MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2004-09-23, 08:45
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Cloaca Send a message via MSN to Cloaca Send a message via Yahoo to Cloaca
I agree, 5 strings is enough, but if you could play the 8 string properly (and by that I mean some psycho shit we haven't heard before), then why the fuck not, eh?
Old 2004-11-01, 18:10
Senior Metalhead

6 Strings too much?

When I owned a four string I thought 5 would satisfy my desire. The fifth string (B) is extremely useful when you're playing something pretty high and have to suddenly go a lot lower. You do not have to move all the way down the neck to do so.
As I'm improving and learning more classical stuff, I'm beginning to wish I had a sixth string. When you play a song and you have to play a long fill with continous sixteenth notes, it can be difficult moving down from the 16th fret on the G all the way down to the 2nd fret on the B. If I had a sixer I could at least start on the 11th fret, which would make it much easier. It also is annoying to have to play up at the 20-24 frets on the G because the frets are so close together that a semitone trill means you have to be carefull one finger leaves enough room for the other, if you understand what I'm trying to say.
6 may not be necessary, but it really would help.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.
Old 2004-11-01, 19:29
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

I tried a six string the other day in local music shop.. i really hated it.. i mean yeah you got a higher string.. good for like octaves and higher notes for like solo bass.. but the strings were so close together and the neck was so damn wide! didnt like it at all, but whatever floats your boat go for it.. just my opinion on the case. jon myung makes it look so easy and comfortable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.
Old 2004-11-02, 13:19
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatter3d
I tried a six string the other day in local music shop.. i really hated it.. i mean yeah you got a higher string.. good for like octaves and higher notes for like solo bass.. but the strings were so close together and the neck was so damn wide! didnt like it at all, but whatever floats your boat go for it.. just my opinion on the case. jon myung makes it look so easy and comfortable..

I honestly don't see what's the big deal about a wider neck. I've also tried out a 6er in my local music store, and I could easily reach the B string. And I have pretty small hands too. As for the string difference, it took me a couple of months to get fully used to the difference of a five string, so it should be about the same (or a little longer) for a 6. The only reason I wouldn't like a wide neck is that barring the strings would be more difficult. Luckily that is not needed very often, and I personally never play chords with more than four strings, I find it just sounds bad with more than that.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.
Old 2004-11-02, 14:09
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Yeah i can reach the B string, but it still feels uncomfortable, me being used to 4 string neck.. so thats probably it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.
Old 2004-11-22, 00:20
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SlayerDude Send a message via MSN to SlayerDude
I saw, (and was able to play...in the store) an 8-string bass...it was..."Unique" needless to say. It felt ok, (since I have big hands...and I play bass after all...but it was WAY too big even for me.) but I have too big of fingers and I couldn't deal with it...I'll just stick to 4-5 string basses for now.