MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2004-09-07, 20:28
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to Exploding Lobster Send a message via MSN to Exploding Lobster Send a message via Yahoo to Exploding Lobster
I am 14 actually
Old 2004-09-07, 20:31
Post-whore

and i like sheep. What's your point?
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...
Old 2004-09-07, 23:02
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Send a message via AIM to timedragon Send a message via MSN to timedragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
man, I was happy to get outta highschool and into uni before we got any of that trendy shit.

i was happy to get out for the same reason, unfortunately i cant say it was before the trendy shit
Old 2004-09-08, 00:01
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Dystopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkill_420
and i like sheep. What's your point?

I think he was talking to someone who asked if he was 12.
Old 2004-09-08, 11:55
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

ATTENTION TRENDKILL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
emo and slipknot stuff eh, how old are you, 12?

man, I was happy to get outta highschool and into uni before we got any of that trendy shit.

Pay attention dumbass!!!
Old 2004-09-08, 15:28
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SixfeetUnder420
Pantera fucking rule. Fuck everyone that doesnt like them.
Old 2004-09-08, 18:12
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixfeetUnder420
Pantera fucking rule. Fuck everyone that doesnt like them.

You like Six Feet Under.
Old 2004-09-08, 18:28
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
ATTENTION TRENDKILL:

Pay attention dumbass!!!

eat me.

I still like sheep.
(that's what qoutes are for, to help lazy pricks like me)
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...
Old 2004-09-08, 19:49
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to DamageFan6984
Big Phil and Dime fan...
We'll Grind That Axe For A Long Time
Old 2004-09-08, 19:57
Post-whore

lol, just in different bands.

and to chris
yesterday don't mean shit.
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...
Old 2004-09-08, 20:04
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
no I don't see those bands as overated, because if a band is still being mentioned now. Than they have stayed the test of time. I may not like them, but it's obvious other people do.

If you look into it, I can almost guarantee that "kyles" vocales were far from original. Come on man, growling, original? blues.
Well If phil sounded like he wanted to be kyle than I suppose you'd see him as phil's idol. Who hasent had an idol at some point in life?

and to argue your "extreme change" theory. Did you not read what I said about influencing the your band? Differnet personalities, different ideas. Phil probably introduced pantera to exhorder, and they said "shit man, that sounds cool. I wanna make music like that "

What's wrong with the steve miller band? lol. Aside from that, we've all done things we we're not proud of. Fact is, we don't go out of our way to bring it up. They may or may not have denied it. Maybe they made a mistake. People fuck up, Just because they're in a band doesn't mean we have to put them under a microscope and critisize every mistake they make. People fuck up.

If people consider them the best or one of the best when in reality they are only above average (which in my opinion they are), then that makes them overrated

Notice the "in my opinion". In your opinion, they are only above average, in your opinion, they are overated. So logic wise, I feel you are incorrect. But opinion wise, i guess you're right

The fact that the masses think that does not make them the best all of a sudden.
Actually, technically it would. Seeing as "best", is better than all others. And you have to base this finding on something. Which would be opinion of better than all others.
The best golfer is judged because people view him as the best. The same theory goes for music.

I don't really have anything left to debate, as I've already planted my points, but there is one thing I would certainly contest, and that's the originality of Kyle's vocals. If you had heard him, you'd have heard somebody truly unique. Nobody sounded like that. Nobody. Listen to the bands of that era- they mostly sounded like Steve Souza, Chuck Billy, Tom Araya, Russ Anderson- you hear those people, some of them are very good, but they are largely similar. When you listen to Kyle, there is only one person who sounded like him- Phil. There's no coincidence there. Pantera didn't suck, but Phil does. He's the least original artist I've ever heard. Like I said before, there's a difference between being influenced by somebody else and completely mimicking their style.
Old 2004-09-08, 20:20
Post-whore

I can see where you are coming from.
I've never heard kyle's singing. But if I take what you're saying, Phil sounds like him. So it's not original. Growling comes from the blues man, 1930-40.
Look at pantera's newer album progression though. Vulgar was a massive change from cfh. So in your opinion were they still "ripping" off exhorder. Every album they had sounds different than the preceding album. So To somewhat justify your arguement, Cowboys from hell the album, is (may be) a ripoff of exhorder, then their music changed. (compare phil's vocals album to album..Lower and lower.)

and to call phil unorginal and "he sucks" is just a sensless attack on the guy. Listen to his singing in down, or songs like "hollow" "This love", etc. That's actual singing. Something MANY heavy metal bands lack.
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...
Old 2004-09-08, 20:34
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Send a message via ICQ to BLS Send a message via AIM to BLS Send a message via Yahoo to BLS
Phil has more than one voice...

and i find it rediculous that you say he stole someones voice..

WTF??

a voice is unique to yourself.. you cant copy it.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
Old 2004-09-08, 20:58
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
I can see where you are coming from.
I've never heard kyle's singing. But if I take what you're saying, Phil sounds like him. So it's not original. Growling comes from the blues man, 1930-40.
Look at pantera's newer album progression though. Vulgar was a massive change from cfh. So in your opinion were they still "ripping" off exhorder. Every album they had sounds different than the preceding album. So To somewhat justify your arguement, Cowboys from hell the album, is (may be) a ripoff of exhorder, then their music changed. (compare phil's vocals album to album..Lower and lower.)

and to call phil unorginal and "he sucks" is just a sensless attack on the guy. Listen to his singing in down, or songs like "hollow" "This love", etc. That's actual singing. Something MANY heavy metal bands lack.

