MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-09-02, 09:04
BEHEMOTH
Senior Metalhead

Who WAS THE FIRST USING DOUBLE BASS??

I know that this question isn´t about metal. But i think that the double bass influenced in todays metal. So, do you know who was the first using double bass??

I read was "the Who" drummer, but i don´t know.

Old 2004-09-02, 09:44
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

hmmm I think black sabbath used double bass stuff, but not alot, I think motorhead where the first to get into the idea of using lots of it.

Old 2004-09-02, 14:20
Vargon
New Blood

buddy rich was the first one I belive!

Old 2004-09-02, 14:39
rickyd
New Blood

double bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargon
buddy rich was the first one I belive!

i beleive that you may be right about buddy rich. keith moon was not the first. actually keith moon basicly used his second bass drum for show. though he does use it from time to time. i have read from an artical interview with kenny jones( keiths best friend) that "he never got the hang of it"

Old 2004-09-02, 14:45
Krow_666
New Blood
Banned

Lightbulb I HAVE YOUR ANSWER

HTHE FIRST PERSON TO USE DOUBLE BASS, WAS NONE OTHER THAN OZZY OSBOURNE'S TOMMY ALRIDGE (OVER THE MOUNTAIN). ALTHOUGH BLACK SABBATH STARTED THE THREAD, TOMY PERFECTED IT.YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT.

Old 2004-09-02, 14:45
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

i heard buddy rich was the first one to do a blast beat too

Old 2004-09-02, 14:48
rickyd
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krow_666
HTHE FIRST PERSON TO USE DOUBLE BASS, WAS NONE OTHER THAN OZZY OSBOURNE'S TOMMY ALRIDGE (OVER THE MOUNTAIN). ALTHOUGH BLACK SABBATH STARTED THE THREAD, TOMY PERFECTED IT.YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT.

actutally, tommy aldridge did "not" record over the mountain. there has been big controversy on this for years because the drummer ( who ever it was ) did not get credit for this track. double bassing started before sabbath

Old 2004-09-02, 15:31
sainttex
New Blood

Keith Moon (the who)
and Ginger Baker (Cream) are the first two that i know of. Anyone know otherwise?

~Sainttex

Old 2004-09-02, 21:29
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Jimmy Hendriks?

i have a video, pretty old and the drummer has a double bass.

On the other hand, i have the woodstock dvd, '69 it was, and allmost all bands had a double kit. Jimmy Hendrik, The Who and Joe Cocker for sure.

Old 2004-09-03, 02:21
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

just for definitions, are you lot talking about just having 2 bass drums, or doing the whole RLRLRLRLRLRLRLRL as part as a beat.

because the former is old, but the later (actually using double bass continously) I believe was started by Motorhead.

and I don't think Buddy rich double bassed, I always thuoght he just had a bloody good heel toe action. and he did not create the blast beat, I mean it was used as a fill etc WAAAAy before then but to actually use it as a beat, all the way through a section I believe was first done by suffocation.

Old 2004-09-03, 15:01
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
and he did not create the blast beat, I mean it was used as a fill etc WAAAAy before then but to actually use it as a beat, all the way through a section I believe was first done by suffocation.

Napalm Death were the pioneers of the non-fill blast beat.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2004-09-03, 15:22
rickyd
New Blood

after further research, it was actually louie belson. i dont know how some of you think this started in the 70's and 80's.

Old 2004-09-03, 16:58
omdthrash
Metalhead

louis bellson was the first guy to become famous for using it, but he was not the first to try it. The first that I could find was a guy named Ray McKinley who used it in 1940 with some big band. He didn't like it very much so he stopped using it.
buddy rich didn't use double bass, probably because he was fast enough with a single foot. and yeah, i suppose you ould say he was the first so blast, but it wasn't really a blast. he only used it for a few beats at a time during his solos. he was fast enough to play metal if he wanted to though, what a beast...

Old 2004-09-03, 21:08
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd
after further research, it was actually louie belson. i dont know how some of you think this started in the 70's and 80's.

Double Bass or blast beating?

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2004-09-04, 00:37
rickyd
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by omdthrash
louis bellson was the first guy to become famous for using it, but he was not the first to try it. The first that I could find was a guy named Ray McKinley who used it in 1940 with some big band. He didn't like it very much so he stopped using it.
buddy rich didn't use double bass, probably because he was fast enough with a single foot. and yeah, i suppose you ould say he was the first so blast, but it wasn't really a blast. he only used it for a few beats at a time during his solos. he was fast enough to play metal if he wanted to though, what a beast...

thank you.

Old 2004-09-05, 05:01
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Interesting thread.
My first guess would be Black Sabbath, but its been said that they werent.

Old 2004-09-06, 23:46
tylertherobot
New Blood

I don't think anyone was the "first" person to use double bass. Most double bass drum kits back in the day were used a different way then just standard metal double bass parts.

For instance, usually in hair metal bands who had double bass drums EXTENSIVEly would just use another bass drum when one of their feet got tired, that's why in double bass sets you'll often see a hi-hat on either side of the kit.

The Black Sabbath drummer is a God, I have a friend named Keith who used to live in England and knew him, he could do drumrolls with his hands and feet and have them perfectly in sync, how many people can HONESTLY say they can do this at a pace around 1000bpms? Not many.

ANYWAY, the fact of the matter is, I think double bass parts have been around since before the bass pedal was made, when people had to kick the bass drum with their foot to get any type of effect....

Just my two cents and how I think it might have happened :|

Old 2004-09-09, 03:18
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainttex
Keith Moon (the who)
and Ginger Baker (Cream) are the first two that i know of. Anyone know otherwise?

~Sainttex

I dont know about Keith Moon but I agree that Ginger Baker was one of the first drummers to use dubble bass. He fucking rules.

Old 2004-09-10, 16:55
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

The drummer from Primal Fear has a dual setup I think (from what I could tell when I saw them live), where he has a hi-hat and a ride on either side of the kit, obviously being in Primal Fear he's using double kick beats all the time, but he seemed to like switching hands to do stuff. He also liked spinning his sticks throught the slow beats....

I wouldn't have though anyone metal would be the frist to use double kick beats at all. Surely some progressive jazz dude was the first...they are the first to do anything!