MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-08-31, 23:02
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

faster blasts

I've been working on this technique for a while now and it's sounds fucking sick, I play these blasts pretty much like a normal blast but with my left hand I hit the snare and hi-hats at the same time, so I hit the snare with the head of the stick and the hi-hats with the butt of it, so it's kinda like doing a drum roll at top speed with a bass hit to match each snare hit and the hi-hat is doing half notes it's hard to explain but I've noticed alot drummers doing it now, it's fucking sick and I can do them soooo fast, at least 280bpm.
Listen to Origin's 2nd cd Informus, Infinitas, Inhumanus. Song 5 (portal) the first beat is the technique in which I speak of.

Old 2004-09-01, 00:22
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

dude... portals track 6, the one with the interview with a vampire clip in front of it. but sick, if you can drum anything that longstreth can, you got my respect.

Old 2004-09-01, 00:41
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

No portal IS track 5 ass

and im pretty damn sure that ive never seen/heard john doing those kinds of blasts

he does the roll with ONE hand thats a real gravity blast

if you doubt me i will link you to video of a gravity blast, or send you an origin live video

Old 2004-09-01, 03:25
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Track five is definatly portal and John definatly DOES do these he is the one who gave me the idea, also when I saw Dying Fetus with Skinless when John was their drummer I asked him about it and that is what he described it as so I started fuckin with it, but yeah John definatly uses this technique, there is NO WAY any human can reach that speed with one hand NO WAY AT ALL it's too fuckin fast.

Old 2004-09-01, 06:04
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

seems like I have a new technique I need to practice.

Old 2004-09-01, 13:46
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

pm me for a video of a ONE HANDED gravity blast

and i have an origin live video where john cleary gravity blasts ONLY on the snare

Old 2004-09-01, 18:07
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

again I don't belive it's physically possible to reach those speeds with one hand, human bodies do have limits, shitty but very true.

Old 2004-09-01, 22:59
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

anybody else sense a hint of "Nobody can be better than me!" ?
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-09-02, 03:39
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE
again I don't belive it's physically possible to reach those speeds with one hand, human bodies do have limits, shitty but very true.

there is a trick to it

you need to use the rim of the snare

trust me on this one, Flo mounier was showing ppl at a cryptopsy concert i was at

Old 2004-09-02, 03:47
omdthrash
Metalhead

yep the rim snare trick works real well. here's a hint: if you use promark sticks, place where the black band around the stick is right on the rim right where the weight of the stick is balanced. from there, kinda hold the stick more loosely than normal but still sorta firm between your thumb and index finger. then you kinda gotta pump your arm up and down. the idea is that the stick hits on the downbeat and when you bring your arm up it catches the head of the snare again. its really not that hard.
is a gravity blast any different than that? whoever it was, send me that video if its different.
the one example i know of this trick (there have to be more that i haven't paid attention to) is on dying fetus' stop at nothing, onslaught of malice (i think its track 7?)

Last edited by omdthrash : 2004-09-02 at 03:54.

Old 2004-09-02, 05:34
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

hmmmm my blast beats at the moment are all in my arms

I am going to borrow a phrase from the fastest guitarist in the world (I can't remember his name) but it was:

Finger tapping is for pussies, REAL mena pick every note.

now paraphrase that to drumming....

Old 2004-09-02, 11:45
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

blast beats in the arms?

they should be all in the wrists

ive been playing drums a for a week(seriously) and am pretty damn for only 1 week of playing,

right now im trying to figure out if there is any way i can relax my bicep muscele while blasting because if i can figure that out i could blast for hours non stop

Old 2004-09-02, 14:19
Vargon
New Blood

they should be in the fingers

Old 2004-09-02, 14:44
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

ya he is kind of right

you need to use your fingers alot too not just to hold to stick though...

Old 2004-09-02, 15:20
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Vargon is very right, I blast using only my fingers, I've worked hard as fuck at getting all of my fingers strong enough to blast with now I can blast just as loud and fast with my pinkys as I can with my ring or middle finger.

I see there is a trick to it, looks like I NEED to practice that.

Old 2004-09-03, 02:16
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I actually alternate between wrists and arms, the theory is when one gets tired you can keep going on the other for a wee while, but I never got the hang of using my fingers, accept for accents, my fingers aren't dextrous enough.

Old 2004-09-03, 17:08
omdthrash
Metalhead

yeah blasts are mostly in the fingers, a little bit of wrist action too. when it gets up to a certain speed, i use kind of a whip motion with my right arm (which i always play the cymbals with). the left hand needs to have the same force with every hit or the blast sounds like shit, but its not so important with the right hand. the whip saves energy so you can play more comfortably for longer periods of time. my weakness there is that not all the notes on the cymbals sound completely even. i've heard a lot of examples of this. Doc from vader uses it, the most obvious example i can think of is on Whisper from Revelations. it has another benefit, that you can always tell where the downbeat is because its the loudest hit, for anybody that plays with guitar players that can't count and always get fucked up in the songs...