MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
Old 2004-08-31, 21:30
New Blood

BLEEEEH

I've seen a lot of people say 'force air through your throat' and vocal cords a lot on this thread. This is very bad for your cords - and your singing carrer will be very short if you do this. Plus it sounds like crap. Always use your diaphragm.

Another question i see a lot is 'I want to sound like ::insert vocalist/bandname here::' This isn't the kind of innovative thinking that should go into music. Plus its going to be near impossible to recreate this. Its like telling somone who sounds like Roseanne Arnold to talk like the huge mofo from everybody loves raymond. Come up with your own sound of vocals. It will feel better to you... and i know if i hear somone trying to sound like somone else my first though is 'what an unoriginal douche...'

Lastly: Experiment - but keep in mind if your voice starts to hurt from something you are doing. STOP for the day. drink a lot of water and start again when they dont hurt anymore. remember NEVER scream without warming up first. Hum or do some other warmup before you scream. Soon you will be able to scream all damn day and be comfortable. the way it should be.

-Sainttex

Last edited by sainttex : 2004-08-31 at 21:33.
Old 2004-09-01, 00:48
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Dystopia
Nice first post.
Old 2004-09-01, 09:55
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to Cybris
*applause* at least he didnt put his first post in the guitar section like i did and almost every noob does
Old 2004-09-01, 16:12
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to lamb_of_god Send a message via Yahoo to lamb_of_god
I dig what you mean and I do want to be original with mine, but it's hard to sometimes with stuff like this. I can do wonders on guitar or bass but my singing always falls in to a certain place and I can't get out of it. Dig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Everything is funny you just gotta look at it the right way.

Quote:
You know I believe in a ruling class, particuarly since I rule.

-Randal, Clerks

scientology

MySpace

scientology
Old 2004-09-01, 20:34
Post-whore

I consider myself to want an original voice (as in I thought of a voice that would sound perfect to the music I play) but it just so happens coincidentally it's the same kind of vocal style used in Pig Destroyer and Magrudergrind.
Old 2004-09-01, 21:34
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainttex
I've seen a lot of people say 'force air through your throat' and vocal cords a lot on this thread.

i haven't, in fact i have seen people say the exact oposite
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?
Old 2004-09-01, 21:41
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
The longer your hair is, the prettier your voice will be....Take Tobia Sammet for example.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, dont forget, the longer hair also absorbs some of the "meat" in your voice, so for those true to the power metal way it needs to be AT LEAST knee length. Also your pants MUST have holes in them to allow the hot air that causes manlyness to escape. When these techniqes are combined, the true power metal vocalist is born.

(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?
Old 2004-09-02, 02:29
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

When I first saw the Avantasia cover, I seriously thought it was a chick singer, and holy shit was I wrong.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2004-09-02, 10:25
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion
i haven't, in fact i have seen people say the exact oposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying-oath
it's all in the back of your throat, and you've got to put all you've got into it, or it'll sould like you're a pusy with no air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying-oath
never heard them, but for growling, it's the back of the throat, for straight out screaming, you close off your throat and force air through it... it's difficult, and difficult to explain.....hope this helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikyhairz
Yes, milk products help. Especialy yoghurt, lots of it.
Also, you know how to clear your throut? Grunting is a bit like that "ach-uhm" in your the back of your throut. Try it, and you'll get what I mean.

^------- this is what im talking about. if you 'force air' its gonna be abrassive. all diaphram my friends (you can use your throat for accent sounds for that classic black metal sound, but dont push it. you will be able to get to a point where you can do this non stop without hurting. using the same method i talked about before. resting if it hurts and whatnot.)

BeastOfCarrion - you were the first person i saw that had said the right thing.
Old 2004-09-02, 15:02
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainttex
Come up with your own sound of vocals. It will feel better to you... and i know if i hear somone trying to sound like somone else my first though is 'what an unoriginal douche...'