I never said Pantera ripped of Exhorder. I said the borrowed heavily from several highly popular bands in the area, the only two that I listen to (and therefore remember) are Exhorder and Watchtower. Phil, however, completely ripped off Kyle's vocal style. I've heard Phil in other bands, and while he sounds different, he still never sounds original to me no matter how many times I hear him. I've heard his "singing" in some of his Pantera songs, I'm not sure why you would cite "This Love", because his singing is barely singing, and he soon delves into his screams. His singing is weak and always have been (which is why he relied on somebody else's vocal style for so many years), his bad as a guitarist too. Listen to the new Necrophagia, you'll see what I mean.

The blues reference is laughable. I've heard plenty of blues, I've heard the low, rumbling vocals, it is far from comparable to either Kyle or Phil.
Old 2004-09-08, 21:09
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SixfeetUnder420
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv_is_gay
You like Six Feet Under.

WTF does that mean?
Old 2004-09-08, 21:09
Post-whore

for someone as "well read" as you (as you so stated)
you are definately hard to get through to.

I was stating that kyles and phils singing was not orignal due to the fact that it originated from other styles. As much as you think this kyle guys singing is so original, i can guarantee you, you are far from correct. My reference was a vague one, mostly relating the singing style how the throaty growls and southern accent of phil (and kyle..i guess) have similarities to early blues.
The only thing laughable is your arguement. It seems from your blatant attacks on phil that you harbor a dislike for the guy, (for your own odd reasons, seeing as you have never met the man).
Facts are. He can sing. He can hold specific keys for periods of time. Which is definately singing. Aside from my point, he can also scream.

I'll agree his guitar ability is questionable. What does that have to do with what we are discussing? Nothing. He has never played guitar in pantera.

And if you are only saying that pantera borrowed heavily from other bands, than you are saying pantera is a band like any other.
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...
Old 2004-09-08, 23:15
Forum Reverend
Forum Leader

Arrow

Quote:
WTF does that mean?

it means six feet under sucks ass therefor you, and your opinioin does as well.
Old 2004-09-08, 23:16
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
WTF does that mean?

i think six feet under is a crapy show my parents like to watch...

ChrisRezendes: yelling/screaming has been around since the first cave man sat his ass on a cactus needle, you cant steal it, because its not a style of singing, its somthing you do when you get scared at night and run to your mommy (im sure your very familiar with that)

btw: i dont mean to insult screaming as vocals for metal music, it happens to fit with it quite nicely.
..\......./../...\.....\.../../......./..\
....\.../../--.--\.....\/../_....../_._\
...././_._.........\.../../......../...\
../...................\/../_._..../......\
/............................................\
Old 2004-09-08, 23:36
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel-Of-Death
i think six feet under is a crapy show my parents like to watch...

ChrisRezendes: yelling/screaming has been around since the first cave man sat his ass on a cactus needle, you cant steal it, because its not a style of singing, its somthing you do when you get scared at night and run to your mommy (im sure your very familiar with that)

btw: i dont mean to insult screaming as vocals for metal music, it happens to fit with it quite nicely.

Yes but screaming for a style of music, rather than in fear or pain, has actually not been around that long (I think). Whetev I'm not in this argument.
Old 2004-09-10, 01:01
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Just for starters: you all know this all started as a Pantera fan site ages ago, right? I'm not the only one who thinks this is funny, right? Right?

Phil definitely used to sound a lot like Kyle, and I'm sure most of it was deliberate, but not all of it. There are elements of it in his speaking voice, and have been for as early as I can hear, and every other incarnation of his singing voice has retained some of it. Now, true, that could all be one huge elaborate scam, but I don't get it. Keep in mind most of the thrash singers you cite are from the Bay Area, not New Orleans. But the strength of the influence is undeniable. I refuse to agree with the people who say they're just pale Exhorder imitators - I have obth of Exhorders albums and they don't do much for me - but I definitely see their point.

Anyway, my problem with Pantera is this: the more I think about it, the more it seems like it was just Phil. I mean, look at it: they had three crap records, then Phil joins on and they come out with Power Metal, which is a very good record straddling their two real phases. Then there's Cowboys From Hell, which is still straddling but pushing forward to where Vulgar Display of Power's not really a surprise. They've made the remarkable change from glam to hard-hitting motherfuckers; the first few songs off Vulgar Display and Far Beyond Driven make your jaw jutt out like Mussolini. Phil gets meaner and they get uglier, in the cool, musical way, with FBD and The Great Southern Trendkill. Then they take the big break and we get Reinventing the Steel, which is still pretty good but doesn't really do anything, they're not connecting. Why? Phil's feet are getting itchy. He leaves. Down produces a hell of a sophomore album, and Superjoint Ritual makes the album that goes the logical step beyond Trendkill. Dime and Vinnie do nothing for a while, then run down Phil's other projects, then get back together and make DAMAGEPLAN, which sounds like people doing a bad job of being Pantera. Dime doesn't sound like himself, he sounds like somebody playing Dime-style riffs but without the spark. Vinnie's doing Lars Ulrich level stuff. And they get a vocalist who sounds like he's doing a Phil impression - which is funny, if you think about it being a second-hand Kyle impression - but not making it. There's nothing there to the whole thing. When Phil's gone, the soul drops out. And it breaks your heart, because Dime and Vinnie should be doing better.

Anyway, all that doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the music itself, which I enjoy greatly, if not as much as I once did. Damn good band. Glad I had the chance to see 'em live. Their CDs still make my rotation, which is hard, because there are many, many CDs fighting for space, and a lot of the time I'm not in a metal mood at all.