MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Who is the better Band?
Slayer 51 72.86%
Pantera 19 27.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-10-05, 17:28
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Slayer = same fuckign fast paced down picked song.. with satanic lyrics such by a christian.

Right. I couldn't believe how amazingly fast songs like 'South of Heaven,' 'Dead Skin Mask,' 'Seasons in the Abyss,' and 'Divine Intervention' are. Absolute blazing speed there.

If I were going to be unfair and one-sided, I could leave out any Pantera songs that disagreed with my thesis - as we've seen some people do - and say they just played the same down-tuned, percussive angry songs over and over. It's one thing to have an opinion as to who is better or more diverse, it's quite another to say something easily proven false.

Of course, Pantera did show themselves to be more diverse and willing to experiment than Slayer, but just because Slayer experiment less than Pantera doesn't mean we received the same song from them over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
i still like slayer and always will, but will also ALWAYS get tried of them, unlike Pantera who i can listen to nonstop.

I burn out on both of them. I burn out on everybody, no matter how good or diverse; they've all got their 'things,' and after a while you need somebody else's.
Old 2004-10-05, 17:54
New Blood

Send a message via MSN to Righteous_Death
I personally like Pantera better, just because i've been listening to them more often then Slayer.
Old 2004-10-05, 18:29
Supreme Metalhead

Kerry King is a fucking awful lead player. Horrible. Henneman is better, but overall, (With a few exceptions, namely the solo in Seasons) Slayer's solo's really suck.

King's an alright rythm player, but in the end, it seems like alot of the time he gets too sloppy for his own good.

My vote still goes to Slayer though.
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind
Old 2004-10-05, 23:50
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuMetalBastard
Slayer. Although I don't have any of their cds and only one of Panteras, the music vid's of slayer are awesome. I love live performance music videos better than those stupid theming ones. Slayer is like the Birth mother of Death metal. Not saying they are a bunch of girls, but I hope I got my point across.

How would you know if Slayer were the "birth mother" of death metal when you don't even have any of their albums? If you don't even have any of their albums your opinion is entirely invalid. Again you are shooting your mouth off about something you have absolutely no knowledge about.

Slayer did not create death metal. Slayer never played death metal. Possessed were the first form of death metal, it evolved into bands like Death and Morbid Angel, and just kept on going. Possessed are the first definite death metal band, in the form of thrash/death. Definitely not Slayer.
Old 2004-10-06, 00:04
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Yeh Kerry is a horrible lead player, he does some cool unique stuff but most of it is the same random whammy wailing. Hannemen actually writes some decent solos.. too bad he can never play them live cause hes too fucking wasted.

I give slayer credit for one thing though..

Chemical Warfare, in 1984 that song must have just wowed people.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-10-06, 00:12
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
Yeh Kerry is a horrible lead player, he does some cool unique stuff but most of it is the same random whammy wailing. Hannemen actually writes some decent solos.. too bad he can never play them live cause hes too fucking wasted.

I give slayer credit for one thing though..

Chemical Warfare, in 1984 that song must have just wowed people.

"Haunting the Chapel" was a far better song with a far better solo.
Old 2004-10-06, 00:25
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRezendes
How would you know if Slayer were the "birth mother" of death metal when you don't even have any of their albums? If you don't even have any of their albums your opinion is entirely invalid. Again you are shooting your mouth off about something you have absolutely no knowledge about.

You really don't like this guy, eh Chris?

Anyway, regarding Slayer and death metal: Of course they didn't create it. There's an influence there, but it's always overstated because Slayer was always the dark bastardchild of the thrash scene. Possessed was the first band that could clearly be called death metal and they didn't come so long after Slayer that you could assume that influence. I'd assume later death metal bands were Slayer fans, but I'd question how much they let Slayer influence them. Slayer is a very distinct band, so much so that I'd assume that's where the complaint about every song sounding the same; Slayer could belch or fart and it would sound like Slayer. If you've ever written a riff with a little too much Slayer on the brain, it is blatant; everybody knows, or would if you didn't scrap it immediately because you don't want to sound like some derivative punk. When I listen to the first generation of death metallers, I don't really hear the overwhelming Slayer influence anyone in their right mind would avoid letting into their music. In a few years, maybe it will be fair game, like the recent bands that can still be creative with riffs taken out of Tony Iommi or Steve Harris's playbooks, but if you really sounded like Slayer immediately after they came out, you couldn't open for them and Venom on a nationwide tour without getting killed.

