MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
Old 2006-10-01, 10:01
New Blood

Melissa Cross sucks balls. Worst technique on earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdjoK8D6DwI

She's actually against pushing hard.
Old 2006-10-07, 16:11
Post-whore

She is horrible. She gives her self way to much credit for the shit she does. which isnt even good
Old 2006-10-11, 12:50
New Blood

don't know if this is the right place for this but i guess someone will tell me quick enough... id love some feedback on a scream i do in hallowed be thy name on my myspace profile..its about 4mins into the song and just before the guitar solos..if u wanna check it out the address is www.myspace.com/chrisleadscreams ..any constructive critisism would be great cheers..
Old 2006-10-23, 16:38
Senior Metalhead

Um i made a topic about black metal vocals can anyone explain it please?
Old 2006-11-04, 18:48
New Blood

whell some tips would be practice the voice cause i have this super weird scream thing and at first i had trouble using it but later kept it because of practicing so try to do it each day and growls are harder than screaming
Old 2006-11-21, 07:08
Senior Metalhead

A good grunt (or growl as it is called in this thread) needs practice. For me, it took something like four years to get one. I practice every day, no matter where, except for the classroom when I have college. People sometimes think it necessary to look strange if I do so, and they are right, but I really enjoy.
There are also some grunters you'd better not try to imitate, like Robert Westerholt of Within Temptation on their first CDs. His grunt does not make sense. It sounds more like gargling than grunts. But try some black metal bands, like Dimmu Borgir, Graveworm, BDM, and more of that kind.
By the way, the BDM screams are not difficult. Just grunt without trying to get a deep sound. Open your mouth like you are calling someone quite far away. This I hope will make you be a good screamer of BDM songs. Good luck!

MASKED
Old 2007-01-06, 23:06
New Blood

Question tips?

Just recently my friend and I decided to leave our death metal band and start a black metal band. I was all for it because personally I like BM more than I do DM. The problem is is that my vocal strength is DM growls ...well, they sound like Stefan from Graveworm and Peter from November's Doom growls but I can't get them as loud as I'd like. Anyway, back to the point, I need a more BM voice for my new band. I am unable to reach any high note (I was in a grindcore band before the DM band and I screamed a lot, and now I can't) anymore so I was wondering what I can do to possibly fix that. Bassically what I'm looking for is advice on how to go from DM to BM and on how to hit high notes without having to screech, since when I try to hit a high note with a clean voice nothing happens, I sound like I'm whispering and it's really embarrassing since I've always thought of myself as a vocalist. I'm only 16, so does this have any effect on my abilities as a BM/DM vocalist? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2007-01-15, 12:08
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doometal76
...well, they sound like Stefan from Graveworm...

The guy is called Stefano, for he is Italian.

MASKED
Old 2007-02-08, 04:20
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via Yahoo to belphegor79
Use your stomach. It's like lifting heavy objects, where you need strong legs. Start from the stomach, and appropriately bridge the gap between your stomach and throat. If you just use your throat as the power source, you'll lose your voice.
Old 2007-02-18, 01:57
New Blood

Hello all.
I've been trying to nail this screaming/growling thing for a few months now, I thought I had exhales down (all I did was use the phlegm in my throat and push a whisper) but it proves to be a tad unreliable, It cracks and cuts in and out, and judging by the way other people do it and describe it, I don't think that's the right way. I am able to do inward lows and highs, but that's not quite what I'm going for, (plus I heard it burns your chords out) unless I wanna pig squeel and whathave you.

I had been sifting through many posts, threads, and articles across the internet and still the true exhale scream method that I can understand eludes me. I just wanna know if I'm heading in the right direction. finally, here's my question; I can attain one of those high pitched girly screams or shrieks (like she saw a rat or an axe murderer or even that girl scream in the beginning of that job for a cowboy song), can I use that to work off of to get a good exhale? and if so, how?
Old 2007-02-19, 09:46
Senior Metalhead

I am screaming and grunting for up to four years now, and this is how it worked for me:

I started with the first After Forever CD (Prison of Desire) and tried to imitate Sander Gommans, which the first months went quite bad, because I was gorgling rather than grunting. It sounded like nothing at all. It was even worse than Robert Westerholt from Within Temptation. Then my brother sayd that even a bass guitar would sound harder than me, so I tried to make it sound harder. Had problems with it first, but some months practice helps alot. I then bought the second After Forever CD (Decypher) and went on.
Good hint between the lines: do not try to imitate Robert from WT, because it is fucked up.
Some times after that (about half a year) I decided to try grunt things from Dimmu Borgir, and I am two years further. Now everyone in my prev highschool liking grunts wants me to teach them. I of course say 'no' everytime, because you have to teach it yourself by listening to ones that CAN grunt.

You'll have to force your voice (not too much in the beginning, for you'll get very sick then), else you will not hear any grunt.

The grunters considered good in this forum most of the time ARE good. So try them out.

MASKED
Old 2007-03-17, 21:28
Senior Metalhead

I was looking to try out Tomas Lindberg's style, Slaughter Of The Soul era.

Can anyone do it, if so, can you explain it to me?
Old 2007-04-01, 17:27
Senior Metalhead

the vocal in Kataklysm's 'Road to Devastation'... the one singing 'Son confront me, kneel before me'... is it inhale vocal?
Old 2007-04-02, 07:46
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolothurN
the vocal in Kataklysm's 'Road to Devastation'... the one singing 'Son confront me, kneel before me'... is it inhale vocal?

It sounds like it. Its a guest vocal appearance by Tim Roth from Into Eternity. But im not 100% sure its inhale.
Old 2007-04-05, 11:27
Post-whore

i searched through all of the thread and couldn't realy find much

can someone explain to me how to do BM vox
from the ground up? i have absolutely no idea
very descriptive please
Old 2007-04-05, 19:52
Post-whore

^
Old 2007-04-06, 10:34
Post-whore

^
Old 2007-04-06, 16:44
Metalhead

its really hard to explain. other people who can scream that i know have said they figured it out themselves and so have i. its really hard to teach someone these things ill try though. to get the idea of what your trying to do, do one of them wisper screams that sound like the BM screams. and if you feel your neck tense up and widen out sorta its the right concept. the tensing up you should be feeling is widening your neck out but you want it more tense so that if you were too look into the mirror in your mouth the dangley thing should go "up" and only the tip of it visable and the flaps on the side should close in to the area the dangly thing is. once you can get all of those you should be able to use a louder voice than a whisper and you should get that sound. so the whole concept is to close your throat up so you get a higher pitched sounds. and again its hard to teach people these things so this may not make any sence at all. hope it helps...
Old 2007-04-06, 19:16
Post-whore

tank you
ill walk a mile into the woods and try it out
Old 2007-05-09, 19:42
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
I was looking to try out Tomas Lindberg's style, Slaughter Of The Soul era.

Can anyone do it, if so, can you explain it to me?

^