 2004-10-08 at 20:32.
Old 2004-10-08, 14:27
Senior Metalhead

these both at one point were my favorite band, now thier not, but i think i like slayer a little more (very close). musicianship wise, they both arnt that great, but dimebag at least has a little bit of talent. i remeber reading kerry king saying something like...

"i dont think of my self as being a realy technicality player, more like a riff creater"

i laughed so hard when a read that.
..\......./../...\.....\.../../......./..\
....\.../../--.--\.....\/../_....../_._\
...././_._.........\.../../......../...\
../...................\/../_._..../......\
/............................................\
Old 2004-10-08, 14:30
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
I don't know many people who Slayer wouldn't edge out at the least, from what I hear. I do know that opening for Slayer's like being first over the trenches. And even worse if you come onstage and muff the lyrics when Tom's voice goes on him. Bastards. From what I understand, though, Slayer basically let the music speak for itself, and quite eloquently, whereas it was unlikely that Phil could stop his drunken ramblings.

I have seen both Pantera and Slayer many times. Pantera always gave a good show and well worth the money, but Slayer... What more do I need to say if you have seen them before. They are pure to their identity and they know what their purpose as a band is. They know they don't need to say a damn thing to the crowd in order to give a great show; just line up a wall of Marshalls, a drum kit, and one light bulb and you have a good Slayer stage setup. Like you said the music really speaks for itself. They will be around 10 more years from now as long as one of them are not involved in an accident, because Slayer is their life.

Phil was a great frontman for Pantera because he could focus all his energy into the vocals and into the crowds wants and mood, plus Pantera was really tight both musically and bandmate wise. Unfortunatly, Phil later alienated himself from the band and lost all care about anything but himself, evident by his egotistical ramblings; which happens with heavy drug use and fame, ei. Axel Rose. The era of Pantera has passed, along with many others, but Slayer still reigns forever more.
Old 2004-10-08, 15:58
Senior Metalhead

Dude...

You have absolutely no idea how disappointed I am in all of you that have picked Pantera over The Almighty Slayer. How could any of you think ill of Slayer after all they've done for Metal?...

Zamanu Muh Lal-Li Zi-Pa-Gurud-Zuneme-E
Igi-Nu Do-A-Hul Igi-Se-Zid-Gin

SAVIOUR TO NONE
Old 2004-10-08, 16:23
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
Pantera sucks.... I never liked em, or anything related to them, so slayer wins. Whats wrong with kings solos? they rule, random whammyage is the best! Rick Rozz did it on leprosy and Massacre, and hes not even as good as king, so random whammyage must be good.
Old 2004-10-08, 16:31
Noob lud

I like alot of Pantera and think they were an awesome band but Slayer just fuckin rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.
Old 2004-10-08, 18:30
Post-whore

Slayer lead is far more interesting than pantera. Dime is great, but I find some of his piched harmonics a little unnecessary (eg floods) and he just isnt as energetic as slayer.
KK is not sloppy. i have seen slayer. Jeff is better IMO, I prefer his to KKs.
Old 2004-10-08, 20:31
Post-whore

Quote:
Right. I couldn't believe how amazingly fast songs like 'South of Heaven,' 'Dead Skin Mask,' 'Seasons in the Abyss,' and 'Divine Intervention' are. Absolute blazing speed there.

We can't forget 213 and Scrum. Those were some slow freaking songs.

HOWEVER! When someone brings in the factor of speed between Slayer and Pantera, lets not forget that Pantera has alos had its share of slow songs.