Oh, and I don't want to hear too much against Kerry's lead ability. Think of how out of place a really incredibly played, technically proficient lead would sound in their songs. Plus, come to think of it, early death metal lead players all had a bit of the KK whammy-wank and trem-pick around to them before they progressed. Maybe that's where I hear the influence.
Old 2004-10-06, 01:07
Registered Sex Offender

Send a message via AIM to MyOwnSavior
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRezendes

Slayer did not create death metal. Slayer never played death metal. Possessed were the first form of death metal, it evolved into bands like Death and Morbid Angel, and just kept on going. Possessed are the first definite death metal band, in the form of thrash/death. Definitely not Slayer.

Thank You!

Anyways, I would like Slayer better if it wasn't for Tom's dull ass singing. There is nothing great about his vocals at all. Plus I can't hear his bass at all, not like I can Rex. To me, it seems like the only reason I would keep him in the band is because he is insane at headbanging. They do have a good live show, I'll give them that. But I liked Pantera better live. Phil really gets behind the crowd. For me, Pantera all the way.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

“I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'.” - Early Cuyler
Old 2004-10-06, 10:06
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to ManOwaR
I personally like pantera much better. I like Slayer and all that but I listen much more to Pantera.
Old 2004-10-06, 10:49
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOwnSavior
Plus I can't hear his bass at all, not like I can Rex.

My one and only complaint about Slayer.

Listen to BassBehemoth, Slayer owns all your asses.
Old 2004-10-06, 13:56
Die Young.

Haha, thanks for the moral support. However if everyone listened to me the world would be in unimaginable hell.(even more than it is)

I really don't understand the big hype of Pantera...I mean like some people have said they just don't "wow" me like Slayer does. They just don't have the "vibes" that Slayer brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2004-10-06, 16:16
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuNioj0369
Exactly, no "vibes" and WAY over-hyped...
Old 2004-10-06, 17:05
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Haha, thanks for the moral support. However if everyone listened to me the world would be in unimaginable hell.(even more than it is)

I really don't understand the big hype of Pantera...I mean like some people have said they just don't "wow" me like Slayer does. They just don't have the "vibes" that Slayer brings.

Cemetary Gates is real classic, but that was 1990! Not too inovative if you ask me. Pantera is good, but Slayer, I dunno, it's just Slayer. They rules all thyrough the eightes, they rule now. Panters was a jump-on-the-wagon band in metal while Slayer were founding fathers.
Old 2004-10-06, 17:10
Die Young.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2004-10-06, 17:37
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

They both rule. but my vote goes for slayer, cos theyve always stuck to what they wanna do, thrash metal. and there legends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.
Old 2004-10-06, 22:40
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credit to Dementia
You really don't like this guy, eh Chris?

I generally don't get along with people who pretend to be knowledgable, especially when their limited knowledge it as blatantly low as his. He's obviously just around to stir trouble, to irritate people. Once I get to the point where it's obvious that somebody is like that, it's easier for me to not get irritated, because I know exactly what's going on.

But yeah, people talking out of their ass about something they don't know anything about, pretending to be knowledgable, spreading false or irrelevant information, that's just one of my pet peeves. That's why I allowed him to irritate me for so long.
Old 2004-10-07, 06:33
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
I used to believe all the stories of Kerry King being sloppy, but after seeing Slayer last night I can't understand the basis for considering him so. He didn't miss a single note of a riff or solo and in fact, it was Jeff who missed the odd note, not Kerry.

Slayer have an aura both on stage and on record that Pantera can't even begin to compete with. They are forefathers, legends and true giants of metal. Pantera are good but I wouldn't say they were legendary by any means and they are certainly not pioneers of anything except for radically changing style in order to sell records.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Old 2004-10-07, 06:44
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
it was Jeff who missed the odd note, not Kerry.

Thats probably because he would have been less than sober
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?
Old 2004-10-07, 07:24
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
True.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Old 2004-10-07, 09:10
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
I used to believe all the stories of Kerry King being sloppy, but after seeing Slayer last night I can't understand the basis for considering him so. He didn't miss a single note of a riff or solo and in fact, it was Jeff who missed the odd note, not Kerry.

Slayer have an aura both on stage and on record that Pantera can't even begin to compete with. They are forefathers, legends and true giants of metal. Pantera are good but I wouldn't say they were legendary by any means and they are certainly not pioneers of anything except for radically changing style in order to sell records.

I know what you mean. I think King's style is reckless and crazy but he does it perfect. He means to sound out of control and he hits every note while doing it. Nothing sloppy there imo.