Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2004-09-22, 19:00
Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Lobster
Who here likes this band? They are my favorite! Why do you like them? Which songs? Album? Member?

I just started listening to them. I love them too. They know how to shred, man!
Old 2004-09-23, 13:32
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to Myrmidonlord666 Send a message via Yahoo to Myrmidonlord666
Overrated

Pantera is like In Flames, Black Label Society, Dummy Burger, Dark Tranquility, Opethetic, Cannibal Corpse (whom i like on the first 2 or 3 albums), Deicide (Good couple albums), and Morbid Angel (... Nocturnus is better); They are talked about because they tried to popularize something (metal) by going commercial/poppy or riding a trend train (or in the case of MA, Deicide, and CC it was an accident and i dont blame them for becomming popular i blame them for the gay music they made after becoming popular)

Also Pantera are infamous for those faggot slam riffs and drop tuned gayness, that is vehemently copied by bands that are thoroughly gheyed up.

Thats my 2 cents
Old 2004-09-23, 17:40
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Riggs
I give Pantera credit, and they are good, but I don't listen to much of their music. I think just like a lot of bands out there such as Metalica they are overated like the guy before me stated. Anyways, my favorite song by them is Shedding Skin, I cannot get over how sexy that main riff sounds (my opinion).

"Choices always were a problem for you.
What you need is someone strong to guide you.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
what you need is someone strong to use you...
like me..." ~Maynard
Old 2004-09-23, 23:16
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrmidonlord666
Pantera is like In Flames, Black Label Society, Dummy Burger, Dark Tranquility, Opethetic, Cannibal Corpse (whom i like on the first 2 or 3 albums), Deicide (Good couple albums), and Morbid Angel (... Nocturnus is better); They are talked about because they tried to popularize something (metal) by going commercial/poppy or riding a trend train (or in the case of MA, Deicide, and CC it was an accident and i dont blame them for becomming popular i blame them for the gay music they made after becoming popular)

Also Pantera are infamous for those faggot slam riffs and drop tuned gayness, that is vehemently copied by bands that are thoroughly gheyed up.

Thats my 2 cents

You sound like somebody who copies what everybody else says when they say that anytime a band gets popular they either A: start to suck, or B: sold out to get popular in the first place. Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel are both still excellent bands. Just because Cannibal Corpse don't play simple thrash riffs anymore doesn't make them suck, I have no idea how you people get that. Please explain to me how Morbid Angel suck now, I always hear people try to say this without anything real to say to show how they suck now. They say it because everybody else says it. I have a feeling you are just like them, although you could easily prove me wrong by showing me exactly how Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse suck now in an intelligent and descriptive manner.
Old 2004-09-24, 13:22
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to Myrmidonlord666 Send a message via Yahoo to Myrmidonlord666
I never much liked Morbid Angel but Altars of Madness was good, I just think they have been talked about way to much for what little they actually produced. I am not a fan of the sound they created IMO Vader and Earlier Nile sounded like them and countless other bands that i dislike, and Trey has a fucking rockstar attitude, saying stuff like there is no metal scene and Morbid Angel are the only True Death Metal band, I am not saying i can out play him or anything he is good technically and what not, i just hate the style and how people give him so much fucking credit for what? Blessed are the Sick? common the album is not that good.

Also another reason to dislike him is he bashed one of my beloved bands quite vehemently in the early 90's (that band being Death), And around where i live all it is is fags in Mudvayne, Morbid Angel, Opethetic, In Fags, and what ever else is the flavor of the week shirts and I just grew to have contempt for the band, and also i have Heard the latter stuff Gateways was cool it was Doomish, but common Heretic? Am i the only one who thought that was a little gay? or am i just imagining the gay sound that was flying out of my speakers when i turned that shit on.

And on the Cannibal Corpse issue I tried to make it seem like they were popular but i still liked them, I dont mind their newer style, Gore Obsessed was cool Wretched Spawn had afew ok moments, but you give me Eaten Back to Life or Butchered at Birth anyday and i would forget about this new crap.

