MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.57 average.
Old 2005-03-22, 21:27
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
You will also notice that his smoking is bad enough to where he coughs up flem 5 times every song. When I saw him with Iced Earth and Evergrey, my god he spat on the stage floor after every verse. What do you think it'll be like when he's over 40?

Haha, yeah I noticed that too! I saw CoB in San Francisco when they were touring with Fear Factory and Lamb of God, and Alexi kept constantly spitting out these giant wads of crap everytime he was done singing a verse. He was actually being quite stylish about it; he would spit straight up in the air and then move to the side so it wouldn't fall on him. And the lights would be shining all over the giant spitwads too.
Old 2005-03-23, 01:29
Post-whore

Exactly, I saw that when I went to see them, but then on the other hand, every recent video of COB that I see, he does that. Annoys me, it's like how the fuck could you produce that much saliva, and does he smoke?
Old 2005-03-23, 03:16
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Without really knowing, I'd say yes he does.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2005-03-23, 16:13
Senior Metalhead

Just to put in my little part on this topic, I've heard one thing about making the voice deeper (or higher). Supposedly, if you sing in a lower tone--pushing your voice as low as you can comfortably sing--then it will gradually lower your voice. Same with making it higher (although I don't know why anyone in metal would want a higher voice). I've heard that using a higher tone while singing can expand your vocal range. And also, I think, singing or even just talking with a a very low voice will stretch it deeper (although gradually). It's worth a shot. It's helped me some.
Old 2005-03-23, 16:56
Pokémon Master

Maybe you would want a higer voice if you sang POOOOWWWEEEERRRR metal.
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?
Old 2005-04-05, 10:03
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to GravelFistFM
singing is like lifting weights, you lift a small amount, heal and lift a bigger weight when u think u can handle it...to me it was about guaging...after a while ur throat wont hurt after a long set
Old 2005-11-30, 20:47
Okay.

Send a message via MSN to blitz906 Send a message via Yahoo to blitz906
Thumbs up

Somehow I find beer helps get a really low gutteral growl, Cannibal Corpse or Lamb of God style....whenever I drink really thick beer, like malt liquor, German ale or stout like Guinness, I can growl REALLY deep, and smoking does help....but I've been a pack a day smoker since I was 12....so all you smoking newbies have alot of catching up to do lol

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Old 2005-11-30, 23:51
Metalhead

dairy products will, and rocket sauce
Old 2005-12-01, 07:36
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
I can tell you from personal experience that cigarette smoking does not help my vocals, AT ALL. In fact it makes my growls worse. So don't ever take anyone else's word for it and start smoking : Smoke a cigarette and see if you can growl better. If you can't, STOP. Because if you get addicted to it, and your growls get worse, you have a huge problem.
Old 2005-12-01, 14:01
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Unanything
Just fucking practice! Explore your voxbox, push it to the limits. Really stretch it by hitting the highest pitches you can!
Smoking will just take your breathing to hell with your voice in the end. And your ability to cogitate lyrics will disappear as you initiate a brian cell holocaust. And you won't be able to get the boost to do them as your spleen dissolves.
Secure a painful future if you want, but...

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!
Old 2005-12-02, 00:45
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to MeTalManiac555
Your a damn idiot man, are you sure your still not 12? Don't go telling people to start smoking and drinking and say it will work. And don't say that practicing will get your vocal box better. Actually growling is not good for your voice or vocal box if you wanna be completely CORRECT. I am not saying that growling is dumb and not to do it but it's true that it's not good for your voice. Don't drink anything cold either before singing. Take some vocal classes or something if you don't believe me. You will find out that way at least.
twilight casts spells on those who espouse their fate

ice pricks necks like knives, leaving shards of cadaverous skin
tears spout from eyes, shunned from mankind's den
(Prayer For Cleansing/ "A Dead Soal Born")
Old 2005-12-11, 04:02
Senior Metalhead

I think smoking doesnt make anything better, it will just make things worse.

Growling isnīt easy, and I think that the good vocalists out there have their own special technique.
And if you do it right it shouldn īt hurt that much.

The more often you do it, the better it will sound. Its just about practice, like everything.

It will help some people to listen to some vocals and then try to imitate them.

