MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-08-10, 11:59
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Teachers

Do you have a teacher, or are you self taught, and what is your opinion on teachers in general, and if you have a teacher, does your teacher kick ass?

My teacher grew up on punk, so for ages he played punk, but now he's playing jazz mostly. He's been playing for over 20 years already but he's not "old".I'd say he's in his early thirties. I get a half and hour lesson each week. His advice never failed me.Of course, I would be a little happier if my teacher had more of a background in metal, but he's teaching me stuff that applies to most genres that require roughness and power, so it's all good.

I used to have a terrible violin teacher. She had terrible technique and made my violin screech when she played it, but she was qualified and shit. She did teach me a good bit on piano, but it wasn't good enough. I quit violin partially because of her.

I'm against being self taught if you can afford a teacher. A lot of errors people make in drum technique can significantly deplete your sound (DUH, I'm sorry I'm stating the obvious) and someone more experienced can really help., unless the teacher is some spotty guy who's self taught himself for 5 years and can only play a basic rock beat.

Yay.

Old 2004-08-11, 06:43
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

well I am officially drum teacher now!!

(a chick I now has insisted on paying my $10 an hour for drum lessons)

I was aught for about 2-3 years and have been self taught for about the same period of time, I wuold like to get a jazz teacher, but I just haven't got round to it, and I don't have the money.

for teachers I would say the main thing is that you get along with your teacher, I have had a teacher that was a brilliant drummer but a complete arse and so I ditched him real quick, I have had other teachers that maybe weren't as technically gifted but were better people which helped my drumming heaps.

I am not against self tuition as long as you getr the basics right, once you have those there is not tooooooo much need for a teacher, but I would stil recomend one.

Old 2004-08-11, 21:20
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

I self taught myself until about 2 weeks ago. My teacher has helped me tons to read music, etc. I am glad I am taking them now because there are a few things that I have been doing wrong and if I waited any longer I wouldn't be able to break these habits. Mine is cool, he is the manager at guitar center and hooks me up. He is into same shit almost as me, plays stuff like Led Zep and is real good at jazz style so exactly what I wanted. 35 bucks for a little over an hour isn't bad at all even though it goes by really quick but every time I go I have lots of questions for him that get answered right away and they are the truth so it helps me a ton.
twilight casts spells on those who espouse their fate

ice pricks necks like knives, leaving shards of cadaverous skin
tears spout from eyes, shunned from mankind's den
(Prayer For Cleansing/ "A Dead Soal Born")

Old 2004-08-13, 06:31
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

Ive been taking lessions for about 2 years. My teacher has been teaching me to play really technical stuff. He has opened me to alot of different stuff I would of never learned on my own. I think lessions are really good to have. But i think you still have to teach yourself somethings. If you just take lessions and dont do anything on your own you wont have any of your own style.