Yet i regress i wasnt trying to say Morbid Angel and Canni were gay, i was more pointing out they are overrated.
Old 2004-09-24, 13:28
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuNioj0369
Exactly what Chris said. Plus, I don't see any point in those bands career when they went to being specifically popular...if anything the underground grew, more people got into DM, it wasn't like a bunch of Korn fans finding the music closer to whiny nu-metal. Even as they gained more fans, I don't see how the music "gheyed up". CC and MA advanced musically and technically while Deicide put out two sub-par records to get out of their Roadrunner contract (I believe).
Old 2004-09-24, 14:09
Post-whore

is it just me or someone just said that Cannibal Corpse are doing gay music?

between this and "magical black metal", i've heard it all.
Old 2004-09-24, 16:43
Metalhead
Banned

Today and yesterday I've really gotten into my pantera CD. They Kick ass.
Old 2004-09-24, 22:58
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
I never much liked Morbid Angel but Altars of Madness was good, I just think they have been talked about way to much for what little they actually produced. I am not a fan of the sound they created IMO Vader and Earlier Nile sounded like them and countless other bands that i dislike, and Trey has a fucking rockstar attitude, saying stuff like there is no metal scene and Morbid Angel are the only True Death Metal band, I am not saying i can out play him or anything he is good technically and what not, i just hate the style and how people give him so much fucking credit for what? Blessed are the Sick? common the album is not that good.

Also another reason to dislike him is he bashed one of my beloved bands quite vehemently in the early 90's (that band being Death), And around where i live all it is is fags in Mudvayne, Morbid Angel, Opethetic, In Fags, and what ever else is the flavor of the week shirts and I just grew to have contempt for the band, and also i have Heard the latter stuff Gateways was cool it was Doomish, but common Heretic? Am i the only one who thought that was a little gay? or am i just imagining the gay sound that was flying out of my speakers when i turned that shit on.

I disagree with just about everything you said, but I appreciate the way you said it. Blessed are the Sick is an excellent album, the better albums usually take a few listens before there is true appreciation. They are far from overrated, the reason why they are so revered is because not only were they an excellent band, but they were also highly influential which is something far too many people ignore today. And when I say that, I don't necessarily mean that Morbid Angel's influence is ignored, but that too many people don't give credit where credit is due to bands that made metal what it is today.

Either of Morbid Angel's first two albums are way better than the simple thrash that Cannibal Corpse were playing on their first two albums. Butchered at Birth is far and away a sentimental favorite of mine, and it will always be in my rotation, but the actual quality of the first two CC albums and the first two MA albums is incomparable. Morbid Angel were tighter, far better composed/written, and far more complex. I won't even mention the solos, seriously, they can't even be brought up. On the same note, Cannibal Corpse today is far better than Cannibal Corpse of 1992, for the same reasons I brought up before. They are much tighter, the songs are composed better, and far more complex. Well, except the solos, MA can still outsolo CC any day of the week.

I don't have Heretic, so I can't really comment on it. I have the first 3 albums, and I used to have Domination, Fomulas Fatal to the Flesh, and Gateways to Annihilation on tape (they are all missing). I don't know what "rock star" attitude you are referring to. I've never heard him say that Morbid Angel are the only true death metal band, and if he ever did say that, it would be idiotic. I also never knew anything about him trashing Death or Shuldiner, and I'd be a little surprised if he did. If you have links to interviews that would show he said either of those things, I (and I'm sure lots of other people here) would certainly be interesting in seeing it. I'd appreciate it, I know that.
Old 2004-09-25, 19:44
Forum Reverend
Forum Leader

Arrow

Quote:
i have Heard the latter stuff Gateways was cool it was Doomish, but common Heretic? Am i the only one who thought that was a little gay? or am i just imagining the gay sound that was flying out of my speakers when i turned that shit on.

