MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2004-08-24, 21:06
guitar_demon
MotörCat

high pitched

anyone have any tips for hitting thos really high notes i.e tim owens or chuck on their cover of painkiller??
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2004-08-24, 21:20
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

put a little pressure on your troath, so you don't open it all the way when singing (well the chords and shit) that way you'll get that death-metallish sound...

if you want the gurgly highpitched stuff, drink thick yoghurt, it helped me a lot, sounds weird but just try, it gives you a lot of slime in your troath.

mm, difficult to explain all this in proper english, I hope you get the idea..

Old 2004-08-24, 22:19
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Don't whisper, and don't lift your chin high in the air. That only strains your neck. Look forward and OPEN your mouth wide. It's a different range than your talking, so you can "say" it.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2004-08-25, 03:19
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

try inhaling, when you sing, it works for me
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-08-25, 03:33
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
put a little pressure on your troath, so you don't open it all the way when singing (well the chords and shit) that way you'll get that death-metallish sound...

if you want the gurgly highpitched stuff, drink thick yoghurt, it helped me a lot, sounds weird but just try, it gives you a lot of slime in your troath.

mm, difficult to explain all this in proper english, I hope you get the idea..

warm water helps too.

NOT COLD

WARM!

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-08-25, 07:27
Dystopia
Post-whore

I always heard it's good to warm up before doing a any kind of vocals. Try singing a few scales before you practice.

Old 2004-08-25, 07:37
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
warm water helps too.

NOT COLD

WARM!

true, cold water ruins your vocal chords, warm water does not.

and if you wanna go motorhead style, just take 10 bottles of JD with ya on stage

Old 2004-08-25, 10:54
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

rocketsausce help aswell

Old 2004-08-25, 22:30
guitar_demon
MotörCat

rocketsauce??
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2004-08-25, 22:33
Chokehold
Senior Metalhead
Banned

wtf is rocketsauce?
All you have to do is a growl and make your voice higher. Only some people, like me, are good at growling though

Old 2004-08-25, 23:38
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

rocketsauce is the best, warm, thick, soft, white...

Old 2004-08-25, 23:41
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

ewwwwwwwwwwww

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-08-25, 23:58
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

im sure thedoctor takes is thick white sauce for other reasons
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-08-26, 01:58
Chokehold
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Yum,hot vinilla pudding.
lol
or some cum.

Old 2004-08-26, 03:24
powersofterror
Forum Leader

, TCBY man.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2004-08-26, 11:02
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

"It really helps you sing" - Kyle Gass, Tenacious D

singing scales is a very good exercize to sing high, also you must stay relaxed, don't put funny faces and stuff, singing calmly give you way more possebilities

Old 2004-08-26, 19:45
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
rocketsauce is the best, warm, thick, soft, white...

HAHA.

Old 2004-08-26, 21:32
Dystopia
Post-whore

We need a rocksauce Sobe.

Old 2004-08-27, 23:45
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

If you want to growl I suggest you eat Extreem B.B.Q. Chips and Root Beer. It helps for growling. Screeching..hmm. Depends what screams you want.

Dani Filth type screams or Dimmu Borgir type rasps-Warm Water and Ice Cream

Any grindcore type or Dark Funeral type screams-Root Beer would do fine.

I only know this since I can go as low as Nile/Mortician/Mallignancy, Medium range like Dark Funeral/Dimmu/Napalm Death/ Cannibal Corpse and Six Feet Under and I can go to high Grindcore like screams like Pig Destroyer/ Exhumed and Carcass. I can go as high as Dani Filth but I havent practiced for a while I'll see if I can do it tonight.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2004-08-28, 01:32
Chokehold
Senior Metalhead
Banned

FOR THE LAST TIME, YOU DONT NEED FOOD OR DRINKS TO HELP YOU SCREAM!!!!!!

Old 2004-08-28, 04:41
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Yeah, you just need life...

........so THAT's why you guys can't do it right...........
kidding though

This is my band's page

Old 2004-12-17, 19:32
kadabr
New Blood

.. I have to agree. The only way to get good growls is to practice and practice often. You can however use something like warm tea with lemon to clear your throat and soothe your vocal cords.

Old 2004-12-22, 03:18
GravelFistFM
New Blood

its like working out to a certain extent. it calls for constant work, if you take time to dink around, your hard work will go to hell. and personally i really dont want to lose my work just cuz i slack off. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. after you practice though, rest, healing is also an important aspect of making your voice sound a certain way. you dont try to do too much if your a noob. take it in steps and rest in between practice sessions so your vioce dont sound like some one drove a power drill down your throat.

this is your throat on power drill

Old 2005-01-01, 12:12
GNR
New Blood

Guitar_Demon. Your signature says it all.
Have you figured out How to hit the High Notes without vocal injury?