-Sainttex

if you can only do vocals like frank mullen and are covering a carcass song, you should at least try to do the walker sneer high nasaly thing. so, i disagree there
Old 2004-09-02, 17:43
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
i dunno, i can do alot of different styles of vocals, but my main death metal ones are a low midsy gutteral, a septic sounding low, and chris barnes high. thats what they sound like. i use all diaphram too, except for the high which i use diaphram and throat.
Old 2004-09-03, 10:46
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
if you can only do vocals like frank mullen and are covering a carcass song, you should at least try to do the walker sneer high nasaly thing. so, i disagree there

hahahahahahahhahaha
But ya exactly - covering.
Old 2004-09-05, 07:50
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via ICQ to G_urr_A
I've got a problem with my growling. I just can't sustain it for long enough. After 1.5 seconds, I'm completely empty (trying to go further sounds stupid and makes me feel like I'm going to puke). My lungs were (last time I measured) quite a lot bigger than average for boys my age, and I play the saxophone, and I don't smoke, so I should not have a problem with air supply, but I do. I guess it's something with my technique that isn't right...
What I do is I relax my throat as much as I can, and then push air through it. Makes for a really low, but not very distorted sound. It doesn't hurt, and it makes my clean voice nicer for a short while after each growl. But as I said, I just can't sustain it.
What I'm looking for is a technique that allows me to go from Mikael Ĺkerfeldt of Opeth, to Chris Barnes of Cannibal Corpse and Six Feet Blunder. I'm not really after the higher pitched DM type vocals, but they'd be nice to have too. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 2004-09-05, 14:28
Post-whore

heres a tip. stop trying to be like that fag from opeth. i hate how everyone fucking creams over a guy who can sing and growl, when his singing actually blows ass compared to that beast of a growl he has. and i hate how when everyone is looking for vocalist (hence not fucking singing!) they say they want growls and harmonius singing too. newsflash! very few people can do that. so stop being dipshits and stop singing when it detracts from the true message of death metal, complete and utter brutality. metal is full of pussies these days.

sorry for the rant, opeth just pisses me off.
Old 2004-09-05, 14:45
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via ICQ to G_urr_A
Reread my reply, and I you will see that I there's no explicit reference to his clean vocals. Considering that I mention Chris Barnes as another example, I find it reasonable to assume that I'm talking about the growling.

And, for rants about bands, the band forum is more suitable, IMO, than a thread about singing/growling in the vocals forum.....

Last edited by G_urr_A : 2004-09-05 at 14:48. Reason: Thought of something more to say
Old 2004-09-05, 14:53
Post-whore

alright, i guess since i was an asshole ill help you out. if you running short of breath when you growl, try using your throat a little more, try beastofcarrions solution of drinking coke before you do vocals.
Old 2004-09-05, 19:21
Supreme Metalhead

I am interested in trying some vocals.

My main question is, how do you NOT force air through your throat?

I'm after a kind of thrash rasp (think of the Swedish variety), I can produce a sound like this, but I can't sing a long to a whole song without my vocal chords starting to strain and hurt. I'm obviously focing my throat when I shouldn't be, and this is clearly not the way to go...

So, I should push the air out with my diaphragm? Well, sure...thats how you normally push air out of your lungs, but how do you get it to sound like a pissed of thrash rasp?

I'm I supposed to keep my throat as open as possible and just yell or what?

Also, where do you guys practise vocals? It's a bit hard to sit in my bedroom at home and just scream manically. The neighbours will assume someone is being gorotted.
Old 2004-09-05, 19:42
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
I am interested in trying some vocals.

My main question is, how do you NOT force air through your throat?

I'm after a kind of thrash rasp (think of the Swedish variety), I can produce a sound like this, but I can't sing a long to a whole song without my vocal chords starting to strain and hurt. I'm obviously focing my throat when I shouldn't be, and this is clearly not the way to go...

So, I should push the air out with my diaphragm? Well, sure...thats how you normally push air out of your lungs, but how do you get it to sound like a pissed of thrash rasp?

I'm I supposed to keep my throat as open as possible and just yell or what?

Also, where do you guys practise vocals? It's a bit hard to sit in my bedroom at home and just scream manically. The neighbours will assume someone is being gorotted.

Can't help you, but that last comment is sooooo true. In this sorta shed like thing I have in my back yard (where I have my drums) sometimes I want to go practice but I get embarrassed in case anyone hear's me.
Old 2004-09-06, 04:42
Life is pain.
Banned

i fucken scream when and where i fucking want. my room is right on the street and im 100% sure people think im getting raped.
Old 2004-09-06, 15:57
Post-whore

just put a cd on like 3/4s volume on your stereo and practice.