Gateways kicks ass, and yeah Heretic is weak...some good tracks, but overall its not that good.
Old 2004-09-25, 20:55
Supreme Metalhead

Cleansed in Pestilence and Enshrined by Grace are fucking amazing songs if you ask me.
Old 2004-09-26, 12:57
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuMetalBastard
I just started listening to them. I love them too. They know how to shred, man!

Let's hope they can kill the nu metal inside you.
Pantera are underrated I think - they're much better than Metallica in every single way, and deserve to be crowned kings of metal. I personally like Hollow and Cemetary Gates, but cowboys from hell and im broken are good too.
Somebody ate our dad, we will throw rocks at him from the sky, and put black ants in his air vents. You will make me so mad that I spurt out black semen into your mouth. I will use a megaphone to tell you I'm angry, then hit the air with a hammer, while standing on snakes. I call the grim reaper to cut open his head and eat his brain like in the film Hannibal, then cut his throat and stab his chest with scorpians.
Oh Kali
Oh Sekhmet
Oh Dagon.
Old 2004-09-26, 12:59
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

And on the Cannibal Corpse issue I tried to make it seem like they were popular but i still liked them, I dont mind their newer style, Gore Obsessed was cool Wretched Spawn had afew ok moments, but you give me Eaten Back to Life or Butchered at Birth anyday and i would forget about this new crap.

Yet i regress i wasnt trying to say Morbid Angel and Canni were gay, i was more pointing out they are overrated.

Ok, do you actually even like metal?
Somebody ate our dad, we will throw rocks at him from the sky, and put black ants in his air vents. You will make me so mad that I spurt out black semen into your mouth. I will use a megaphone to tell you I'm angry, then hit the air with a hammer, while standing on snakes. I call the grim reaper to cut open his head and eat his brain like in the film Hannibal, then cut his throat and stab his chest with scorpians.
Oh Kali
Oh Sekhmet
Oh Dagon.
Old 2004-09-26, 13:39
Forum Reverend
Forum Leader

Arrow

well maybe he is just above the "biggest" underground metal bands. Morbid Angel has alot of average albums, and Cannibal Corpse never really changes things up.

whats w/your name anyways?? is it a joke about how much Nothingface sucks...or used to cause they are long gone now i asume...good old nu-metal.
Old 2004-09-26, 15:42
Supreme Metalhead

I've always thought VDoP was a little overrated...but CFH ain't too bad.
Old 2004-09-26, 19:48
Noob lud

Nothingface is still around, they changed their name to kingdom of snakes or something gay like that.
Old 2004-09-26, 23:18
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:
They are talked about because they tried to popularize something (metal) by going commercial/poppy or riding a trend train

You are the reason people most people grow out of metal when they have more than 4 pubic hairs.

Pantera wrote some of the most significant metal of the 90s. Anyone who said they didn't is wrong.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."
Old 2004-09-27, 07:42
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingface4TehWin
Pantera are underrated I think - they're much better than Metallica in every single way, and deserve to be crowned kings of metal.

Pantera have better solos, but metallicas riffs were much better. As for kings of metal, they arent even close, slayer piss all over them from a great height.
Old 2004-09-27, 13:23
Senior Metalhead

I agree Chris

I agree Morbid Angel's first two albums were way better than Cannibal's first two BUT I like Altars, I can appreciate Morbid Angel and what they added to Metal, i cannot appreciate What Pantera supposedly added to Metal, those drop tuned bouncy type riffs. I hate that sound and style of "Thrashcore" as they call it, its annoying sound with those barky hardcore vocalists and those "chunky" riffs.

MORBID ANGEL ON THE OTHER HAND actually added something good to metal as did CANNIBAL CORPSE and DEICIDE (Although i am sure the Pantera lovers here will say Pantera was so much more influential and all that load of crap)
Old 2004-09-27, 13:59
Post-whore

Pantera were just as influential as Morbid Angel was, but in different ways and to different bands.

if you listen carefully, you'll notice that many stuff nowadays in the metalcore scene have obvious Pantera influences.