MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-07-03, 08:42
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

What do you do about saving your hearing?

I'm a drummer newbie and I just got my first kit today(WHOPEE YAY! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^). I practiced for 3 hours and now I'm close to vomiting now because it's so fucking LOUD! I didn't wear earplugs. I practiced on school kits before that and my teacher's kit and I never had this problem.

I spoke to a New Zealander on thursday who played drums for 4-5 years. He told me to get earmuffs because he's nearly deaf now.

My drum teacher lost a lot of his hearing, but now he uses custom made earplugs (they reduce 25 decibels(sp?)) and he wears earmuffs that remove just as much sound.

So, I'm wondering... About how careful are you with your hearing? I want to hear some gory warning stories too.

Old 2004-07-03, 08:57
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

im not a drummer, so i dont have that issuesince guitars and amps come with volume knobs, but when i wnet to see slayer 3 years ago, it was one of the first gigs i ever went to, it was FUCKING loud, and i didnt have any kind of ear protection, concequently i couldnt hear properly for a week
i ve been to gigs without earplugs since and they werent as bad
these days i always have earplugs for concerts, maybe im just paranoid, but i think my ears are already going, as when its dead silent i get ringing in my ears (and im only 19 )
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-07-03, 09:23
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I have been playing for about 6 years, never worn earplugs and my hearing is fine, I think some people are more snesitive to the sound of drums than others but there is 2 ways to combat this, first buy ear plugs or the cheap option, learn to play soft, I cannot do 32nd ssrolls round the kit without playing loud, I envy Jazz drummers, because they can play fast as fuck, but softly, that takes great skill, something I havn't got alot of.....

Old 2004-07-03, 11:34
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

you should use earplugs, i started using them whilst drumming because my mom made me. But its important. Also with band rehearsal and gigs.

Old 2004-07-04, 11:30
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Today a friend of mine came over with a guitar and industrial earplugs. 27 % volume reduction, just what I needed. I practiced all day today and I don't feel as sick as I did yesterday. My head still hurts very badly and I feel kinda sick. Maybe I should protect my sensitive hearing a little better.

Old 2004-07-04, 13:51
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I use those alpine earplugs but I was born half deaf, I don't want to lose what I got left.

Old 2004-07-04, 14:04
Pentacle
Senior Metalhead

I use nothing

Old 2004-07-04, 16:35
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

tard

Old 2004-07-04, 17:52
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

I have these huge headphone like earplugs. Their used by the people who wave the planes by and shit. They work well for drummers. But i usually just use normal foam earplugs when we play loud, same for concerts, the earplugs acually help clear up the sound too... exspoecially in arena's wear the sound bounces off the wall.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-07-04, 18:56
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I've know a few drummers that never used hearing protection and all of them complain that their ears constantly ring with the sound of a cymbal crash.

Even small ear plugs will take the edge off loud music and that is enough to greatly reduce hearing damage. Drummers really need to use something. There are ear plugs made for musicians that make no difference to how the music sounds but greatly reduce the SPL ( sound pressure levels ) that causes hearing loss.

Old 2004-07-04, 19:43
Pentacle
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
tard

does that fender thing fit in your ass?

Old 2004-07-04, 21:09
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

it'll murder your ears if it has to

Old 2004-07-04, 23:59
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Oooh, half assed flaming! Yeah, maybe he/she is being careless about his/her ears, but afterall, it's not your hearing that's going down the shitter.

While wearing ear plugs or ear phones the bacteria count in your ear multiplies by 700 every our. Ear infections galore.

Old 2004-07-05, 01:27
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

yeah I probably should get hearing protection, but I can't afford it, spen all my money on an Axis Longboard double kick, bloody worth it though!!!!

Old 2004-07-05, 03:06
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

The earplugs I have cost 4 AUD and they are made for light machinery operators. A friend of mine promised to get me some heavy machinery ear plugs from work.

Quote:
Noise-induced hearing loss - Hearing loss that is caused either by a one-time or repeated exposure to very loud sound(s) or sounds at various loudness levels over an extended period of time.

Acquired deafness - loss of Hearing that occurs or develops over the course of a lifetime; deafness not present at birth.

YAY

Old 2004-07-05, 09:34
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
While wearing ear plugs or ear phones the bacteria count in your ear multiplies by 700 every our. Ear infections galore.

what about cleaning your ears on a regular basis? Beats the shit out of being def when you're 30.

Old 2004-07-05, 09:41
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Still doesn't help. I landed an ear infection. It hurts like fuck and I can't play. I scrape my ears clean every day. There should be a happy medium!

Old 2004-07-05, 09:55
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

when the infection's over buy new plugs (ofcourse), and clean your ears before and after you use em.

Or get those big headphone things BLS is talking about

Old 2004-07-05, 14:51
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

id just use proper bid headphones that fit into the input of any guitar amp. if it isnt enough fill em with tissue paper [the phones off course]

also, have you ever seen those gian pillow that are like 50cm thick and a meter by a meter long? throw them around the rome. lik 3-4, and they absorb sound easy. my cousin has a doublekick set so he needs about 5.

i normally go with headphones with the pillows. im only 14 and my ears eternally ring from my loud music, so ive toned that down and i use all the protection now.
and i think they are getting better! maybe cos im young or sumtin

Old 2004-07-05, 16:41
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
Oooh, half assed flaming! Yeah, maybe he/she is being careless about his/her ears, but afterall, it's not your hearing that's going down the shitter.

Same with headphones. If you have good hygene it wont matter.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-07-05, 19:14
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

When I work construction I wear ear plugs, but for concerts/guitar, I just suck it up. I'm sure I wil pay for that eventually though.

Old 2004-07-06, 09:46
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

my ears used to ring a bit if I went hard on the cymbals for ages, but now I hit lighter (well sometimes....) and I don't get ringing when I do, as for double kicking, I don't really notice that it has much affect, besides I have noticed it is possible to go quite fast but not so loud with longboards, I think it might the greater sensitivity or something, but lets face it when should double kicking be quiet????

NEVER

Old 2004-07-06, 18:22
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

After my first metal concert, my ears rang and buzzed on the word "s"(haha) for about 2-3 days. Minimal damage. It helps to have a larger head.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2004-07-07, 01:03
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

every time your ears ring, it signals permenant damage.
think about that.
i wear plugs when i jam loud.
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-07-13, 04:32
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
I use those alpine earplugs but I was born half deaf, I don't want to lose what I got left.

No wonder why you have the name you do.. haha. Just messing but anyways. I don't wear ear plugs. I have an Aviom set up so I have those big head phones and have that clear wall in front of my set and with the head phones on it blocks out everything on the outside so it's like ear plugs. Without all that though I still don't wear nothing, it doesn't bother me since I am already bad at hearing. My dad can barely hear anymore and has a constant ringing in his ears but that was from guns and deep sea diving and some other things. If you don't have bad hearing already or even if you do then I recommend you get some right away. I need to find some that won't effect the music but will help your hearing like soulinsane was talking about.
twilight casts spells on those who espouse their fate

ice pricks necks like knives, leaving shards of cadaverous skin
tears spout from eyes, shunned from mankind's den
(Prayer For Cleansing/ "A Dead Soal Born")

Old 2004-09-10, 03:39
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

Ive been playing for 5 years and ive used ear plugs only a couple times and my hearing is fine. But I probably should start wearing them I dont want to go def when im like 30. That would suck.