MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Who is the better Band?
Slayer 51 72.86%
Pantera 19 27.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-10-05, 07:16
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Dimebag kicks Kings ass

I'm going to ask a stupid question...

A stupid friend of mine said that the lead singer of Pantera came out of the closet and he's gay...

Is that true

no he actually doesnt kick kings arse.....

haha, that doesnt sound like something phil would do. funny if he did though cos then it would contradict everything he has said over the years. plus its him so his stoned speech would be hilarious.
Old 2004-10-05, 09:47
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

i only dig Reign in Blood by Slayer, the rest of their stuff i deem to be pretty mediocre.

All of their songs have solos that are mostly shitty; mediocre at best. Kerry's not a good improviser, he's only sat down and really written one on like a few songs. Dimebag owns in that area; hands down.

Sure, they have written some classic riffs and have had an influence on alot of bands, but alot of their stuff on an album sound similar to each other: the solos, the verse sections (look at the old RTT thread where i matched the verse sections of Raining Blood and Angel of Death...they even had the exact same tempo).
You might say that Slayer is heavier than Pantera.....but that depends on your definition of "heavy"
To me, Slayer is overrated.
Plus, i find Vinnie's drumming to be more creative, and i like Phil's voice better, so that's why my vote went to Pantera.
Old 2004-10-05, 09:56
Die Young.

OK, you say Death invented Death metal.....who the fuck do you think Death were influenced by??

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2004-10-05, 10:29
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Sure, you could probably say that Pantera are better musicians but in my eyes they don't come close to Slayer as a band. My evidence consists of three words: Reign In Blood. Nothing that Pantera have put out can even come close to the sheer ferocity, speed and ability to send shivers down your spine that this album possesses.

Fair enough, Slayer have waned in recent years but I'd still rather listen to Divine Intervention or South Of Heaven or Seasons In The Abyss than any Pantera record. Oh by the way, I like Pantera - just not enough to take them over Slayer.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Old 2004-10-05, 10:46
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Ok you Pantera fucks, death metal/black metal would not exist without Slayer..you owe them your lives.

black metal sucks anyway.

slayer has only a couple of cool songs.

pantera has shitloads.
Old 2004-10-05, 10:48
Dog farts
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Sure, you could probably say that Pantera are better musicians but in my eyes they don't come close to Slayer as a band. My evidence consists of three words: Reign In Blood. Nothing that Pantera have put out can even come close to the sheer ferocity, speed and ability to send shivers down your spine that this album possesses.

Fair enough, Slayer have waned in recent years but I'd still rather listen to Divine Intervention or South Of Heaven or Seasons In The Abyss than any Pantera record. Oh by the way, I like Pantera - just not enough to take them over Slayer.

Folks, say no more.
Old 2004-10-05, 11:13
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Dimebag kicks Kings ass

I'm going to ask a stupid question...

A stupid friend of mine said that the lead singer of Pantera came out of the closet and he's gay...

Is that true

Dimebag doesn't kick King's ass. He's a better guitarist but half of what makes him distinct is distilled Kerry King undisciplined craziness. And why's everyone forgetting about Jeff Hanneman? King's not Slayer's only guitarist; he's not even their best one. Leads have never really been the major Slayer appeal, but if they're to be discussed you might as well not tie a hand behind their back.

No, Phil has not come out. The last time I checked he was married to some bluesy folk singer - female, mind you - from New Orleans. The claim that he's gay is probably a residual of some anti-Pantera website. I think it would be funnier than when Halford came out, as Pantera fans are generally much more intolerant than Judas Priest fans. I don't know definitively, but I've no reason to think he's gay.
Old 2004-10-05, 11:17
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to obrien20
Old 2004-10-05, 11:32
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credit to Dementia
Dimebag doesn't kick King's ass. He's a better guitarist but half of what makes him distinct is distilled Kerry King undisciplined craziness. And why's everyone forgetting about Jeff Hanneman? King's not Slayer's only guitarist; he's not even their best one. Leads have never really been the major Slayer appeal, but if they're to be discussed you might as well not tie a hand behind their back.