My only problem is, that I donīt know where I can practice the vocal stuff (besides our practice room). I canīt be that loud in my room!
Old 2005-12-11, 06:52
Metalhead

I've gotten into a routine. It's; smoke one or two fags (I don't usually.. just when I'm gonna growl) and put a glass of milk in the microwave for 1minute. That's too heat up my throat and leave some mucus. Just some crap I've felt helped a bit, don't take this as law.
Old 2005-12-15, 19:40
Senior Metalhead

heh fags... lol. I dont use shit to make my vocals deeper. I have used exercieses, like putting something heavy on your chest and breathing in and out, and then starting to sing. It will build your diaphragm muscle. I wouldnt know what else to lable my growl as, at some points its like a Devourment one, and then others its like a Dimmu Borgir type yell/growl/scream. Oh well thats what i do.
Old 2005-12-16, 12:10
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Send a message via MSN to Robbie Filth
I don't do anything it just comes naturally for me takes a while to get it just practise getting your voice as low as possible and loud.

I can do vocals like Visceral Bleeding, Moritician........etc
Old 2005-12-16, 12:36
Senior Metalhead

Some people have projection, like Bones98 and some people dont Chris Barnes =). I can project pretty well. Its not amazing like Bones98 but its a decent one. I dont do much to edit them either, i use noise reduction and thats it.
Old 2005-12-18, 11:25
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to IlikeRiffseveryone Send a message via MSN to IlikeRiffseveryone
why would anyone smoke for your vox? it hurts the number 1 thing you need for it-strong breathing habbits
yes its a gay project, and no im not in special needs class.
Old 2005-12-29, 01:33
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Shreddist Send a message via MSN to Shreddist Send a message via Yahoo to Shreddist
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
Somehow I find beer helps get a really low gutteral growl, Cannibal Corpse or Lamb of God style....whenever I drink really thick beer, like malt liquor, German ale or stout like Guinness, I can growl REALLY deep, and smoking does help....but I've been a pack a day smoker since I was 12....so all you smoking newbies have alot of catching up to do lol

Cheers

hah, sure youre not just drunk and thinking theyre deeper?

My best advice is if you want to get phlem in your throat, do some screaming first, doesnt matter if youre good or bad at it, just do some screaming, just dont hurt yourself now! I find that screaming produces phlem faster than growling. Or you can be a faggot and go drink some milk/hotsauce mixed concoction before you do it Oh, and curl your tounge slightly up, that really affects the sound. Good luck!
Old 2005-12-31, 02:43
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Bones98
Actually there alternatives to drinking beer. Beer doesnt do anything; it doesnt abuse ur throat glands in order to swell up and increase friction with the bronchial glands when growling. Beer is also foamy and still.. Basically "Stilled" beverages dont do shit.

Ohh to that guy before Shreddist; I smoke like 10-15 ciggs a day. Sadly I'm pissed off with my habits but dude, I do alot of prolonged screaming and growling and I never heard a change.

Another thing that helps alter ur voice is the placement of ur tongue. There are times when I stick out my tongue a little bit between my top and bottom teeth for those "Wet wanna be Matti Way" vocals.

FOr those gutturals I do that sound SO SIMILAR to Ruben Rosas from Devourment, I keep my tongue arched backwards a bit, not touching the top of the mouth or else it sounds a bit different.

For those raspy vocals I do; I breath in air very fast with my lips puckered up. The more open u have, the more ur vocals sound more powerful. I also breath in hair when Im screaming for those "metal core or hard core" vocals with my mouth widely open saying "EEEYAA."
Thats what i can say so far. U might get more of an idea when i record the video.
Old 2005-12-31, 10:02
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Night 6 6
Exactly, I saw that when I went to see them, but then on the other hand, every recent video of COB that I see, he does that. Annoys me, it's like how the fuck could you produce that much saliva, and does he smoke?

Alexi smokes a shitload. I think he smokes some in the TL&S Lost In Helsinki vid. He said in some interview he drinks coffee and smokes before every show.

Presonus Firepod - $425 shipped
Gator 4 Space Rack Case - $75 shipped
Rackmount Tuner - $75 shipped
Pacific Drum Works 5000 Double Bass Pedal - $175 shipped