Old 2005-01-03, 04:47
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Ya know what i've noticed? If you want to scream high....don't use falsetto...just scream...it's the same thing, but I figured out about a week ago that I can "sing" as high as the dude sings on malmsteen's alchemy album on Leonardo. If you think falsetto, you'll strain your neck and voice box by making your adam's apple go back into your neck. But if you *think* scream, you'll [literally] scream and obviously it'll be high.

This is my band's page

Old 2005-01-03, 19:48
darkexodite
New Blood

Hmmm having tried that myself a while back I kinda agree. The problem is that not everyone can go as high as they want, some people have it some don't. Like for instance, I can't hit the high notes that my back up vocalist can, I just can't, I can get close and with more training get better at it, but my natural voice is somewhere in the middle, though I can go pretty deep at times.
But, I guess if you realy try just screaming it, trying to not screw up your chords while doing so , you can achieve it.

Old 2005-01-18, 02:28
GravelFistFM
New Blood

i like to sing KsE, but a friend told me that the white guy was better, like more crazy. anyways KsE's singing is full of a wide spectrum of highs and lows. if you sing just highs, thats all youre gonna be able to do, if you sing all lows, the same will happen. sing everythign high and low, and in between, no matter what, u will be able to sing higher and lower than before

Old 2005-04-03, 23:36
Norther
New Blood
Banned

why does it help to drink all these liquids that u guys r saying to help ur voice

Old 2005-04-04, 14:39
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

HAHAHAHA, YOU'RE SO FUNNY!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

Old 2005-04-04, 16:57
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

hey does anyone know why that norther guy got more banned than a black person from the KKK?

Old 2005-04-04, 17:12
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

he was 12, somewhere it's stated that you must be over 13 to register. So he's suspended for a year.

also, he was being a total newb, retard ass making dumb threads and asking stupid questions in the wrong places

Old 2005-04-05, 14:55
GravelFistFM
New Blood

anyways he prolly dont know what he was talking about anyways...

Old 2005-04-05, 15:27
GravelFistFM
New Blood

try intake for high pitches

Old 2005-04-20, 22:47
Jamento
Metalhead

I don't know what you're talking about with all these 'intake screams'. To me that just sounds, uh, retarded. I also think it should be noted that drinking/eating things doesnt help your voice make noises. If anything it helps your voice heal after you shred it up by screaming. I can have a vocal range where I can go as low as cannibal corpse and as high as cradle (actually a little higher, but it doesnt sound as good) The reason I think I can do this is because I have been growling/screaming along to songs from both the bands for several years.

Old 2005-05-11, 17:35
GravelFistFM
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamento
I don't know what you're talking about with all these 'intake screams'. To me that just sounds, uh, retarded. I also think it should be noted that drinking/eating things doesnt help your voice make noises. If anything it helps your voice heal after you shred it up by screaming. I can have a vocal range where I can go as low as cannibal corpse and as high as cradle (actually a little higher, but it doesnt sound as good) The reason I think I can do this is because I have been growling/screaming along to songs from both the bands for several years.

Randy Blithe from Lamb of God does intake...try running laps around a fooball field at top speed. when u feel like ur going to pass out, gasping for breath, listen when u breath in, ur dragging air across your vocal cords in a "retarded" way. thats the only example i could think of >-< but that is "intake" growling/screaming in a way

Old 2005-07-26, 16:44
iceddemon
New Blood

before you can worry about getting the scratchy sound that halford or chuck make on the high notes, just worry about hitting those notes... when you hit these high notes you shouldn't use your throat at all, your entire larynx (sp?) should be completely relaxed, as well as your jaw and tongue... this allows your vocal chords to resonate freely... so you must be completely relaxed... now when you inhale, make sure you inhale properly... inhale as if you're filling up your stomach... you're really just filling up your lungs obviously, and this pushes down your diaphram into your guts and shit and pushes out the sides... once you've gotten this down you need to learn to control the air leaving by strengthening your diaphram.... just inhale and then count 1 2 3 4 5 in a comfortable singing voice until your voice strains or you run out of breath.... never suck in your stomach to keep counting... once you can reach about 25 then you're doing pretty good...
as said a few times before, singing scales helps increasing your range, but to hit those really high notes you have to have the proper mindset... most people think to hit the high notes you have to push up and reach up for those high notes, that's the wrong way of thinking.... you need to think of landing down on the notes from even higher above, and you need to think of pushing forward from behind your back... this helps the sound rise strait up from inside you and project it forward....
a good warmup exercise is to push your hands up against your cheeks and then vibrate your lips... that's the best way i can explain it... you should go through scales this way, it helps get resonance and helps you to hit higher notes easier... once you do this, then do some scales with a whiney "nay" sound and try to hit those high notes, then with the "mum" sound....
once you get good head voice and your range goes from chest voice to head voice, you need to learn to bridge the gap so your voice doesn't crack between the two registers.... i'm not very good at it, but the only thing i can say is try to reach the lower head voice notes with your chest voice and the higher chest voice notes with your head voice... this helps and with practice it can get rid of that crack between registers....
and for the scratchy vocals like halford and chuck, you gotta get that scratchy sensation from your nose, it's hard for me to explain, but that's how i can do it... you gotta just push it to your nose... if you make the noise with your throat then you'll fuck yourself up... that's about all i can really tell you right now.... if you go to www.vocalist.uk.org they have more stuff there

