MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2004-09-27, 14:06
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuNioj0369
Interesting story...on metal-archives.com, the Pantera biography tells how back in the day, when Pantera was a glam band, Metallica came through Texas (obviously while on tour). Somehow James Hetfield wound up hanging out with Dimebag (Diamond back then). While in Darrell's room, Hetfield just started hocking loogies all over his Bon Jovi posters. In stead of getting pissed off, Darell just joined in and before you know it, Pantera were covering thrash songs and moving toward where they would end up in the '90's.
Old 2004-09-27, 15:06
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to Myrmidonlord666 Send a message via Yahoo to Myrmidonlord666
Perfect example of why i hate Pantera someone said they influenced Metalcore, i despise metalcore and its boring facelessness, all the bands literally sound the same, they all rip of Pantera and the like, and they continue to glorify a sound i have hated for the longest time.
Old 2004-09-27, 16:39
Supreme Metalhead

Pantera may have had a bad influence, but that can't be blamed on them. It goes part and parcel with being important. The 80's was loaded with mediocre thrash bands who saw Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Dark Angel, and whoever else you want to name, and yelled 'Me too!', prepared with nothing more than a few derivative low E-pedal riffs and poorly-timed blast beats. I know this, but I don't get pissed off at the innovators. Also during the 80's, lead guitarists in all genres of metal managed to make shredding uninteresting, but that doesn't take much away from Eddie Van Halen or Randy Rhoads. Fast-forward to the 90's, and you have death metal replacing thrash as the haven of wannabe hacks. To be perfectly honest, I love death metal when it's played well, but when it's not it has to be the most boring genre of metal. A no-thought, soulless technical riff gets to be just as annoying as no-thought, soulless de-tuned ape-pounding. But I don't sit around blaming Morbid Angel, Death, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, or anyone else who innovated for what their innovations wrought. I blame the wannabes, and even then I try not to judge too harshly, since I can't blame them for wanting to be the people they aped.

The truth is, as this should have indicated, that whenever something important comes out - whenever a few bands come out and suddenly innovate the hell out of music - that's when you should be scared, because that is like a sentence coming down for five to ten years of uninspired, derivative crap. And, like I said, no matter the genre, crap is crap.
Old 2004-09-27, 16:45
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credit to Dementia
To be perfectly honest, I love death metal when it's played well, but when it's not it has to be the most boring genre of metal. A no-thought, soulless technical riff gets to be just as annoying as no-thought, soulless de-tuned ape-pounding.But I don't sit around blaming Morbid Angel, Death, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, or anyone else who innovated for what their innovations wrought. I blame the wannabes, and even then I try not to judge too harshly, since I can't blame them for wanting to be the people they aped..

no matter the genre, crap is crap.

Haha, yeah!!!!
Old 2004-09-27, 21:10
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Riggs
Dimebag Darrell is my favorite member, and his guitar is sexy looking.

Songs:
Domination
Walk
Fucking Hostile
This Love
No Good
Hallow
Good Friends and a Bottle Of Pills
25 Years
Shedding Skin

"Choices always were a problem for you.
What you need is someone strong to guide you.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
what you need is someone strong to use you...
like me..." ~Maynard
Old 2004-09-27, 21:26
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Send a message via AIM to timedragon Send a message via MSN to timedragon
Quote:
Pantera may have had a bad influence, but that can't be blamed on them. It goes part and parcel with being important. The 80's was loaded with mediocre thrash bands who saw Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Dark Angel, and whoever else you want to name, and yelled 'Me too!', prepared with nothing more than a few derivative low E-pedal riffs and poorly-timed blast beats. I know this, but I don't get pissed off at the innovators. Also during the 80's, lead guitarists in all genres of metal managed to make shredding uninteresting, but that doesn't take much away from Eddie Van Halen or Randy Rhoads. Fast-forward to the 90's, and you have death metal replacing thrash as the haven of wannabe hacks. To be perfectly honest, I love death metal when it's played well, but when it's not it has to be the most boring genre of metal. A no-thought, soulless technical riff gets to be just as annoying as no-thought, soulless de-tuned ape-pounding. But I don't sit around blaming Morbid Angel, Death, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, or anyone else who innovated for what their innovations wrought. I blame the wannabes, and even then I try not to judge too harshly, since I can't blame them for wanting to be the people they aped.

The truth is, as this should have indicated, that whenever something important comes out - whenever a few bands come out and suddenly innovate the hell out of music - that's when you should be scared, because that is like a sentence coming down for five to ten years of uninspired, derivative crap. And, like I said, no matter the genre, crap is crap.

Not sure if im just drunk, but i like this guys perspective
Old 2004-09-27, 21:48
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Send a message via AIM to timedragon Send a message via MSN to timedragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrmidonlord666
I never much liked Morbid Angel but Altars of Madness was good, I just think they have been talked about way to much for what little they actually produced. I am not a fan of the sound they created IMO Vader and Earlier Nile sounded like them and countless other bands that i dislike, and Trey has a fucking rockstar attitude, saying stuff like there is no metal scene and Morbid Angel are the only True Death Metal band, I am not saying i can out play him or anything he is good technically and what not, i just hate the style and how people give him so much fucking credit for what? Blessed are the Sick? common the album is not that good.

