MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-09-27, 01:01
The Execrator
Noob lud

Double pedal or 2 bass drums

I keep wondering if i should get another bass drum or just keep my double bass pedal. I know if I get another bass drum, it will be harder to carry my drums around but double pedals feel weird to me...

Old 2004-09-27, 02:33
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

go with the feel man!

even though it is harder to cart around if it feels better go for it, plus 2 basses look waaaaaaaayyyyyy cooler than a double pedal

hmm perhaps I should fix my second bass drum so I can use it for more than a glorified tom holder......

Old 2004-09-27, 06:14
Dystopia
Post-whore

Personally, if I had the money I would get two bass drums.

Old 2004-09-27, 19:48
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

get another bass drum. Although They are harder to carry around its worth it to have the double bass. With a double pedal you have to do alot of adjusting and stuff with it. with two kick drums it fells alot easier to play on and it doesnt fell weird. I'd go with getting the bass drum.

Old 2004-09-27, 23:18
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

I personally like the double pedal due to the fact that I don't have to try to tune my bass drums so they sound identical, it's nearly impossible to do. I downsized my kit to one bass drum and got a rack a while back and I wouldn't consider going back.
But that's just my opinion do what you want.

Old 2004-09-28, 01:00
rickyd
New Blood

like other replies, go with what you are more comfortable. i have 2 bass drums and a double pedal. i almost never use both bass drums. i alternate my drums. i have a 22" and a 26". to me, sometimes the "reaction" of the pedals seem more comfortable with one drum. but, i can get a really great sound with both.

Old 2004-09-28, 19:17
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

i like double pedal, but whatever feels best...
double pedal is easier to setup, take down, saves space, sounds even, ect... but some people just like to show off.

Old 2004-09-28, 22:59
omdthrash
Metalhead

double bass drums are cool, i'd like a second one someday, but I prefer double pedals for a lot of reasons, like i couldnt fit two bass drums in my fucking car, or in any of the basements i play in. everything's a lot closer in with just one bass drum too. two bass drums is a lot smoother than a double pedal from the times i've tried it, but the difference isnt enough to compel me to go through the hassle of getting another drum.

Old 2004-09-29, 04:37
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

i was at my drummer's house one day when he was tuning his new bass drum to sound like his old one. he was like, in tears. so was i (laughing)

Old 2004-09-29, 04:40
corroded
Post-whore

if you have two bass drums, then it is possible to get a consistent & more uniform sound with the kicks, cuz both the beaters would then hit right at the centre of the drum, unlike a double pedal, where the slave pedal would hit at an eccentric point.

Old 2004-09-29, 14:59
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Both my beaters hit in the center of my bass drum, what kind of fucked up pedal did you use. I used to have a second bass drum and the only time they were close to being identical was right when I got new heads for them but after a night of one footed blast beats they were out of tune again. Point is one bass drum=much less tuning. Unless you just don't care how your bass drum sounds.

Old 2004-09-30, 00:35
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

or you just trigger them

Old 2004-10-17, 22:21
The Execrator
Noob lud

haha! I can just get one of those drum tuner things to get them the exact same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2004-10-18, 02:58
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

you mean the evans torque key, yeah I am trying to find an adpater for drum screw sizes for my torque wrench (I tinker with cars) so I could torque my skins up all the same, just haven't found one yet.

Old 2004-10-19, 19:43
The Execrator
Noob lud

No, it's a dial thing that measures the tension or something..It's on musiciansfriend.com. It's like $60 though

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2004-10-19, 20:00
G_urr_A
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE
Both my beaters hit in the center of my bass drum, what kind of fucked up pedal did you use.

What corroded is talking about is that you can't have both the beaters hit the same spot. The way I've seen it done is with the "main" beater hitting the center of the skin, and the "slave" ("linked") beater hitting slightly to the left. You could of course set them up so they both hit the same distance from the center, but on different sides. Then you should get identical tone from them both.
But I'd rather have the tonal difference from two beaters hitting the same skin a few inches apart, than two beaters hitting two different drums.

I'm double pedal all the way, until you can afford a serious touring bus and a good drum tuning guy to work for you. Much easier to carry a double pedal around, much easier to get more similar tone from both beaters.

Old 2004-10-31, 08:48
BodomBeachTerror
New Blood

hi
i got my drums yesterday. can i just get a second kicker for my bass? cuase the guy in the shop said it was an extra 200$ but i think he thought i meant another bass
is the slave the same size an all? and does it feel wierd playing with your feet close together? i think 2 basses would feel better

Old 2004-10-31, 11:22
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

200 $ isnt a very large amount to be paying for equipment like that, the doublebass PEDAL that is. 2 bass drums is an awful amount cooler, but a little harder to maintain. playing a DB pedal is just as easy as double drum. you can normally adjust the width between feet aswell with the DB pedal.

Old 2004-11-01, 11:43
melodicdeath
New Blood

I'm alright with either, but I'm poor, so I only have double pedals.

Old 2004-11-01, 20:01
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomBeachTerror
hi
i got my drums yesterday. can i just get a second kicker for my bass? cuase the guy in the shop said it was an extra 200$ but i think he thought i meant another bass
is the slave the same size an all? and does it feel wierd playing with your feet close together? i think 2 basses would feel better

A alright double pedal will cost around $200. Your feet arnt close together when you use a double pedal. The idea of a double pedal was to make it seem like you have another bass drum, so its the same distance.

Quote:

Old 2004-11-02, 08:13
BodomBeachTerror
New Blood

yeh my friend explained that to me. i thought that the pedals were right next to each other.
so a pedal is really that expensive? just for the pedal its 200$? that is au $$$ btw

Old 2004-11-02, 10:19
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Sure is dude.