No, Phil has not come out. The last time I checked he was married to some bluesy folk singer - female, mind you - from New Orleans. The claim that he's gay is probably a residual of some anti-Pantera website. I think it would be funnier than when Halford came out, as Pantera fans are generally much more intolerant than Judas Priest fans. I don't know definitively, but I've no reason to think he's gay.

maybe.

but Dime's solo's sound good.

King's solo's sound like he's having a seizure or something
Old 2004-10-05, 11:40
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
maybe.

but Dime's solo's sound good.

King's solo's sound like he's having a seizure or something

True. He got better for Seasons in the Abyss - he took lessons - but he does make his guitar sound like it's receiving last rites.
Old 2004-10-05, 12:06
New Blood

Well, maybe Dimebag was better than King or Hanneman doing solo's, but anyways, Where's Pantera now?... Slayer still's reign in blood!!!!
Old 2004-10-05, 12:44
Pirate Lawd

I read a post by King on the Slayer web site where he said that Dime and him are really good friends and jam well together. One day they would like to start a project together. Now that would kick ass! A slayer/pantera born album
Old 2004-10-05, 13:00
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
I read a post by King on the Slayer web site where he said that Dime and him are really good friends and jam well together. One day they would like to start a project together. Now that would kick ass! A slayer/pantera born album

Yeah, they're pretty clearly friends. I doubt every project I hear Dime might eventually do, though. I remember Zakk Wylde was supposed to have a track with Dimebag for the past few years, but nothing yet.

I keep thinking of Kerry's random attacks on other lead players when we discuss his leads here.

Shit, it seems they did a track on the Damageplan album, so I retract that statement.

Last edited by Credit to Dementia : 2004-10-05 at 13:04.
Old 2004-10-05, 13:21
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

SLAYER!

I like both Dimes, Kerrys and Jeffs solos but theres something crazy about Kerry&Jeffs that make go me WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2004-10-05, 13:22
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credit to Dementia
I think it would be funnier than when Halford came out, as Pantera fans are generally much more intolerant than Judas Priest fans.

we (power metal fans) are always ready for stuff like that.
Old 2004-10-05, 13:37
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
black metal sucks anyway.

slayer has only a couple of cool songs.

pantera has shitloads.

I agree black metal sucks, but that's not the point.

Slayer only has a couple of cool songs? Oh right, Pantera is full of hits.

I'm not even a fan of Pantera.

And to Fearfrost....I hate to say I told ya so...

Quote:
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2004-10-05, 15:55
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

If I was bored and felt like hearing something cool, I'd pick Slayer over Pantera. So here's another vote for Slayer you FUckfrost with your pretty long hair...kidding BTW... I agree with most here to say that Pantera has the best solos but that doesn't come close to Slayer riffage. Jeff & Kerry blow Pantera away with their downpicking specialty. Also Pantera in my eyes appeal to the teenager who thinks Pantera is god, as for Slayer, who appeals to everyone else.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Last edited by powersofterror : 2004-10-05 at 15:58.
Old 2004-10-05, 16:31
Metalhead
Banned

Slayer. Although I don't have any of their cds and only one of Panteras, the music vid's of slayer are awesome. I love live performance music videos better than those stupid theming ones. Slayer is like the Birth mother of Death metal. Not saying they are a bunch of girls, but I hope I got my point across.
Old 2004-10-05, 16:39
Die Young.

Your picking Slayer because of the Music Videos? Why don't you just leave and never come back.

Quote:

RIP moe.
Old 2004-10-05, 17:04
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Pantera as a whole is a MUCH better band.

Slayer = same fuckign fast paced down picked song.. with satanic lyrics such by a christian.

Pantera = a variety of song.. fast shit like Fucking Hostile, slow masterpeices like Cemetary Gates. With excellent vocals, far better lyrics, and better solos.

If Slayer ever thinks outside of the box and tries to change things up than maybe me opinion will change, but until they release a song that can compete with Cemetary Gates or Hollow than my opinion remains the same.

Oh... and just to make all you planning to flame me, i still like slayer and always will, but will also ALWAYS get tried of them, unlike Pantera who i can listen to nonstop.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.