Also another reason to dislike him is he bashed one of my beloved bands quite vehemently in the early 90's (that band being Death), And around where i live all it is is fags in Mudvayne, Morbid Angel, Opethetic, In Fags, and what ever else is the flavor of the week shirts and I just grew to have contempt for the band, and also i have Heard the latter stuff Gateways was cool it was Doomish, but common Heretic? Am i the only one who thought that was a little gay? or am i just imagining the gay sound that was flying out of my speakers when i turned that shit on.

And on the Cannibal Corpse issue I tried to make it seem like they were popular but i still liked them, I dont mind their newer style, Gore Obsessed was cool Wretched Spawn had afew ok moments, but you give me Eaten Back to Life or Butchered at Birth anyday and i would forget about this new crap.

Yet i regress i wasnt trying to say Morbid Angel and Canni were gay, i was more pointing out they are overrated.

wow, its been a while since someone here bothered me as much as you are now. I just read a whole crock of shit out of you and i agree with some of it, but shit, I dont even remember what it was, but you pissed me off at more point than one throughout your rants. Out of all of it i remember one thing, you mentioning Dark tranquillity in a negative way. Everyone has opinions, but I think they are still making good music(sure its very different from old days, Fuck, come on, people change. It doesnt ALWAYS fucking mean theyre selling out) and i have yet to meet one fan that was actually a stupid mainstreamer fag. I still like old In flames, and i know there are plenty of fags listening to strictly new In flames, but the old stuff is fucking great, but considering the newer stuffs position, i can understand why there are so many idiots loving it. Still, dark tranquillity is plenty worthy of respect even these days.
Old 2004-09-29, 00:52
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to DamageFan6984
PANTERAS THE BEST. EVER SINCE I LEARNED IT I CANT STOP DOING THOSE CRAZY HARMONICS DIMEBAG DOES. TOO MUCH FUN.
Old 2004-09-29, 04:12
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageFan6984
PANTERAS THE BEST. EVER SINCE I LEARNED IT I CANT STOP DOING THOSE CRAZY HARMONICS DIMEBAG DOES. TOO MUCH FUN.

Question: What's more annoying than a newbie that types in all caps?
Answer: An condescending established poster slamming you for it.

You stop one and I'll stop the other.
Old 2004-09-29, 04:19
Alumni Staff

Our good friend Maddox can help us out with this one.

http://maddox.xmission.net/keyboard4.jpg
Old 2004-09-29, 05:38
bugfucker strikes back.

Send a message via AIM to Dissection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Lobster
Who here likes this band? They are my favorite! Why do you like them? Which songs? Album? Member?

[sarcasm]Who WOULD like Pantera?!?! They fucking SUCK. [/sarcasm]

Asking who likes Pantera is like asking "who breathes air." Its a pointless fucking question.

Awesome.
Old 2004-09-29, 05:49
Alumni Staff

Darko and I don't.
Old 2004-09-29, 10:03
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to Myrmidonlord666 Send a message via Yahoo to Myrmidonlord666
If its not apparent already i hate Fagtera...
Old 2004-09-29, 16:34
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrmidonlord666
If its not apparent already i hate Fagtera...

Why do you hate them?

like me..." ~Maynard
Old 2004-09-29, 17:14
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
THEY ARENT NECRO ENOUGH 666!!!

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-09-29, 17:43
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
THEY ARENT NECRO ENOUGH 666!!!

lol, well what I don't understand is how he can hate them. I can understand him not liking them or anything, but I would think he would still respect them. It's not like they blow ass.

like me..." ~Maynard
Old 2004-09-29, 20:52
Supreme Metalhead

He dislikes their music and doesn't like any of the music they spawned. He probably doesn't actually hate them - it's hard to really hate people you don't know - but he's pretty fucking far from being a fan, eh? If he actually does hate them, well, he's got a lot of time on his hands and should be applauded for his dedication.

Also, and I don't think it's this guy's problem, a lot of people use computers at work, where they're forced to use caps to work with such and such a program. Instead of flaming them we should respect their handicap and laugh quietly behind their backs, aping their crip-walk up and down hallways. Or in this case type in caps and talk about harmonics.
Old 2004-09-29, 20:57
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
He dislikes their music and doesn't like any of the music they spawned. He probably doesn't actually hate them - it's hard to really hate people you don't know - but he's pretty fucking far from being a fan, eh? If he actually does hate them, well, he's got a lot of time on his hands and should be applauded for his dedication.

Also, and I don't think it's this guy's problem, a lot of people use computers at work, where they're forced to use caps to work with such and such a program. Instead of flaming them we should respect their handicap and laugh quietly behind their backs, aping their crip-walk up and down hallways. Or in this case type in caps and talk about harmonics.

Ummmmm well one of the rules in these forums is no constant caps, thats why he got flamed.

like me..." ~Maynard
Old 2004-09-29, 21:26
Supreme Metalhead

I wasn't seriously suggesting he be treated otherwise. It was just a roundabout flame.
Old 2004-09-29, 22:02
New Blood

Send a message via MSN to Righteous_Death
I fucking love Pantera, I love the albums, especially Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display Of Power.