Old 2005-08-05, 05:36
eyehatepop89
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia
We need a rocksauce Sobe.

LMAO!!!

Old 2005-10-11, 15:26
GravelFistFM
New Blood

just go all out and trash the shit outa your voice. thats fuckin \m/ right there. dont worry about the techinal shit u cant to, just go crazy. the more u worry about being perfect the more u suck.

Old 2005-10-16, 03:41
LuciferianSoul
Metalhead

Eh.. I just strongly agree on the point that you do NOT need food or drink to help you sing, scream or growl. That's just bullshit. It's like saying drinking coffee makes you better at playing guitar. They are two totally irrelevant things.

Just make sure you're hydrating yourself, that's all. Else if you keep going with a really dry throat, you'll do some damage.

If drinking this or that make things harder for you, don't drink it. Just do whatever works, but remember if you are relying soley on some type of food or drink besides water to perform, you're just using it as a cruch for your crappyness. So learn to sing well without having to 'drink thick yoghurt' or 'take a swig of vodka and eat some grass' or whatever the hell else people have suggested.

And practise.

I couldn't sing more than a line when I first attempted to growl.
It just took time and practise to get better and develop my own sound.
If you lose your growling/screaming/whatever, stop for the day and wait until tomorrow to continue. Thats the point where you need to leave your throat to heal up.

Old 2005-10-18, 23:47
SicSyco
Metalhead

Talking

take big breaths and just push with your diaphram.

but first you'll need to exercise your diaphram and lungs to be able to handle a strenuous activity such as this.

Old 2005-10-21, 14:55
GravelFistFM
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferianSoul
If drinking this or that make things harder for you, don't drink it. Just do whatever works, but remember if you are relying soley on some type of food or drink besides water to perform, you're just using it as a cruch for your crappyness. So learn to sing well without having to 'drink thick yoghurt' or 'take a swig of vodka and eat some grass' or whatever the hell else people have suggested.

And practise.

If you lose your growling/screaming/whatever, stop for the day and wait until tomorrow to continue. Thats the point where you need to leave your throat to heal up.

right. finally some straight to the point sheyat. if you dont do it on your own, then dont fuckin do it

Old 2005-10-22, 02:28
Throat Crusher
Senior Metalhead

Actualy I just practised for an hour, and where as I did it last night and it hurt realy bad, but now im getting the hang on it. My voice isnt getting much deeper like someone said but its all cool with me. I have kind of a high voice, not like gay high, just average, and my freind just makes me randomly growl words out to freak little kids out. But yeah my last practise session rocked more ass than Ron Jeremey. A lot of it I owe to you guys, or else I would probaly become a pussie like Chris Barnes is. Dont get me wrong, I love him and His music, but When Anal Cunt kick his ass he is a pussy lol.

Old 2005-10-25, 15:31
GravelFistFM
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throat Crusher
I have kind of a high voice, not like gay high, just average, and my freind just makes me randomly growl words out to freak little kids out.

hahaha im glad you caught urself calling you a fag. i growl at little kids too. yo, im gonna be phil anselmo for halloween, so im gonna freak some kids out. "And pass the Cemetery...GATES!!!"

Old 2005-10-26, 01:03
Throat Crusher
Senior Metalhead

lol. Eh like most people who are down with death metal and all, halloween isnt realy one of my favorite hollidays. So ill probaly be at home, or at my GF's or somthing. Just not out trick or treating, or scaring little kids.

Old 2005-10-28, 00:26
Jacob
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokehold
FOR THE LAST TIME, YOU DONT NEED FOOD OR DRINKS TO HELP YOU SCREAM!!!!!!

Yea i second that.. Honestly whats up with all of this food/drink stuff? It doesn't work. Don't growl/scream with your throat!!! If you do that then eating/drinking anything wont have an effect. All eating and drink will do is make how you sing not hurt worse because your doing it wrong in the first place.