Old 2004-11-03, 03:06
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Au 200 for a double, I would call that CHEAP!!!!

my Axis longboards set me back $900 NZD

Old 2004-11-03, 06:58
BodomBeachTerror
New Blood

but axis are the best arent they? this was probly bottom of the barrel

Old 2004-11-03, 07:15
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

yeah axis owns everything and that was probably something like a Pearl TW-100 or anything by pacific or a lower gibralter pedal.

Old 2004-11-03, 09:23
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Axis are great pedals.

Old 2004-11-08, 14:36
eaterofthedead888
New Blood

Talking

I love my DW DB pedal. It's fast, portable, and gives my kit a tighter feel. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 2005-10-30, 10:56
blinky
New Blood

i got some cheaps dxp double bass pedals i use, ive used these and 2 bass drums and personally i prefer double bass pedal

Old 2005-10-30, 11:32
low-tech
Post-whore

id actually like to get another clear vistalite kickdrum and upgrade to a three piece,the hours wasted on tuning be damned.

Old 2005-11-01, 20:23
The Execrator
Noob lud

Well I know own 2 bass drums. And I have to admit.......It's a pain in the ass. Im thinking about going back to a double pedal.

Quote:

Old 2005-11-02, 02:21
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I have 2 and love em

Wouldn't play without them and NEVER going back to a single kick!

Old 2005-11-03, 01:06
I Play Drums
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Execrator
I keep wondering if i should get another bass drum or just keep my double bass pedal. I know if I get another bass drum, it will be harder to carry my drums around but double pedals feel weird to me...

If I were you I would just stick with the doube pedal. In my opinion, having a double pedal is much easier when playing shows, as compared to having two bass drums. I also favor the double pedal because it is much harder to keep two bass drums in the same tuning unless you are really good at it/enjoy doing it, or have a drum tech. I've seen tons of drummers with two bass drums that were awful. My advice is to impress them with your skill, and not your drums; plus you'll save some money.
| ``````E-FIGHTS```````|
| ````````ARE``````````l
| ``````HILARIOUS``````|
| `````````````````````l
'--------------Ooo-------'
````````|__|__|
`````````||`||
````````ooO Ooo

Old 2005-11-03, 02:36
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

2 bass drums, yes they are harder to tune and transport, but they feel infinitley better than a double pedal, and they look fucking metal!

Old 2005-12-22, 18:25
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Question...

Is it just as easy to do some blitzing heel/toe on a double pedal in comparison to seperate pedals. I imagine the reaction and smoothness isn't the same since the whole transfer of energy and motion through the bar to the other beater. For all who have used double bass and double bass pedals, can you speak on how much ease of technique is lost if any? Thanks

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2005-12-23, 01:57
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

erm it is a LOT easier on 2 seperate pedals rather than a double pedal, I mean I can just do a double roll with my feet, but if I jump on a double pedal, nothing, I can't do it for shit!!!

Old 2005-12-23, 03:42
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomBeachTerror
yeh my friend explained that to me. i thought that the pedals were right next to each other.
so a pedal is really that expensive? just for the pedal its 200$? that is au $$$ btw

Dude you are getting into drums, be prepared to shell out some cash, especially for fucking heads...

Old 2005-12-23, 05:24
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
erm it is a LOT easier on 2 seperate pedals rather than a double pedal, I mean I can just do a double roll with my feet, but if I jump on a double pedal, nothing, I can't do it for shit!!!

damn.... that sucks. I wanna be able to learn some fast ass heel/toe roddy style, I'm sure I'll never get to his speed, but I want to learn the technique. I don't want to be held back by equipment is what I'm getting at.

Old 2005-12-23, 09:52
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Quote:
damn.... that sucks. I wanna be able to learn some fast ass heel/toe roddy style, I'm sure I'll never get to his speed, but I want to learn the technique. I don't want to be held back by equipment is what I'm getting at.

nah I have seen drummers do fast as fuck double bass on shit double pedals, and seen drummers with Axis on 2 basses be slow as fuck.

Just sit your ass down and PRACTICE and you will get there, its what Roddy did to become that great, it is what every other great drummer did! and it is what I am doing (just got to catch up the few years advantage they have on me)

Old 2005-12-23, 19:48
The Execrator
Noob lud

Max from Krisiun uses iron cobra junior pedals and he's up there with all the other great extreme drummers. You don't need to play on axis pedals to be good. In my opinion, if your bad at double bass, it's you not the pedals.

Quote:

Old 2005-12-23, 20:57
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I just want the ability to be able to pursue these extreme drumming techniques available. I'm a very dedicated individual. I plan to practice my ass off, but if it's pretty much not possible to do on a double pedal, is what I was wanting to know. I want to be capable equipmentwise to pull off some extreme db.

Old 2005-12-24, 01:04
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

as I said Practice your ass off!!!

Old 2005-12-24, 23:09
Vomitor
Metalhead

I prefer bad equipment, functional, but bad. This way when you play anything else, you sound 100 times better. Also if your gear get's jacked or broken it doesn't matter.

Old 2005-12-25, 06:27
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vomitor
I prefer bad equipment, functional, but bad. This way when you play anything else, you sound 100 times better. Also if your gear get's jacked or broken it doesn't matter.

Heh, that's my current situation. I play on my brother's kit. It's a huge POS. Double bass is the $99 special. The drums are some no name wannabe's, cheap ass headsm we have a pulse brand hi-hat, crash, and ride. We (he) pretty much took the cheapest route to start learning. Time to upgrade.